We Dont Realise How Lucky We Are!!

corky morris

I went to Old Trafford last night with my 2 youngest lads to watch Bayern as my employer has 4 season tickets.

None of us could get over just how 70's Man Utd were! Two banks of 4 which was sometimes 5 sitting behind the ball defending the 18 yard line. At one stage Bayern had 80& possession!

It made us realise just how lucky we are to watch a young progressive team each week.

Man Utd then hoofed the ball up to Welbeck or Rooney & tried to hit Bayern on the break. In fairness you have to applaud the effort of Man Utd, but no one had the ability to turn the opposition when they had a ball at their feet like Lallana can. Fellaini who has terrorised us over the years was absolutely shocking. Matt LeTissier got grief for not running enough, but this guy makes him look like a Marathon runner.

Watching that made me grateful that we have a team with many English, young & talented footballers who are instructed by the manager to play the 'right way'.

Dont get me wrong I am still very ****ed off about the cup game at Sunderland, but even then Rickie missed an open goal so it could have been different & we could certainly have more points!

Our starting 11 against Newcastle cost about £20m most of which was Rodriguez & Lovren. Man Utd paid a lot more than that for Fellaini!

So without being a happy clappy Saints fan, I reckon we should stop & think for a minute about just how good a season Saints have had & how we have played football with style & passion with a team of talented footballers that has certainly made me proud to be a Saints fan!!!

Yeah, how would we get on against such a good Bayern team :?

I would like to bet we would have more than 25% possession!

How much money have Man Utd spent?? Should our expectations be the same?

Football is about entertainment, about lads, dads & grandads spending time together.

Its all about trophies.................................................might be to some, not to me. Dont remember feeling any better after we won the FA Cup than I did after the JPT. Actually JPT was better because 2 of my lads were there. Its about how we play too. Thats why Branfoot was hated so much.

Last night shows just how far Man Utd have fallen IMHO.

Our aim is not to win the PL. We dont have the money or the fan base.

Football is about entertainment, about lads, dads & grandads spending time together.

Its all about trophies.................................................might be to some, not to me. Dont remember feeling any better after we won the FA Cup than I did after the JPT. Actually JPT was better because 2 of my lads were there. Its about how we play too. Thats why Branfoot was hated so much.

Branfoot was hated for many reasons, dropping LeTissier, long ball, crap results, not solely poor football.

Fair point in the OP about Man U being so "70's".

In fact we commented on it while watching in the Pub last night. Who the hell plays a straight 4-4-2 these days?

Does Moyes have Mike Bassett on permanent loop at home?

I get the media saying he needs time but to see them playing such woeful out of date football - was kind of like watching England at the last World Cup.

In fact we commented on it while watching in the Pub last night. Who the hell plays a straight 4-4-2 these days?

I get the media saying he needs time but to see them playing such woeful out of date football - was kind of like watching England at the last World Cup.

It was the Champions League so different tactics apply, they also have injuries, United are the only side to consistenly play with wingers in their modern day history.

tbf on ole moyes he didn't have much choice last night, if they'd tried to go toe to toe with bayern they would've got tonked. His tactics worked out pretty well i thought, they could easily have won that dumb game.

If we ever get to play Bayern i wouldn't be turning my nose up at a 1-1 draw, even if we is only getting 25% possession.

OP, stop worrying! We are very much aware of how lucky we are. OK everyone watched last night's game on ITV; ManUre were unimaginative and flat footed and couldn't pass for toffee and in comparison made Saints look like Barcelona.

They didn't lose 'though and it proves you need more than pretty passing and possession to win football matches, which is what they nearly did if that completely useless t.wat of a twit Welbeck hadn't screwed up more than once on gimmies. They had a game plan, stuck to it with discipline and got a result ... pretty it wasn't but then again for all the favourable stats Bayern looked predictable as well with endless cross field passing in front of ManUre. Ferdinand & Vidic played a blinder and we too will find it difficult to find a way through if they recapture that form.

The test will come on May 11th at SMS when once again goofball could be the order of the day from the visitors.

I agree Corky. We play a very similar style to Bayern with full backs as the wide outlets, and lots of movement up front, and dominating possession. I would rather watch my team with the ball than the display that MU put up at home where they decided not to play, just defend and hope. If they had defended any deeper they would have been in the stands.

