Adam Lallana - Medical at Liverpool

Dr Who?

It must strike everyone a bit bizarre that all of a sudden all our players want to leave. I think they all bought into the NC plan but when he "departed" they all realised it was not going to happen.

Alpine says it all started going wrong when ML died but I disagree, his passing gave NC a free hand and unchecked his ambitions widened. The only problem was the cash wasn't his and the dream he sold to the players was never authorised by Katharina Liebherr.

I dont think its bizarre all these players want to leave but I do think your reason is incorrect.

Lets look at the aways or supposed want aways - Lambert, Lallana, Shaw, Lovren and Morgan.

What have they all got in common ?

They are all current internationals, they are all mixing with a bunch of Billy Big Balls who are turning their heads, talking about life at a big club, the Champions league etc etc.

Rickie virtually admitted that the wonderful Stevie G had been in his ear about Liverpool, Rogers congratulated him after his England debut etc.

Thats the bloody problem, these International call ups are a bad thing for clubs like us.

Morgan was talking of going in a bid to get into the France squad. Ok, he is there now, he has played so that should be the end of it. But no, he will now want CL football to maintain his place in the French team/squad. No doubt he and the rest are encouraged to seek out the bigger clubs cos we all know playing for England etc is so much more advantageous when playing for one of the big boys. And I suspect its no different for France, Croatia, any of them.

And that post is utter bulls hit. If you seriously believe Lovren was turning down significantly more money or significantly bigger clubs to buy into our "vision" then you're a fool.

Cheers a fool I must be then. I know it is what his agent is saying (yes I know it's his agent) and for me it adds up. Why would he be seeking a move after just one season then? I honestly believe this time last year the players collectively bought into the "this club is going somewhere" scenario. Morale and team spirit was high and it got higher. Then the rug was pulled and once one player decided to go it was like a house of cards.

Cheers a fool I must be then. I know it is what his agent is saying (yes I know it's his agent) and for me it adds up. Why would he be seeking a move after just one season then? I honestly believe this time last year the players collectively bought into the "this club is going somewhere" scenario. Morale and team spirit was high and it got higher. Then the rug was pulled and once one player decided to go it was like a house of cards.

Because Liverpool want to sign him?

Agree - do think there might be something in this.

Too many dinlows who've never experienced or tasted professional success reduce motivation to a brute Pavlovian response - more $$$, bigger club. Don't get me wrong, they're important but they're not everything.

Edited by shurlock

Agree - do think there is something in this.

Too many dinlows who've never experienced or tasted professional success reduce motivation to a brute Pavlovian response - more $$$, bigger club. Don't get me wrong, they're important but they're not everything.

The pavlovian response on here is SFC is the only club who have/had a vision.

No other club ever seems to and players only sign for other clubs for those "bigger club/more ££££" reasons.

And no one ever joins us because we are a big club offering ££££, of course. Never.

I have yet to see anyone saying that Lallana joined Liverpool because they have a great vision, just that he is leaving us because ours has apparently changed. And no one leaves to join us because they are disillusioned with the vision at their old club, just that they are joining us because our vision is better. Funny ain't it.

The pavlovian response on here is SFC is the only club who have/had a vision.

No other club ever seems to and players only sign for other clubs for those "bigger club/more ££££" reasons.

And no one ever joins us because we are a big club offering ££££, of course. Never.

I have yet to see anyone saying that Lallana joined Liverpool because they have a great vision, just that he is leaving us because ours has apparently changed. And no one leaves to join us because they are disillusioned with the vision at their old club, just that they are joining us because our vision is better. Funny ain't it.

Did I deny other clubs had a vision, if that's what you want to call it? Just said $$$ and size of club are not trump cards that settle every argument. Different clubs have different visions, different visions appeal to different players. Just in the same way people join start-ups and others work for big, established multinationals.

