Luke Shaw - Done Deal

Gemmel

What would be telling is where this news has come from. It is either our club, United, Luke himself or someone with a motive to destabilise the player / club.

Clue: the article is by one of Cortese's journo friends.... :)

Another drip-feed of bad news from Ben Smith.

Its as if he has another agenda.

Hope he's washed the chairman mess from his mouth.

This story could easily have come from the club. Helps quash the "it's an asset strip" bulls hit.

Ambitious player wanted by gigantic club wants to go to gigantic club. We've got to get used to it.

This story could easily have come from the club. Helps quash the "it's an asset strip" bulls hit.

Ambitious player wanted by gigantic club wants to go to gigantic club. We've got to get used to it.

Agree with that one CB. .......or will someone suggest that ambition is a dirty word - unless it's a lifetime career with Saints.

Good luck to him, I say. Just get a decent " sell-on clause " in the contract, and .....who's the next in line from the Academy?

I see big Adam is twisting the words on what Luke shaw said and when he said it

@bigadamsport: #saintsfc defender Luke Shaw has informed the club that he wants to join Manchester United #mufc

Sorry I have not had much time fir big Adam . Again he twists a story . If he cared to check his facts brigand am could gave said LS asked to join united after the Man U game at a function .

Instead the tweet highlighted by trousers suggests it is a new tweet from this donkey of a journo has made and not an old comment Ben smith reported and on the BBC today .

Meanwhile I see the mirror regurgitating the chambers story . Tossers

Edited by Viking Warrior

I see big Adam is twisting the words on what Luke shaw said and when he said it

@bigadamsport: #saintsfc defender Luke Shaw has informed the club that he wants to join Manchester United #mufc

Sorry I have not had much time fir big Adam . Again he twists a story . If he cared to check his facts brigand am could gave said LS asked to join united after the Man U game at a function .

Instead the tweet highlighted by trousers suggests it is a new tweet from this donkey of a journo has made and not an old comment Ben smith reported and on the BBC today .

Meanwhile I see the mirror regurgitating the chambers story . Tossers

You are making yourself look ridiculous and dare I say it, ignorant with your OTT criticism of Adam Blackmore. Have you never heard the phrase "don't shoot the messenger"? Adam is by far one of the more trustworthy journalists who tells it as he hears it. I have learnt to respect his tweets and updates as pretty reliable. Just because you don't like what you hear doesn't mean you should condemn the person who gives you the news. Remember he has connections with all the Saints players. You live a long way from the action and I think the remoteness is clouding your judgement judging by several of your recent posts.

I hope Saints have told Shaw and Lallana to have the stones' "you can't always get what you want" on their playlists this summer.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

They probably don't know who the Stones are. Morrissey was staying in the same hotel as the England team in Miami and only Leighton Baines recognised him and had a chat. The rest were oblivious as to who he was.

True story.

They probably don't know who the Stones are. Morrissey was staying in the same hotel as the England team in Miami and only Leighton Baines recognised him and had a chat. The rest were oblivious as to who he was.

True story.

It has been a while since Men Behaving Badly...

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

This has taken a long time to surface, considering that the last match against Man Utd was a month ago. And typically of the merry-go-round journos, it gets repeated everywhere as if it is worthy of attention. They don't seem to have realised that this just makes them all look ridiculous as the time frame since then has the red top rags telling us that Shaw to United is 99% a done deal. That is followed by suggestions that United are since considering buying an alternative left back, Jordi Alba from Barcelona. Now, this all might be a ploy to scare Southampton into selling him to them before they change their minds, but the message doesn't seem to have penetrated that firstly we do not need to sell and secondly that we will not sell before we appoint our new manager and run it past him.

Much the same scenario has been played out by Liverpool with Lallana and yet despite the frenzy whipped up in the media, both players are still with us. Both might yet go, but if Man United and Liverpool have their bluffs called and refuse to stump up the lolly that we demand for Shaw and Lallana, then they might still be with us until at least the January transfer window. If they both have a good World Cup and we get off to a flying start with our new manager and our new players, either their prices will rise further, or they might consider that it is worthwhile staying with us a further year.

True story.

To be fair to them, I think I would avoid chatting that to that pillock if I could help it!

One good outcome may be if players learn that if they don't want to be committed to a club for several years, because they want to keep their options open:- DON'T SIGN a long contract! Of course, if you don't sign a long contract you might not get such high pay but I'm sure there's some old saying about having cake and eating it.......

