Saints email list 1992-1995 (ish) and Saintsweb launch

Bordeaux

Here's a blast from the past.... is anyone still on Saintsweb who attended the launch of Saintsweb at Soton Uni in 1996. Present were, Andy Steggal, Matty Le Tiss and a number of Saintsweb founders from the original internet supporter's entity, the Saints Mailing List. That was started by Iain Barclay, and nobly adopted by Dave Currie when Iain's server crashed, and the very first (or second or more) person to sign up to that list, after Iain, was George Lennan... anyone remember him?

"George Lennan? Now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time."

"I think my uncle knows him. He said he was dead."

"Oh, he's not dead. Not yet."

"You know him?"

"Well, of course I know him. He's me."

yes its me!! I am that ghost of teh 1990s George Lennan :o) Lived in Bordeaux for many years now, oh since before you were born... etc etc.... and haven't been active on saints forums for many a year, though always been lurking, here and at the Ugly. Thing is, pseudos don't let you see who's about from when we all used our real names.... so...

come on, out of the closet all you mail listers... who's still here after all these years? It would be great to hear from you!

best

George

Here's a blast from the past.... is anyone still on Saintsweb who attended the launch of Saintsweb at Soton Uni in 1996. Present were, Andy Steggal, Matty Le Tiss and a number of Saintsweb founders from the original internet supporter's entity, the Saints Mailing List. That was started by Iain Barclay, and nobly adopted by Dave Currie when Iain's server crashed, and the very first (or second or more) person to sign up to that list, after Iain, was George Lennan... anyone remember him?

"George Lennan? Now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time."

"I think my uncle knows him. He said he was dead."

"Oh, he's not dead. Not yet."

"You know him?"

"Well, of course I know him. He's me."

yes its me!! I am that ghost of teh 1990s George Lennan :o) Lived in Bordeaux for many years now, oh since before you were born... etc etc.... and haven't been active on saints forums for many a year, though always been lurking, here and at the Ugly. Thing is, pseudos don't let you see who's about from when we all used our real names.... so...

come on, out of the closet all you mail listers... who's still here after all these years? It would be great to hear from you!

best

George

Welcome George! There are quite a few of us old Saintslist members on here, as you'd expect!

DC even came and went at one stage too on this version of the forum.

Welcome Bordeux yes I was there that day . I still have a copy of the photo with MLT . I also have a signed copy of the screen print out dave did .

Yes dave currie is still happily married living in Scotland . I'm a facebook friend . Does a lot of mountain bike stuff and enjoying life .

Regards

Ps I'm still a member of the saints list .

Mike

I spent the last two weeks in Dumfries and Galloway , and talking of dave currie . I have only just realised I was staying with in a mile if where he was staying . Damn would have been good to have met up with him and Beth after all these years .

Ps Dumfries and Galloway brilliant area to explore if your ever up in Scotland

I was at the launch at the Uni (got my picture in the next Saints programme) and also wrote a few match reports for the 1st website.

I seem to remember that it went a bit sour when Dave got involved with Uncle Rupert and later regretted it. I stopped contributing when the club wanted to edit the reports (ie remove any criticism).

I remember posting on saints list once asking why people didnt use a forum/newsgroups and got a right telling off....

I remember that conversation coming up a couple of times, I think the common theme was that "it's too anonymous and the Saintslist is friendly as we use our real names". Yes? ;)

What's your real name Viking? I can't remember a viking warrior on the list... then again alzheimer's is kicking in...

I Lived in Brighton back then, and stopped over at Dave's at the end of the 95 96 season after the last match when we stayed up on GD and Alan Ball's ( he's short he's fat...) Man City went down - poetic justice after he walked out on us. Now the thing is, I thought we won that game, but the stats show a 0-0 v. Wimbledon.... so it must have been at the final whistle (and not when we scored) that I punched the air in victory and accidentally got Dave square in the eye, poor lad. He still let me kip on his sofa though. There were a couple of others there too I think. Could have been Beth, yeah....

Dave and Beth are doing well

He thinks bordeux (George slept on his floor around that time

Maybe you can confirm that George

I was on Saintslist when it moved to the Uni server. That was in the olden days of 14/28k modems and a phone line and trolls were kids toys with ginger hair hanging off a key ring. I remember a Saintslist get together in a pub just around the corner from The Dell near the old cricket ground where I met many members of the list, and if memory serves me right, Ted Bates came along too.

Dave Currie and I became very good friends for many years, but I didn't know he'd gone back to Scotland. We lost touch some time ago.

