This point record vs the last | strachan vs MoPo

ozzmeister

I was thinking today on the train what a season we had and it was amazing we have beaten out points total!

Then I started thinking a bit more in depth about the deltas between the two and tried to think of the comparisons, similarities and differences:

Squad: I can't remember exactly the 2008 squad but the spines were roughly last time round, neime, svennson, svensson?, beastie vs boruc, lovren, Spider-Man, lambert. U then had the flair players then, fabrice, vs lallana, and the work horses, marsden vs now davies.

I think know one would argue our squad now is better.

Score: then 0-1 now

Fitness: starch and teams were always rebound for their fittness but the team now is probably one of the fittest I've known (constant high tempo) hard to choose so I'm going to have to say a draw:

Score: then 1-2 now

Running of the club: fairly obvious, even though Rupert at that time had got us the new stadium, got us our highest place finish he didn't invest in the team and we didn't push on. What's interesting now will Katrina push on or will she consolidate? If I could ignore everything that happened after with lower I could argue a draw especially with the not knowing what happens next with saints now. However I can't:

Score: then 1:3 now

Manager: star hen vs MoPo. Attach an had us playing good football with a more average team on a much tighter budget and without the facilities we have now. MoPo has us playing some of the most progressive attractive football I have seen but has had a lot of investment. Could he has age done the same with star hens squad? Arguably the hardest to contest but I am going to give it to Strachen

Final score 2:3

Therefore a very good attacking game with the quality of the current team being the real difference.

What do people think, have I missed any key catagories? I think others will have the knowledge and time to do a better squad vs squad analysis

Nuts yes your right 2003 Christ seems so long ago now! I agree with what saying above, maybe expectation should be another category where 2003 would be the winner in terms of exceeding expectations. That puts

the two eras at a draw!

Pretty impossible to compare the two. Premier League football in ten years has changed immeasurably, the Premier League is the richest in the world and even teams towards the bottom can afford to recruit some of the best players in Europe and pay them upwards of £50K a week. In our time with Strachan the highest wage earners were on a cap of £16K a week, so we had to make do with the industry of the types of Ormerod, Telfer and such like. Nowadays we can spend £15M on players and pay them exorbitant salaries.

I'd suggest that Strachan made a better fist of the players he had at his disposal, but he never got the team to the heights that Pochettino has. We finished 8th in the cup final season but had we lost on final day we could have finished 12th. Pochettino has achieved the daylight between the side and other mid table contenders.

Plus Strachan's side was often ugly to watch. Just the opposite of the current setup.

Edited by The Kraken

Pretty impossible to compare the two. Premier League football in ten years has changed immeasurably, the Premier League is the richest in the world and even teams towards the bottom can afford to recruit some of the best players in Europe and pay them upwards of £50K a week. In our time with Strachan the highest wage earners were on a cap of 316K a week, so we had to make do with the industry of the types of Ormerod, Telfer and such like. Nowadays we can spend £15M on players and pay them exorbitant salaries.

I'd suggest that Strachan made a better fist of the players he had at his disposal, but he never got the team to the heights that Pochettino has. We finished 8th in the cup final season but had we lost on final day we could have finished 12th. Pochettino has achieved the daylight between the side and other mid table contenders.

Plus Strachan's side was often ugly to watch. Just the opposite of the current setup.

Good post

Interesting thread though, I think one way to look at it is who from the 2002-2003 squad would get in our current squad.

Niemi in the team for sure. I'd have Beatts in the squad. Bridge as backup for Shaw.

EDIT - How the **** did i forget to add Killer? He would have to be ahead of Fonte. And I think Fernandes in that year's form would make the squad, as would Claus.

Anybody else though?

ScreenShot2014-05-05at70940PM.png

Edited by Cascadia Saint

Interesting thread though, I think one way to look at it is who from the 2002-2003 squad would get in our current squad.

Niemi in the team for sure. I'd have Beatts in the squad. Bridge as backup for Shaw.

Anybody else though?

Well at 23 PL goals you'd have to take a 2003 James Beattie in the current squad right now.

Anybody else though?

I will say this, our squad depth was much more impressive in 02-03, sure a lot of them were average premier league players but they were premier league players unlike a lot of our backup players now who are youngsters and leftovers (no disrespect to either as the youngsters come from a brilliant system and the leftovers gave me some great memories).

Brett Ormerod. But mainly because he earned 7 year old me a butt tonne of money with that goal at Villa park leading up to the FA Cup... Gotta love sweepstakes when you have absolutely no idea whats happening..