Why so much hatred for each other?

Ozpom333

I have asked the same question of the Portsmouth fans because i am interested to get your side of things as well. I am an Aussie who just loves our national sport AFL, the soccer is not so good over here so no chance of changing codes. As an interested person who flits from forum to forum, i see that there is a deep set hatred between Portsmouth and Southampton, more so than i can determine from any other boards. I have looked at the history and can only see a time when there was a strike break way back way. Is this the reason or is there something else eating you all?

I have asked the same question of the Portsmouth fans because i am interested to get your side of things as well. I am an Aussie who just loves our national sport AFL, the soccer is not so good over here so no chance of changing codes. As an interested person who flits from forum to forum, i see that there is a deep set hatred between Portsmouth and Southampton, more so than i can determine from any other boards. I have looked at the history and can only see a time when there was a strike break way back way. Is this the reason or is there something else eating you all?

We're all a bunch a women who need to grow up.

I have looked at the history and can only see a time when there was a strike break way back way.

The dockyard strike is a myth created by Portsmouth fans. Ask them to provide anything even remotely close to reliable supporting evidence for it and they won't be able to. They can't even prove the year it was supposed to have happened, logically it doesn't hold together at all and makes no sense.

Edited by Matthew Le God

When I was just a little boy I asked my mother what should I be? Should I be Pompey, should I be Saints...Here's what she said to me.

Wash your mouth out son, Go get your father's gun and shoot the Pompey scum and support the Saints.

G'day m8. I don't spend much time looking at willies like some of our posters e.g smirking saint do so I can't really comment bout that, but for my part I'm mostly just jel cos Sherlock Holmes used to play in goal for them :( I would love it if Sherlock Holmes had played for us :(

What you have to understand is there is a heirachy to sports in this country, Man Utd look down on us, we look down on portsmouth, portsmouth look down on Rose & Crown u11s and everyone, I mean absolutely everyone, looks down on Aussie Rules Football

Go to the Lounge and read your way through the Pompey takeover thread. Then come back and ask any questions you may still have.

Go to the Lounge and read your way through the Pompey takeover thread. Then come back and ask any questions you may still have.

Sound advice. By the time he's finished reading through that, J Rod will be back to full fitness.

We're local rivals. But the hatred is mainly on their part. Spending the best part of 50 years in the lower leagues below Saints has made them incredibly bitter. They'll tell you they've won more. Two league titles and an FA Cup over 60 years ago and another FA Cup 6 years ago that put them where they are today.

We're local rivals. But the hatred is mainly on their part. Spending the best part of 50 years in the lower leagues below Saints has made them incredibly bitter. They'll tell you they've won more. Two league titles and an FA Cup over 60 years ago and another FA Cup 6 years ago that put them where they are today.

About right although you forgot to mention that the last cup win was bought by local tradesmen and charities, still they say it was worth it, as they slip into the Conference.

About right although you forgot to mention that the last cup win was bought by local tradesmen and charities' date=' still they say it was worth it, as they slip into the Conference.[/quote']

So that's why they had 250k on the common. They wern't celebrating, it was the employees of the businesses and charities chasing the bus to get their money.

Aussies never really get football rivalries especially if they follow happy clappy AFL tbh.

it is all about accidents of birth, I was born in Southampton and so support them, If I had been born in Portsmouth i would have supported them. A lot comes down to our passion and pride of our home town and so we are ultra defensive to our nearest threat ( and I put that in the context of locality)

You know what, the "Skate's" as you call them seem to be far more intelligent than you lot even though they don't have the time for Aussies either. I have looked at other forums and found the hatred here greater than anywhere else so came here and asked a civil question and found it to be a complete waste of time. At least the Pompey lads have given me a few good reasons why.

it is all about accidents of birth, I was born in Southampton and so support them, If I had been born in Portsmouth i would have supported them. A lot comes down to our passion and pride of our home town and so we are ultra defensive to our nearest threat ( and I put that in the context of locality)

Old nick . . . thank you for such a civil and mature answer

You know what, the "Skate's" as you call them seem to be far more intelligent than you lot even though they don't have the time for Aussies either. I have looked at other forums and found the hatred here greater than anywhere else so came here and asked a civil question and found it to be a complete waste of time. At least the Pompey lads have given me a few good reasons why.

