Mass "Ignore the trolls" experiment.

Ohio Saint

Correct about Glasgow (who I actually find humourous) and Barry (who I think tries far too hard). They're so obvious, everyone knows the routine. Yet for every Barry comment there's usually 5 others calling him a c*nt and what not; I think some people just like to be seen and get a bit uppity about "their" forum. Then you have the likes of Trousers and Goatboy, the latter who seems to be making a forum career out of following Glasgow around. It's all very bizarre to whine about the trolls and then give them extra publicity with every single post. It's a bit sad when you need an online button to actually ignore someone.

Very well summed up.

Morning guys,

I am not going to post on this thread again - just wanted to post and let you all know.

Im off to Sports Direct now to let them know I wont be shopping there today.

I thought you worked at Barclays, not Sports Direct. Sports Direct would make more sense mind.

I'm no fan of the ignore button, never used it. However, this forum has become so polluted now, I wonder what would happen if ALL those of us that are fed up with the WUMs put them on ignore simultaneously. Would it work? Would it change the look of the threads at all? I think it's time to try it as this forum is becoming unusable. It just might stand a chance if we did it in unison.

It would look exactly the same to me, had them all on ignore for 18 months.

Voice of reason, pap.

Correct about Glasgow (who I actually find humourous) and Barry (who I think tries far too hard). They're so obvious, everyone knows the routine. Yet for every Barry comment there's usually 5 others calling him a c*nt and what not; I think some people just like to be seen and get a bit uppity about "their" forum. Then you have the likes of Trousers and Goatboy, the latter who seems to be making a forum career out of following Glasgow around. It's all very bizarre to whine about the trolls and then give them extra publicity with every single post. It's a bit sad when you need an online button to actually ignore someone.

Not following him around. It's just that he peddles his sh*te on every thread!

I am trying to ignore him. He just gets my Goat.

I've purposefully kept off this thread for a bit to see if my name turned up. As a sad bastard that spends far too much time posting here, and a good proportion of that duking it out with other posters, it'd be unsurprising if I caught the label.

Nowt about any of this is new, save the ratio of interesting-to-shít on the main board. We've always had posters that keep things ticking along. dune used to perform that role, Jamie did and still does to an extent. trousers does it without managing to upset too many people.

So what's the diff? Intent, I suppose. Like many others, I'm not convinced that everyone who says they support the Saints actually supports them. Skates don't represent it all, though. Some of the people mentioned so far are defo Saints fans, and for some reason want other Saints fans to feel bad about our chances, or at least the opportunity to whip out the D word (deluded, btw).

From a respect point-of-view, the GS and BS accounts are dead, imo. We've got to the point where backs are put up the moment either of them posts anything, leading to bickering on other threads and the creation of threads like this.

In the unlikely event that either of them are Saints fans, my advice to them would be to ditch those accounts and return as a new identity. Though I'm sure they'll have a couple of defenders, they're now about as popular as a nonce in the general prison population.

For anyone that's píssed off with 'em, just stop interacting with them. Don't reply. Don't react. Let the little tykes post themselves out in increasingly desperate "look at me" efforts. Sure, it's the ostrich way out, but putting your head in the sand is actually the right call on this occasion.

Says it all.

A lot of sense here too - I can just about tolerate skates who don't hide their allegiance (Mack would even be one whose posts I look forward to) as they put their heads up over the parapet and can expect what they get.

What I find unacceptable is skates who come on here and purport to be Saints fans whilst dishing out all the sneering, negative cr*p of the sort that I'd employ if I was as deeply sad as to want to infest and f*ck up a skate board.

Is this what this forum is about? Surely an administrator can discern and decide what's welcome and what isn't - we're not talkling a mass cull here, just sensible, for the good of most Saints fans selectivity. Need clues? I don't think you do.

A lot of sense here too - I can just about tolerate skates who don't hide their allegiance (Mack would even be one whose posts I look forward to) as they put their heads up over the parapet and can expect what they get.

What I find unacceptable is skates who come on here and purport to be Saints fans whilst dishing out all the sneering, negative cr*p of the sort that I'd employ if I was as deeply sad as to want to infest and f*ck up a skate board.

Is this what this forum is about? Surely an administrator can discern and decide what's welcome and what isn't - we're not talkling a mass cull here, just sensible, for the good of most Saints fans selectivity. Need clues? I don't think you do.

Absolutely no problem with mack rill either, but the comparison is interesting. How long do you think he'd last if he spammed the main board with as much shíte? "Not long", would be my bet.

From that point of view, the only thing keeping these people here is the now-challenged belief that they're Saints fans.

