Mass "Ignore the trolls" experiment.

Ohio Saint

wouldnt adding a like and dislike button to posts be a better bet? ive seen it on other forums and it seems to work in the sense posters are less willing to continue spouting nonsense if it continually gets disliked

Wouldnt work and would be pointless

"We are the bestest team in the world" - that would get me 200 likes

Mopo is a tactical genius - that would get me another 150 likes

Challenge . Debate . Alternative view . Opinion . Dispute . Consideration . Question - that will just get dislikes and name calling.

Its very very very easy to be popular on here, not so easy to have an opinion or knowledge on Saints/ football

Wouldnt work and would be pointless

"We are the bestest team in the world" - that would get me 200 likes

Mopo is a tactical genius - that would get me another 150 likes

Challenge . Debate . Alternative view . Opinion . Dispute . Consideration . Question - that will just get dislikes and name calling.

Its very very very easy to be popular on here, not so easy to have an opinion or knowledge on Saints/ football

Not true - the "happy clappers" think this forum is dominated by "bedwetters" or "trolls" who in turn think it's dominated by the "happy clappers"

The truth is somewhere in the middle, and would be indicated by likes/dislikes.

What dislikes would do is reduce the number of attempts at wit by some posters and their sarcastic alter egos

And for the record glasgow, i actually think you get an unfair reputation on here. Admittedly im not on here often the posts i see of yours are usually pretty funny/good natured

Edited by saintmatt

Delldays / Batman is the best example of this

As Delldays he was hated, bullied and every post was jumped on and vilified.

He changed username and suddenly he is given more respect and his posts responded to in a normal way.

A better experiment than the one offered in OP would be for posters not to look at the posters name before reading and responding to posts?

Play the post, not the poster and wed all get along alot better imho

You've failed the experiment already :(

Right then my first ever I told you so on sw. See post two.

I'm getting the hang of this new way. I might go back and edit it sometime for future unrelated discussions. Oh and memorize the link so I can wedge it in time and again.

Delldays / Batman is the best example of this

As Delldays he was hated, bullied and every post was jumped on and vilified.

He changed username and suddenly he is given more respect and his posts responded to in a normal way.

A better experiment than the one offered in OP would be for posters not to look at the posters name before reading and responding to posts?

Play the post, not the poster and wed all get along alot better imho

Maybe we should all be anonymous?

Glasgow it is not about being a happy clapper but trying to engage in reasonable debate . But we seem to have a few who just want to get under the skin of what I would call middle if the road fans .

I want to discuss and talk about all aspects of the team , the club etc but it becomes tedious when there is so much negativity about . This constant slating if players etc us not helpful .

Debate is healthy but for what ever reason you and your moaning few are unable to accept the points of others . By all means disagree . I read your posts and some if your comments are interesting on occassions.

There have been some good posters who have left . I wouldn't be suprised to see monk leave before to long . I have been close .to leaving Especially when I got an infraction for facing up to a troll or WUM not all that long ago .

Better tow the party line or I will get another infraction .

Just be a bit more understanding of everyone's views in the future BS et al

The main trouble with this forum, and some of the posters is that there always seems to be a concerted effort to be rude, annoy, upset or antagonise others. I am sure there are many others like me who just can't be bothered with the petty wind-ups and idiots, and that is the exact reason we don't bother posting regularly. That said, there is a broad cross-section of posters whose contributions I genuinely enjoy reading.

I love to debate, accept that often there are others with polar opposite opinions to mine, and enjoy a good bit of banter. I'm put off by the struggle to engage without idiotic trolling. It's a shame, as fresh posters, without silly prejudices could really breath life into this forum.

Glasgow it is not about being a happy clapper but trying to engage in reasonable debate . But we seem to have a few who just want to get under the skin of what I would call middle if the road fans .

I want to discuss and talk about all aspects of the team , the club etc but it becomes tedious when there is so much negativity about . This constant slating if players etc us not helpful .

Debate is healthy but for what ever reason you and your moaning few are unable to accept the points of others . By all means disagree . I read your posts and some if your comments are interesting on occassions.

There have been some good posters who have left . I wouldn't be suprised to see monk leave before to long . I have been close .to leaving Especially when I got an infraction for facing up to a troll or WUM not all that long ago .

