A meeting with Ralph Krueger

Fitzhugh Fella

Excuse the blatant name drop but am just back from SMS after a ninety minute meeting with Ralph Krueger. David Bull and Gary Chalk were also there as was Terry Paine. I wasn't going to post anything thinking it would attract the usual sly digs etc but I asked his permission to mention it on this forum and he was more than happy for me to post something. I have got to say I was very impressed with him, his enthusiasm and determination to succeed shone through right from the start. No state secrets were revealed but I am fairly sure the stripes will be back as soon as possible (he did say sometimes the club is locked into contracts they have to honour so things take time). Apparently everywhere he has gone the fans have implored him to bring back the stripes.

He said, for him, the new season starts on Monday and he can't wait. It is very obvious he is desperate to engage the community once more. Apparently before he was appointed chairman he attended games incognito, mixing with fans on the concourses and even drinking in the local pubs post match. He has a real hunger to learn and turn the Saints around off the pitch, it was obvious that he felt the club under the old regime did not "respect" the fans enough. I really can see why KL appointed him, half an hour in his company was very motivating. We showed him our books and he seemed to take genuine interest in them and said the club had failed to fully capitalise on our history or "soul" as he put it, in the past.

He cuts an impressive figure but also showed a nice humility and keenness to get to the heart of what makes the city click. I feel the club is in excellent hands and from what I witnessed today I would say the KL and he are here for the long term.

Just one final bit of gossip - from some of the things he said I think any signings are more likely to be British than foreign, the club are very aware how their profile has risen following the success of our England internationals. That doesn't mean to say foreigners won't be signed but the domestic market will be carefully scrutinised first. After Rupert Lowe and Nicola Cortese it was so nice to meet a man without any ego and arrogance to him whatsoever.

St Marys, backstage is a lot happier place than it was last time I visited, that is for sure.

Just one final bit of gossip - from some of the things he said I think any signings are more likely to be British than foreign, the club are very aware how their profile has risen following the success of our England internationals. That doesn't mean to say foreigners won't be signed but the domestic market will be carefully scrutinised first.

Given our recent performance in bringing in established foreign players from outside Britain compared to young British talent or from other British sides, this is definitely a good thing.

Just one final bit of gossip - from some of the things he said I think any signings are more likely to be British than foreign, the club are very aware how their profile has risen following the success of our England internationals. That doesn't mean to say foreigners won't be signed but the domestic market will be carefully scrutinised first.

Marshall & Caulker for starters then? :)

Excuse the blatant name drop but am just back from SMS after a ninety minute meeting with Ralph Krueger. David Bull and Gary Chalk were also there as was Terry Paine. I wasn't going to post anything thinking it would attract the usual sly digs etc but I asked his permission to mention it on this forum and he was more than happy for me to post something. I have got to say I was very impressed with him, his enthusiasm and determination to succeed shone through right from the start. No state secrets were revealed but I am fairly sure the stripes will be back as soon as possible (he did say sometimes the club is locked into contracts they have to honour so things take time). Apparently everywhere he has gone the fans have implored him to bring back the stripes.

He said, for him, the new season starts on Monday and he can't wait. It is very obvious he is desperate to engage the community once more. Apparently before he was appointed chairman he attended games incognito, mixing with fans on the concourses and even drinking in the local pubs post match. He has a real hunger to learn and turn the Saints around off the pitch, it was obvious that he felt the club under the old regime did not "respect" the fans enough. I really can see why KL appointed him, half an hour in his company was very motivating. We showed him our books and he seemed to take genuine interest in them and said the club had failed to fully capitalise on our history or "soul" as he put it, in the past.

He cuts an impressive figure but also showed a nice humility and keenness to get to the heart of what makes the city click. I feel the club is in excellent hands and from what I witnessed today I would say the KL and he are here for the long term.

Just one final bit of gossip - from some of the things he said I think any signings are more likely to be British than foreign, the club are very aware how their profile has risen following the success of our England internationals. That doesn't mean to say foreigners won't be signed but the domestic market will be carefully scrutinised first. After Rupert Lowe and Nicola Cortese it was so nice to meet a man without any ego and arrogance to him whatsoever.

St Marys, backstage is a lot happier place than it was last time I visited, that is for sure.

Thanks for posting, very encouraging. It really does feel like for the first time in years that we have very good leadership. For all the improvements Cortese presided over, we were being governed by some one that had no understanding of what the soul of a football club is about. From what I am hearing thank goodness finally we are back on track...............

He will be judged on success.

After the last 5 years he has got a massive job on his hands.

Year on year we have improved,being a nice bloke wont cut much slack if we start sliding down the table.

Year on year we have improved,being a nice bloke wont cut much slack if we start sliding down the table.

