Public Statements: Reed or Krueger?

Saint Charlie

Actually think that Reed has expanded his power significantly under the new regime, so not sure what more you're expecting. We never heard from him before. Ironic people are looking to him as a solution after all the ridicule he's got on the mongboard. I guess this vacuum is also part the consequence of not recruiting a more established CEO as opposed to just a bean counter.

Edited by shurlock

I posted something similar on the Lallana thread. Reed's statement calmed things down for a couple of days at least but RK's comments yesterday - and I'm sure the bids were already in train - seem to have brought the interest in our players to the surface and encouraged the speculation further. The comment from the other new director about the financial figures wasn't very smart either. I think they might need another board member with a bit more experience of British football to give Reed some back-up.

Posted this on Lallana thread, but probably better off here:

1) Ralph came across well in his first couple of interviews, and is obviously engaging and likeable, but there is a striking lack of substance in anything he says. He talked about being recruited because of his experience in 'developing new models of leadership', but has yet to demonstrate anything remotely resembling leadership in his efforts to retain Poch. Although he mentioned that talks about extending his contract were evolving organically in his first interview, since then, the talk has shifted to Les Reed being in charge of contract negotiations and sitting down at the end of the season to discuss. Poch, in the meantime, has been worryingly off-message, telling the press that nothing has been discussed with him regards a new contract. What is going on and who is in charge?

2) What is his long-term plan? Is he a careerist looking to add an impressive bullet-point to his CV, or is he genuinely interested in establishing himself as a football chairman and overseeing a period of success? He has said that he will be here next season but beyond that he does not know whether he will return to hockey. Perhaps he is saying that to appease hockey fans over in Canada, but it is the type of statement that is hardly going to suggest to Poch that we have a long-term 'project' in place that he is committed to seeing through. Given the close bond between Poch and NC - Poch actually blubbed when Nicola left - this new transient dynamic doesn't inspire confidence.

3) RK spoke yesterday of 'Les having a plan' - nothing about the plan or the ambitions of the club in general. This seems like a worrying devolution of responsibility to me. Surely he and KL should be intimately connected with whatever decision is being made about players coming and going? Yes, it's great to call upon Reed's expertise but surely the whole club should be being mobilized to support a more positive and assertive message, and not the pathetically passive admission that we will be talking to clubs about selling players from 8am Monday morning. When he spoke about LR having a list of targets this came across as almost an afterthought. We were then told that we should be excited about the upcoming transfer window. Good luck with that.

4) Given the amount of speculation that has been unleashed on the back of the release of the financial results, and Hans Hofstetter's admission that the board have inherited a 'difficult financial situation', is there a risk that the new onus on openness and communication is actually proving rather counter-productive? There is a fine line between being honest with fans and serving the best interests of the club. While I appreciate that the finances might dictate a tightening of the belts off the pitch, there is a way to voice that without willingly summoning the circling vultures. In trying to distance themselves from the reign of Nicola, I wonder whether they have either grossly underestimated the speculative forces of the British football media and Cortese's pettiness, or were just actively seeking the cash all along.

I think the only statement that needs to be released is "We are not going to be selling any players before the World Cup". That's it. Mainly as I'd like to see Luke Shaw - Southampton and Adam Lallana - Southampton in the line ups.

The thing is that the environment Krueger comes from, hockey in general and especially NHL, they meet media practically every day. After every training session they meet the media, they do it before every game and after every game since they have rules that the media is allowed into the dressing room 10 minutes after the game is over + all press conferences they have.

They are very professional about it and media trained but it´s an environment that uses clichées on a daily basis..

I think the only statement that needs to be released is "We are not going to be selling any players before the World Cup". That's it. Mainly as I'd like to see Luke Shaw - Southampton and Adam Lallana - Southampton in the line ups.

I don't think the transfer window is actually open yet, deals can be agreed of course but whether they can be ratified by the FA just yet is doubtful.

Krueger seems to spout a lot of cr4p.

It does come across like that to me at the moment. A lot of Americanised, motivational speak without actually saying much of substance. Until I see positive action being taken, then all the nice speeches are meaningless.