Why did you get an infraction mate? If i make the forum bad then im sorry, i will try to be more open monded to others views

Csh398

This us spot on and us the reason I get frustrated with some posters

The main trouble with this forum, and some of the posters is that there always seems to be a concerted effort to be rude, annoy, upset or antagonise others. I am sure there are many others like me who just can't be bothered with the petty wind-ups and idiots, and that is the exact reason we don't bother posting regularly. That said, there is a broad cross-section of posters whose contributions I genuinely enjoy reading.

This is very true and is why the "WUM's are only stating an alternative view" brigade are wrong. Barry can turn any thread iinto a "lets slag Saints" session within a couple of posts. Why waste time on starting an interesting, thought provoking thread when you know that it will quickly be swooped upon by the usual suspects?

Take for examplt the thread started a couple of days ago by Saint86 questioning why there isso much gloom on the forum. He must have spent quite a lot of time on his first post. It was argued in a constructive, logical manner. It deserved to generate a decent debate but the usual WUM's quickly descended on it and a bunfight developed. I bet the OP wondered why he ever bothered.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions... it just seems that some are quicker, more predictable and more vociferous than others in giving theirs.

I did, and it was derailed immediately in the first post.

I then debated starting this thread but decided there was no point as the same would happen and it has.

Bazza especially is a miserable skate tuesday, and Glasgow has multiple accounts that he switches between to progress and argument.

If you stick them both on ignore there is nothing to read... But then what's the point of scrolling through pages of skate hate.

Glasgow even goes to the extremes of impersonating swf posters on other forums to make them and the club fans look bad, before then linking it on here.

Saints won out on the football pitch but lost on the internet, the blue phew having a little laugh even if its token at best.

They won't get dealt with, I mean the pure number of page viewings that Glasgow does must pay for the forum in advertising costs alone.

Fortunately there are places to post where they don't inhabit and where good discussion can still be had.

Although a new troll free forum would be nice :)

Debating is a generous word. Most of the time it's just people stating their opinion then continually using the same bit of evidence to spport why they are right. Very little peoper debatimng goes on here and and the end of the day, every still feels the same way going at as going in.

The solution is pretty simple. Cancel your subscription. Sure, you'll only be able to post 3 times a day, but given the paucity of decent content on here anyway it really doesn't make much of a difference. The administrators won't do anything about it until it affects them financially.

It's like football fans protesting against their owners but still going to matches. Stop turning up. Then they'll pay attention.

You need to have a range of opinions. The only thing I hate on here is when certain posters claim 'the forum said this' when referring to the opinion of 1 or 2 posters. You need the likes of Glasgow on here, otherwise we'd just be one big happy family having a big party because we are in 8th place and none of our good players will ever leave.

The solution is pretty simple. Cancel your subscription. Sure, you'll only be able to post 3 times a day, but given the paucity of decent content on here anyway it really doesn't make much of a difference. The administrators won't do anything about it until it affects them financially.

It's like football fans protesting against their owners but still going to matches. Stop turning up. Then they'll pay attention.

How do we cancel our subscriptions? The problem is the mods are pussies...they don't even take action against those who pretend to be others forum members on other forums (what we saw yesterday from Glasgow Saint pretending to be Olallana on the Spurs forum).

How do we cancel our subscriptions?

If you pay via PayPal you have to login to PayPal and cancel your subscription from there. I cancelled my renewal a few weeks ago and my current subscription expires in September....so only a few more months until I get my life back ;)

How do we cancel our subscriptions? The problem is the mods are pussies...they don't even take action against those who pretend to be others forum members on other forums (what we saw yesterday from Glasgow Saint pretending to be Olallana on the Spurs forum).

Did we? Youve gone with the whoever smelt it dealt it, case closed approach.... How has that worked out for you in the past? :lol:

The mods are pussies? They banned you as dibden perlieu and you cried on twitter about it...... You were the pussy then ;)

Just relax mate, its a football forum..... Dont take it and life so serious. :badger:

If you pay via PayPal you have to login to PayPal and cancel your subscription from there. I cancelled my renewal a few weeks ago and my current subscription expires in September....so only a few more months until I get my life back ;)

I bet you 35,000 posts you continue posting :rolleyes:

What will the PTS thread do without you?