Quite true. He's made a good start though, let's hope the positivity he is exuding can pay dividends.

Thanks for sharing FF.

You cannot disagree with the fact that he talks a very good game, always impressive with what he has to say. I guess the real answers will be made in the summer though, when it's time to start putting the words into action...

Year on year we have improved,being a nice bloke wont cut much slack if we start sliding down the table.[/quote

and there in lies the reason why some, myself included remain a little nervous about the new board. For FF its clear that the club loving the fans is important, that there is a sense of the club belonging to fans and all the old school cultural stuff so important to supporters of provincial, yet oft unsuccessful clubs - it gives us a reason to take pride in more often nothing more than failure in a sporting sense... we cant ever win anything, but what a great 'family' we are, a true icon and bastion of all that supporting a plucky loser is all about - often witnessed here by the 'not bothered is shaw goes if we get 30mil' mentality.

I know what a bastard NC was meant to be... so what IMHO. We have been dragged up from the the mess by cash yes, but also with drive and determination to succeed. My point is i would sacrifice all the fan loving guff for some real drive and determination not to be among the also rans... the new board show that determination and i will be very happy. But i am not suddenly bowled over by some fan platitudes. Dont get me wrong, the odds against achieving higher levels are sadly stacked against us, but its about not giving up, and TRYING in a real sense, not just resigning ourselves to inevitable players sales or managers leaving. In the end, if someone wants to leave for a better opportunity, i dont say good luck, i question why we can not create a better opportunity at this club.

FF, i am sure Krueger does come across as impressive - he has after all achieved a great deal in sport and you dont do that without being able to be convincing when talking to humble punters (no disrespect) and thanks for posting. But sorry, i cant get too excited by the fan friendly stuff, means nothing to me. I will get excited when he reiterates no one is going and our target for next season is to break this seasons points tally - not worried what position, but progress would be 65 points.

Would like to take this feedback at face value, but sounds to me like all the right buttons were being pressed intentionally.

Anyway, actions speak louder than words. Let's see some, preferably starting on Monday (though apparently it always has to wait until after the World Cup..)

Would like to take this feedback at face value, but sounds to me like all the right buttons were being pressed intentionally.

Anyway, actions speak louder than words. Let's see some, preferably starting on Monday (though apparently it always has to wait until after the World Cup..)

Will the "why havn't we signed 18 players yet?!?! :hunt: " thread be here on Tuesday?

Year on year we have improved,being a nice bloke wont cut much slack if we start sliding down the table.[/quote

and there in lies the reason why some, myself included remain a little nervous about the new board. For FF its clear that the club loving the fans is important, that there is a sense of the club belonging to fans and all the old school cultural stuff so important to supporters of provincial, yet oft unsuccessful clubs - it gives us a reason to take pride in more often nothing more than failure in a sporting sense... we cant ever win anything, but what a great 'family' we are, a true icon and bastion of all that supporting a plucky loser is all about - often witnessed here by the 'not bothered is shaw goes if we get 30mil' mentality.

I know what a bastard NC was meant to be... so what IMHO. We have been dragged up from the the mess by cash yes, but also with drive and determination to succeed. My point is i would sacrifice all the fan loving guff for some real drive and determination not to be among the also rans... the new board show that determination and i will be very happy. But i am not suddenly bowled over by some fan platitudes. Dont get me wrong, the odds against achieving higher levels are sadly stacked against us, but its about not giving up, and TRYING in a real sense, not just resigning ourselves to inevitable players sales or managers leaving. In the end, if someone wants to leave for a better opportunity, i dont say good luck, i question why we can not create a better opportunity at this club.

FF, i am sure Krueger does come across as impressive - he has after all achieved a great deal in sport and you dont do that without being able to be convincing when talking to humble punters (no disrespect) and thanks for posting. But sorry, i cant get too excited by the fan friendly stuff, means nothing to me. I will get excited when he reiterates no one is going and our target for next season is to break this seasons points tally - not worried what position, but progress would be 65 points.

Not bowled over by platitudes he says. But absolutely lapped up the pie in the sky Daily Mail friendly nonsense the Italian came out with.

Some of us remember you go weak at the knees over the Italian's "ask not if...but how" platitudes, Franko.

Hook, line, sinker.

And we're is this oh - so - determined driven "bastard" now? The drive and determination to see it through against the odds? Or did he walk out in January?

No points for TRYING to answer that.

Excellent news all round. Thanks very much for sharing. Do you know if he meant British players specifically or just players from British clubs?

No we didn't go that deep, but it was obvious they are looking at Rodriguez type signings rather than Osvaldo type signings was my interpretation

I'll be interested to see the transfer policy. I think there are some good domestic options available and think we've swung too much away from it since Jrod purchase but too much of a swing the other way would be equally bad.

