Mass "Ignore the trolls" experiment.

Ohio Saint

I'm no fan of the ignore button, never used it. However, this forum has become so polluted now, I wonder what would happen if ALL those of us that are fed up with the WUMs put them on ignore simultaneously. Would it work? Would it change the look of the threads at all? I think it's time to try it as this forum is becoming unusable. It just might stand a chance if we did it in unison.

I genuinely struggle to understand how (supposedly) grown adults find it so difficult to just gloss over what someone they don't like has written on an internet forum.

Very true steven. One of the comments that always makes me laugh is when posters demand the mods take action against certain people. Seriously, are people not grown up enough to ignore something they don't like or have enough conviction in their own view point to argue it out.

I genuinely struggle to understand how (supposedly) grown adults find it so difficult to just gloss over what someone they don't like has written on an internet forum.

I agree, cannot tolerate banning things just because people don't like them, democracy and all that. Unless people posting genuinely offensive or incendiary posts (racist, violent etc.) then no issue.

I agree, cannot tolerate banning things just because people don't like them, democracy and all that. Unless people posting genuinely offensive or incendiary posts (racist, violent etc.) then no issue.

This!!

Youre a bloomin good poster mate - you should post more. I have enjoyed all your posts over the last few weeks, even the ones that I didnt 100% agree with.

This!!

Youre a bloomin good poster mate - you should post more. I have enjoyed all your posts over the last few weeks, even the ones that I didnt 100% agree with.

Should I be pleased or appalled...? :)

Edited by ThorpG

Why is it not Saints related this is Saintsweb where folks like to talk about pertinent issues about Southampton Football Club. For Saints fans estranged from the city or country like Ohio its their only link to snippets true and false about the club.

Some threads do degenerate into a point scoring bunfight very quickly.

If that is the case, how come I have infractions open?

Not as if I broke the law or anything

They're not really trolls- more people with a differing opinion to you.

If you don't like what you've read, ignore it.

Quoting it will only give more reactions.

Plus, if everyone had the same view, wouldn't it make a really boring forum??

Discussions and Arguments are one of the main points of a forum...

Sorry but I don't think Barry fits in the above.

Batman I like your post re infractions . I have one closed and one open for standing up against a couple of the Wums and trolls . They got of scot free as far as I am aware . It is my own opinion that then mods prefer to have the Wums etc spouter their tosh . Debate is healthy but there is no reasoning with certain individuals . It's their way or not at all .

This!!

This!!

You're a fukin shyte poster mate - you should post far less (not at all would be good). I have enjoyed naff all of your posts over the years, even the ones that I did 100% agree with.

Very true steven. One of the comments that always makes me laugh is when posters demand the mods take action against certain people. Seriously, are people not grown up enough to ignore something they don't like or have enough conviction in their own view point to argue it out.

Dodgy analogy alert...

If someone came into your local pub and started saying things to deliberately wind you up rather than engaging in constructive conversation about different opinions (and continued to do this for days on end) would you (a) ignore them or (b) take action?

If (a) let me know where your local pub is - I've got a little experiment to carry out :)

The primary motive of a troll is to post something based on how much reaction they think they'll get. The actual 'opinion' is secondary. A non-troll will post an opinion without thinking upfront about what level of reaction it'll get.

Subtle difference.

sweet. if grown men should just gloss over anything on here. I assume the infraction system is going to be scrapped?

Im sure the MODs have the moral courage to gloss over anything that does not break the law of the land

Werent you banned as Delldays and then returned few months later as Batman?

Bit rich to moan about the "rules"?

no answer by any MODS?