SFC have the power to stand firm and we all wait to see what decision they come to, although if it is to let them go and we then get letters of regret and farewell along the lines of the one done for Rickie, it'll be sick bags all round. Good as both Shaw and Lallana are, quite a few fans might feel they are replaceable and would be quite glad to see the back of them, which would be a sad way to end years of association with the club, but sadder for the players than for the fans, because the Saints go marching on regardless of the personnel.

So are any of you beginning to believe the info i passed on? Shaw has been talking for a long time about joining utd. The deal dates back to the january window where united were told 'not now'

Er, no. You said the deal was "done" when it quite clearly isn't.

Although it remains to be seen what happens, it does seem that there has been many an underestimation of SFC and it's management. While big clubs may well be correct in their thinking that players will be attracted to them, the way they go about it is somewhat arrogant, although trying to get players as cheap as possible is of course good business practice. Seeing NC disappear and the club be taken back in hand by an owner who is a 36yo woman who seemingly has little interest in football might well be the natural conclusion. Appointing a hockey coach might even have reinforced this. But the club so far has been unwavering (and the sale of RL is a bit of a red herring) and has not kowtowed in the face of the "attacks" by bigger clubs, save for not being able to keep MP.

Having re signed Evra for another year I really cant see why utd would spunk a fifth of their alleged budget on another left back when they clearly need centre halves and midfielders and possibly a striker.

Yes I know he is the future but Utd have to get back into champs league next season and win something

Agree with some of the sentiments registered here recently.

Reluctantly I have come round to the fact that Shaw and indeed Lallana are probably going to leave. I am old enough to get over our best players leaving (just about).

I am also becoming increasingly optimistic that our board are indeed carrying out their mandate of getting the best deal for Saints. Along with some of the more looney fringe on here I had become a little dubious as to the boards credentials but as time goes on I get the feeling we are playing hardball.

Essentially, I am quite comfortable with players leaving (so long as its not everyone of course) as long as we drive the hardest bargain possible. We insert huge sell-on clauses' (especially in the case of Shaw) and we demand the majority of the transfer fee up front.

I think most fans would acknowledge the board had acted with integrity and in the best interests of the club if this were to be the outcome with any transfer we complete this summer.

Anything less however, and I will be very disappointed.

I would also be extremely disappointed should the majority of any transfer fees raised not be re-invested back into the team.

Play hard Saints... the ball is so in your court even Nadal would struggle to beat you.

So are any of you beginning to believe the info i passed on? Shaw has been talking for a long time about joining utd. The deal dates back to the january window where united were told 'not now'

No. You said a few times that the deal is done

Which it clearly isn't

You also said that shaw was going to start against Peru, he also never

I would stay a little more quiet if I were you

Seriously Fitzhugh

I have an opinion Re Blackmore just the same as you have your opinion about my post

I accept the fact that certain players will be leaving. I realise you are pally wally with blackmore , but all he had to say was that LS had asked the board about Joining united occured after the United match as per ben smiths bbc article. Blackmores tweet suggested he had asked for a transfer in the last 24 hours not a few weeks ago. To me he distorted the story to suit his own reporting needs, If he has spoken to LS in the last 24 hours. then that would suggest LS is not focussing on the world cup and more concerned about getting away from southampton.

so please do not patronise me or be so condescending about my post or the fact Im living so far away from the action

I have family down there as well as friends . I have my views as you have yours . some I agree with and some i will have a completely different view point than you

This is one of those occassions

Edited by Viking Warrior

He's an opposition fan on a wind up. Despite it being very likely that Shaw will leave, it's obvious that ink isn't dry yet.

I've given him a 2 week ban to keep him quiet for a bit.

Fair enough. Glasgow's on borrowed time then.

Seriously Fitzhugh

I have an opinion Re Blackmore just the same as you have your opinion about my post

I accept the fact that certain players will be leaving. I realise you are pally wally with blackmore , but all he had to say was that LS had asked the board about Joining united occured after the United match as per ben smiths bbc article. Blackmores tweet suggested he had asked for a transfer in the last 24 hours not a few weeks ago. To me he distorted the story to suit his own reporting needs, If he has spoken to LS in the last 24 hours. then that would suggest LS is not focussing on the world cup and more concerned about getting away from southampton.

so please do not patronise me or be so condescending about my post or the fact Im living so far away from the action

I have family down there as well as friends . I have my views as you have yours . some I agree with and some i will have a completely different view point than you

This is one of those occassions

I know its School holidays but you are barking up the wrong tree with Blackmore and generally how everything, media, football, Saints etc works.

Blackmore works as BBC Journalist, not a Saints supporter liasion officer and is just doing his job and doing it well. Just because the message isnt to our liking, its not his fault and basically he has to be aware of the central BBC hierarcy, ie. Ben Smith et al - he can hardly contradict them.