FWIW, Liverpool have a pretty compelling vision - Rodgers is a young, charismatic manager, believes in playing attractive football, uses an English core and are challenging again. But so did we, albeit it was pitched very differently - and a track record to show that it was not just a generous sprinkling of fluff and guff. We'll see if the new regime can credibly convey a new one.

You (and his agent) might be right but I must confess I'm struggling with the logic of him choosing us based on the fact 'we are/were going somewhere' over choosing another club were he could earn more money and which is already 'there'.

Personally, I would assume he felt more confident of a regular starting spot for us in the year before the World Cup started and that's what swung it for us. Now that has worked out for him he's using the 'vision' against us and wants away so he can earn more corn. I think he also safer in the knowledge he'll get a regular starting spot for a bigger club than us now too.

Why would he be seeking a move after just one season then?

Why would he turn down actual bigger clubs in favour of a club with a vision of getting bigger? He was in a hole at Lyon and wanted out. Seems to me he thought a year at Southampton in the PL window would be good for him.

more likely bigger clubs didn't want to pay lyon's price for him when his career was stalling while we did and the CL dream was acceptable.

NC might even have promised players he wouldn't stand in their way if the plan failed.

As has been said on here before. Barcelona is a good model to follow, they occasionally buy big for a player that complements their playing ethos. But a majority of their players are academy bred. They sell as well and reinvest so no club is immune, so bye AL lifes hard at the top, hope you can handle the high scrutiny and even higher expectation your going to get. Glad we dont closely follow the Real Madrid/ Citeh model, as any club can buy a title;)

Edited by SOTONS EAST SIDE

Of course I don't, like most of us I am trying to make some sort of sense of what is happening with some joined up thinking. I remember thinking when I heard of ML's death that it was a bad day for Southampton Fc, because it was his dream. I think NC then picked up the baton, raised the bar and for a while KL was happy to sign the cheques because she wanted to carry on what her father had started. NC then stepped out of his lane, spent (and wasted) too much money, made promises he shouldn't and she finally had enough.

This is all conjecture, as are most things on this forum, but I do base it on a knowledge of the past and talking to people better placed than me.

I think though where your conjecture is misplaced is where you say thatKL carried on signing the cheques after ML died. This is just plain wrong. After ML died the Club was in the hands of the Trustees of the ML Estate. KL had no real control, indeed she may not have had any involvement, I don't know whether she was or was not a trustee. I believe NC was a trustee, but there were no doubt others. Until the Probate process was completed, which I think happened during the first half of 2013, KL did not own the Club. It was only after she took control that it started to become clear to NC that things would be somewhat different under her watch, and that her ambitions, while still positive and reasonable did not match the ambitions of NC and ML to push us on to the level where European football was at least achievable. I'm reasonably content with my view based on all that has happened that NC believed he could either persuade KL to up her investment or if not he had a buyer in the wings ready to do so. What went wrong was that KL refused to sell. The result is where we are today with coach and players feeling let down and bailing out. KL may still be a decent owner and still invest a reasonable amount in the Club, but it will only be to have the ambition of being a mid-table PL team. And this is threatened currently because the Board are having to cope with an unexpected hiatus where the team is being decimated by want away players. We had a ridiculously small squad already and now we will have to bring in 8 or 9 players to even maintain what we had (if all the stories come to fruition). 2014/15 is going to be a bumpy ride, no-one can bring in that many players in one go without a hitch, hopefully we can at least survive next season and then RK can start to see the improvements the following season.

The article I posted last night from Liverpool Kop referred that negotiations with Saints were still dealing with finer details. ( "but the Reds are still negotiating the finer details with Southampton")

Might that insinuate that someone from Liverpool coming in our direction? Hence the delay.I certainly hope not unless it were Philippe Coutinho. More likely to be the medical requiring in depth tests that take longer.

Why would he turn down actual bigger clubs in favour of a club with a vision of getting bigger? He was in a hole at Lyon and wanted out. Seems to me he thought a year at Southampton in the PL window would be good for him.

