Anyone go to the awards and get any info about Poch and the players staying/going?

Roger

This is where I really miss Cortese. He would have Poch tied down to a new contract by now and there would be no players leaving that's for sure.

TBH I'm not sure anyone can hold players back if one of the big names offer to treble their wages and allow them to play in the top echelons of the game. I'd be disappointed if any of them went to a Newcastle, Spurs, Everton, but couldn't blame them if they went to one of the top 3/4 or a massive Club abroad. Regular European football, top honours, playing with the world's best etc is quite enticing.

But as a footnote, maybe Cortese has played a negative role here, as the rumours I heard were that some of the more established players noses were slightly out of joint with regards the big ££££££s being paid to Osvaldo and Ramirez (made worse by their lack of return for that money).

This is where I really miss Cortese. He would have Poch tied down to a new contract by now and there would be no players leaving that's for sure.

Barely enough LOLS in the world for this statement.

Cortese quit the project and that's for sure.

TBH I'm not sure anyone can hold players back if one of the big names offer to treble their wages and allow them to play in the top echelons of the game. I'd be disappointed if any of them went to a Newcastle, Spurs, Everton, but couldn't blame them if they went to one of the top 3/4 or a massive Club abroad. Regular European football, top honours, playing with the world's best etc is quite enticing.

But as a footnote, maybe Cortese has played a negative role here, as the rumours I heard were that some of the more established players noses were slightly out of joint with regards the big ££££££s being paid to Osvaldo and Ramirez (made worse by their lack of return for that money).

Don't be a moron in your mongboard game of Chinese whispers - if players noses are out of joint, it's because of offers from other clubs -both in terms of £££ and ambition. We could readily pay Lallana et al. Ramirez-type wages and arguably it would still not be enough.

Of course, you'll be pointing to the loss of motivation and the divisive spirit within the camp since signing these marque players.

Oh wait :facepalm:

If players leave it will be because -

1) Osvaldo and Ramirez wages

2) Mopo not showing any commitment

3) Money

So Champions League football, League titles, cups etc. have nothing to do with it? Seems odd in a world of very driven athletes who must have had immense passion and determination to get to where they are, that winning things plays no part, yet the outlook of the manager (in a career where players will play for many managers) is so important.

I would think success (on the pitch and financially) would be top, the others less relevant.

I agree, lallana's comments and body language were very awkward last night when asked that question. Worrying signs.

That said he did pull it round from talking about the club in the past tense (:scared:) to at least saying "I’ve been here since I was 12 and I want to keep progressing with the club"...

I still don't think he'd ever force a move, however I get the impression he thinks the end is near.

However you look at it, it was not the speech of a lad who has been with the club he loves since he was 11, has just captained them to their best ever premier league finish, got nominated for player of the year, got in the team of the year, and is off to a world cup in Brazil... where was his excitement for the future? :(

Worrying times, hope he was just embarrassed at winning every award :mcinnes:

However you look at it, it was not the speech of a lad who has been with the club he loves since he was 11, has just captained them to their best ever premier league finish, got nominated for player of the year, got in the team of the year, and is off to a world cup in Brazil... where was his excitement for the future? :(

Worrying times, hope he was just embarrassed at winning every award

It was probably in the statement "I’ve been here since I was 12 and I want to keep progressing with the club".

I hope he was just proud at winning every award. Being as they were all voted by different people and he's had an amazing season.

It's a big thing if the captain leaves. Requires even more rebuilding/good PR/persuasion of the rest of the team if manager follows. Eek. Squeaky bum time. If had to choose would take the cash and AL going, but fear it may be both.

Anyone got a relevant reply for the OP?

I think the most relevant reply to the OP is 'No'.

People are desperate to hear news, but there will be none until after the season ends at the earliest, and even then perhaps not for some time. People just need to deal with it.

Daily Mail Abs, Manchester, United Kingdom, 3 hours ago

He's the one player that will be sold for sure. He's at that age where a team like a Southampton know he won't improve further, at 25 you can only become more consistent, you can't get any better. £12-18 million is good business for Southampton and that money can be used to purchase two exciting young players from Spain, Brazil, Italy, Belgium etc.

Here's your archetypal big club fan, possibly Man United, (but you never know where they come from), spouting the usual rubbish that the press ecourages them to. He immediately contradicts himself by saying that Lallana won't improve further, but will become more consistent, which I would have thought was an improvement. Apparently this cretin believes that when a player reaches the grand old age of 25, they cannot get any better. Typically, he also undervalues a player who has performed consistently well as to be chosen to represent England at the World Cup. His estimate is not good business for us, as he couldn't be replaced by anybody as good for anywhere near that sum.

Adam will leave. If you don't think a player will leave for double his salary and champions league football you are deluded!