Go to a holiday camp or play Playstation with your pals and just see how it all unfolds.

I know its School holidays but you are barking up the wrong tree with Blackmore and generally how everything, media, football, Saints etc works.

Blackmore works as BBC Journalist, not a Saints supporter liasion officer and is just doing his job and doing it well. Just because the message isnt to our liking, its not his fault and basically he has to be aware of the central BBC hierarcy, ie. Ben Smith et al - he can hardly contradict them.

Go to a holiday camp or play Playstation with your pals and just see how it all unfolds.

What school do your kids go to?

I think you should re-read VW's post and realise that he has an issue with the timing of what BigAdam is repeating. Why say it now when LS "apparently" said it 4 weeks ago. BigAdam/Ben Smith are trying to make this look like new news when it clearly isn't.

I think you should re-read VW's post and realise that he has an issue with the timing of what BigAdam is repeating. Why say it now when LS "apparently" said it 4 weeks ago. BigAdam/Ben Smith are trying to make this look like new news when it clearly isn't.

I think journos can release news whenever they want, I expect he didn't have much to write about this week. Or he only just found out.

Either way it's their job to write stuff and get people to read their publications.

I find the whole thing with Luke wanting out a bit grating. It seems we can devolop our academey and bring on great young players and then, if they are considered any good, we're lucky to get to see them play for one season. At least with Adam we got to see him devolop and got to use his talent to push the club on.

I mean the cash from selling Luke will, if it is re-invested in the team, no doubt buy a couple of good players but it would be nice to get to see some of academey players stay a while. Watching Oxo play in the England game the other night reminded me how much I enjoyed watching play for saints. I love that saints have a good academey and clearly the top talent won't want to stay at saints forever but it would be nice to get 3-4 seasons out of academey players rather than see them buggering off before they even reach 20.

Ben Smith is in control of the story. Blackmore probably had no say on when its released.

Maybe they only found out about it now.

As for the unsettling of Shaw, there have been rumours since he was in our U18s and they havent done him any harm.

There is no anti Saints sentiment to any of it and Blackmore is IMO the best local Journalist who covers Saints and the best connected by quite some distance.

But we've just come up. Some will be exceptional cases but the real test is keeping players like JWP, Chambers, Reed who probably will stay a while and save us fortunes. The longer we stay up, the more chance we have of keeping players. Every year we earn a fortune in TV revenues, we can invest in the club, in players. If that's not working, the board and management isn't doing its job. If it is working, the club grows.

IMO the plan should be to focus on staying up for 10 years with as many top 10 finishes as possible, keeping managers and coaching as long as possible, building the academy and giving more players a chance. Fans get impatient after a season, but too many clubs have imploding very quickly. We ourselves were relegated after years of mid-table football. We'd lost our relegation fighters and forgotten how to do it. The top 7 won't go down next season. Any of the other clubs could, and that should be priority 1.

I don't disagree getting the academy to work for us is long term thing that needs to be built and no doubt a part of it is selling on some of the talent for good money. Just find it a bit sad when the bright young things like Luke are ready to blow us off so quick. Adam I can cope with better his given us a fair few years, Luke has barely played for us (much like oxo, Walcott and Bale).

Ben Smith is in control of the story. Blackmore probably had no say on when its released.

Maybe they only found out about it now.

As for the unsettling of Shaw, there have been rumours since he was in our U18s and they havent done him any harm.

There is no anti Saints sentiment to any of it and Blackmore is IMO the best local Journalist who covers Saints and the best connected by quite some distance.

Absolutely spot on. Viking Warrior is a magnificent bandwagon jumper to the popular cause. He used to be one of the knitters at the bottom of the guillotine during the French Revolution!

I don't jump on the bandwagon fitzhugh .

I have my opinion that's all . And as BIg Bad bob quite rightly pointed out LS asked for a move 4weeks ago not in the last 24 hours .

But hey don't let that fog your judgement . Your more likely to jump on a bandwagon than I providing it suits your agenda .

Still you have a playground buddy in st Charlie to play with . And of course your now hunky dory with the club again .

Edited by Viking Warrior

One would assume they're only saying it now because the information only came out of the club in the last 24 hours...

Or, they knew about it as soon as it happened then both decided to sit on it for 4 weeks and release it at that traditional slow news time on the eve of the world cup, which of course is just as likely.

Did I imagine it or was it reported several weeks ago by Blackmore and co that Luke had expressed an interest to speak to United. Probably got buried a bit in all the Lallana ho ha at the time so now that's gone quiet, they've decided to have another go at this one...