Precisely. Fitzhugh's grumbles only make sense if Lovren was trying to get a move to West Brom or something.

It's Liverpool (and Barca, maybe) who want him. The vision thing really is a total, total irrelevance.

I'm hoping he fails his medical and is made to play with our development squad until January , either that or he fails miserably at Liverpool and ends up struggling to get games , call me bitter but I wish no one who leaves us success except maybe Lambert !

I'm hoping he fails his medical and is made to play with our development squad until January , either that or he fails miserably at Liverpool and ends up struggling to get games , call me bitter but I wish no one who leaves us success except maybe Lambert !

bitter

The article I posted last night from Liverpool Kop referred that negotiations with Saints were still dealing with finer details. ( "but the Reds are still negotiating the finer details with Southampton")

Might that insinuate that someone from Liverpool coming in our direction?

Turns out it was Sammy Lee.

Why the hatred towards Adam, he could have left us in Div 1, plenty of offers at the time. He stayed and the rest is history, good luck to him.

Right can we stop lying about this?!?!

Surman had offers, Dyer had offers, Bale, had offers, Walcott had offers, Baird had offers. And at that time they left!

Adam (add Morgan into the mix for any doubts) DID NOT have any offer. He WAS NOT one of the teams best performers despite his promise.

Can we get over this and accept that he is just as financially driven as any other footballer?

Right can we stop lying about this?!?!

Surman had offers, Dyer had offers, Bale, had offers, Walcott had offers, Baird had offers. And at that time they left!

Adam (add Morgan into the mix for any doubts) DID NOT have any offer. He WAS NOT one of the teams best performers despite his promise.

Can we get over this and accept that he is just as financially driven as any other footballer?

He could have gone to Fulham.

I think you are the one lying.

This diversion from the plan that NC and MP had, and it being a reason why players want to leave......how many of them have talked with the new manager? LS and AL seem to have wanted to go with indecent haste as soon as the final whistle went on 11th May (probably before but I'll give them credit for staying true to Saints until the end).

Bitter and very sad.........

You (and his agent) might be right but I must confess I'm struggling with the logic of him choosing us based on the fact 'we are/were going somewhere' over choosing another club were he could earn more money and which is already 'there'.

Personally, I would assume he felt more confident of a regular starting spot for us in the year before the World Cup started and that's what swung it for us. Now that has worked out for him he's using the 'vision' against us and wants away so he can earn more corn. I think he also safer in the knowledge he'll get a regular starting spot for a bigger club than us now too.

Great post! Basically we've been used as a stepping stone by someone who could not give a monkeys about us, our vision, NC or ML. Sad but true.

cant believe some of the hatred towards adam on here.

he stayed as we dropped down and helped bring us back up

its sad hes going but any of us would move if we were offered the same opportunity

I for one hope he does ok up there except when they play us

Quite agree - well said.

cant believe some of the hatred towards adam on here.

he stayed as we dropped down and helped bring us back up

its sad hes going but any of us would move if we were offered the same opportunity

I for one hope he does ok up there except when they play us

if he does well others may follow, if he crashes and burns it may, only may ,make others think twice. We have done well to sell him for such a big fee. Although the indecent time it is taking makes me wonder if we will get him back boooo

Absolutely right! A plague on all their households. Why single out Lambert 'though he's just as much a treacherous b'stard as the rest of them. Sod the fans who stuck with them in League 1 and the NPC.

if he does well others may follow, if he crashes and burns it may, only may ,make others think twice. We have done well to sell him for such a big fee. Although the indecent time it is taking makes me wonder if we will get him back boooo

when do team ever put their best players in the reserves for any period of time?