I wouldn't expect the mods to do anything about it, and I'm not the sort of person that calls for bans anyway. Thing is, you don't have to be in position of authority to make a difference. In fact, I'd argue that Ohio's original suggestion, a mass ignore (even if you don't use the function itself) is the way to go. This will include ignoring other people who quote their posts. Don't make a thing of it, and it'll be over by Christmas, I reckon.

You'll also get the spectacle of seeing ever more desperate measures to get attention (there's another thread with my name in the title today; you can set your watch to these clowns).

Famous last words, I know.

I wouldn't expect the mods to do anything about it, and I'm not the sort of person that calls for bans anyway. Thing is, you don't have to be in position of authority to make a difference. In fact, I'd argue that Ohio's original suggestion, a mass ignore (even if you don't use the function itself) is the way to go. This will include ignoring other people who quote their posts. Don't make a thing of it, and it'll be over by Christmas, I reckon.

Agree.

I’ve never understood why people respond to posters they think are wums, trolls, pompey supporters in disguise, stupid or just plain irritating.

Morning guys,

I am not going to post on this thread again - just wanted to post and let you all know.

Im off to Sports Direct now to let them know I wont be shopping there today.

4 posts already on this thread since this enlightening post earlier.

Morning guys,

And there follows a further three posts and it's only halfway through the day. The average 5 daily posts you claim would take 10 years to achieve. How long have you been a member of this forum?

As others have said, the problem with some posters ruining the forum, isn't necessarily what they say, but how many times they say it. I'm inclined to favour the suggestions that limit the number of posts a day, as otherwise many threads resemble the forum equivalent of having been spammed. A daily post limit would at least have the effect of forcing certain posters into crafting replies comprising more than a single line to answer somebody else's post. Instead of ten one-liners, perhaps a paragraph covering several points might be easier on the eye and more closely resemble a contribution towards a debate.

I won't hold my breath though that anything will be done, based on the comment from Steve. The decline of the forum will progress further until something is done, but it is his baby and up to him if he isn't that bothered about the revenue declining because posters will not renew their subscriptions.

I've purposefully kept off this thread for a bit to see if my name turned up. As a sad bastard that spends far too much time posting here, and a good proportion of that duking it out with other posters, it'd be unsurprising if I caught the label.

Nowt about any of this is new, save the ratio of interesting-to-shít on the main board. We've always had posters that keep things ticking along. dune used to perform that role, Jamie did and still does to an extent. trousers does it without managing to upset too many people.

So what's the diff? Intent, I suppose. Like many others, I'm not convinced that everyone who says they support the Saints actually supports them. Skates don't represent it all, though. Some of the people mentioned so far are defo Saints fans, and for some reason want other Saints fans to feel bad about our chances, or at least the opportunity to whip out the D word (deluded, btw).

From a respect point-of-view, the GS and BS accounts are dead, imo. We've got to the point where backs are put up the moment either of them posts anything, leading to bickering on other threads and the creation of threads like this.

In the unlikely event that either of them are Saints fans, my advice to them would be to ditch those accounts and return as a new identity. Though I'm sure they'll have a couple of defenders, they're now about as popular as a nonce in the general prison population.

For anyone that's píssed off with 'em, just stop interacting with them. Don't reply. Don't react. Let the little tykes post themselves out in increasingly desperate "look at me" efforts. Sure, it's the ostrich way out, but putting your head in the sand is actually the right call on this occasion.

Says it all.

This screams of why was I not mentioned:lol:

Voice of reason, pap.

I dont try at all, try at what? Its a forum not real life, Pap wont have that though, he missus agrees with me so its now 17 - 0..........................

If you pay via PayPal you have to login to PayPal and cancel your subscription from there. I cancelled my renewal a few weeks ago and my current subscription expires in September....so only a few more months until I get my life back ;)

Done & done.

Phew.

Without doubt the best way forward here.

The quality of a forum is only as good as the quality of the posts. This forum has been in decline for a while, 2/3 or the drivel posted above are testament to that. RIP Saintsweb Forum

You joined the quit club? Good lad!

bad move! what are you bros gonna do at work if you don't have saintsweb? I would be v.bored at work if there was no saintsweb. I dunno what I'd do. It don't bare thinking about.

bad move! what are you bros gonna do at work if you don't have saintsweb? I would be v.bored at work if there was no saintsweb. I dunno what I'd do. It don't bare thinking about.

Yeah masturbation is frowned on at work. It is in my convent anyway.

My personal take on the situation.

I don't think this forum (and it's natural prequels) is any better / worse than it has been for the last 8-9 years I have been browsing and contributing to it, merely different. I don't ever recall it being a bastion of humour and tactical dissection. Indeed some of the best posts I have read are by people I don't believe were there at that time (Rallyboy and Halo in case you are wondering).

