Subway 'Halal' scandal

holepuncture

The is uproar on facebook etc by the vocal majority over the decision to stop serving pork in a number of its stores.

Some media outlets are saying it is a blanket ban, others around 200 shops which are in Halal centric areas.

Subway is a franchise so there isnt a great deal the company can do if a franchise decides not to sell a certain sandwich or a type of meat.

Either way the 'native' Brits are absolutely fuming on social media and on the face of it Subway have massively shot themselves in the foot. Look at their official facebook page, it is a total PR disaster.

In the past, I have eaten a meatball Subway and some other Italian meats option. Though this was three or four years ago now, I thought it was pretty rank on both occassions and have never wanted to have another, and the latest uproar simply cements that for me.

How does the lounge feel about the Subway Halal Scandal?

The is uproar on facebook etc by the vocal majority over the decision to stop serving pork in a number of its stores.

Some media outlets are saying it is a blanket ban, others around 200 shops which are in Halal centric areas.

Subway is a franchise so there isnt a great deal the company can do if a franchise decides not to sell a certain sandwich or a type of meat.

Either way the 'native' Brits are absolutely fuming on social media and on the face of it Subway have massively shot themselves in the foot. Look at their official facebook page, it is a total PR disaster.

In the past, I have eaten a meatball Subway and some other Italian meats option. Though this was three or four years ago now, I thought it was pretty rank on both occassions and have never wanted to have another, and the latest uproar simply cements that for me.

How does the lounge feel about the Subway Halal Scandal?

It's been policy for a number of years & I guess they are just meeting demand & maximising profits.

Personally I wouldn't but from an halal Subway but as I live in a very white town it's not an issue. The Subway near work, between college and university buildings, which is near a mosque and in a Muslim area isn't halal either.

I don't agree with it being forced upon all customers. Would it not be better to have a halal option on the menu for those who want it, rather than a blanket approach? I personally think it is pretty disgusting how halal slaughtering of animals is conducted anyway. Another example of backward religious practice with no place in modern society quite frankly.

I was going to start a thread about this earlier but got distracted.

The only places I have seen this reported are, the Daily Mail (shocker) and a Facebook page called Britain First (I was also going to do a TMS thread about this, as it is blooming hilarious), which hardly makes me think it is 100% legit.

Utter nonsense people getting so worked up about it. It's not as if you have to go to Subway. There's plenty of places that will still serve bacon.

I don't agree with it being forced upon all customers. Would it not be better to have a halal option on the menu for those who want it, rather than a blanket approach? I personally think it is pretty disgusting how halal slaughtering of animals is conducted anyway. Another example of backward religious practice with no place in modern society quite frankly.

Depends - there are two varient Halal ways one of which involves stunning the animal first and it therefore arguably pretty much the same as regular slaughtering. This latter way is not acceptable to all muslims though

There are 3 Subways near me, all of them sell Halal meat as an option. It's kept separately and if you request it the server will make it for you, using seperate boards and gloves etc.

The overall ban on it, personally i think is ridiculous. It's preventing people from eating their chosen dietary requirements. If restaurants stopped serving vegetarian dishes people would complain. Bit of a touchy one imo.

I think most Muslims would agree with you there, and are trying very hard to change it.

Unfortunately modern society is taking a bit longer for them to change than they originally thought.

I was kinda raised in a Muslim tradition (think East is East, but without the domestic violence). As a consequence, don't think I knowingly ate pig until I was about thirteen. Nan would surreptitiously purchase ham and hide it in the deepest recesses of the fridge, but my Pakistani grandad can still smell it a mile off. I got told off last year for cooking chorizo in my mum's house :)

Let's face it though; no-one ever went to Subway for good pig, or good anything for that matter. Their "steak" sandwich consists of mechanically recovered rubbish served from a tub by a bored sarnie-smith. I'm not going to get worked up about Subway, but it would be a worry if this became a trend, largely because it's such an immediate thing for racists to bang on about.

Personally, I'm more Vincent Vega than Jules these days. Bacon tastes good. If it disappears from somewhere it actually is important, it'll leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Let's face it though; no-one ever went to Subway for good pig, or good anything for that matter.

Their recent campaign advertising their breakfast bacon rolls would indicate a shift to actively move into that market. Slightly contradictory.

Loads more about halal meat doing the rounds on Twitter this morning.

I love the meat-eaters that object to Halal meat. They are amusing. Russell Brand = best tweet of the morning.

"If you want to avoid halal meat, become a vegetarian, not a racist" :D

Is anyone really that bothered on here? I honestly couldn't give two ****s whether meat I eat is halal or not as long as it tastes good.

I think the only people that are bothered are the Little Englanders who think that the UK is about to become a caliphate.

I'd take halal chicken, beef or lamb over their non-halal alternatives anyday, prompting a couple of trips a week to the international shop.

I laugh at meat-eaters who object to the method of killing, largely because if you eat meat, you're in the animal murder business whichever way you slice it (stunned or unstunned).

