Ralph Krueger

Edmonton Saint

Speaking at half time in the game. Key points..

Feels Southampton has a wonderful soul

Need to be patient, Great opportunity for commercial gain, Only Premier League club in the South Coast

Re-iterated we are not a selling club

Looking to get a sporting director to help Pochettino make sporting decisions, other than that, Pochettino will have autonomy to make his own decisions.

He actually seemed quite knowledgeable about Soccer ;)

Think that is the mean thrust. Getting old though so memory isn't what it was..

Looks to me as if one of the main, soul targets is to get this club generating money - as they're right, it has potential, and the commercial side hasn't really been taken on. It does suggest and end to any sort of bankrolling though, more a case of living within our means.

Looks to me as if one of the main, soul targets is to get this club generating money - as they're right, it has potential, and the commercial side hasn't really been taken on. It does suggest and end to any sort of bankrolling though, more a case of living within our means.

Or...more money from commercial revenue that we will be able to spend.

We should be able to be self sufficient - and I'd prefer that to being bankrolled. Locally developed players you can identify with and generating your own success is much more enjoyable than spunking millions on players from wherever and buying success.

It does suggest and end to any sort of bankrolling though, more a case of living within our means.

As it should be, and I would hope the club was always working towards that aim, but we don't really know what Cortese was aiming for in that regard.

Hurrah ... We've been crying out for commercial gain, and I've thought poch could do with a hand from a sporting director for a while now. Krueger's judgement looks spot on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Talk of a sporting director raises a few questions in my mind.

What does a sporting director do that will improve things ? And whose role will that be taking over or encroaching on ?

Where will this fit in with Les Reed's role ?

A director of football to be involved in scouting, transfers etc I can understand, but the sporting director role is a little more ambiguous, and perhaps leans towards SCW territory.

What does a sporting director do that will improve things ? And whose role will that be taking over or encroaching on ?

A director of football to be involved in scouting, transfers etc I can understand, but the sporting director role is a little more ambiguous, and perhaps leans towards SCW territory.

A famous sporting director can attract players to the club.

Example PSG had a sporting director in the name of Leonardo (former PSG and Milan midfielder very well known in France, Italy and Brazil) and he was the one along with the quatari money who was able to attract the players PSG now have today (ibrahimovic, thiago silva, pastore, Lucas, Lavezzi, verrati...)

Example PSG had a sporting director in the name of Leonardo (former PSG and Milan midfielder very well known in France, Italy and Brazil) and he was the one along with the quatari money who was able to attract the players PSG now have today (ibrahimovic, thiago silva, pastore, Lucas, Lavezzi, verrati...)

A good point, but equally, not exactly the type of sporting director who will promote a self sustainable club. Actually doing that while making progress will require some genuine nous.

So how does that differ from a DoF then ?

Perhaps its pedantic, and the two titles are one of the same thing, but "sporting" director indicates overseeing more than just the football and recruitment side of things to me anyway. Perhaps into the sports medicine, physio, and even sports psychology side of things (eye and vision coaches in the SCW world).

Not seeking to pick up specifically on your comment, but the role is a bit of a mystery to me and what it - as opposed to a DoF - may bring.

As for Leonardo, he no doubt opened doors, but the players mentioned probably signed for the Arab money rather than it being down to him.

Don't get too hung up on the title... for too long the media and, as a result, fans have got hung up about these roles, but the title is irrelevent, and we won't know the details of what this potential new role will entail until they explain more (if indeed they do).

It could be something similar to other roles at other clubs, or it might be completely new take on things. We just don't know, and the title alone certainly won't tell us.

A good point, but equally, not exactly the type of sporting director who will promote a self sustainable club. Actually doing that while making progress will require some genuine nous.

Yes of course, i'm not saying they are trying to get somebody like Leonardo. But i reckon they want someone with good contacts in the game working in close company hand in hand with Pochettino, who might be able to unearth a gem from abroad, or be able to promote the ambition of the club.

We are not talking about overspending here, but spending within our means. We did spend 60m over the last 2 summers, but only incurred a 7m loss our first season back in the premier league. Still think we will be able to keep our players here and with the increase of the tv money this season, buy 1 or 2 players with genuine quality that will be able to see us get near the next level.

Call me an optimist but I am not pessimistic about our future like most are on here, the way the players and staff talk about the club at the moment you can see they all want to stay together and work at it for the next few seasons. To do that we still need to strengthen our squad whilst conitinuing to promote young players from the Academy and I think the board will do just that this summer.

Example PSG had a sporting director in the name of umber.Leonardo (former PSG and Milan midfielder very well known in France, Italy and Brazil) and he was the one along with the quatari money who was able to attract the players PSG now have today (ibrahimovic, thiago silva, pastore, Lucas, Lavezzi, verrati...)

I've got his mobile number.

