Moyes sacked?

Wiggles31

Anybody see this in today's Guardian? (my bold, say what you see and all that))

To be honest i'd take a Ginsters pasty over Moyes for Utd manager.

At least it couldn't be ludicrously lacking in self awareness, make defeatist statements all the time, and it might actually motivate Rooney.

That, and i'm sick of looking at his ballsack textured, crumbling, grey tinted, charisma vacuum of a face pull baffled expressions on the touchline while he plays ****, negative football with not even a remote sliver of a cohesive plan.

The man is paid millions a year to do his job, he's been beyond pathetic. Beyond pathetic. Before he even had a foot in his office I knew this would turn out to be a huge failure and a huge mistake, and i've been saying it ever since.

Going all "alpha male" is hardly fashionable in 2014, but he comes across as a laughably weak individual, can you imagine any of the more testosterone fuelled younger "lads" in the dressing room respecting him? It's patently obvious his own disposition prevented Everton from progressing eventually, just look at everything that has gone on at the club since he left. His self doubt and cautiousness raised a glass ceiling, and now he's gone the players have more belief than they ever did under him.

Never a Utd manager. Not even a Utd cleaner. Pathetic character in a world of bold personalities. Get that idiot out.

Surprised that ManU appointed him to be honest as at Everton I didn't think he was all that. Sure he did well in the Las few years but prior to that they had some bad spells. Certainly not a proponent of the beautiful game.

As for Martinez, he's built on Moyes' defensive solidity with flair - but he'd be nowhere without loanees Lukaku and Barry. Is that built on sand?

Either way, instability might be a good thing for us (reduced focus on our players for transfers etc.)

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_276 using Tapatalk

Moyes is way out of his depth at Man Utd. Everton are a pretty big club, his record there was OK but he won naff all. 6th or 7th in the Prem is about where they should be really. Martinez is showing Moyes up big time.

Funny thing is Moyes did better in his first 31 games with Man U than Ferguson did:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Blwevu7IQAA7spU.jpg:large

Bottom line is following Fergie was a hospital pass - let's hope he gets his wad of cash. Martinez took over a well oiled machine from a peer/equal. Moyes took over a team in awe of a manager that had achieved God like status in the Premiership. No comparison really - he never stood a chance.

Could Moyes do a job for us if Poch goes? (hypothetical question)

He'd do well in other circumstances, but he's not the type we'd want. He couldn't instil any kind of playing identity at United (or Everton, really) and our entire club is now set up with one that goes against what characteristics he does promote. The youth conveyor belt relies on the way we play now.

Edited by DuncanRG

Moyes is way out of his depth at Man Utd. Everton are a pretty big club, his record there was OK but he won naff all. 6th or 7th in the Prem is about where they should be really. Martinez is showing Moyes up big time.

Unnessessarily harsh. Everton were a bottom half-relegation zone basket case for more than a decade before Moyes turned up with the likes of Mike Walker, the yo-yoing Howard Kendall and Walter Smith achieving eff - all.

Moyes turned them into the top 6/7 force they now are, in another life they could be Sheffield Wednesday.

Martinez hasn't proved anything yet. This time last year he was being relegated with a club that Steve Bruce had established in mid table.

Martinez hasn't proved anything yet. This time last year he was being relegated with a club that Steve Bruce had established in mid table.

That's also quite tough on him. He had next to no budget and lost his best players every year, did well to keep them up when he did and won the FA Cup. Wigan really aren't a Premier League club and every year they stayed up had to be taken as a success. A Dalek club, you might say.

Edited by DuncanRG

How is he showing Moyes up "big time". Everton finished 6th last year. Even if they finish 4th this year, Moyes has done that before. Most of the players were identified and signed by moyse, its basically his side with 2 loan players and a couple of others. Martinez couldn't sort out a back 4 at Wigan, come back and tell us about this "big time" show up when Martinez does more than Moyes did at Everton.

How is he showing Moyes up "big time". Everton finished 6th last year. Even if they finish 4th this year, Moyes has done that before. Most of the players were identified and signed by moyse, its basically his side with 2 loan players and a couple of others. Martinez couldn't sort out a back 4 at Wigan, come back and tell us about this "big time" show up when Martinez does more than Moyes did at Everton.

If you knew any Everton fans you would know this is rubbish. The point is is he making them play with much more flair. James McCarthy has been key as well.

Was lots of discontent with Moyes way before he left and Martinez has taken them on by having fresh approach.

Saying someone couldn't sort out Wigan - f me Mourinho woudl have struggled to keep them in prem for as long as he did.

