Gazzaniga

Glasgow_Saint

A lot better today but still a lot of work to be done. Should be catching crosses more often, although whilst his confidence is low I understand him wanting to just get rid - however punching shots that are directly at him instead of catching them are the absolute basics. I noticed watching the City game that a couple of times he closed his eyes and turned his face away when shots were coming in, be interesting to see if that was the case today - a keeper that's afraid of the ball, amazing.

A lot better today but still a lot of work to be done. Should be catching crosses more often, although whilst his confidence is low I understand him wanting to just get rid - however punching shots that are directly at him instead of catching them are the absolute basics.

May have been instructed to do that. I didn't see the whole game, but my reaction from what I did see was that he'd probably been told to get rid asap by punching them out. There were several instances such as the repeated corners where you'd have thought he would at least try to gather the ball, but punched it out for another corner instead.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Was very young and inexperienced when with us, no surprise to see him doing so well now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

That’s kind of my point. He got to an age where players in certain positions should be coming to their peak so we go rid and signed someone younger. Anyone with a bit of a clue about football could see Gazzaniga had good qualities and as a keeper had plenty of years to progress. ‘No surprise’ to us seems like it would be a massive shock to those running our club.

• 4 years later...
5 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Just a random thought this morning and i remembered he is the starting keeper at girona who are doing pretty well.

Fairplay to him, level on pts with madrid.

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 07.01.34.png

isn't Girona also who Ori left us for or am I misremembering? Crazy to leave for your hometown club, then go to Barca late in your career, then see your boyhood club above them in the table without you! Obviously early season but what a story.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, leeham_69 said:

isn't Girona also who Ori left us for or am I misremembering? Crazy to leave for your hometown club, then go to Barca late in your career, then see your boyhood club above them in the table without you! Obviously early season but what a story.

Yes and he is tipped to return at the end of the season to Girona. 

3 hours ago, leeham_69 said:

Girona are not Oriol's hometown club. H was born in Ulldecona (in south Catalnia), whereas Girona is in the north of Catalonia. Hs boyhood club (i.e. where he played) was Barcelona. I think the attraction of Gerona was that it is a Catalan club (like Barca) and Oriol identifies strongly as a Catalan (he represents Catalonia in "international" football, although they are not a full FIFA country.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Think it also shows that GK’s take longer to reach their potential.

....and yet another reason for people to understand that it can take young keepers a considerable time to mature, and although some fans

found it easy to blame Bazunu for some errors last season .. IMHO .. he has improved " out of sight"  this season. 

Thinking back many decades, very few teenage keepers came through at that age and a few eventually went onto play at international level.

Gary Sprake (Leeds) in the late 1960's,  Peter Shilton, (of course), Joe Hart and now Pickford are examples who made it at a young age, 

but the majority of keepers may be in their late 20's / early 30's  before they become permanently established.  

Shilton was unique in many ways and already the established England keeper when he joined Saints (age 33) in 1982., (he left Saints at age 38) 

then played in a World Cup at 40,  and was still playing league football in his mid/ late 40's.     

Along with (my favourite) Antti Niemi, (who signed for us in 2002 when he was 30) there have been very few who have succeeded at a young age,

The likes of Gazzaniga and Bartkowski  all started poorly with Saints but eventually progressed to some reasonable level, and Angus Gunn.........oops(!)

(a nightmare signing for Saints at the time).... has finally nailed down the no. 1 spot at Norwich. 

7 hours ago, david in sweden said:

....and yet another reason for people to understand that it can take young keepers a considerable time to mature, and although some fans

found it easy to blame Bazunu for some errors last season .. IMHO .. he has improved " out of sight"  this season. 

Thinking back many decades, very few teenage keepers came through at that age and a few eventually went onto play at international level.

Gary Sprake (Leeds) in the late 1960's,  Peter Shilton, (of course), Joe Hart and now Pickford are examples who made it at a young age, 

but the majority of keepers may be in their late 20's / early 30's  before they become permanently established.  

Shilton was unique in many ways and already the established England keeper when he joined Saints (age 33) in 1982., (he left Saints at age 38) 

then played in a World Cup at 40,  and was still playing league football in his mid/ late 40's.     