This and it's nowt to with loyalty etc. You and I and anyone else would move on to play for a top 4 club at the highest levels of the game for double or triple your wages

This nonsense about Osvaldo and Ramirez's wages. At the time, all the players would have been very pleased with those acquisitions, as were we, as it showed a real ambition to climb the table. They will have recognized that to buy could players, money needs to be spent. Obviously it didn't work out in both cases, but I think theyre on enough themselves not to worry too much about blaming the club/getting jealous.

Adam will leave. If you don't think a player will leave for double his salary and champions league football you are deluded!

Players leave for money - they tend to spin it with "I just want to play champions league"

Wanyama had champions league football + league titles + cup wins at Celtic - but left that behind for money.

The main reason any player moves club = money

Well then there's no point. With that logic Lovren, Shaw, Clyne, Chambers, Schneiderin, Wanyama and Rodriguez will leave too.

This is partly why I hate the CL. Everyone obsesses over it, players worry about not playing in it, it provides disgusting money to the richest clubs and yet it's often the most tedious of cup tournaments, designed to reduce the chance of shocks right from the group stage.

You also missed out the fact that the finals are often dour or one-sided. We get stick from the skates about lack of trophies but what about Arsenal - in it every year with no chance of winning for a long time now yet dependent on it's revenue to pay the bills on their stadium. I've seen some great CL games in the 90s and 00s but most of the ones this season have left me cold - the Bayern v Real semi games were dreadful anti-climaxes, glad Atletico disposed of Mourinho and his anti-football. As you say, there are few, if any surprises now. Hard to see a club like Celtic now upsetting the big biys and reaching the last 16 like they did in recent years.

if the board match AL's ambitions then I don't believe he will go.

By that I mean a well deserved pay bump, keeping the core together and adding to it. This is his club... He is the star and he COULD lead us to Europe if the board show some muscle and positive steps forward.

Assuming the board are sh17.... If we didn't get 20-25 mil at the very least (clear of the 25% we owe Bournemouth) for a 25 year old, PFA team of the year, club captain, England international.... I would be most irritated!

I don’t subscribe to this Loyalty Malarkey when it comes to Football Players.

Why have players got to be Loyal?

Yes Southampton gave them a "Chance" but it's no different than a plumbing firm giving an apprentice a "chance" or becoming an intern at a Law Firm... if we subscribed to that line of thinking no one would ever move on from their first job because we're all given a "chance" at some point

Players are just employees, employees with ambition.

In essence, the reason Southampton has done so well over the last 5 years is because we've shown and thus attracted players with ambitions. First to play at a higher level, then in the Premier League and now at International and European level.

If a player has the ability to play in the champion’s league & the ambition to do so then he's going to want to do that, it's no different to you or me having career aspirations.

For me, it's allot easier for a club of Southampton’s size to sell a vision of premier league football when in the lower divisions and attract those ambitious players than it is for us as a premier league club to sell a vision of the champions league.

That ambition that has served us so well in attracting & keeping those players is ultimately going to be the same reason we probably end up losing some of them... that’s life.

For some people, no amount of money can curb ambition, these are the most humble of people... they do what they do because they love what they do and they want to be the best they can be.

Here's your archetypal big club fan, possibly Man United, (but you never know where they come from), spouting the usual rubbish that the press ecourages them to. He immediately contradicts himself by saying that Lallana won't improve further, but will become more consistent, which I would have thought was an improvement. Apparently this cretin believes that when a player reaches the grand old age of 25, they cannot get any better. Typically, he also undervalues a player who has performed consistently well as to be chosen to represent England at the World Cup. His estimate is not good business for us, as he couldn't be replaced by anybody as good for anywhere near that sum.

Well if he's a Manure supporter then he has Rodney as a prime example to back up his assertion. I think actually the improvement shown by Lallana this season over last is immense, no reason to suppose that he cannot go on improving, though maybe the rate of change will slow down over the next couple of years.

I went last night and had a good chat with les reed and luke shaw. Les said we have no intention on selling like shaw or anyone else. He did say it's gonna be a long summer. But talks with poch have been positive and will step up next week. He also said poch and him have planned pre season and poch has given him a list of players he wants. Luke said everything on the papers is ******** at the moment. He loves it here so fingers crossed

I went last night and had a good chat with les reed and luke shaw. Les said we have no intention on selling like shaw or anyone else. He did say it's gonna be a long summer. But talks with poch have been positive and will step up next week. He also said poch and him have planned pre season and poch has given him a list of players he wants. Luke said everything on the papers is ******** at the moment. He loves it here so fingers crossed

This is the best post I have read in ages!

The Les and Ralph conundrum

is it just posssible that both are telling the truth and have their way of responding accordingly to like questions.

and that there has not been any direct approach from football clubs

and therefore the stuff that is being batted away or hit for six is enquiries from the press or agents and not directly from the liverpools uniteds of this world

why some folk have to examine every word in detail is scary.