Well they are the best fans in the world after all...

I was born in eastleigh, and fully intend to watch the local derby next season.

Would you like to share ?

A lot of the men who go to football games haven't been very successful in life. It makes them feel better about themselves to look down on others. If Pompey fans are all white van driving gypo chavs who sleep with their cousins, then at least I, as a Saints fan, am better than that.

Yeah they seem a lot more open to sensible debate and tolerant of your patronising tone, i mean, other than calling you a neanderthal scummer, cocksucker and "bogan" (wtf?) within 10 posts

http://fansonline.net/portsmouth/mb/view.php?id=545655

Ooh get you, with your new mates. As others have said, there is a giant thread with all the info you could possibly need. You could use google. Or even the library. I am pretty sure that we dont owe you anything, but actually there are some sensible suggestions and no one has questioned why you are a WUM

see ya then, go and play with your new buddies.

They need every single one.

But whether those reasons have any basis in reality is a different matter.

As has been said they hate us more than we hate them because they have a bitter fanbase who have to believe their own hype and their own myths because despite Portsmouth and Southampton having very similar populations we have a far bigger fanbase, and been higher up in the league system for the vast majority of the time. Let's take recent history and how we achieved success in the PL in the last few years.

We spent years treading water and running the club on a shoestring, and sacrificing on-pitch quality for long-term infrastructure investment before going down the leagues. After a failed gamble to the tune of approx £7 million?? on promotion to the PL we headed for administration and played a load of hopeless kids to cut costs/slash the wage bill to do everything to pay our creditors off. Due to our infrastructure and fanbase we then inherited mega-rich investors who took us out of admin.

Pompey spunked getting on £200 million of rumoured blood money on players they had no way of affording for short-term success, and were spending 60-80k a week on wages at times. Then just as they were bragging about moving into a 60,000 harbourdrome and how David Villa, Samuel Eto'o, Yaya Toure were all imminently going to sign for them the plug got all too predictably pulled. The hero owners of yesterday were public enemy number one the day after just as we attempted to explain to them that just because Man Utd had similar debts didn't mean it was ok for them to have that amount of debt, because unlike Man U they couldn't service it.

Anyway they went into admin and did they play their kids to pay off their creditors? No, they spunked more money on 20-25k a week Liam Lawrence, David Norris, Dave Kitson etc. etc. and stuck two fingers up at their creditors, whilst holding fundraising football matches for cancer charities and keeping the proceeds for themselves. (See their creditor list). They then managed to go into admin again, whilst paying virtually nothing towards the CVA of the first admin. Since then they've been heralding the new dawn for Pompey as each new money launderer/loan shark/war criminal has become their new owner, and then they've each become overnight villains as soon as the totally predictable **** has hit the completely predictable fan.

They don't learn their lesson, they think they have a god given right to spend totally beyond their means, they've shouted their hype from the rooftops, they celebrated their FA Cup win and still insist to this day it was afforded, they heralded all their new owners and chased them out as soon as their dirty money has ran out, and all the time us Saints fans have stood aside watching and had front row seats in the hilarity of it all too predictably coming crashing down time after time after time.

Their current battle to stay in the football league is simple. You reap what you sow. I can't speak for anyone else but I don't and have never hated Pompey fans, I actually have numerous friends who do support them. And even when their best answer to the question "Aren't you worried this is completely unaffordable?" is "We beat you 4-1" I haven't hated them, I've just had my head in my hands and tried to not to laugh.

I'm amused by them.

Fark off, sonny jim.

