Pochettino Out, Moyes In...

Unbelievable Jeff

Wow, what is all the vitriol about? It's all hypothetical and the post clearly asks for your thoughts on the situation if it did happen.

You don't think that there is potential that MoPo leaves and the board look at who is around, and see a Manager that had a very good record at a medium sized club with small-ish finances that there is no way he would pick them?

I don't reckon any of them 3 things will happen! Ferguson won't want Van Gaal cos he wants to be bum-licked & asked for his opinions on stuff. Spurs won't want ponch cos they're delusional, we won't want moyes cos as others have said bout youth etc. He'll prob end up at Villa or Newcastle.

As stated above - Because of our dependence and philosophy of the Academy

That is possible, but is Moyes record with youth actually that bad? Yeah, he didn't see Barkley (although last season may have been a bit early), but he did play/buy youngsters such as Rooney, Rodwell, Coleman, Osman, Junjuaz etc...

All the betting sites say you're wrong, and they are rarely wrong...

They are rarely wrong, youre right.

But Mopo is not favourites with any of the bookies, he's just one of 10-20 options which includes the names of Gus Poyet and Martin Jol and Harry Redknapp - the same names that get linked with every job, but are never really contenders.

How can something be 'possibly quite likely'? Blatant trolling by the OP IMHO.

Moyes can only come here if he brings De Gea, Baines and Wellbeck with him; other than that it's a 'no' from me.

If Moyes couldnt prise Baines away from Everton as Man Utd manager, what chance would he have of getting him here? Plus Welbeck was one of the players unhappy with Moyes at utd for consistently playing him out of position, so why would he follow him here?

If Moyes couldnt prise Baines away from Everton as Man Utd manager, what chance would he have of getting him here? Plus Welbeck was one of the players unhappy with Moyes at utd for consistently playing him out of position, so why would he follow him here?

Other than that he makes some great points, yes?

Moyes?

No thanks.

Crap manager, even if you buy into the 'didn't he do a great job at Everton' ******, and it is utter ******.

Just ask the Everton fans what they think of him, or even the Man U fans.

Doesn't play good football, doesn't win anything and is utterly useless at integrating youth.

Oh, and is a tactical coward to boot.

That is possible, but is Moyes record with youth actually that bad? Yeah, he didn't see Barkley (although last season may have been a bit early), but he did play/buy youngsters such as Rooney, Rodwell, Coleman, Osman, Junjuaz etc...

He didn't buy a single one of them.

Hard to not play Rooney really, he was that good. Osman was sent out on loan a few times, didn't start playing til he was 23/24. He really didn't progress Rodwell as much as could have been done, they ended up feeling they robbed City.

Ok, Coleman & Januzaj. 2 Players in 12 years. He also messed about with Dan Gosling, who was well thought of and forgot to give him a new contract.

I don't buy this stuff about him being a bad manager, or he did a bad job at Everton. Both are untrue, but he would not be a good fit for Saints. It's clear that any manager coming to Saints is going to have a mandate to focus on the academy and bring those players through. That simply is not Moyes.

I'm sure he will go somewhere else and do just fine, but I'd be beyond surprised if that was at Saints. His record with youth is not good at all.

I don't buy this stuff about him being a bad manager, or he did a bad job at Everton. Both are untrue. I'm sure he will go somewhere else and do just fine.

Unfortunately, for him, all the evidence points in one direction.

I look forward to his next hugely successful foray into football management....

He didn't buy a single one of them.

Hard to not play Rooney really, he was that good. Osman was sent out on loan a few times, didn't start playing til he was 23/24. He really didn't progress Rodwell as much as could have been done, they ended up feeling they robbed City.

Ok, Coleman & Januzaj. 2 Players in 12 years. He also messed about with Dan Gosling, who was well thought of and forgot to give him a new contract.

I don't buy this stuff about him being a bad manager, or he did a bad job at Everton. Both are untrue, but he would not be a good fit for Saints. It's clear that any manager coming to Saints is going to have a mandate to focus on the academy and bring those players through. That simply is not Moyes.

I'm sure he will go somewhere else and do just fine, but I'd be beyond surprised if that was at Saints. His record with youth is not good at all.

MP Didn't buy Shaw, Chambers, Ward-Prowse, Lallana or Gallagher but he plays them. You could equally argue it's hard not to play Shaw.

Not sure how anyone can say he didn't do a good job at Everton. When he went to Everton they were a poor team and nearly went down a couple of times, regularly finishing in the bottom 1/3rd of the league, in the 10 years proceeding him they only finished in the top half once and finishes of 14th-17th were usual. He had a tricky second season there but aside from that in 11 years there they only finished outside of the top 8 once and he hardly spent a fortune in the transfer market during his time there. Usual bandwagon jumpers trying to discredit his achievements it seems.

Unfortunately, for him, all the evidence points in one direction.

I look forward to his next hugely successful foray into football management....

That's absolute crap.

He took over a team often battling relegation, and turned them into a team regularly finishing 5-7th. Martinez is most likely going to get them finishing 5th - yet he is a genius that has transformed the club? Explain that one to me.