Speaking at half time in the game. Key points..

Looking to get a sporting director to help Pochettino make sporting decisions, other than that, Pochettino will have autonomy to make his own decisions.

Back to this point, did he say in a Canadian radio interview - linked on here a few weeks ago - that they had one lined up, or was it that they were looking for one still ?

If already agreed, then speculating I'd go for someone RK has previously worked with or knows from his time in Germany or Switzerland.

Oh FFS. Sporting Director = Mopo out? For a club of our size (currently at least), I do get the feeling it's starting to look a little bit too top heavy...too many chiefs and all that? It's not as if Mopo and his coaching team are doing a bad job with the resources provided, so what exactly will a Sporting Director bring to the table. Plus, I thought Krueger was fulfilling the 'support the Head Coach' role??? Weird.

Oh FFS. Sporting Director = Mopo out? For a club of our size (currently at least), I do get the feeling it's starting to look a little bit too top heavy...too many chiefs and all that? It's not as if Mopo and his coaching team are doing a bad job with the resources provided, so what exactly will a Sporting Director bring to the table. Plus, I thought Krueger was fulfilling the 'support the Head Coach' role??? Weird.

Well you know how it is in American sport, separate coaches for everything down to tea making and burger flipping so the poor bloke probably feels ill at ease with the idea that just one bloke does mostly everything.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/aug/09/transfer-window-analysis-sporting-directors

Prepared to be shot down by all and sundry here but there's a bloke featured in the middle of the Saints legends at the top of this page that has European playing pedigree, a name of the world stage and an affiliation with the club. Way past ever coming back as manager but surely able to recognise the talent Saints are after and impress the parents of said young talent to persuade them that a move to Saints would be beneficial.

I speak of KK of course. Mick's way too busy with his gee gees

Does it though? I don't expect big signings, but surely maximising the commercial side is common sense whether you plan on bankrolling it or not? Investing lots doesn't mean you're happy to throw millions away and not take maximising revenues seriously.

I don't think it needs that much though. With modern TV revenues surely we could spend £20 million each summer? Bit less? Take Osvaldo out and we spent that on 2 good players last summer who have added a lot. If we did that every summer we'd be doing well.

Striker, maybe a CB and/or keeper. Wouldn't cost a silly amount I don't think. We're talking about improving the squad, not winning the league. There are bargains to be had out there. Would someone like Ruddy do? Probably as good as Boruc. But not as injury prone and unfit. It's a tough one, all keepers make errors now, the game is too fast, they have to be good with their feet, the balls move all over the place. I'd be happy with Boruc if he played 35 games a season or more, but he's too unreliable in his fitness.

Apologies for the tangent, but if I'm honest I'd like Boruc replaced.

Yeah he makes some great saves, and has a good command of his area. But, some of his play is suicidal, his kicking is shocking and he is pretty error prone. Has cost us points this season, though granted has made point saving saves too.

Other than offering money no other club on the planet would offer, we are closer to the skates on the Island in terms of player power than PSG.

He's been up and down. Was superb until he got injured. I've seen Cech, Hart, Begovic, Szcyecsny, De Gea Mignolet and others make really bad errors this season. Honestly think we just expect too much from keepers now. I'd just like a Boruc standard keeper who'll play every week. Our reserves are way behind standard. Newcastle's back-up was excellent last week to be fair. The gazzaniga idea was right, sign a young keeper to come in for competition and develop, but he was the wrong guy. He's just not got the mentality for it, he's utterly terrified and he makes the defence panic. Boruc's kicking looks good in comparison.

Media go on about Marshall but in reality he's just been in a very poor team and have a hell of a lot of saves to make. He's still largely just a good shotstopper with a lot of weaknesses. god knows who else is available. stelenberg had a big reputation but has largely been rubbish at fulham. stockdale is pretty poor. wonder where casillas will go?! Such a waste of a top keeper.

But if you also take into account his age and that he seems to pick up a few injuries we could do with a new 'No.1'. Only problem is I feel Boruc wouldn't be happy or settled being 2nd choice to anyone here.

Ralph must have had plenty of job offers after his gold medal work with the Canadian ice hockey team. I just can't see he would have come to Saints merely to balance the books and consolidate. We may spend less transfer cash than in previous seasons but I believe he is looking to move us to whatever level we can reasonably achieve and that must surely be upwards next season. I predict one or possibly two positions higher than this season.

Ralph must have had plenty of job offers after his gold medal work with the Canadian ice hockey team. I just can't see he would have come to Saints merely to balance the books and consolidate. We may spend less transfer cash than in previous seasons but I believe he is looking to move us to whatever level we can reasonably achieve and that must surely be upwards next season. I predict one or possibly two positions higher than this season.

Actually, at the time he agreed to come to SFC in some capacity, he had had '0' offers from anywhere else.