The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

Think Koeman is a cert, just wish they would stop fannying around!

Gotta disagree with you mate.

What we do NOT need right now is a NAME for the sake of being a NAME. (eg Moyes). What we need is someone who will understand the playing style, the Bielsa backbone of that and develop it and our players further.

We have kids from age 8 playing a certain type of football and the new appointment cannot rip that up. A name like Pulis, organised and with a hoofball track record, a name like Fat Sam.... We know they would not adapt to our style. The BOARD have to sit with 5 or 6 people and make sure that THEY have ideas.

Our new manager is SOD ALL to do with "What they have done in the past" that has simply got them to an Interview. What WE should be worrying about is What they will do in the FUTURE.

I believe Koeman will fit as would McLaren or anyone else who has coached this type of style. But Moyes with his Wingers and hollywood passes showed he would not be a fit.

It is not ONLY the name, they MUST play the right way

It's 4th June and that article is the 30th May. Murat Yakin has still to sign with Spartak and is currently in Basel doing some Media work with 20 Minutes. He's still my favorite for the job.

Elsewhere it was reported David Moyes flew into Miami yesterday. Does this rule him out or is he there to talk to Lallana and Shaw?

Gotta disagree with you mate.

What we do NOT need right now is a NAME for the sake of being a NAME. (eg Moyes). What we need is someone who will understand the playing style, the Bielsa backbone of that and develop it and our players further.

We have kids from age 8 playing a certain type of football and the new appointment cannot rip that up. A name like Pulis, organised and with a hoofball track record, a name like Fat Sam.... We know they would not adapt to our style. The BOARD have to sit with 5 or 6 people and make sure that THEY have ideas.

Our new manager is SOD ALL to do with "What they have done in the past" that has simply got them to an Interview. What WE should be worrying about is What they will do in the FUTURE.

I believe Koeman will fit as would McLaren or anyone else who has coached this type of style. But Moyes with his Wingers and hollywood passes showed he would not be a fit.

It is not ONLY the name, they MUST play the right way

Ah no, when you hire a manger in football you hire his philosophy of the game and the style that made him a suitable candidate in the first place, you do not imposed your way of thinking upon him. That will invariably end in tears, as it has done at Spurs,Chelsea, Barcelona etc in the not too recent past.

Ah no, when you hire a manger in football you hire his philosophy of the game and the style that made him a suitable candidate in the first place, you do not imposed your way of thinking upon him. That will invariably end in tears, as it has done at Spurs,Chelsea, Barcelona etc in the not too recent past.

So we hire one that plays the way we do.

Surely, that is why it is important to get someone that fits with what you have going at the club already?

A good example is Swansea, I think. They've had a great 10 years, and it has been helped by trying to appoint managers with a similar outlook, to minimise transition periods between managers.

If its not Koeman it must be because hes working out if he will be the next dutch national coach.

I would be happy with him, but have changed my mind on Moyes. Some people have made some really good arguments about "style of play" from our under 8's upwards. If first team start playing different that is a problem and so despite Moyes and others excellent records its either their way ~ which undermines everything else, or we change our philosophy. I don't want us to change our playing style and philosophy.

I'd be delighted with Ralf Rangnick actually.He is the next off the young pressing attacking style managers conveyor belt, with a way better record than Mopo ever had. Check his record out for those unfamiliar with the name. He also speaks perfect english. Studied astrophysics here in UK. He is German so communicating with the Board is no problem. He's perfect. And available (apparently).

Edited by Giordano

My original question reference Yakin was rhetorical......he backed out of the move to Spartak Moscow at the last moment. I think he's still in the frame.

And he would take the job straight away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If correct, good news

The Telegraph this morning saying that we have spoken to Koeman and will be speaking to others before an announcement at the end of next week,but no more names mentioned.

I wonder who else we are interveiwing - no leaks - strange .

Not according to Rafa Benitez: 'What you first need to establish when you go to a new club are the aims of the club and the resources available to achieve them.'

http://www.rafabenitez.com/web/in/blog/football-clubs-structure-rafa-benitezs-view/57/

If its not Koeman it must be because hes working out if he will be the next dutch national coach.

I would be happy with him, but have changed my mind on Moyes. Some people have made some really good arguments about "style of play" from our under 8's upwards. If first team start playing different that is a problem and so despite Moyes and others excellent records its either their way ~ which undermines everything else, or we change our philosophy. I dont want us to change our playing style.

I'd be delighted with Ralf Rangnick actually.He is the next off the young pressing attacking style managers off conveyor belt, with a way better record than Mopo ever had. Check his record out for those unfamiliar with the name.

I am convinced that Hidinck has already been appointed as head coach of the dutch national side after the WC, sure that the dutch FA announced it back in March.

