BBC - Trojan Horse: 25 schools probed over alleged takeover plot

holepuncture

Is this a concern? Seems like step/leap beyond Theology.

Could a scenario like this ever 'creep' into the South?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-27020970

An investigation into an alleged hard-line Islamist takeover plot of Birmingham schools has widened, with 25 schools now under the spotlight.

Birmingham City Council said it had received more than 200 reports in relation to its inquiry.

It has appointed former head teacher Ian Kershaw as its chief advisor.

Anonymous claims hard-line Muslims were trying to take over the running of some city schools were made in a letter sent to local authorities last year.

The 25 schools now being looked at include primaries, secondaries and academies.

The 200-plus reports to the council include emails and calls from staff, parents and governors.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Probably quite common in a lot of areas in London. Tower Hamlets probably.

Based on what? The Birmingham schools are in areas where there are strong Kashmiri populations which, because of the rural conservatism of their family backgrounds, have proved stronger recruiting grounds for Salafist extremism - although whether that actually means '25 schools' have been 'taken over' remains very much to be seen.

In Tower Hamlets, the Asian population is predominantly Bangladeshi, which does not have a record of Salafist extremism.

Based on what? The Birmingham schools are in areas where there are strong Kashmiri populations which, because of the rural conservatism of their family backgrounds, have proved stronger recruiting grounds for Salafist extremism - although whether that actually means '25 schools' have been 'taken over' remains very much to be seen.

In Tower Hamlets, the Asian population is predominantly Bangladeshi, which does not have a record of Salafist extremism.

Based on it being such an "Islamic" area I guess, not a completely unreasonable assumption to make.

They should all be locked up for calling their plot 'operation trojan horse'. Effing idiots.

operation wolf in sheep's clothing was already taken. Also operation "watch out guise you may not realise but we're secret plot to take over ur schools guise!"

Dunno how anyone found out bout this really. Their secret codename seems unbreakable. F*cking mystery yo.

What is this rubbish? Well-informed analysis of a situation that is subject to a lot of idle speculation and falsification in the media mostly by idiotic pundits? This can't be true! Tower Hamlets is positively swarming with radical Muslamic groups that want to take over our schools! THEY WANT OUR KIDS FFS!!!

What is this rubbish? Well-informed analysis of a situation that is subject to a lot of idle speculation and falsification in the media mostly by idiotic pundits? This can't be true! Tower Hamlets is positively swarming with radical Muslamic groups that want to take over our schools! THEY WANT OUR KIDS FFS!!!
Yeah, Tower Hamlets hasn't became a Muslim area at all has it?

• 1 month later...
I don't think there should be any faith schools at all in this country.

I blame the policies that have allowed multiculturalism to flourish. In theory it's a great idea where everyone makes allowances for cultural differences etc, but it's backfired because it means that the majority of people in the UK have to accept and adapt their views, rather than people coming into this country adapting to our ways and our laws.

It has meant that there are large amounts of people coming here who don't need to learn English because we provide the cash for interpreters etc and these people then do not integrate into our society, and in many cases, don't contribute to it either.

In the case of faith schools, I can understand why muslims would want their children to be educated at schools where they were allowed to follow their accepted codes and practices. I would bet that they are probably more attentive than in a mixed comprehensive school too. There are Roman Catholic schools in this country, so there is no reason why there should not be Islamic faith schools too. I think the fear of radicalism is now having a profound effect on the way we view such schools, which might be perfectly good teaching schools.

I do rather fear that in the future, there will be fighting and even rioting because people are beginning to show that they've been pushed too far

The 'majority' in this country live their lives according to their own culture and tradition but embrace other cultures and traditions. I live in a very multi-cultural, multi-national town and there is rarely any conflict between groups - in fact it's really nice to see how the different sections of the local society interact.

No-one is forcing anyone in this town to adopt 'minority' rules and behaviours but, generally, the local population accepts and enjoys the differences.

However, I don't think there's a place for ANY faith schools in our country (and I include the CofE that my granddaughter goes to). But far more divisive in this town is the existence of selection at 11.