It seems I have more compassion that most, I'd prefer for the animal my meat comes from to have been given a little kiss before it's throat is slit.

Was reading further on this; apparently 90% of halal meat is now stunned before getting cut open.

I literally don't care how my meat is killed, as long as it's safe to eat. As others have said, most people who are complaining about this have been eating Halal meat for years from various different establishments.

If you substituted Halal for Kosher in this story, do you think there would be such a big uproar?

I assume all those complaining about this will also be boycotting their favourite curry house in protest?

LOL good point, although on balance it is a totally different offering, Subway present themselves as a US/Western centric brand, curry houses are independent family business more often than not.

For curry houses, kebab shops etc, the issue runs far deeper, its the appalling hygiene standards that let them down, and the blatant mis-selling of products:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27047970

The Foods Standards Agency (FSA) found that 43 out of 145 samples of lamb takeaways - usually curries or kebabs - were wrongly described.

The FSA said 25 of the samples were found to contain only beef, which is cheaper than lamb.

:mcinnes:

LOL good point, although on balance it is a totally different offering, Subway present themselves as a US/Western centric brand, curry houses are independent family business more often than not.

For curry houses, kebab shops etc, the issue runs far deeper, its the appalling hygiene standards that let them down, and the blatant mis-selling of products:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27047970

:mcinnes:

Don't see the distinction.

If you're happy enough to eat slit throat meat from a restaurant or takeaway, why are you not happy to do the same at Subway or Pizza Express?

Was waiting for this one to blow up the brains of the uber Politically Correct.

Halal food not an issue for me as that's all we ever get to eat anyway.

But the issue with Halal most often is in the Slaughtering & processing not being "as kind to the animals" as a zap in the head would be. I can see a few Animal Rights peeps running into "Cultural" issues on this one :rolleyes:

Let's face it the drained blood is used to produce all sorts of other garbage you guys buy in packets from Iceland.

But the REAL issue is that UK is secular therefore it should be against the LAW to discriminate and remove Pork from Sale.

Over here you can buy Pork & you can eat it in a Restaurant. Nobody is forced to eat it and in a Supermarket IF a cashier is unhappy to handle it then they provide gloves OR a Supervisor will step in.

You simply have a Pork licence get approval and as posted above you have separate serving and processes areas.

IMHO a more concerning issue these days on Pork is the amount of freaking SALT that you guys are now putting into your Bacon. UK Bacon is now just about inedible and the pan is simply coated in a salt crust whenever we get UK or Danish Bacon. Thank fook for Kenya & Brazil.

I literally don't care how my meat is killed, as long as it's safe to eat. As others have said, most people who are complaining about this have been eating Halal meat for years from various different establishments.

If you substituted Halal for Kosher in this story, do you think there would be such a big uproar?

Yes. Pretty much every newspaper doing "Kosher" stories would be labelled anti-semitic.

I agree with those who say that objecting to the method of slaughter is not the problem with a lot of people. Let's face it, most people have no idea how their meat is produced or slaughtered and just see it in a cellophane wrapper in the supermarket.

But there are two points that some might consider important, or not as the case may be.

Firstly, some see it as the furtherment of Sharia in the West. Personally I do not want to live in a Sharia state, and at present there is no danger that this will be the case in this country. But, if I lived in somewhere like East Ham, Malmo, Brussels then I am sure that I would think very differently. Secondly, there is the "halal tax". Part of the halal certification calls for zakat to be paid, which then (supposedly!!) ends up with the likes of the Muslim Brotherhood.

Kosher doesn't fund terrorism at least not beneath state level.

I agree with those who say that objecting to the method of slaughter is not the problem with a lot of people. Let's face it, most people have no idea how their meat is produced or slaughtered and just see it in a cellophane wrapper in the supermarket.

But there are two points that some might consider important, or not as the case may be.

Firstly, some see it as the furtherment of Sharia in the West. Personally I do not want to live in a Sharia state, and at present there is no danger that this will be the case in this country. But, if I lived in somewhere like East Ham, Malmo, Brussels then I am sure that I would think very differently. Secondly, there is the "halal tax". Part of the halal certification calls for zakat to be paid, which then (supposedly!!) ends up with the likes of the Muslim Brotherhood.

Kosher doesn't fund terrorism at least not beneath state level.

I don't consider those two points important at all. First, you're completely guessing on where the zakat money might go. I have to congratulate the propagandists on snaring another one though. Your first thought about how Muslims might spend the money? Terrorism? They've done their job on you, kid.

The last point doesn't deserve a response.

I think that, in spirit of our institutional rules, any sort of limitations based on religious backgrounds or rules should not be allowed.

If people who follow a set of beliefs cannot eat a certain type of meat or meat processed in a certain way, then rather than making it a "who concedes more" situation, it's better for those not to engage in something that will compromise their ideas/beliefs (i.e.meat consumption from non-(insert ideologically-backed process)).

My opinion is that we should not be served something that is only prepared in a certain way because of the beliefs of a group of people, irrespective of where they come from. Halal, Kosher...these have origins in specific groups and hence it could very plausibly be argued that it is a discriminatory practice towards others.