There was a crowd of us that regularly used to meet up at the Varsity for lunch before a match. Me and wifey, with DC and Beth, Minty, Matt Mullen, Jon Short and a few others.

They were happy days and I'm still on Saintslist (just about).

Wow Saintslist is still going?? I was on there in the mid 1990's whilst at Uni. It seemed so much easier back then on UNIX SGi machines and having to type syntax and stuff I have long since forgotten. I remember Jon Stallard being very good value for his match reports and general all-round view of the world! Also Herbie and Minty were regulars. More of a lurker I have to say.. same on here really.

Runs off to find the 'List and re-subscribe!

"Me and wifey, with DC and Beth, Minty, Matt Mullen, Jon Short and a few others."

This is more like it!! Names - come one come on, more Matt Mullens and Jon Shorts! Who else was there? Who are you? Stop being shy!

I was on Saintslist when it moved to the Uni server. That was in the olden days of 14/28k modems and a phone line and trolls were kids toys with ginger hair hanging off a key ring. I remember a Saintslist get together in a pub just around the corner from The Dell near the old cricket ground where I met many members of the list, and if memory serves me right, Ted Bates came along too.

Dave Currie and I became very good friends for many years, but I didn't know he'd gone back to Scotland. We lost touch some time ago.

There was a crowd of us that regularly used to meet up at the Varsity for lunch before a match. Me and wifey, with DC and Beth, Minty, Matt Mullen, Jon Short and a few others.

They were happy days and I'm still on Saintslist (just about).

Was that the one at what is now the Blue Keys hotel in Northlands Road? I forget what it used to be called - hopefully someone will remind me. If it was the same one, it was a terrific do with the great man there. After a home game, if I remember correctly - maybe last game of the season as i recall it was a nice warm day.

Saintslist was good fun. I remember turning out in goal for them once up at the Sports centre - which is unusual as i am pretty dire at playing football. :)

Was that the one at what is now the Blue Keys hotel in Northlands Road? I forget what it used to be called - hopefully someone will remind me. If it was the same one, it was a terrific do with the great man there. After a home game, if I remember correctly - maybe last game of the season as i recall it was a nice warm day.

Saintslist was good fun. I remember turning out in goal for them once up at the Sports centre - which is unusual as i am pretty dire at playing football. :)

For some reason, West Ham lingers in my memory, but it certainly was a very hot day. I can remember chatting to Rich Ember and Regan Atkinson. I think Ted Bates was quite infirm and was possibly in a wheelchair when he arrived. I can't remember who chaperoned him, but my feeling is that it might have been Lawrie Mac.

Saintslist was great in its day, and when I modded the list for years, I think back to all those things that we thought were important at the time, but really weren't. I think I took it far too seriously at the time.

As someone mentioned anonymity earlier, well, Saintslist had its anonymous members. There was one bloke who referred to me as the "Blakey" of Saintslist (referring to On The Buses for younger readers). He was on the list for about a year using the name Kaleid Amia. Lots of people thought he was an Asian listee, but in fact, the day he left the list, he let the cat out of the bag, and his name was an anagram of I Am A Dalek. Quite funny.

"Me and wifey, with DC and Beth, Minty, Matt Mullen, Jon Short and a few others."

This is more like it!! Names - come one come on, more Matt Mullens and Jon Shorts! Who else was there? Who are you? Stop being shy!

Bernard Delmage anyone ????

I was at the launch at the Uni (got my picture in the next Saints programme)

I was there that day too!

As MLT was leaving, I stepped forward and said "Matt, on behalf of everyone here, I'd also like to thank you for stuffing Pompey the other day!"

He shook my hand and said "It was a pleasure!"

One of the proudest moments of my life!

Hi - I'm Iain - nice to hear from everyone!

I was just thinking about that MLT meet the other day, I got him to sign my cinema ticket for the film Se7en, which seemed apt (to me, anyway).

I well remember the panic when the mailing list I was illicitly running on a work server got discovered, good job DC came to the rescue.

Take care,

Iain

Iain! fabulous- the holy grail!

I was hoping for a few good old names (and haven't been disappointed) but never thought to hear from the Creator himself! Happy days! What have you been up to for twenty years?

George

Hi - I'm Iain - nice to hear from everyone!

I was just thinking about that MLT meet the other day, I got him to sign my cinema ticket for the film Se7en, which seemed apt (to me, anyway).

I well remember the panic when the mailing list I was illicitly running on a work server got discovered, good job DC came to the rescue.

Take care,

Iain