You need to have a range of opinions. The only thing I hate on here is when certain posters claim 'the forum said this' when referring to the opinion of 1 or 2 posters. You need the likes of Glasgow on here, otherwise we'd just be one big happy family having a big party because we are in 8th place and none of our good players will ever leave.

Thats why some dont like me.... B'cos i cut through all the nonsense and say it how it is.

Im the little voice of doubt in everyones head that they try to ignore, but know is right :)

Im not here to make friends, but ive picked up 320 on my jouney ;)

Range of opinion should be welcomed. Deliberate derailing, abuse and spam should be clamped down on.

Admins, there is a facility for you to view the the 'most ignored' posters. Can't you implement that behind the scenes, and set a rule that anyone with more than, say 25 people ignoring them is banned? People don't get 'ignored' for the diversity of their opinion; they get ignored for being consistent prats.

Steve, your post before is concerning for a healthy forum. You have a 'suck it up you're adults' attitude, this actively allows a few people to wreck the place. The result is there simply are no interesting threads, people can't be bothered to start them, as they can predict who will have the second post, and that it will be almost certainly an attempt to belittle or derail. This is your forum, and you can run it as you see fit; I feel your stand-off approach is the cause of most of this forum's problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats why some dont like me.... B'cos i cut through all the nonsense and say it how it is.

Im the little voice of doubt in everyones head that they try to ignore, but know is right :)

discommendation-705134.jpg

Ta, I'll go do that now.

My resignation does give rise to a few vacancies on here though:

- someone to hilariously post a 'groundhog day' picture whenever people bang on about the same thing over and over again

- someone to post a photo of either: several bicycles welded together in a circle or a photo of the cast of the comedy gold sitcom 'Ever Decreasing Circles' whenever an argument in a thread goes down the "I'm right. No, I'm right, you're wrong. No, you're wrong, I'm right. Ner ner ner ner ner ner" path.

- someone to post "chomp chomp chomp" every time Glasgow gets a bite on one of his pieces of bait

- someone to rate Glasgow's bait out of 10

- someone to post a picture of Mutley receiving a medal every time Bazza, Turkish, CB Fry, Glasgow etc play the " I was right all along - told you so" card

- someone to post c.74 times per day on the Pompey Takeover Saga thread to continually remind the cheats that they're quick to airbrush their recent negative past from the history books whilst still wallowing in the "glory" of reaching cup finals with players they couldn't afford during the same era. Job reference: obsessed.nutjob.#001

Edited by trousers

8.9/10

Did we? Youve gone with the whoever smelt it dealt it, case closed approach.... How has that worked out for you in the past? :lol:

The mods are pussies? They banned you as dibden perlieu and you cried on twitter about it...... You were the pussy then ;)

Just relax mate, its a football forum..... Dont take it and life so serious. :badger:

The same way that I am Goatboy as well? How did that work out for you? I tried to meet up with you in a neutral venue to prove who I was, but you pulled out - who's the pussy there?

My resignation does give rise to a few vacancies on here though:

- someone to hilariously post a 'groundhog day' picture whenever people bang on about the same thing over and over again

- someone to post a photo of either: several bicycles welded together in a circle or a photo of the cast of the comedy gold sitcom 'Ever Decreasing Circles' whenever an argument in a thread goes down the "I'm right. No, I'm right, you're wrong. No, you're wrong, I'm right. Ner ner ner ner ner ner" path.

- someone to post "chomp chomp chomp" every time Glasgow gets a bite on one of his pieces of bait

- someone to rate Glasgow's bait out of 10

- someone to post a picture of Mutley receiving a medal every time Bazza, Turkish, CB Fry, Glasgow etc play the " I was right all along - told you so" card

- someone to post c.74 times per day on the Pompey Takeover Saga thread to continually remind the cheats that they're quick to airbrush their recent negative past from the history books whilst still wallowing in the "glory" of reaching cup finals with players they couldn't afford during the same era. Job reference: obsessed.nutjob.#001

Went to cancel it, turns out I already had! Very prescient from me.

The same way that I am Goatboy as well? How did that work out for you? I tried to meet up with you in a neutral venue to prove who I was, but you pulled out - who's the pussy there?

:lol: Is it really true that some keyboard warriors feel the need to "meet up" to prove their existence to people they don't know?!! Jesus, SG is right, some do take this far too seriously. Kind of reminds me of the "see you in the car park after school" where handbags were thrown and hair was pulled!!