nope, cant think of one

im sure its being announced tomorrow that he's a Liverpool player

I think though where your conjecture is misplaced is where you say thatKL carried on signing the cheques after ML died. This is just plain wrong. After ML died the Club was in the hands of the Trustees of the ML Estate. KL had no real control, indeed she may not have had any involvement, I don't know whether she was or was not a trustee. I believe NC was a trustee, but there were no doubt others. Until the Probate process was completed, which I think happened during the first half of 2013, KL did not own the Club. It was only after she took control that it started to become clear to NC that things would be somewhat different under her watch, and that her ambitions, while still positive and reasonable did not match the ambitions of NC and ML to push us on to the level where European football was at least achievable. I'm reasonably content with my view based on all that has happened that NC believed he could either persuade KL to up her investment or if not he had a buyer in the wings ready to do so. What went wrong was that KL refused to sell. The result is where we are today with coach and players feeling let down and bailing out. KL may still be a decent owner and still invest a reasonable amount in the Club, but it will only be to have the ambition of being a mid-table PL team. And this is threatened currently because the Board are having to cope with an unexpected hiatus where the team is being decimated by want away players. We had a ridiculously small squad already and now we will have to bring in 8 or 9 players to even maintain what we had (if all the stories come to fruition). 2014/15 is going to be a bumpy ride, no-one can bring in that many players in one go without a hitch, hopefully we can at least survive next season and then RK can start to see the improvements the following season.

I agree with this as the most possible scenario 100% which is why I would like the board to be honest rather than trying to explain away what has been happening since NC departure as just part of a plan for further progress

I believe NC believed with more spend he could make the club even more valuable KL when she assumed control in 2013 disagreed the manager and the players then decided to jump ship as in their opinions the club no longer met their ambitions and or financial reward expectations. We are going back to being a well run provincial at best mid table club and the board should not try to cover this up by pretending they can hold on to disillusioned manager and players or that this is all part of some great plan to kick on above 8th. Also the players and manager are totally entitled to move on once they realised the ambition of the club and their opportunities of achieving success here were greatly reduced.

It is of course always possible that we can exceed 8th and I for one will hope we do as all supporters will however probability wise it was far more likely we would progress by adding to our team than by replacing it given the risks of the quality of what we buy added to the commitment and team spirit that needs replacing as well as the proximity of the new season and the level of change that will take place.

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

I think though where your conjecture is misplaced is where you say thatKL carried on signing the cheques after ML died. This is just plain wrong. After ML died the Club was in the hands of the Trustees of the ML Estate. KL had no real control, indeed she may not have had any involvement, I don't know whether she was or was not a trustee. I believe NC was a trustee, but there were no doubt others. Until the Probate process was completed, which I think happened during the first half of 2013, KL did not own the Club.

Are you suggesting probate took three years to complete?

Good assessments. I think Katharine didn't understand (football is not like any other business) the huge rewards that would come from NC investments. £86million for 8th place and players worth tens of millions is a colossal return for her father's investment. She just thought NC was spending a lot, i would be thrilled with an investment that quadrupled in five years (or something like that). Most of us are lucky to get 5%

Are you suggesting probate took three years to complete?

No, about 2.5. Apparently that's quite quick for Switzerland. It can be very complex even for private individuals, imagine the difficulties for a multi-billionaire. It really depends onwhether there was a will or not. Swiss inheritance law is very different to UK (or most other countries for that matter)

Edited by VectisSaint

Didn't he have a spell out while that was treated and rectified?

Yes, but as with Asa Hartford (who recovered from a hole in the heart but failed to secure a transfer to Leeds), it's still on his medical record. The question is, can Liverpool get adequate insurance on the basis of it. It was not a problem coming through our academy but suddenly he is valued at £25m+ and the insurance company will view that quite differently.

The only reason it is on hold is to allow Saints to complete a signing, probably Pelle, to sugar the pill of AL leaving.

It's sad that the dream had to end here but the decimation of the team isn't surprising. It's not as a result of one factor, rather a combination of many of those mentioned - not least our remarkable rise.

Best result for me is we persuade Lovren and Morgan on the basis of "one more year", allowing us to consolidate. As someone said, signing too many players is disruptive, just look at Norwich last season.

Worrying times.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_276 using Tapatalk