I'll take any of the c**ts now Dickens is dead.

But whether those reasons have any basis in reality is a different matter.

As has been said they hate us more than we hate them because they have a bitter fanbase who have to believe their own hype and their own myths because despite Portsmouth and Southampton having very similar populations we have a far bigger fanbase, and been higher up in the league system for the vast majority of the time. Let's take recent history and how we achieved success in the PL in the last few years.

We spent years treading water and running the club on a shoestring, and sacrificing on-pitch quality for long-term infrastructure investment before going down the leagues. After a failed gamble to the tune of approx £7 million?? on promotion to the PL we headed for administration and played a load of hopeless kids to cut costs/slash the wage bill to do everything to pay our creditors off. Due to our infrastructure and fanbase we then inherited mega-rich investors who took us out of admin.

Pompey spunked getting on £200 million of rumoured blood money on players they had no way of affording for short-term success, and were spending 60-80k a week on wages at times. Then just as they were bragging about moving into a 60,000 harbourdrome and how David Villa, Samuel Eto'o, Yaya Toure were all imminently going to sign for them the plug got all too predictably pulled. The hero owners of yesterday were public enemy number one the day after just as we attempted to explain to them that just because Man Utd had similar debts didn't mean it was ok for them to have that amount of debt, because unlike Man U they couldn't service it.

Anyway they went into admin and did they play their kids to pay off their creditors? No, they spunked more money on 20-25k a week Liam Lawrence, David Norris, Dave Kitson etc. etc. and stuck two fingers up at their creditors, whilst holding fundraising football matches for cancer charities and keeping the proceeds for themselves. (See their creditor list). They then managed to go into admin again, whilst paying virtually nothing towards the CVA of the first admin. Since then they've been heralding the new dawn for Pompey as each new money launderer/loan shark/war criminal has become their new owner, and then they've each become overnight villains as soon as the totally predictable **** has hit the completely predictable fan.

They don't learn their lesson, they think they have a god given right to spend totally beyond their means, they've shouted their hype from the rooftops, they celebrated their FA Cup win and still insist to this day it was afforded, they heralded all their new owners and chased them out as soon as their dirty money has ran out, and all the time us Saints fans have stood aside watching and had front row seats in the hilarity of it all too predictably coming crashing down time after time after time.

Their current battle to stay in the football league is simple. You reap what you sow. I can't speak for anyone else but I don't and have never hated Pompey fans, I actually have numerous friends who do support them. And even when their best answer to the question "Aren't you worried this is completely unaffordable?" is "We beat you 4-1" I haven't hated them, I've just had my head in my hands and tried to not to laugh.

I'm amused by them.

Quite frankly, nutshell.

Any perceived history that lays the grounds for the rivalry from their perspective (dockyard strikes that never existed for example) is just groundless conjecture put into place to justify what is at it's heart simply a geography issue. The poor opinion from many Saints, myself included, is based on their club's very recent and utterly evident behavior as detailed above. Until the start of the century they actually barely registered and it was almost to the point where I didn't mind seeing them be reasonably succesful as they are another south coast side and it would only benefit the area for two clubs to be challenging towards the highest level possible.... like I currently feel about with Bournemouth.

I have no particular dislike for any individual Skate but the collective lack of contrition and humility over their team's recent behaviour and continued trumped up and groundless belief that their club has a divine right to be at the top table just fuel's my hope that they do keep stumbling from calamity to calamity before eventually ceasing to be entirely.

They have become a parody, it's best just to point and laugh before the joke gets stale.

Edited by Colinjb

The sea is colder near them

Ah the benefits of Fawley.

But give Portsmouth their due, it's pretty quick and easy to get out of the place. I recently took the ferry and I was away within a minute with direct access onto the motorway. Fortunately the port is also on the proper side of the city, so the prevailing wind, carries any smell away towards Brighton (which may explain why they dislike the Skates).

As for football, do they still field a team?