I think what we have here is damned if you do...damned if you don't. Don't get so worked up about it. He's filling an information void with a few platitudes to calm the "melt-down theorists" but because some here are "melt-down theorists" it will never work for them.

Indeed - some didn't like the silence under Cortese, even when there was nothing to say. Some don't like Kruegar's more regular comments, and while admittedly there might be nothing to say, it's obvious why he is saying it, to counter speculation etc. He may need to learn a little about the Premier League and how the media over here works, but there will always be someone critical of what he does or doesn't say.

Personally I think the openness is good and the underlying honesty about our finances and the fact we do have to be careful is the right approach. It might not go down well with those who thought we would continue to spend and climb the league but while that is still possible, it will be a gradual thing, on the back of some consolidation IMO. Above all else, I want us to remain a sustainable, well run club competing as well as we can in the Premier League, and never ever want to contemplate any kind of 'Pompey'-style decline.

I think what we have here is damned if you do...damned if you don't. Don't get so worked up about it. He's filling an information void with a few platitudes to calm the "melt-down theorists" but because some here are "melt-down theorists" it will never work for them.

The problem is it's not normal to say, basically he's inviting offers. I quite like his openess and comes across as a decent bloke, but he's asking for trouble if he's selling our best players. Relegation doesn't happen by accident, and selling our best players is the first step in that direction.

Don't get me wrong, I'm willing to wait and see, and no I don't expect us to push for champions league, however I also don't expect us to rollover and have our bellies tickled by other clubs.

I don't think there's any need for some of these comments about Krueger - he's a very good guy and he'll do good things for the club.

However, the club is currently coming across to other clubs as weak and indecisive, and that's why they are circling over our players - the latest being Spurs supposedly taking a crack at Rodriguez.

We don't need a return to Cortese's antagonistic style but we could sure do with a strong statement that we are not willing to sell our best players, and that any approaches will be summarily rejected.

For me, given the lack of consistency in the Red/Krueger messaging, that statement now needs to come from Katharina herself - and soon. It would do a lot to clarify the situation and calm frayed nerves.

But the most effective statement wouldn't be verbal - it would be tying up Pochettino. If and when that happens, everything changes.

Well put. I listened to RKs interview live yesterday and again today just to see what I missed. Something must be generating some of this negativity after all.......but there really was nothing to get worked up about - unless you happen to dislike the accent or N.American/Canadian sports terminology he uses. Let's just see how he pans out (with the rest of the board) by the time the start of the season is upon us.

Indeed - some didn't like the silence under Cortese, even when there was nothing to say. Some don't like Kruegar's more regular comments, and while admittedly there might be nothing to say, it's obvious why he is saying it, to counter speculation etc. He may need to learn a little about the Premier League and how the media over here works, but there will always be someone critical of what he does or doesn't say.

Personally I think the openness is good and the underlying honesty about our finances and the fact we do have to be careful is the right approach. It might not go down well with those who thought we would continue to spend and climb the league but while that is still possible, it will be a gradual thing, on the back of some consolidation IMO. Above all else, I want us to remain a sustainable, well run club competing as well as we can in the Premier League, and never ever want to contemplate any kind of 'Pompey'-style decline.

Funny thing is.....When Ralph's words came out of Lowe's mouth....Most peeps including you towards the end, were wanting to hang him from the Itchen Bridge......You couldn't make it up

... but if the right offer comes along after the World Cup, then of course we will listen .... and most likely sell .

Simples

... but if the right offer comes along after the World Cup, then of course we will listen .... and most likely sell .

Simples

In fact if we're really going to sell we'd be as wise to do it before the WC on a cash only, no refunds basis. A crappy WC from England would lead to public lynching of all and sundry and a fall in values. I don't much like the look of the England squad, far too much inexperience and fear that you will not do well.

I don't think the transfer window is actually open yet, deals can be agreed of course but whether they can be ratified by the FA just yet is doubtful.

I thought you sign anyone anytime you wanted, you just couldn't play them. I may be wrong though.

I thought you sign anyone anytime you wanted, you just couldn't play them. I may be wrong though.

