What is the weirdest own goal scored at a Saints game?

kwsaint

Grobbelaar at Coventry

Puts me in mind of "Bruce Grobbelaar lets in goals", sung to the tune of "Heads, shoulders, knees and toes".

1... 2... 3...

Bruce Grobbelaar lets in goals, lets in goals, lets in goals

And then he drives a fúcking great big Rolls

I remember David Peach hitting a volley on the turn from the edge of the penalty area into our goal, on a Friday evening game v Millwall at The Dell c 1974 or 5.

Alex Lindsey c 1970 headed into the Liverpool goal for us. (I think that was the game John McGrath upset Shankly for him and the media to label us Alehouse footballers).

It's a long time ago, but I remember a Rangers player (possibly Willie Donachie) chipping his keeper quite beautifully from the corner of the box in an Anglo-Scottish Cup match.

Donachie never played for Rangers. In fact he never played for any Scottish club side. You are thinking of Colin Jackson and it was a great OG.

Riise's was pretty good but my personal favourite was one MK Dons centre half smacking the ball off the back of the other and into the net. Pretty sure it was the JPT Southern final.

MLT's comment on Riise's goal:- "Good shot from the distance!" (or something very close)

I seem to remember from one of those Danny Baker "Own Goals and Gaffs" videos that Mike Newell scored an epic headed own goal for us while playing for Everton, a bullet header from the edge of the area giving Southall no chance. Annoyingly he scored at the right end as well and we lost 4-3. http://www.11v11.com/matches/southampton-v-everton-16-march-1991-90019/

Wolves away c1969-'70. Me small boy in stands. Phil Parkes (wolves keeper) rolls ball to Wolves LB Derek Parkin and Parkin plays it back to Parkes (in the days of the back pass). Irritated, Parkes picks it up and rolls it to Parkin gesturing him to hoof it up field, Parkin again passes back to Parkes. Parkes returns ball to Parkin indicating that he should hoof it away and doesn't want it back. With that Parkes kneels on the 6 yd line and starts to adjust his bootlaces, whilst the hapless Parkin turns for a third time and plays another back pass to Parkes, only this time to see Parkes perfectly stranded on his knees and the ball roll agonisingly into the unguarded net. Deep joy.

Not sure how accurate a recollection this is (I was 8 or 9 and it was a long time ago) or what ITN says about it but I can remember it clear as day. I would love to know if Parkin really did score an OG against Saints at Molineux some time between '68-'72 or if my brain has started to manufacture Saints-related-snippets somewhere along the way in the ageing process.

I seem to remember from one of those Danny Baker "Own Goals and Gaffs" videos that Mike Newell scored an epic headed own goal for us while playing for Everton, a bullet header from the edge of the area giving Southall no chance. Annoyingly he scored at the right end as well and we lost 4-3. http://www.11v11.com/matches/southampton-v-everton-16-march-1991-90019/

Totally off topic, but looking at that link, look how many British players there were!!! How times have changed.

Wolves away c1969-'70. Me small boy in stands. Phil Parkes (wolves keeper) rolls ball to Wolves LB Derek Parkin and Parkin plays it back to Parkes (in the days of the back pass). Irritated, Parkes picks it up and rolls it to Parkin gesturing him to hoof it up field, Parkin again passes back to Parkes. Parkes returns ball to Parkin indicating that he should hoof it away and doesn't want it back. With that Parkes kneels on the 6 yd line and starts to adjust his bootlaces, whilst the hapless Parkin turns for a third time and plays another back pass to Parkes, only this time to see Parkes perfectly stranded on his knees and the ball roll agonisingly into the unguarded net. Deep joy.

Not sure how accurate a recollection this is (I was 8 or 9 and it was a long time ago) or what ITN says about it but I can remember it clear as day. I would love to know if Parkin really did score an OG against Saints at Molineux some time between '68-'72 or if my brain has started to manufacture Saints-related-snippets somewhere along the way in the ageing process.

ITN. 13/8/69. Wolves a. Lost 1-2. 24 mins. 1-0 Parkin og.

Well remembered.

I'm going to suggest Coleman from the weekend. Rather then a fumbling stretch or slice it was simply a perfectly placed downward header into the far corner of his own net. Truly incredible.

I preferred Alcarazs goal - proof that the diving header goal hasn't died out just yet.

Palace scored a great one at The Dell in about 1990/1. Can't remember who took kick off, or if Saints even touched the ball, but the ball ended up with Richard Shaw (I think) in the left back position who passed it back to the keeper. Sadly, the keeper wasn't where he thought it was and we were 1-0 up in under 20 seconds. Still lost though.

Not sure if there is footage, but a skate mate tells me of them playing at Plough Lane, conceding a goal, kicking off again and passing it back to Alan Knight who was bent down doing his shoe laces and the ball trundled in. That must have been great to watch.

Franny Benali near post diving header - absolute bullet!

That was the first that jumped to my mind, followed by Tommy Widdrington scoring one off his arse in the mid 90s infront of the Milton road end.

Can't remember who that was against but Tommy Widdrington and the black nipper who used to be a waiter in bournemouth were playing so that must narrow it down.

Donachie never played for Rangers. In fact he never played for any Scottish club side. You are thinking of Colin Jackson and it was a great OG.

Bloody hell, that's well remembered! Don't know why on earth I had Donachie in mind. It was a cracker though.

Wasn't there one at Derby? Beattie hoofed the ball way up in the air, Paul Jones misjudged it and it dropped it in off the bar? Only goal of the game if I remember

That's the one that fits the "weirdest" criteria in the title for me. You do it an injustice though. I went for a dump as he "cleared" it, it went so high I was back again before the ball dropped over the line. :D

Denis Hollywood v Leeds home in 70-71 season. He stops the ball on the goal line and trys his party piece of rolling it along the line to Eric Martin. It goes the wrong side of the line and into goal. From holding our own in the game we went on to lose 3-0. Its on the Match of the Day compilation video.

Channon's hat-trick was against Everton at the Dell in 69-70. They were champions and it was one of only 6 games we won that season. Eric Martin had been concussed in a collision, which explains the own goal when Channon tried to pass back to him.

That was the first that jumped to my mind, followed by Tommy Widdrington scoring one off his arse in the mid 90s infront of the Milton road end.

Can't remember who that was against but Tommy Widdrington and the black nipper who used to be a waiter in bournemouth were playing so that must narrow it down.

Frankie Bennett?

Denis Hollywood v Leeds home in 70-71 season. He stops the ball on the goal line and trys his party piece of rolling it along the line to Eric Martin. It goes the wrong side of the line and into goal. From holding our own in the game we went on to lose 3-0. Its on the Match of the Day compilation video.

Channon's hat-trick was against Everton at the Dell in 69-70. They were champions and it was one of only 6 games we won that season. Eric Martin had been concussed in a collision, which explains the own goal when Channon tried to pass back to him.

That's the one - I'd just gone away from home to a MN training place and was gutted not to be able to go to matches

Bloody hell, that's well remembered! Don't know why on earth I had Donachie in mind. It was a cracker though.

Agreed. I was sitting in the East Stand (Milton end) for that game. It was quite a long way out and went straight over the keeper's head. Also remember lots of very drunk Scotsman in the ground