As a Moderator I get asked a lot to pick people up on trolling or spoiling threads. In the general scheme of things unless people are taking the thread off-topic or are conducting themselves in a rude or discriminatory I'll let it go.

Although the repetitive posts from some can be tedious posters do have three simple options:

1) Use the forum ignore function

2) Use your own ignore function

3) Debate the point and let your argument win

The number of threads and posts complaining about trolling / Wumming is becoming as prominent as any perceived trolling.

Not everyone will agree and / or like each other. Accept it and deal with it.

This was my view back in February and I stand by it.

However the general concensus from the majority of posters on this thread is that it is the repetitive nature and sheer frequency of posts from certain posters, not what they say is the issue. Noted.

This was my view back in February and I stand by it.

However the general concensus from the majority of posters on this thread is that it is the repetitive nature and sheer frequency of posts from certain posters, not what they say is the issue. Noted.

I appreciate a moderator response - thanks

Can I just relate it to the pub analogy again as it works on a number of levels?

If a customer came in every night and shouted 'F*ck Saints' in a pub full of Saints fans or continuously trashed the ethos, players, owner, playing style, transfer policy and called the said fans deluded and belittled their belief or their just plain support for their team...

What would the landlord do?

What would the customers do?

I do see this forum as a Saints pub - tell me if I'm wrong?

I appreciate a moderator response - thanks

Can I just relate it to the pub analogy again as it works on a number of levels?

If a customer came in every night and shouted 'F*ck Saints' in a pub full of Saints fans or continuously trashed the ethos, players, owner, playing style, transfer policy and called the said fans deluded and belittled their belief or their just plain support for their team...

What would the landlord do?

What would the customers do?

I do see this forum as a Saints pub - tell me if I'm wrong?

i agree this is a bit like the pub, I myself would be in the saloon bar:)

i've been here 6 yrs and not one of you tight f*ckers has bought me a drink

I have bought you several. Due to geographical difficulties, I had to drink them on your behalf.

Edit. Hold on, two drinks and he is anyone's? I suppose there is always Fedex then.

i've been here 6 yrs and not one of you tight f*ckers has bought me a drink

GS would point out that over the last 17.5 months your drinks bought to drinks consumed ratio has been very poor indeed.

Whilst

Bazza would point out what a p iss poor pub this is , how your eyes don't suit the colour of your hair and whatever it is that you are drinking it is not as good as his favourite drink.

Wouldn't there be a group of people staring Into their pints bemoaning the good drinkers who don't come here anymore and you can see why?

More like 5 or 6 loners all sat on their own looking miserable and pretending that their lives were actually more interesting 5 years ago.

More like 5 or 6 loners all sat on their own looking miserable and pretending that their lives were actually more interesting 5 years ago.

Not forgetting the group who on hearing someone say something They don't like or agree with go running to the bar demand the bouncers take action.

Not forgetting the group who on hearing someone say something They don't like or agree with go running to the bar demand the bouncers take action.

The same group who have an entirely miserable time and make a pact to never visit the pub ever again, as it's not as good as it used to be. Only to all rock up again in the pub at the same time the very next day for the same round of dull conversation, incessant whingeing and false promises.

The same group who have an entirely miserable time and make a pact to never visit the pub ever again, as it's not as good as it used to be. Only to all rock up again in the pub at the same time the very next day for the same round of dull conversation, incessant whingeing and false promises.

No doubt there will be quite a few who hero worship the CEO of the brewery and claim with his drive and ambition the pub is in it's best condition ever, the food is second to none, the selection of lagers, ales and wines a joy to behold and it's the greatest time ever to be a drinker in our pub. They'll probably sing his name whilst ordering a round and anyone who dares to mention that you now have to pay to use the pub car park, the prices have rocketed as well as the general shoddy treatment of bar managers, staff and distain they hold for customers has an agenda and is probably a regular at weatherspoons.

The thing with Pubs in these difficult times is that sometimes the Landlord gets a bit lazy and starts to cut down on the frequency that he washes his pipes.

So, over time, the beer starts to taste as stale as some of the conversation. Eventually the beer tastes like Vinegar and the Landlord wonders where everyone went.

Everyone then buys their beer at the Supermarket and gives up talking to their mates.

No doubt there will be quite a few who hero worship the CEO of the brewery and claim with his drive and ambition the pub is in it's best condition ever, the food is second to none, the selection of lagers, ales and wines a joy to behold and it's the greatest time ever to be a drinker in our pub. They'll probably sing his name whilst ordering a round and anyone who dares to mention that you now have to pay to use the pub car park, the prices have rocketed as well as the general shoddy treatment of bar managers, staff and distain they hold for customers has an agenda and is probably a regular at weatherspoons.

Change the record, mate.

This one's worth a listen.

OK, that's very good.

#applause