Not according to Rafa Benitez: 'What you first need to establish when you go to a new club are the aims of the club and the resources available to achieve them.'

http://www.rafabenitez.com/web/in/blog/football-clubs-structure-rafa-benitezs-view/57/

But not the method to achieve them. We have aims, we obviously have a budget but after that the method is not the resort of the board.

I'd be delighted with Ralf Rangnick actually.He is the next off the young pressing attacking style managers conveyor belt, with a way better record than Mopo ever had. Check his record out for those unfamiliar with the name. He also speaks perfect english. Studied astrophysics here in UK. He is German so communicating with the Board is no problem. He's perfect. And available (apparently).

Not saying I don't want him as manager, but he's 55, so hardly 'next off the young pressing attacking style mangers conveyor belt'

Surely, that is why it is important to get someone that fits with what you have going at the club already?

A good example is Swansea, I think. They've had a great 10 years, and it has been helped by trying to appoint managers with a similar outlook, to minimise transition periods between managers.

Agree completely, very important part of the targetting has to be identifying managers who's approach fits the passing approach we favour as well as someone who has faith in youth.

rafa's back in the uk at the moment. shouldn't somebody ask him to pop down south for an interview? just a formality, like.

First new article for several days in the Turkey press today Yakin was in Moscow for talks and he listened to what they had to offer. However he has no made any decision on the contract of 2 years + 1.

It sounds that he is very much available and it will be for the Board to offer him a deal he can't. I really like the way his teams play, he's young like our previous managers, and he's been successful two years running in the Champions League. He ticks all the right boxes for being our new manager. His lack of English might be something to put off any offer.

June 4, 2014 - 12:56 | Last Updated: 04/06/2014 - 12:59 " According to reports in the Russian press, Close, Spartak Moscow for talks with Russia's capital, Moscow said that. Yakin speaking to the press, "I'm in Moscow. But first to what they were going to offer I am listening. I'll give you my decision then. Have not yet taken any decision. " He said.

Turkish media reports earlier in the No 2 +1 year contract with Spartak Moscow had been claimed. Russian Vedomosti newspaper, the 39-year-old coach of Spartak Moscow agree with the way that the official confirmation yet that draws attention.

According to the newspaper's claim, Spartak Moscow talks between owners and managers about Murat No consensus could be achieved. Russian Dmitri Zelyonov sports commentator, Near the "bilmecel and versatile a coach," it is, but not yet 40 years of age draws attention to filling.

The official Rossiyskaya Gazeta newspaper, Spartak Moscow president Leonid Fedun has claimed that supported the candidacy of the near. Spartak Moscow by former captain Yegor Titov, Turkish-born coach the Russian team can gain new experiences.

http://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&tl=en&u=http://www.milliyet.com.tr/murat-yakin-spartak-moskova-yi---1892473-skorerhaber/

I would be happy with him, but have changed my mind on Moyes. Some people have made some really good arguments about "style of play" from our under 8's upwards. If first team start playing different that is a problem and so despite Moyes and others excellent records its either their way ~ which undermines everything else, or we change our philosophy. I don't want us to change our playing style and philosophy.

http://www.wearewearside.com/post/2013/10/06/Who-Is-Ralf-Rangnick.aspx

Magath now second favourite with Skybet. Let's ****ing hope he's not under consideration!!

Why not, what makes him so much worse than Koeman ..honestly what do people know about either of them really. The fact that we're still interviewing other candidates(if we indeed are) tends to suggest to me that Koeman didn't ring all the bells when interviewed by those responsible for appointing a new manager.

Jos talking about Koeman - If you can understand it!

http://www.soccernews.nl/news/255481/Nederlander_flirt_met_Koeman:_Hij_zou_passen_bij_Southampton

The interest from Southampton in Ronald Koeman seems to be . More seriously Jos Hooiveld hopes his club strikes and the trainer to the Premier League has , as he says in interview with Voetbal International .

"At Southampton we have a half years ago to take a new road, the gameplay even more sophisticated. As a relatively small club in the Premier League we try well cared for football forward, putting pressure. Koeman would struggle to adapt ," says the 31 -year-old defender . " During my holiday in Ibiza , I spoke to a number of Feyenoord , Reuben Chess, Samuel Armenteros and they all raved about him. "

Hayfield , which came under Mauricio Pochettino from grace , hopes the arrival of a new manager also new opportunities . " The departure of the coach and the arrival of a new coach , the cards are reshuffled . Perhaps there is still a competitor in Southampton leaves . Because , according to the British newspaper we go this summer a lot of players lose . If you believe everything what they write , should we be happy if we are still left with eleven . "

Why not, what makes him (Magath) so much worse than Koeman ..honestly what do people know about either of them really. The fact that we're still interviewing other candidates(if we indeed are) tends to suggest to me that Koeman didn't ring all the bells when interviewed by those responsible for appointing a new manager.