Along with (my favourite) Antti Niemi, (who signed for us in 2002 when he was 30) there have been very few who have succeeded at a young age,

The likes of Gazzaniga and Bartkowski  all started poorly with Saints but eventually progressed to some reasonable level, and Angus Gunn.........oops(!)

(a nightmare signing for Saints at the time).... has finally nailed down the no. 1 spot at Norwich. 

Why do people say things like this? Bazunu was awful last year. It is absolutely correct that he is young and has a lot of potential to improve and be really good. It is a fact that he should not have been our first choice last year. No one has difficulty understanding that he may improve to the point that he could be our first choice in the prem. He was just awful last year and it largely wasn't his fault. He should never have been put in that position. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Girona are not Oriol's hometown club. H was born in Ulldecona (in south Catalnia), whereas Girona is in the north of Catalonia. Hs boyhood club (i.e. where he played) was Barcelona. I think the attraction of Gerona was that it is a Catalan club (like Barca) and Oriol identifies strongly as a Catalan (he represents Catalonia in "international" football, although they are not a full FIFA country.

Ah interesting, cheers for clarifying. I am certainly not in tune to the regional sensitivities of Catalonia!

14 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Niemi was my favourite too but I do not recall the Bartman starting poorly with us . He had some good games and was called up for Poland under 21 I recall, but it was not until he got that injury against Newcastle, that his form dipped and he was never the same.

17 hours ago, david in sweden said:

I agree, it shows we should have signed an experienced keeper and maybe we'd have stayed up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Leno, Henderson, Pope all available the summer we went for Bazunu instead.

Never impressed by Leno - he had a nightmare visit to SMS some time ago.

Henderson (?)...surprised no-one went for him earlier if he's that good. 

Pope, I was very impressed by.. but given the choice between us and Newcastle ..maybe he didn't fancy dropping a league and moving south.

• Like 1

On 06/12/2023 at 09:39, Saint_clark said:

I agree, it shows we should have signed an experienced keeper and maybe we'd have stayed up.

He was awful last year, but made no difference to whether we stayed up or not. The whole team was awful, we would have been relegated whoever was in goal.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

He was awful last year, but made no difference to whether we stayed up or not. The whole team was awful, we would have been relegated whoever was in goal.

Disagree fully. We conceded the second most goals in the league last season, whereas a bunch of teams stayed up scoring the a similar amount or even less than us.

There were 20 games last season in which we either drew or lost by one goal - fine margins. If a better keeper made the difference in just half those games, turning 5 draws into wins and 5 defeats into draws, we'd have had an extra 15 points and would have been safe. 

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Disagree fully. We conceded the second most goals in the league last season, whereas a bunch of teams stayed up scoring the a similar amount or even less than us.

There were 20 games last season in which we either drew or lost by one goal - fine margins. If a better keeper made the difference in just half those games, turning 5 draws into wins and 5 defeats into draws, we'd have had an extra 15 points and would have been safe. 

Not a chance. We were miles behind the other teams and whilst a better keeper might (might) have earned us a few more points we would still have been comfortably relegated.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Didnt Gazzaniga have a goals against record almost as bad as Bazunu? I seem to remember if the opposition got a shot on target it usually went in. Hence why we went out and got Boruc 

He did. Now he's a really good keeper. In 10 years time I have no doubt Bazunu will be a really good keeper too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Not a chance. We were miles behind the other teams and whilst a better keeper might (might) have earned us a few more points we would still have been comfortably relegated.

...... primarily because we had no genuine goalscorers and lost too many games by a single goal margin. 

On 08/12/2023 at 05:35, Saint_clark said:

Exactly ...a statistic I've published before .. along with the fact that  just one extra goal in even half of those games would have seen us comfortably mid-table.

We lacked fire power, relied on Ché Adams as main striker,  with no other player getting even a reasonable goal tally from anyone ...except perhaps midfielder JWP.     

We never properly replaced Danny Ings, (and like Jay Rodriguez after he arrived 2012 ) continued to  play Arma on the left wing, whilst relying on Adams to get goals.

• Like 1