Are we just accepting shaw will leave in summer?

Roger

I think the press are convinced he is going. But the only thing next season he can get else where is Europe.

Plays every week for us, in the England squad (could easily be starting left back next season).

Don't think it's a given he will go.

The lazy British press probably have a list of teams from 1 to whatever.

Any good player in some form at a club, except no 1, is expected to move up the hierarchy, simple journalism !

OK so when he does move as seems likely, will you accept that that's a foolish comment and that as a rule, the best players normally end up moving to the best teams?

If he does go we're going to get a lot of money (30 million is the usual figure quoted I think) we could strengthen the team quite a bit with 30 million. Having said that I'd love him to stay but if he does go it doesn't have to be a disaster.

We spent over £30 million on Gaston and Osvaldo

Prefer to keep shaw than gamble

OK so when he does move as seems likely, will you accept that that's a foolish comment and that as a rule, the best players normally end up moving to the best teams?

Maybe we are trying to buck the trend , change the hierarchy, bend your rule a bit, by keeping our best players and making ourselves one of the best teams.

But what do I know, it's certainly easier to accept the status quo !

It is naive to believe that Shaw will be here this time next season. I would love it if he stayed but 30million or thereabouts is still a massive amount of money. I read elsewhere on here that he and his family want him to go to Man U. With a bit of luck Real Madrid / Man City etc also come in for him and a bidding war starts up.

As long as the majority of the money is used in keeping the rest of the team together then the loss will be worthwhile. He is the least of my concerns of our better players leaving, replacing AL ,to a degree JRod Mprgan or Lovren would be very difficult

It is naive to believe that Shaw will be here this time next season. I would love it if he stayed but 30million or thereabouts is still a massive amount of money. I read elsewhere on here that he and his family want him to go to Man U. With a bit of luck Real Madrid / Man City etc also come in for him and a bidding war starts up.

As long as the majority of the money is used in keeping the rest of the team together then the loss will be worthwhile. He is the least of my concerns of our better players leaving, replacing AL ,to a degree JRod Mprgan or Lovren would be very difficult

Agree with that except the first sentence. It is not naive to think that if MP signs a new contract the group of players might stay another season. In the past when good players moved on we were not in a position to challenge in the top league, next season with this group plus a couple of additions we could be a force.

On the other hand we could buy a Lovern, Waynama and a J-rod for 30 million.....

Like i said... Its a gamble? One that id not risk

Tim (from the office) summed it up

If you look at life/ shaw like rolling a dice, then my situation now, as it stands - yeah, it may only be a 3. If I jack that in now, go for something bigger and better, yeah, I could easily roll a six - no problem, I could roll a 6... I could also roll a 1. OK? So, I think sometimes... Just leave the dice alone

Agree with that except the first sentence. It is not naive to think that if MP signs a new contract the group of players might stay another season. In the past when good players moved on we were not in a position to challenge in the top league, next season with this group plus a couple of additions we could be a force.
fair comment but I think the lure of a massive club and wages that go with it will be too much. Add to the media circus that unsettles the rest of the squad and it may be best for all.

If we sell him, technically, we have LOST a £30 million pound player.

Good Prem Standard Left Backs are hard to find and clubs knowing that we have 30 million to spend will increase the prices of their players too (like what happened at Spurs this season)

I'm agreeing with GS here, I'd rather not take a gamble.

I'm the loving the British core of our team and if I'm honest, I don't want him replaced by some foreign export.

If we sell him, technically, we have LOST a £30 million pound player.

Good Prem Standard Left Backs are hard to find and clubs knowing that we have 30 million to spend will increase the prices of their players too (like what happened at Spurs this season)

I'm agreeing with GS here, I'd rather not take a gamble.

I'm the loving the British core of our team and if I'm honest, I don't want him replaced by some foreign export.

Absolutely this - if this club wants to be what it aspires to, then keeping Shaw is of paramount importance.

Morons on here and in the media have been claiming he's leaving ever since last since season and the will-he-won't-he sign a professional contract saga.

A year and a half on and he's still here - true this summer will be a massive test and the speculation will build the longer he stays and develops. But it's frankly odd to give up the ghost when we have many advantages other 'big' clubs don't.