We have Mods? Wow. Administrator doesn't understand the issue, believes it to be a case of like or dislike and shouldn't be a problem because we are all "grown ups". Unfortunately Steve's post shows how pointless it is hoping that something will be done about these dullards and why this forum will continue to descend to the depths of two or three posters who are not Saints supporters and who are only here for a wind up. Forums are for discussion, for some light-hearted banter and also to exchange information about the subject between supporters of Saints, but there is no point in a discussion with someone who offers no point of view other than to take the contrary standpoint of everyone else (except the other trolls) simply to wind up, who is clearly not a Saints supporter and/or who offers no opinion at all, only posting interminable new questions designed purely to wind everyone up. This place would not be dull without these people, it could actually become an enjoyable experience, sadly the surgery required may be too late as we no longer have many of the posters who actually helped to make this forum interesting. No need to ban the trolls, but they could at least be limited to the Lounge or the non-Saints part of this Forum.

Dodgy analogy alert...

If someone came into your local pub and started saying things to deliberately wind you up rather than engaging in constructive conversation about different opinions (and continued to do this for days on end) would you (a) ignore them or (b) take action?

If (a) let me know where your local pub is - I've got a little experiment to carry out :)

The old spring well, skipton road, Harrogate. Last time I checked the didn't issue infraction points for saying something the bar staff didn't like.

Barry Sanchez is the only genuine 100% troll on here really. Glasgow tries his best, bless his little cotton socks, but every now and then he comes out with something vaguely interesting and constructive. Plus he starts like 98% of the matchday/build-up threads. He still lives his life on my account on ignore though :)

We have Mods? Wow. Administrator doesn't understand the issue, believes it to be a case of like or dislike and shouldn't be a problem because we are all "grown ups". Unfortunately Steve's post shows how pointless it is hoping that something will be done about these dullards and why this forum will continue to descend to the depths of two or three posters who are not Saints supporters and who are only here for a wind up. Forums are for discussion, for some light-hearted banter and also to exchange information about the subject between supporters of Saints, but there is no point in a discussion with someone who offers no point of view other than to take the contrary standpoint of everyone else (except the other trolls) simply to wind up, who is clearly not a Saints supporter and/or who offers no opinion at all, only posting interminable new questions designed purely to wind everyone up. This place would not be dull without these people, it could actually become an enjoyable experience, sadly the surgery required may be too late as we no longer have many of the posters who actually helped to make this forum interesting. No need to ban the trolls, but they could at least be limited to the Lounge or the non-Saints part of this Forum.

Top post, mate.

What I don't understand is why people put so much time and effort into annoying people they don't know on the internet. Personally it doesn't bother me, I just scan past the stuff I don't want to read but I can see why others find it irritating.

Dodgy analogy alert...

I have made this point in the past...if the opinions spouted by the most blatant of skate trolls were aired in a Saints pub there would be a number of reactions from the customers, understandable if not condoned, probably ending in blood being shed.

No landlord would want this to continue, nor could let it continue either on account of his licence or the damage to his trade by the exodus of his day to day customers so would take action to protect his (and the majority of his customers) well-being.

It's not difficult to relate this to a forum - except that anonymity protects both sides of the equation. But - the reputation of the forum, the friendly atmosphere, the ability to discuss matters of common interest is tainted, destroyed in some cases and plenty will either take up cudgels against the infiltrators when all they really want is friendly discussion or banter or go elsewhere having become disillusioned with the experience.

This, in all likelihood, is what the infiltrators would, for their own perverse purposes, consider a victory.

Would the landlord consider this a good situation - do the moderators?

Some threads do degenerate into a point scoring bunfight very quickly.

This is very true and is why the "WUM's are only stating an alternative view" brigade are wrong. Barry can turn any thread iinto a "lets slag Saints" session within a couple of posts. Why waste time on starting an interesting, thought provoking thread when you know that it will quickly be swooped upon by the usual suspects?

Take for examplt the thread started a couple of days ago by Saint86 questioning why there isso much gloom on the forum. He must have spent quite a lot of time on his first post. It was argued in a constructive, logical manner. It deserved to generate a decent debate but the usual WUM's quickly descended on it and a bunfight developed. I bet the OP wondered why he ever bothered.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions... it just seems that some are quicker, more predictable and more vociferous than others in giving theirs.