Faith schools, as in Catholic-Church of England and other Christian schools, as well as Jewish schools, have excellent academic records and regularly top the Government's league table of the highest achieving schools. Why would you want to destroy that? What is wrong in grounding children in a solid identity so that they can grow up and respect other people's identities? If certain Muslim schools are not respecting the law of the land, then they should be dealt with....to say that we should get rid of all faith schools because of a few rogue Muslim schools is ridiculous. There is not a shred of evidence that pupils in Christian faith schools grow up to be religiously or culturally 'closed off' or prejudiced towards anyone else. Quite the contrary. It is my experience and I'm sure that the statistics would back me up, that Christian faith schools generally produce well rounded individuals who go on to further education and then into good careers.

The 'majority' in this country live their lives according to their own culture and tradition but embrace other cultures and traditions. I live in a very multi-cultural, multi-national town and there is rarely any conflict between groups - in fact it's really nice to see how the different sections of the local society interact.

No-one is forcing anyone in this town to adopt 'minority' rules and behaviours but, generally, the local population accepts and enjoys the differences.

However, I don't think there's a place for ANY faith schools in our country (and I include the CofE that my granddaughter goes to). But far more divisive in this town is the existence of selection at 11.

I also live in a multi cultural city, and I work in an extremely multi cultural ward. However, this ward has changed completely over the last 20 years or so. It's always been a fairly deprived area rife with crime and anti social behaviour, but the demographic has changed hugely in recent years. There is now large number of Polish immigrants, mixed in with Czech Roma, Slovakians, other Eastern Europeans and Kurdish. We have several Polish shops in the area too.

There would be no problems if most of these people adapted to our laws and lived by our code of ethics etc, but many of them don't. They think what is acceptable in their own countries, should be acceptable here. The Poles in the area, fair play, have set up businesses and work hard. We have a lot of Czech Roma who think it's acceptable to rifle through people's rubbish and leave the contents all over the pavement, and in the gardens of the houses where the rubbish has been left out. I kid you not, there was a whole street recently, where every single garden was full of emptied rubbish bags, and rubbish was also strewn along the pavements.

Many of these groups are also rife with organised crime etc.

Of course, not all of these people are criminals or scroungers, many of them are decent hard working people who want a better life, but the people I speak to who have lived in the area for many years is that they feel outsiders in their own areas, so much so that many of them will not walk down the main shopping area at night because the atmosphere is so intimidating.

I also have an Islamic faith school on my patch, and although I've spoken to one of the elders of the Islamic Cultural Centre it's attached to, who seems friendly, there are no windows on the school, a door on the front which is likewise and the message is clear. You are not welcome.

It's no wonder people are making statements such as there should be no faith schools in this country.

Based on it being such an "Islamic" area I guess, not a completely unreasonable assumption to make.

A completely unreasonable assumption to make and a poisonous thing to say.

The cause is Islamism, not Islam. It's fascism, not religion.

Why is it "poisonous"? It's not an unreasonable assumption to make.

Yes it is. It's bigoted ignorant nonsense. What's more, both verbal and duncan have spelt it out for you why. Maybe open a book, or if that's too much of a stretch, try Wikipedia? Or do you actually think that a quarter of the world's population are radical takfiri jihadists?

Yes it is. It's bigoted ignorant nonsense. What's more, both verbal and duncan have spelt it out for you why. Maybe open a book, or if that's too much of a stretch, try Wikipedia? Or do you actually think that a quarter of the world's population are radical takfiri jihadists?
What are you on about? I don't think you've even been able to follow the thread, let alone open a book.

It's now been revealed that Gove has known about this for 3 years.

A Birmingham headmaster had meetings with the Education department voicing his concerns about what was happening. Nothing was done as it was thought that it would reflect badly on Gove's pet project - Free Schools.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-27676759

Pupils are not being protected from extremist views at a Birmingham school named in the Trojan Horse inquiry, a leaked Ofsted report has revealed.