I agree regarding how far utd have fallen but realistically that was a v v good performance against what is arguably the best team in europe right now, they managed to get forward and worry Bayern and despite all of Bayerns possession it was effectively 2 long shots and a volley.

Im really not sure we could have done any better, in fact I think we would have been buried by them.

You cant really criticise the man, he was up against what is going to be european champions again TBH and arguably the best manager in world football right now.

They also dropped into more of a 451 in defence and pushed back up to a more 4411 in attack with rooney in behind welbeck but as I said criticising his tactics is a bit dopey. He set the team up well TBH, Id love to have read the comments if he matched them and got a toeing

The only reason Man U are doing ok in Europe is that they can revert to becoming Everton against the bigger teams. Get a few draws and snatch the odd win. All they are missing for a bit of decent success is a Tim Cahill to snatch a set piece goal and help grind out a 1-0 in Munich.

Wonderful dive by Rooney to get Schweinsteiger sent off. 5.9 scores right across the board for style and technical ability.

I'm hopeful that BM will stuff them at home.

He wasn't sent off because of the dive, it was a rash tackle.

A right good stuffing would be very agreeable :p

I couldn't stand all the sycophantic overexcitement last night whenever Man U did something special, like make a pass. Don't the commentators realise that far more people hate them than want them to do well?

I couldn't stand all the sycophantic overexcitement last night whenever Man U did something special, like make a pass. Don't the commentators realise that far more people hate them than want them to do well?

This. Don't get any of this 'support the English teams in europe' nonsense

Seemed OK to me. Both players went for a 50/50 ball is how I saw it and the boy Rooney made a meal of his dive to con the ref.

I agree with your sentiments about the commentary though. Whenever Man Utd play in Europe, I support the other team more often than not and I suspect that I'm not very different from many who hate the club with the highest proportion of plastic fans in the World.

On the rare ocasions when United play the Skates, I'm really torn as to which team I wish to succeed, but that's pretty well the only time when I have doubts and that isn't likely to happen again in many a year to come now.

Dont think it´s just yesterdays game that has made OP having this opinion even if it´s that game he´s talking about.....but I could be wrong?

They have fallen low, and when people say that it´s because you expect something else from a Manchester United side. Likewise people watch Saints and dont have the same expectations and therefore are pleasantly surprised on how we play football at the moment.

But back to United, just look at the game against Fulham they had a month or so ago. Only plan they had where to put crosses in the box, was it like 80-90 of them in the game?

Looked very much like Everton under Moyes but the difference was that Everton had played like that for years and knew how to make it efficient, Uniteds team dont.

:lol: if mopo had changed tactics and stiffled the current champions league winners, he'd be hailed a tactical genius. If Moyes does it, he's Mike Bassett stuck in the 70's

:lol: classic SWF

you should go and post on your own favourite teams board instead of your boring constant negative drivel. Yes Man U have won lots, it means nothing to me. My best footballing moment was watching Saints beat your lot with a last minute winner at FP. It wasnt winning a cup it felt a lot better. The medals are for the players, the pride is in my hoem town club

United did what they had to do to get the result, and Moyes got his tactics spot-on. I'd worry more about how they set out in the Premier League when they play lesser opposition.

I'm sure Pochettino would be wise enough to change our approach if we were playing Bayern Munich...but we'd get slaughtered either way.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Man United have won almost 40 trophies – including 13 Premier League titles the past 26/27 years. In the same time we have won............. the JPT cup

But yes we should remember just how lucky we are

Go and support them then !

I went to Old Trafford last night with my 2 youngest lads to watch Bayern as my employer has 4 season tickets.

None of us could get over just how 70's Man Utd were! Two banks of 4 which was sometimes 5 sitting behind the ball defending the 18 yard line. At one stage Bayern had 80& possession!

Whilst I agree entirely with the sentiment of your post, feel grateful we have the manger we do, who plays this dynamic style of football we play this draconian Man United team are still 6 points, 5 goals and 1 place better off than us in the table.