Transfer window in the UK opens on the 9th June. Obviously players can move becaue there are no official games to be played by clubs but to be registered as a XXX player you have to wait for the 9th June.............. This is important in fact because of the FIFA handouts to players' clubs for WC presence. There's a pre-WC period which is counted as well so I really don't know how they'd handle a transfer on the eve of the WC. I expect you could look it up on the FIFA WC site though.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Funny thing is.....When Ralph's words came out of Lowe's mouth....Most peeps including you towards the end, were wanting to hang him from the Itchen Bridge......You couldn't make it up

Not including me at all. I've never said anything of the sort about anyone at Southampton, so you can take that back.

I personally felt that by the end of his reign, Lowe's ACTIONS had led me to think it was for the best if he were to leave, but that was based on a heck of a lot more than just words about finances - if anything, it was my feelings about the financial situation at that time that led me to give him MORE time than most.

He does nothing but invite speculation. I think he's out if his depth personally.

Meanwhile in the real world players move to better clubs like Clyne and Jrod have done in the last couple of years

Meanwhile in the real world players move to better clubs like Clyne and Jrod have done in the last couple of years

So you think we should be selling before the World Cup then when their values could otherwise increase? And that's the real world?

He does nothing but invite speculation. I think he's out if his depth personally.

There was speculation before he said anything too. It changes nothing. And quite how anyone can judge someone to be out of their depth based on the few public encounters he's had, is beyond me. If indeed *any* of us are fit to judge someone in that position at all.

There was speculation before he said anything too. It changes nothing. And quite how anyone can judge someone to be out of their depth based on the few public encounters he's had, is beyond me. If indeed *any* of us are fit to judge someone in that position at all.

Everyone judges and everyone is judged. Doesn 't matter who you are, Ralph is no different to anyone else. Just my initial opinion which could change.

Transfer window in the UK opens on the 9th June. Obviously players can move becaue there are no official games to be played by clubs but to be registered as a XXX player you have to wait for the 9th June.............. This is important in fact because of the FIFA handouts to players' clubs for WC presence. There's a pre-WC period which is counted as well so I really don't know how they'd handle a transfer on the eve of the WC. I expect you could look it up on the FIFA WC site though.

According to this: http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/fans/faqs/when-does-transfer-window-open-close.html the window has been open since midnight yesterday.

Frankly speaking, it would be nice to hear something from someone. I don't really care whether it is Reed or Krueger. We may not be very important in the scheme of things, but having spent the best part of £1500 on renewing a pair of season tickets, it would be nice as a customer to know what I have spent my money on.

Frankly speaking, it would be nice to hear something from someone. I don't really care whether it is Reed or Krueger. We may not be very important in the scheme of things, but having spent the best part of £1500 on renewing a pair of season tickets, it would be nice as a customer to know what I have spent my money on.

I believe Reed DID give a statement very recently. If they stick to their word, we have nothing to worry about...

Ralph has just been on German TV as he is in Minsk watching the Russia v Germany Ice Hockey match. So he is not in UK sorting contracts out, tonight anyway!!

They were asking him during the 2/3 interval about Southampton and of course the hockey. Couldn't understand a word of what he was saying but the words Saints, Southampton were used a number of times and the word London was used once, I guess the the UK newpaper hacks (and SWF members!!) could make up a number of storys from those few words.

As usual was full of enthusiasm.

Ralph has just been on German TV as he is in Minsk watching the Russia v Germany Ice Hockey match. So he is not in UK sorting contracts out, tonight anyway!!

They were asking him during the 2/3 interval about Southampton and of course the hockey. Couldn't understand a word of what he was saying but the words Saints, Southampton were used a number of times and the word London was used once, I guess the the UK newpaper hacks (and SWF members!!) could make up a number of storys from those few words.

As usual was full of enthusiasm.

Just realised that his son Justin Krueger is playing for Germany tonight.

"I am responsible for transfers, I’m responsible for contract negotiations and all of those board level football matters that the club is involved in."

- Les Reed 25th April 2014

"I am responsible for transfers, I’m responsible for contract negotiations and all of those board level football matters that the club is involved in."

- Les Reed 25th April 2014

Forget players contracts, you seriously think Kruger is not involved in MP's contract, a strategic matter for the club :facepalm:

MLG labouring with the literal since 2006.