Gove and his hush policies are starting to leak out at last, it is utterly chilling to think that this has been allowed to carry on for so many years due to goverments and ministers agendas FFS. This seems similar to how the muslim grooming gangs were ignored up north for so long, until Jack Straw broke ranks and spoke out to the nation.

Not only are we harbouring terrorist cells in this country, it appears we are now breeding and educating them.

Very concerning. These are children, its completely unfair on them.

Gove should look into this latest revelation:

"A joint Ofsted-MI5 report released today revealed the extent to which Britain is run by former pupils of a shady network of schools. Open only to individuals holding extreme wealth, these “public” schools – many of them hiding their activities under the pretense of being charities – are accused of producing “culturally isolated” pupils.

Among the practices listed in the damning report are:

girls and boys educated separately;

the regular use of physical violence on pupils;

pupils forced to learn arcane dead languages such as Latin;

pupils schooled in the history of warfare, including an explicit focus on the so-called “Trojan Horse” tactic;

pupils forced to attend religious ceremonies known as 'assemblies' and 'services';

pupils required to wear bizarre dress and take part in cultish rituals.

Unsurprisingly, the report suggests that many pupils leave these schools culturally isolated. A survey of 2014 leavers showed that many were unable to identify any of the members of One Direction, or give the price of bus ticket into town. On the positive side, they could name the entire England polo team, and knew the best deals on yacht hire in Europe and the USA.

Many warn that Britain is in danger of being taken over by the alumni of these institutions. Neither the Prime Minister, the Mayor of London or the Royal Family were available for comment."

Courtesy of Newsbiscuit.

Gove should look into this latest revelation:

"A joint Ofsted-MI5 report released today revealed the extent to which Britain is run by former pupils of a shady network of schools. Open only to individuals holding extreme wealth, these “public” schools – many of them hiding their activities under the pretense of being charities – are accused of producing “culturally isolated” pupils.

Among the practices listed in the damning report are:

girls and boys educated separately;

the regular use of physical violence on pupils;

pupils forced to learn arcane dead languages such as Latin;

pupils schooled in the history of warfare, including an explicit focus on the so-called “Trojan Horse” tactic;

pupils forced to attend religious ceremonies known as 'assemblies' and 'services';

pupils required to wear bizarre dress and take part in cultish rituals.

Unsurprisingly, the report suggests that many pupils leave these schools culturally isolated. A survey of 2014 leavers showed that many were unable to identify any of the members of One Direction, or give the price of bus ticket into town. On the positive side, they could name the entire England polo team, and knew the best deals on yacht hire in Europe and the USA.

Many warn that Britain is in danger of being taken over by the alumni of these institutions. Neither the Prime Minister, the Mayor of London or the Royal Family were available for comment."

Courtesy of Newsbiscuit.

LOL very good and quite right too! The difference being that private schools are not tax payer funded schools, they are private institutions funded almost wholly by their customer base, you also have to be of a certain intellectual caliber to be considered. The fact that the privately educated often end up in elitist roles (city trading, politics, consultancy etc) is an issue I agree, though ive never heard of a Bullingdon bred extremist islamist!

Its good to see the Prime Minister wading in to try and sort things out (he mentions the private schools too dont worry, nobody misses out!):

"I would say freedom, tolerance, respect for the rule of law, belief in personal and social responsibility and respect for British institutions - those are the sorts of things that I would hope would be inculcated into the curriculum in any school in Britain whether it was a private school, state school, faith-based school, free school, academy or anything else."

He added: "I think what Michael Gove has said is important and I think it will have the overwhelming support... of everyone in Britain including people that have come to settle in Britain and make their home in Britain."

The difference being that private schools are not tax payer funded schools, they are private institutions funded almost wholly by their customer base, you also have to be of a certain intellectual caliber to be considered.

Although they are allowed charitable status with it's tax advantages. Why they are classed as charities is a mystery to me.

freedom, tolerance, respect for the rule of law, belief in personal and social responsibility and respect for British institutions

This is going off on a small tangent, but change 'British' for 'all' and these things shouldn't need to be taught by schools, they should be taught be parents before they even get to school, and reinforced by parents and teachers whilst they're at school.

• 2 weeks later...