Moyes not clever, not charismatic, not cultured enough to manage at the very highest level. Way out of his depth compared to Mourhino/Guardiola/Klopp/ Van Gaal/Wenger/Ancellotti et al.

I'd not even want him at Saints, simply doesn't fit our club ethos, too dour and negative.

So a manager who has proven PL experience and kept a team in around the top 6 in the PL (on a tightish budget) for quite a few seasons isn't good enough for saints? We've come along way if someone like Moyes isn't good enough for us.

If we had employed Moyes after Nigel was sacked this place would have been creaming itself............. funny how a few months at Man U has turned him into such an awful manager.

Edited by doddisalegend

So a manager who has proven PL experience and kept a team in around the top 6 in the PL (on a tightish budget) for quite a few seasons isn't good enough for saints? We've come along way if someone like Moyes isn't good enough for us.

If we had employed Moyes after Nigel was sacked this place would have been creaming itself............. funny how a few months at Man U has turned him into such an awful manager.

But it's not just about effectiveness, it's about style of play as well. Pulis has done a great job at palace but I wouldn't want to watch his brand of football every week. The stoke fans had enough after a number of years of over achieving because it's dull. Same goes for big Sam, lambert at villa and moyes. Moyes has no idea how to take the initiative in games which is why he's failed at a club that has to take the initiative in almost every game they play. We are way below their level, but I'd far rather watch the current saints side determined to try and win games with nice football.

For some football is just about the results, but for me (especially at a club that's never likely to win anything big) it's more than that. Knowing I'm going to watch good football and a team having a go makes me look forward to our games. The same can't have been said for Everton fans under moyes, however well they did. I'm sure most would agree this season under Martinez has been far more enjoyable.

Manyooo will wait a long time and go through a lot of managers if they want a replacement on the level of Ferguson, if they ever manage it. Docherty and Atkinson couldnt manage it.

The owners and fans need to come to terms with the idea that their Golden Era is possibly over for good.

One good side-effect of this is that is may well push the reset button on Luke Shaw leaving.

But it's not just about effectiveness, it's about style of play as well. Pulis has done a great job at palace but I wouldn't want to watch his brand of football every week. The stoke fans had enough after a number of years of over achieving because it's dull. Same goes for big Sam, lambert at villa and moyes. Moyes has no idea how to take the initiative in games which is why he's failed at a club that has to take the initiative in almost every game they play. We are way below their level, but I'd far rather watch the current saints side determined to try and win games with nice football.

For some football is just about the results, but for me (especially at a club that's never likely to win anything big) it's more than that. Knowing I'm going to watch good football and a team having a go makes me look forward to our games. The same can't have been said for Everton fans under moyes, however well they did. I'm sure most would agree this season under Martinez has been far more enjoyable.

Fair enough don't think Everton played boring football under Moyes think that's a quickly expanding myth. I seem to remember them ripping us apart at Goodison last season under Moyes. No doubt we are playing nice football under MP but I've already noticed on here the grumbles about us playing lovely football, keeping possession but not being effective every time a result doesn't go our way. Seems to me most fans these days expect results and style but as a club owner someone with a proven track record of around 6th each season on a budget would be mighty tempting I would have thought.

The lesson concerning Moyes' failure at Man U is you can't teach old horses new tricks. He'd have done better to have let Rooney leave, fielded only the young player. He'd have earned more time for being bold and enterprising rather than trying to tinker and try to fix an aging machine.

What are the knock on effects for us.

Lots of rumors that Lallana & Shaw have been linked with a move to Man Utd, with a continental manager the likely successor will they still be looking to the likes of Lallana or will they be looking to Europe?

I'd say that Van Gaal is very high on the replacement list, does this mean that Spurs may now look more closely at MoPo?

Moyes' sacking isn't super-surprising. The only precedent for keeping him about after such a season would have been Fergie's first couple of years in the job. Unfortunately, I think football and particularly United are in a place where they cannot afford to waste any more time. The lack of CL football will hurt them financially and in any attempts to rebuild the side. They'll need a Liverpool-esque season to come back up.

In many ways, Moyes' arrival at Man Utd was the opposite of his installation at Everton, a club that had been flirting with relegation for years and had suffered the likes of Mike Walker and Walter Smith as potential saviours. Everton was a club in a tailspin; Moyes managed to right it before any serious damage was done. Contrast that with the situation at United; yes, they may be an ageing squad - but they were an ageing squad that were champions in the previous season. To go from that to where they are now can hardly be termed progress. The United board probably wondered if there was light at the end of the tunnel and came to the conclusion that there wasn't.