As for rest I'm less bothered in stripes than most and whilst I like that he comes across well the proof will come in whether he can retain the manager and retain the key personnel rather than rolling over and letting the big boys scratch our stomachs.

Thanks for sharing FF.

You cannot disagree with the fact that he talks a very good game, always impressive with what he has to say. I guess the real answers will be made in the summer though, when it's time to start putting the words into action...

Yes I was aware it was just words at the present but the impression I got was of a man desperate to hit the ground running on Monday. As he put it after a long season everyone is knackered but I am a freshman and I am ready to go

No but he told us in ice hockey they rotate players so quickly all the time on of the things that struck him when watching Saints was how little the manager has to do in comparison.

Haha pay cut for pochettino! Thanks for sharing bout this FF

Will the "why havn't we signed 18 players yet?!?! :hunt: " thread be here on Tuesday?

When even Wenger is saying nothing will happen until July because you cannot even TALK to players when they are in their WC Camps I expect many will be really frustrated.

It will make Training Camp really hard for many clubs later this year with what will no doubt be many last ditch moves.

But back to Krueger, Leadership is a difficult skill to master as it requires us to become Followers. Obviously within the FFP rules (now) we will have to cut our cloth carefully. A knock out Sponsorship deal to get the Commercial side moving will IMHO enable the Board to start to deliver.

Think we AND the squad all HOPE it will be possible. I get the feeling the Board want to make it happen. Going back to Stripes with a stripped down team and a load of money in the Bank from Player Sales doesn't feel to me to be his modus operandi. He has a REALLY high level profile to maintain.

I am sure he REALLY wants MORE from this team

Thanks Duncan

I've just watched the video of Ralph speaking at the dinner and his cycle ride to Villa.

I know he is a motivational speaker so we can expect a decent line from him, but everything I've heard from the club lately has just been music to my ears. Maybe I'm buying into it too easily, I hope not.

But listening to Les Reed, Ralph and KL I don't know a time when I've felt better about being a Saints fan.

I really can't understand the negativity from some posters, dressed up as telling us 'the other side of things'.

Just enjoy....

So then, from what I can make out we will be getting stripes back, but maybe not until the Adidas deal has run its course.

On Monday next he will be sitting down with whomever, MoPo , Shaw, Lallana et,al to sort out deals.

He wants us to invest in the future by carrying on with the great work we are doing with young British talent.

It may be my new rose tinted glasses playing tricks on me but, the future looks bright.

He doesn't strike me as a man to deal in platitudes. He seemed genuine, anxious to succeed and keen to bring the fans with him. Actually he and Nigel would have got on just fine. Yes he will be judged on what happens in the summer and next year but I feel we have a good man in our corner who respects the fans views without being a hostage to them.

Not bowled over by platitudes he says. But absolutely lapped up the pie in the sky Daily Mail friendly nonsense the Italian came out with.

Some of us remember you go weak at the knees over the Italian's "ask not if...but how" platitudes, Franko.

Hook, line, sinker.

And we're is this oh - so - determined driven "bastard" now? The drive and determination to see it through against the odds? Or did he walk out in January?

Hey CB, I was just reading this thread and noticed you hadn't mentioned on there that Cortese left yet, I was a little concerned at first but after seeing this I guess it was just a mistake.

Keep up the good work, I keep forgetting he left. Your reminders are very useful :)

Hook, line, sinker.

You need to at least think before you reply with your ingrained prejudices... lets take them in turn shall we?

1. 'the Italian' - do you have to try really hard to come across as a bigot or is it something that comes naturally? As i understood it he was Swiss Italian anyway, but what has his nationality got to do with anything any way?

2. Nowt wrong in my book by 'lapping up'' talk that suggests ambition... positive vibes and all that ...but thats about the sporting side, not stripes and parking fees and other fan friendly ****** of 'being in touch with the fan' but as always the proof of the pudding is in the eating... can only judge on the year on year progress - and ...yes...yawn.... cash... from liebherr blah blah, yes we all know that he was so great at spending other peoples money.... well apply some intelligence to that for a moment. If you look in detail at what the accounts show, the liebherrs seem comfortable with the initial 30 mil equity conversion... Something that suggest this was approx amount Markus was willing to spend on our progress. The amount spent since seems pretty normal for a prem club, with both cap ex and transfer expenditure likely to be spread over a number of years... It's only the new board that seem to be making any headlines out of it... A cynic might suggest in order to prepare fans for player sales that are not really necessary... But hey...