Never really got the Man United hate. Yes they have a lot if helmet plastic fans but they are no more annoying than spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool fans. They are a club to be admired IMO. Always had a good academy and produced quality players, including IMO two of the greatest British players of last 30 years in Giggs and Scholes. Ferguson also built teams rather than buying the best individuals, you look at his transfer policy through his 20 years of success and it was always buying the best young talent available, he never really brought superstars in the way Chelsea and Man city do, in the main is was quality young talent and mould them into a Man United team. They also played an exciting attacking brand of football and there was never a dull moment watching them. People moan about Fergie time and the way man united where under him but that's because he was a winner and never accepted anything less than that. They might well be doing a Liverpool for the next few years but I've always felt they won and did it the right way.

Edited by Turkish

Never really got the Man United hate. Yes they have a lot if helmet plastic fans but they are no more annoying than spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool fans. They are a club to be admired IMO. Always had a good academy and produced quality players, including IMO two of the greatest British players of last 30 years in Giggs and Scholes. Ferguson also built teams rather than buying the best individuals, you look at his transfer policy through his 20 years of success and it was always buying the best young talent available, he never tray brought superstars in the way Chelsea and Man city do. They also played an exciting attacking brand of football. People moan about Fergie time and the way man united where under him but that's because he was a winner and never accepted anything less than that. They might well be doing a Liverpool for the next few years but I've always felt they won and did it the right way.

Very well said.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Man United have won almost 40 trophies – including 13 Premier League titles the past 26/27 years. In the same time we have won............. the JPT cup

But yes we should remember just how lucky we are

Clearly you cannot read or understand the OP.

you really are a moron aren't you?

Never really got the Man United hate. Yes they have a lot if helmet plastic fans but they are no more annoying than spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool fans. They are a club to be admired IMO. Always had a good academy and produced quality players, including IMO two of the greatest British players of last 30 years in Giggs and Scholes. Ferguson also built teams rather than buying the best individuals, you look at his transfer policy through his 20 years of success and it was always buying the best young talent available, he never really brought superstars in the way Chelsea and Man city do, in the main is was quality young talent and mould them into a Man United team. They also played an exciting attacking brand of football and there was never a dull moment watching them. People moan about Fergie time and the way man united where under him but that's because he was a winner and never accepted anything less than that. They might well be doing a Liverpool for the next few years but I've always felt they won and did it the right way.

Got to agree with this, United have had remarkable success and have done it the right way. No players bigger than the team, lots of British talent. Basically, Fergie bread teams of winners, not a bad model for Saints to follow I'd say.

:lol: if mopo had changed tactics and stiffled the current champions league winners, he'd be hailed a tactical genius. If Moyes does it, he's Mike Bassett stuck in the 70's

:lol: classic SWF

Bit previously you just quoted how good they were compared to us, then you come out with this, it is contradictory and senseless. Dear oh dear, you really are just a moronic WUM aren't you.

you should go and post on your own favourite teams board instead of your boring constant negative drivel. Yes Man U have won lots, it means nothing to me. My best footballing moment was watching Saints beat your lot with a last minute winner at FP. It wasnt winning a cup it felt a lot better. The medals are for the players, the pride is in my hoem town club

so GS is a skate, never really considered it but it does all make sense then, skate bastard.

What annoys me is the favourable treatment they have always had, especially at Old Trafford. How long was it before a visiting team got a penalty? My theory as to why they have not been so all-powerful in Europe is that they have neutral referees.

This. Never had a problem with Man United.

I save my irrational big club hatred for Liverpool.

This basically, though many people tend to form their opinions to suit the masses

Ferguson's a bully, but this is all true.

I suppose it's just boring when the same team wins all the time.

I watch a lot of football on telly and find myself thinking more and more how enjoyable we are to watch. I accept that my bias is entrenched but I have also been a little embarrassed at the quality of our football at a couple of junctures..Branfoot era, alehouse brawlers accusation maybe but most teams don't play as nice football as we do.

And yes, it does count whether we win or not..I'm illogically proud of this team, more so for the fact that it's come through the divisions and so much is home produced....and I really don't care how many trophies anybody else has won!

Good post.

IMHO the main reason that there is so much hate for MAN U is because for ages, they have been annoyingly good! Us Brits love an underdog.

Edited by Goatboy

Yep completely agree - a club to be admired. Done things the right way and produced some marvelous players over the years.