Absolutely spot on. Viking Warrior is a magnificent bandwagon jumper to the popular cause. He used to be one of the knitters at the bottom of the guillotine during the French Revolution!
Blackmore was very sympathetic to Pompey and failed to point out how much they had taken from HMRC and all the others.

Wow, you really can't see the word for the trees with Blackmore can you? I used to like him until this Summer. Since then he's become a bit of a pr!ck, trying to wind up Saints fans into a frenzy (as you have obviously bought into) with some news that is true, some news that is false, and some news that is irrelevant.

I find the whole thing with Luke wanting out a bit grating. It seems we can devolop our academey and bring on great young players and then, if they are considered any good, we're lucky to get to see them play for one season. At least with Adam we got to see him devolop and got to use his talent to push the club on.

I mean the cash from selling Luke will, if it is re-invested in the team, no doubt buy a couple of good players but it would be nice to get to see some of academey players stay a while. Watching Oxo play in the England game the other night reminded me how much I enjoyed watching play for saints. I love that saints have a good academey and clearly the top talent won't want to stay at saints forever but it would be nice to get 3-4 seasons out of academey players rather than see them buggering off before they even reach 20.

What, like with Lallana, that a lot of Saints fans are incredibly angry with. Better do it now befoe the fans get 'too' attached.

Blackmore being local can hope to have more kudos regarding stories that concern the players of the local club. But he begins to look like an idiot when he all of a sudden resurrects stories that are a month old. Perhaps he's not happy that his media exposure had died down because Saints have put the brake on player sales until the new manager has cast an eye over the players and feels neglected and needed to shout out "hey look at me". I'm fed up with the media hysteria, which originated since that naive press release that the new board had inherited a difficult financial situation when Cortese left, so that is their fault. But if Blackmore had any goodwill towards us, he would have put a more positive slant on that story and reflected the views of most of our fans, that the financial situation was not really anything to be that worried about, instead of contributing to the hysteria himself.

The club have a delicate balancing act to perform regarding our youngsters. Nippers sitting down and deciding which academy to join or whether to sign their first pro contract with us will want to move to the biggest clubs eventually. The scouting networks are now far superior than they ever were so the big clubs will have been aware if Luke and his ilk for years. Reed, or whoever sits down with the next batch of young stars can sell the club by saying " get a great grounding, get into the first team earlier" , players will know that they can also move on to the Chelsea's and man utds later. If we start standing in their way or start getting a reputation of standing in their way, the parents or increasingly their agents, will advise going straight to a big club or not signing pro forms with us.like it or not youngsters will see us as a pathway to a big club and that must be a selling point for the best 9,10,11ect year olds.

I don't jump on the bandwagon fitzhugh .

I have my opinion that's all . And as BIg Bad bob quite rightly pointed out LS asked for a move 4weeks ago not in the last 24 hours .

But hey don't let that fog your judgement . Your more likely to jump on a bandwagon than I providing it suits your agenda .

Still you have a playground buddy in st Charlie to play with . And of course your now hunky dory with the club again .

The truth hurts and I see you can't resist bringing out the old line "Duncan has an agenda". That is precisely what I mean about you can't resist jumping on a bandwagon. Tell me just what is my agenda in your original opinion, I would be very interested especially as now I am all hunky dory with the club as you put it. So come on spill the beans...prove you have an ounce of individualism in that mixed up mind of yours.

Blackmore being local can hope to have more kudos regarding stories that concern the players of the local club. But he begins to look like an idiot when he all of a sudden resurrects stories that are a month old. Perhaps he's not happy that his media exposure had died down because Saints have put the brake on player sales until the new manager has cast an eye over the players and feels neglected and needed to shout out "hey look at me". I'm fed up with the media hysteria, which originated since that naive press release that the new board had inherited a difficult financial situation when Cortese left, so that is their fault. But if Blackmore had any goodwill towards us, he would have put a more positive slant on that story and reflected the views of most of our fans, that the financial situation was not really anything to be that worried about, instead of contributing to the hysteria himself.

I don't think it Blackmore's job to generate good will towards us, nor is it his duty to propagate ill will. Just communicate news he considers to be true when he gets it. He often prefaces his tweets with "don't shoot the messenger". Like you I am pretty peeved with the media over the last few weeks especially that jerk Jackson from the Observer who maintained the Shaw deal was done and dusted but in Blackmore's case I know he at least is trying to get to the crux of the matter. Plus of course he has a job to do and saying nothing or slanting stories would soon cost him that job.