3. Ask not if, but how.... Seems a pretty good mantra to me, rather than just accepting mediocrity, no matter what your 'realism' tells you... But your life choice I guess

4. And there was me think you all felt that Cortese was sacked? Can't walk out and be sacked, which is it? And whilst I don't agree with walking out if that is the case, I can at least understand why someone who has on his own led an organization through such rapid progress, despite being well rewarded, might believe he should be allowed to take on the challenge of the next step... He might consider he had earned that right and that it undermined his position to change the boardroom structure and reporting lines.... You seem to confuse someone understanding why someone might behave in a certain way, with agreeing with it... But why let such subtle things get in the way of your usual opening of gob before engaging your brain....

You need to at least think before you reply with your ingrained prejudices... lets take them in turn shall we?

1. 'the Italian' - do you have to try really hard to come across as a bigot or is it something that comes naturally? As i understood it he was Swiss Italian anyway, but what has his nationality got to do with anything any way?

2. Nowt wrong in my book by 'lapping up'' talk that suggests ambition... positive vibes and all that ...but thats about the sporting side, not stripes and parking fees and other fan friendly ****** of 'being in touch with the fan' but as always the proof of the pudding is in the eating... can only judge on the year on year progress - and ...yes...yawn.... cash... from liebherr blah blah, yes we all know that he was so great at spending other peoples money.... well apply some intelligence to that for a moment. If you look in detail at what the accounts show, the liebherrs seem comfortable with the initial 30 mil equity conversion... Something that suggest this was approx amount Markus was willing to spend on our progress. The amount spent since seems pretty normal for a prem club, with both cap ex and transfer expenditure likely to be spread over a number of years... It's only the new board that seem to be making any headlines out of it... A cynic might suggest in order to prepare fans for player sales that are not really necessary... But hey...

3. Ask not if, but how.... Seems a pretty good mantra to me, rather than just accepting mediocrity, no matter what your 'realism' tells you... But your life choice I guess

4. And there was me think you all felt that Cortese was sacked? Can't walk out and be sacked, which is it? And whilst I don't agree with walking out if that is the case, I can at least understand why someone who has on his own led an organization through such rapid progress, despite being well rewarded, might believe he should be allowed to take on the challenge of the next step... He might consider he had earned that right and that it undermined his position to change the boardroom structure and reporting lines.... You seem to confuse someone understanding why someone might behave in a certain way, with agreeing with it... But why let such subtle things get in the way of your usual opening of gob before engaging your brain....

I'm the one with 'ingrained prejudices' says the man who has decided that RK stands for nothing but mediocrity for no other reason than he is not Nicola Cortese. Right you are then.

And the man with the ingrained prejudice that Cortese's proclamations were "ambition" when they were nothing more than aimless posturing and media sound - biting.

You want to believe that junk, fine.

Cortese didn't believe in it enough to stick around to deliver on it. Ran for the effing hills before he ever had to face into a tough, tough summer. Such determination and drive. Almost like it was all total bulls hi t, Franko, ain't it? Keep believing it you utter mug.

Hey CB, I was just reading this thread and noticed you hadn't mentioned on there that Cortese left yet, I was a little concerned at first but after seeing this I guess it was just a mistake.

Keep up the good work, I keep forgetting he left. Your reminders are very useful :)

For as long as people churn out guff about how no players or the manager would ever leave if the Italian was still here, then I'll keep reminding people.

He was first out the door, so how the hell he is the poster boy for keeping people at SMS when he couldn't get out quick enough is beyond me.

I'm the one with 'ingrained prejudices' says the man who has decided that RK stands for nothing but mediocrity for no other reason than he is not Nicola Cortese. Right you are then.

And the man with the ingrained prejudice that Cortese's proclamations were "ambition" when they were nothing more than aimless posturing and media sound - biting.

You want to believe that junk, fine.

Cortese didn't believe in it enough to stick around to deliver on it. Ran for the effing hills before he ever had to face into a tough, tough summer. Such determination and drive. Almost like it was all total bulls hi t, Franko, ain't it? Keep believing it you utter mug.

Do we need another thread devolving into pointless arguments? I'm sure you two can sort this out privately or just resist the urge to reply. Debate, fine, but you're just chucking insults at each other now.

Thanks for the info FF, it's good to hear. The media are trying their best to sell our whole squad, but this is very comforting!

Edited by igsey
Screwed up BB codes for quoting

Do we need another thread devolving into pointless arguments? I'm sure you two can sort this out privately or just resist the urge to reply. Debate, fine, but you're just chucking insults at each other now.

Thanks for the info FF, it's good to hear. The media are trying their best to sell our whole squad, but this is very comforting!

I've said my piece to the gullible old soak, so I won't carry on.

The opening post was great to read.

We're a club with soul, and loads to be proud of.

What will be will be, and if we are hovering around tenth or eleventh (the shame of it) next season I won't be weeping into my beer like some of the delusionals on here.