Despite a decent record in Germany he is almost universally despised there:

http://gu.com/p/3bx7v/tw

I refer you Window Cleaner to post 2393 as above - sound like someone you want at Saints? No thank you!!

??? I don't get it.

He's old, got health problems, has not managed any club of note and hasn't managed anyone in .5 years.

What is ther to lik?

he took a team from third tier all the way to top division! Not many managers could say that! If we ever had a manager with that sort of record I would be so pumped.

I still think we shouldn't overlook moyes:

• Comfortably kept a poor Man Utd team clear of relegation last season
  • Proven experience of selling young players
  • Kept everton up season after season despite only having 6th highest wage bill
  • Punched a man utd fan
  • Sued wayne rooney
  • Got preston into League 1 play-offs
  • Comes from a v.cool sounding town in scotland, it is called "Bears Den"

Why not, what makes him so much worse than Koeman ..honestly what do people know about either of them really. The fact that we're still interviewing other candidates(if we indeed are) tends to suggest to me that Koeman didn't ring all the bells when interviewed by those responsible for appointing a new manager.

Maybe Koeman is our man and we are not really looking at anybody else and we are just being strategic in delaying the announcement for a week.

??? I don't get it.

He's old, got health problems, has not managed any club of note and hasn't managed anyone in .5 years.

What is ther to lik?

?? Schalke, Stuttgart and Hanover are all bigger than Saints. He was knackered, took time out (like many managers do) and now hes back on the market.

Pfffffff it's only press reporting, I'll wait and see but I'm not at all keen on Koeman.

i went to trouble & inconvenience of looking up to see if teams did better before & after he left. I figure this would be like handicap scoring for Big Fish Small Pond syndrome.

I did Ajax first. In the season before he joined they got 61 pts. In his 4 seasons they got like 75-80 pts. The season after he'd gone they got 61 pts. I ain't looked at any others yet tho.

i went to trouble & inconvenience of looking up to see if teams did better before & after he left. I figure this would be like handicap scoring for Big Fish Small Pond syndrome.

I did Ajax first. In the season before he joined they got 61 pts. In his 4 seasons they got like 75-80 pts. The season after he'd gone they got 61 pts. I ain't looked at any others yet tho.

It's Dutch football, has no standing in my opinion. I can only judge him on his performances at Benfica and Valence and they don't seem very good.

Last time I got excited about an appointment it was George Burley, and well that ended well.. However id feel very underwhelmed at most of these names being spouted. Koeman? Really..

Being underwhelmed at new manager appointments is par for the course here, whenever was it any different?

Have you forgotten that even quite recently, Adkins? Pochettino?... who had ever heard of them except the real anoraks.

By my reckoning we have done rather well with underwhelming characters.

?? Schalke, Stuttgart and Hanover are all bigger than Saints. He was knackered, took time out (like many managers do) and now hes back on the market.

???

Bigger grounds maybe, but Stuttgart [finished 15th out of 18] and Hanover [finished 10th out of 18] don't look like much to me.

Do you think Bundesliga is a harder league than the Premier League.....or easier?

Very nearly got Everton job instead of Martinez last year.

Another good article here

http://www.bundesliga.com/en/liga/news/2012/0000236276.php

Rangnick has sort of crept up on the blindside a bit here, but is a candidate worthy of consideration. Schalke are the 3rd biggest team in Germany and he took them to the CL Semi's and won them a cup, and his contribution at Hoffenheim to get them promoted was commendable.

During his time at Schalke, I remember them as a very fast and aggressive attacking force who scored a lot of goals, but quite shoddy at the back. So perhaps his attacking ethos would fit well into the club albeit not his defensive one !!

Being underwhelmed at new manager appointments is par for the course here, whenever was it any different?

Have you forgotten that even quite recently, Adkins? Pochettino?... who had ever heard of them except the real anoraks.

By my reckoning we have done rather well with underwhelming characters.

except for gray, sturrock and wigley.

and Gorman and Dodd, don't forget them.

Anyway anyone who knows even a bit about football on a global basis would know that Pochettino was a major signing.

Great player, respected everywhere that he went and had a promising start at Espanyol until they started selling everything that wasn't nailed down.

We will regret his loss.

Given the fact that we employed Gray, Wigley and Sturrock as manager when in the PL and Pochettino got the boot from Espanyol with them at the bottom of the table, I'm mystified how people can say CL managers Koeman or Rangnick aren't good enough

Edited by buctootim