It's a shame for him, but there are few excuses for some of the bizarre decisions made during his tenure. 4.5m over the odds for Fellaini was madness, and never really justified on the pitch.

Lots of rumors that Lallana & Shaw have been linked with a move to Man Utd, with a continental manager the likely successor will they still be looking to the likes of Lallana or will they be looking to Europe?

I'd say that Van Gaal is very high on the replacement list, does this mean that Spurs may now look more closely at MoPo?

This was precisely my reaction. In fact, I just posted that on the sicki forum.

How is this Saints related? Lounge please, I am surprised as the usual punters in here usually pull anything deemed negative and not Saints related into the Lounge, bias by any chance as its Man Utd or possibly the person?

Ah, quiet you wannabe moderator.

Either that, or correctly suggest General Sports.

Immediate one, as you say, might be van Gaal going to Man Utd instead of Spurs, so Levy coming in for MP. Would you want to work for Levy though?

So.

Farewell then, David Moyes.

Your time at Manchester United

Has come to a close.

You were the chosen one.

The annointed successor to the great leader.

Or so it was said.

However, you could not

Successfully fill the shoes

Of your predecessor.

Not unlike Kim Jong-Un

Perhaps.

But at least you did not

Force all Manchester United staff

To adopt a Kim-style haircut.

A shame, as I think that

It might have suited

Marouane Fellaini.

Ah, quiet you wannabe moderator.

Either that, or correctly suggest General Sports.

I suggest General Sports then, it proves subliminally we allow the bigger clubs to do as they please, if I put up Rochdale have sacked their manager it would be carted off straight away, modern fans hey, they probably still have their United tops somewhere.

I suggest General Sports then, it proves subliminally we allow the bigger clubs to do as they please, if I put up Rochdale have sacked their manager it would be carted off straight away, modern fans hey, they probably still have their United tops somewhere.

I'm sure the mods are moving heaven, earth and five pound notes to accommodate your request.

In the meantime, that David Moyes eh? What a sacked bastard he is.

I think Man Utd have done the wrong thing - they should have given him more time. Fergie picked Moyes in the first place because he was the best candidate for a long-term successor. "Long-term".

They've been pretty crap this season, no doubt, but the squad he got left with was pretty crap in the first place - they only managed to win the title last time out because of RVP (who's been injured most of the season lest we forget).

Will be interesting to see who they get in to replace him, but I would've given him until January to get back into the Top 4 if it was my decision.

Unfortunately my thoughts that a move to MU would be a poor career move for Shaw and Lallana due to Moyes may no longer stand.

Hopefully MP will be considered too inexperienced, but if he took a couple of players he would transform that lot.

He'd be made to speak in English though to satisfy their commercial needs.

Proves "The Peter Principle" rules in Football management -ie you rise until you reach your level of incompetence.

Without doubt my "Manager of the Year" and I have no doubt the choice of the vast majority of non Man U fans.

There will have been a results clause. The rumour is that if they didn't qualify for CL he would only (only!!!) get 1 years worth of compo.

At least £2m on top of £2m salary. Could probably afford some botox

Reading some of the analysis, I notice that there are a lot of references to "the players had stopped trying for Moyes". Pretty disgusting behavior from them if that's true. They are supposed to be professionals not some petulant schoolkids. Oh...

I think Man Utd have done the wrong thing - they should have given him more time. Fergie picked Moyes in the first place because he was the best candidate for a long-term successor. "Long-term".

They've been pretty crap this season, no doubt, but the squad he got left with was pretty crap in the first place - they only managed to win the title last time out because of RVP (who's been injured most of the season lest we forget).

Will be interesting to see who they get in to replace him, but I would've given him until January to get back into the Top 4 if it was my decision.

If you lose the dressing room then it's hard to see this as a temporary decline. They (correctly, in my view) saw Moyes as terminal, and they can't risk that with £100m+ being placed at the manager's feet in the summer. They're in need of a revolution no matter who the manager is, and Moyes' ability to do that himself (after he fluffed the first chance) is severely weakened by the players' lack of faith in him.

When they talked about the long-term, they were anticipating maybe a season or two without trophies, third or fourth-place finishes. Not this, a failure on every level conceivable. The only thing that went well in Moyes' entire reign was bringing Rooney back on board and tying him to a contract.

Poor old Moyes. £10m (minimum) richer today.

That honestly won't be much consolation for a committed football manager. He's already plenty rich but this will follow him to the grave.

As for this correct forum business, it's fair to say that this might have a knock-on effect on Saints matters in the form of potential player sales or changes in the managerial market. Pochettino's name is being mentioned as a rank outsider, though obviously the Van Gaal/Spurs issue is more likely to come into play.