This might be of interest to you or others https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVPngzSE94o#t=376

Scared Australian bigots, eh?

Are they really that weak a nation that they'll be undone by a halal certification scheme, or the claim that the certifiers are spending money trying to get Sharia law implemented?

FFS, the only practical outcome here is a big earner for Australian lawyers.

There's a halal subway just down the street from where I live (there's also a non-halal one) and it is very clearly labelled. The policy has been in place since 2007 and has been applied to new shops based on the demographic of the area. 185 out of roughly 1500 are halal, so it's a small number which'll be in areas of large muslim population where there is demand for it and where not much pork would sell anyway I expect. More mixed areas like where I live will have both in short distances from each other. It really isn't duping or anything like that at all, and no one is being forced to eat anything they don't want to.

Also, point in relation to subway - all their meat conforms to EU directives on animal slaughter - i.e it is all prestunned. 90% of Halal meat in this country (RSPCA report) follows the prestunning method.

Out of interest, why do you call them bigots?

They're using the politics of white man's fear to further their own objectives. They make several claims about Islam trying to dominate the world by stealth. If they were making the same claims about Judaism, they'd immediately be branded as bigots.

Of course, what's even funnier is if Australians "sent them all back", most of the population would be in boats, rowing for England, Greece and Italy.

Russell brand is a **** if he thinks that "If you want to avoid halal meat, become a vegetarian, not a racist"

I think it is barbaric to slit the throat of an animal when it is still alive ,

Its not racist at all . I would still eat the meat. I just dont like the mass slaughter of animals like that is not good . equally the stunning of an animal is not perfect either but then they will not feel their thraots being cut

typical brand jumping on the politically correct band wagon, Total tosser

Russell brand is a **** if he thinks that "If you want to avoid halal meat, become a vegetarian, not a racist"

Its not racist at all . I would still eat the meat. I just dont like the mass slaughter of animals like that is not good . equally the stunning of an animal is not perfect either but then they will not feel their thraots being cut

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/slaughter/ALL/

Fks, sake - what would the anti-halal crowd ever do if push came to shove and you actually had to hunt animals yourself? Engage the prey in a Queensberry rules bout first?

Brand's point is that if you eat meat, you're indirectly involved in the animal murder business. 90% of halal meat is stunned before being slit.

This is a stick to beat Muslims, nothing more - and if you've any doubt of that, go onto social media and say that kosher meat is barbaric. That's about as anti-bandwagon as it gets.

Pap and verbal mock by all means yes I'm aware the are bad folk in normal abbatiors who abuse animals and us not and not acceptable . I don't dispute that but we have the highest animal right welfare standards in the uk

I return to ****t brand beach vegetarian and the racist . Halal meat is one way of killing which I feel unacceptablec. It doesn't make me a racist view point

Fks, sake - what would the anti-halal crowd ever do if push came to shove and you actually had to hunt animals yourself? Engage the prey in a Queensberry rules bout first?

Brand's point is that if you eat meat, you're indirectly involved in the animal murder business. 90% of halal meat is stunned before being slit.

This is a stick to beat Muslims, nothing more - and if you've any doubt of that, go onto social media and say that kosher meat is barbaric. That's about as anti-bandwagon as it gets.

Exactly. The whole halal hysteria is about feeding a fear of 'islamification' that is so beloved of far right parties like the BNP. For me, the slightly worrying thing is that this hysteria and its associated agenda and discourse have been appropriated by mainstream media.

How many Muslims living in Britain actually want to Islamify Britain? Every one I have met have never been overly bothered about things like that and just get on with living their lives in peace and doing normal things like everyone else.

Obviously I haven't met them all to form the best opinion but my guess is that rather like fundamentalist Christians, they are a minority that give the rest a bad name.

Edited by hypochondriac

Halal so is it animal welfare thats the issue? or racism?,

Animal welfare then surely a quick kill one blow or whatever is more humane than the chance it may feel pain as it bleeds out because it wasn't fully stunned,

How much Halal Horse meat was there last year? best argument today came from a Sikh , in the minority and just wants to know that his food has,nt been offered to a false idol.

I see no reason that it can't be labelled as Halal or not as the entire food chain is supposed to be traceable,

Ringwood for me it's about animal welfare but there will be those who twist it to fuel the racism course like the ***** Russell brand

It is just as important to know where meat your eating and where it originated.

I listed to a radio show a few ago . And these pallets of compressed meat started in one country was sent to Brazil then to a European country then Greece the holland before hitting the uk . . The driver reported it to the food bods but apparently nothing was done . He was just carrying out his job as a delivery driver .

I think the whole debate would have been nullified if Subway had just given their customers the choice of eating halal products if they want to, and those who want a bacon sarnie the option if they want it.

The problem in what is effectively discriminating against eaters of non halal products is that they are seen as pandering to Muslims and the those that raise concerns are then labelled as racist.

I don't eat Subway so I don't give a toss either way, but those that do should have a choice, then the problem doesn't appear.