He did all this whilst having no money to spend, to bring in any players, he would have to sell his best players. He did this every year. He regularly bought players, improved them and sold them at a big profit.

One poor season does not make him a poor manager. Yes, he doesn't play the most exciting of football. But how exactly do you think "all the evidence points" to him being a bad manager?

MP Didn't buy Shaw, Chambers, Ward-Prowse, Lallana or Gallagher but he plays them. You could equally argue it's hard not to play Shaw.

Fair point, but I still don't think we would see Moyes thrusting Chambers into the team over Clyne or using JWP as regularly. Especially not starting all 3 (including Shaw) at the same time, with as much regularity.

I've used this example before, but against Arsenal with Rickie injured and Ossie suspended, I don't think Moyes would have put faith in Gallagher. Granted he hardly set the world alight, but he did ok. I can't help but Moyes would have just stuck an extra man in midfield and tried to shut up shop. That's fine, but that isn't going to make you a good fit for Saints, who are clearly geared (for better or worse) towards developing the young guys from the academy.

That's absolute crap.

He took over a team often battling relegation, and turned them into a team regularly finishing 5-7th. Martinez is most likely going to get them finishing 5th - yet he is a genius that has transformed the club? Explain that one to me.

He did all this whilst having no money to spend, to bring in any players, he would have to sell his best players. He did this every year. He regularly bought players, improved them and sold them at a big profit.

One poor season does not make him a poor manager. Yes, he doesn't play the most exciting of football. But how exactly do you think "all the evidence points" to him being a bad manager?

Its an opinion.

I don't rate him, as many don't. There isn't a single shred of evidence that suggests he's a good manager, only an average one.

I'm more than happy for others to over rate him though, just as long as he doesn't end up here.

http://www.sos1878.co.uk/everton-fans/an-open-letter-to-david-moyes/ :lol:

Edited by Solid Saint

Moyes had an unenviable task at Manure, taking a team that has a few excellent players but a majority of good players and trying to emulate Fergusons success whilst operating under constant scrutiny. With a team of just "good" players, he was always going to struggle as the top 4 or 5 have a wealth of excellent players at their disposal. Ferguson showed his managerial abilities by making those good players play consistently above their level to let the excellent players do their stuff. Moyes wasn't able to replicate this, but that doesn't mean to say he is a bad manager. To answer the OP's question, IMHO I don't think he'd be a good fit for Saints and the ambition they (presumably) still have, but in a different situation, say with the club wanting to operate at a financial level where they are not spending big amounts on players and are often seen as a middle tier PL club, he could do OK. T'would be boring though!

And some managers need to fail in order for them to learn. Pulis has been mentioned recently as a miracle worker, which is not far wrong, but by crikey, he took his time and with a number of failures at lower league clubs along the way before he acquired enough skill and ability to manage well at PL level. Moyes will be a better manager for his experience at Manure, but I wouldn't want to necessarily see him here.

I just think it could be quite likely, it's an opinion.

As stated above, if we were to lose MP, why would we not pick Moyes?

Was'nt Moyes interviewed by Saints before he joined Everton. If not, I think he was 'deffo' on the prospective list of candidates, while he was still at Preston.

Its an opinion.

I don't rate him, as many don't. There isn't a single shred of evidence that suggests he's a good manager, only an average one.

I'm more than happy for others to over rate him though, just as long as he doesn't end up here.

You're grasp on evidence and opinion clearly isn't very good. You're opinion is that he isn't very good.

The evidence over a sustained period is to the contrary.

Wow, what is all the vitriol about? It's all hypothetical and the post clearly asks for your thoughts on the situation if it did happen.

You don't think that there is potential that MoPo leaves and the board look at who is around, and see a Manager that had a very good record at a medium sized club with small-ish finances that there is no way he would pick them?

It is less hypothetical than totally random!

You're grasp on evidence and opinion clearly isn't very good. You're opinion is that he isn't very good.

The evidence over a sustained period is to the contrary.

http://www.sos1878.co.uk/everton-fans/an-open-letter-to-david-moyes/

That's all the evidence you need other than your own eyes.

Its always best to form your own opinion though, rather than repeating others rhetoric. Which is all that needs to be said on this matter.

http://www.sos1878.co.uk/everton-fans/an-open-letter-to-david-moyes/

That's all the evidence you need other than your own eyes.

Its always best to form your own opinion though, rather than repeating others rhetoric. Which is all that needs to be said on this matter.

Errm, again. This is opinion, not evidence. Even the comments are not unanimous.

Errm, again. This is opinion, not evidence. Even the comments are not unanimous.

Its indeed evidence of the discord that the Everton fans felt during his tenure. They were sick of his negative football amongst other reasons.

But hey, they are all wrong, he's a great manager that brings success everywhere he goes with his superior tactics and man management.

Just look at the sheer amount of records he managed to break whilst at Man U and just look how badly Everton have struggled since he left.

Opinions hey.