Edited by shurlock

Morons on here and in the media have been claiming he's leaving ever since last since season and the will-he-won't-he sign a professional contract saga.

A year and a half on and he's still here - true this summer will be a massive test and the speculation will build the longer he stays and develops. But it's frankly odd to give up the ghost when we have many advantages other 'big' clubs don't.

It's the same way they always play it though - based on the fact very few players stay at one club an entire career eventually you'll get the "I told you so" and "another exclusive" comments. The same will be done to the manager.

Re Shaw I'm inclined to agree with you there are advantages to him staying a year or two longer. All the "big" contenders rotate so he'd be looking at playing two thirds of the time max.

The lad's a Chelsea fan, so if he's going anywhere it'll be there - he's Cole's natural successor. I think MP can play a big role in convincing him to stay for a bit longer though, they've got a great relationship and Luke's said in the press several times how much of a big influence he's been on him. Said similar things about Cortese too. His parents seem sensible too (unlike that money-grabbing skate Mark Chamberlain) and they might play a role in persuading him to stay with us for another year or possibly two.

Although if we're looking at it like he's definitely going to leave this summer, Man Utd isn't a particularly attractive option at the moment. Lots of uncertainty about the manager and the squad needs a big overhaul. If I was Luke and I knew Man Utd were after me I would give it a season to see how they progress under Moyes, because why move to Utd now when I could also play for the team I support (Chelsea) for a manager who's idolised by the fans, and also play in Europe with them before I even turn 19? Most of his family are near London too. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

That is completely wrong. Luke and his family want him to stay at Saints for a few years yet. The club don't want to sell either. Unless RM/ Citeh offer huge money (£50m) he will be here next September.

Relax, he is playing every week with his mates he grew up with, he is getting England recognition and the best possible back room facilities/ support in the UK. He and his family know this, they know there's no rush and Saints will be a big part of getting him to fulfil his potential. Other clubs will try and unsettle him by letting the media know they are interested (newspapers don't invent these stories, sorry to break that to some of you), however big difference between clubs wanting him and what Luke/ Saints want.

Source? Fellow player that's known Luke since they were 9.

That is completely wrong. Luke and his family want him to stay at Saints for a few years yet. The club don't want to sell either. Unless RM/ Citeh offer huge money (£50m) he will be here next September.

Relax, he is playing every week with his mates he grew up with, he is getting England recognition and the best possible back room facilities/ support in the UK. He and his family know this, they know there's no rush and Saints will be a big part of getting him to fulfil his potential. Other clubs will try and unsettle him by letting the media know they are interested (newspapers don't invent these stories, sorry to break that to some of you), however big difference between clubs wanting him and what Luke/ Saints want.

:D:D:D

This.

If MP signs a new contract, Shaw will stay.
That is what I have heard as well....... Today's story was brought to us by Dean Jones from the Sunday People/Mirror and earlier this year he did a Q&A session with Football Writers Association where he said
Best ever player?

Eric Cantona.

Best ever teams (club and international)?

Club... Manchester United 1999

International... France 2000.

I think I know who he supports

I think he is leaving, but what do i know!!

There comes a point where he will want to play CL football & be an England regular. Unless something remarkable happens he wont get that at Saints.

That also ignores him potentially doubling, trebling his wages.

What fans of other clubs that i know have watched us play them this season keep saying though, is that we look a really tight team. Maybe he wants to stay a part of that for just a little longer??

:lol:

It's like the neverending mare for the lad.

Leave him alone, all he wants is for the entire forum to be about him all the time. Is that really too much to ask?

I think Shaw probably will leave in summer. I wouldn't put money on it but if I had to make a guess either way, I would suggest Champions League (not at Utd obviously) and regular England football will turn his head.

Might also depend a bit on how we as a club rate Targett. If Shaw wants to go, I doubt there is much Saints ultimately can do to stop it.

However even if Shaw is happy to spend a few more season here, but the club highly rate Targett, theres a chance we'll cash in on 30m surely?

If he was as close to the first team as some people suggest, I think we would have seen a bit more of him.

I personally think he'll stay here for at least one more season and then assess his options at the end of next season - if we have another great season, finishing top 6-8, and we can give him a decent wage, then there's no need for him to go anywhere. He's said he's happy here, I have no reason to believe otherwise.