The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

Joe Batchelor@Joe_Batchelor 6m

Just had a very interesting chat with Marian Pahars. He would love nothing more than to return 'home' to #saintsfc

Joe Batchelor@Joe_Batchelor 4m

Pahars has been told by Saints board he doesn't have enough experience to be the new boss yet. He would consider an assistant role though!

Joe Batchelor@Joe_Batchelor 2m

What do #saintsfc fans think of a Koeman/Pahars 1-2?

anyone who knows even a bit about football on a global basis would know that Pochettino was a major signing.

Great player, respected everywhere that he went and had a promising start at Espanyol until they started selling everything that wasn't nailed down.

We will regret his loss.

Thats wistful rubbish sorry. Pochettino was jobless for three months after putting Espanyol in to freefall, no-one else wanted him. Its a myth about selling, they bought in as much as they sold. Pochettino's succesor took them back up to midtable within a couple of months.

He turned out fine for us, but lets not pretend we signed the prodigal son.

It's Dutch football, has no standing in my opinion. I can only judge him on his performances at Benfica and Valence and they don't seem very good.

I think we get the picture old chap so no need to bang on and on. Time to change the record. Dutch football is pretty good to watch in my book and Holland always do better than us in European & World Cups

Joe Batchelor@Joe_Batchelor 6m

Just had a very interesting chat with Marian Pahars. He would love nothing more than to return 'home' to #saintsfc

Joe Batchelor@Joe_Batchelor 4m

Pahars has been told by Saints board he doesn't have enough experience to be the new boss yet. He would consider an assistant role though!

Joe Batchelor@Joe_Batchelor 2m

What do #saintsfc fans think of a Koeman/Pahars 1-2?

I would imagine whoever we appoint as No1 will bring his own No2.

Keep gaining experience, Marian, your time will come.

Jos talking about Koeman - If you can understand it!

http://www.soccernews.nl/news/255481/Nederlander_flirt_met_Koeman:_Hij_zou_passen_bij_Southampton

The interest from Southampton in Ronald Koeman seems to be . More seriously Jos Hooiveld hopes his club strikes and the trainer to the Premier League has , as he says in interview with Voetbal International .

"At Southampton we have a half years ago to take a new road, the gameplay even more sophisticated. As a relatively small club in the Premier League we try well cared for football forward, putting pressure. Koeman would struggle to adapt ," says the 31 -year-old defender . " During my holiday in Ibiza , I spoke to a number of Feyenoord , Reuben Chess, Samuel Armenteros and they all raved about him. "

Hayfield , which came under Mauricio Pochettino from grace , hopes the arrival of a new manager also new opportunities . " The departure of the coach and the arrival of a new coach , the cards are reshuffled . Perhaps there is still a competitor in Southampton leaves . Because , according to the British newspaper we go this summer a lot of players lose . If you believe everything what they write , should we be happy if we are still left with eleven . "

The fuk? I've highlights the bit I didn't understand from Jos Hayfield. Does he rate him or not?

I would imagine whoever we appoint as No1 will bring his own No2.

Keep gaining experience, Marian, your time will come.

Must be a coaching role somewhere, even no 2 for the reserves, for someone who was a top player, has some reasonable managerial experience and loves this club more than most.

Why not, what makes him so much worse than Koeman ..honestly what do people know about either of them really. The fact that we're still interviewing other candidates(if we indeed are) tends to suggest to me that Koeman didn't ring all the bells when interviewed by those responsible for appointing a new manager.

Now beginning to believe it wont be Koeman not entirely because of your comments but I would have thought he would have been appointed by now.

Seen a comment somewhere that SFC wanted some PL experience but neither of our last two managers had it so maybe a red herring

Cue Koeman being appointed

Isn't there a vacancy left by Dodd to fill?

doubt if it would interest pahars though, bit of a step down for him actually. National team manager to U18 coach at

Saints isn't really a career progression. If he wants to get on he really has to get some decent club management experience first.

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread, but Franny Benali on Twitter has some exciting news to announce in the next few weeks! doesnt specify if football related.

Perhaps Benali + MLT are to replace Dodds and Williams? ;)

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread, but Franny Benali on Twitter has some exciting news to announce in the next few weeks! doesnt specify if football related.

Coming out of retirement? He is our new kit manufacturer? Him and Cortese starting property renovation company together? I'm very excited

he took a team from third tier all the way to top division! Not many managers could say that! If we ever had a manager with that sort of record I would be so pumped.

I still think we shouldn't overlook moyes:

• Comfortably kept a poor Man Utd team clear of relegation last season
  • Proven experience of selling young players
  • Kept everton up season after season despite only having 6th highest wage bill
  • Punched a man utd fan
  • Sued wayne rooney
  • Got preston into League 1 play-offs
  • Comes from a v.cool sounding town in scotland, it is called "Bears Den"

We had one that did similar and sacked him, in the form of Adkins! Football Manager stuff.

Oh, and you're forgetting the one, salient point about Moyes...

...has a ****gable daughter. :-)

Jos talking about Koeman - If you can understand it!

http://www.soccernews.nl/news/255481/Nederlander_flirt_met_Koeman:_Hij_zou_passen_bij_Southampton

The interest from Southampton in Ronald Koeman seems to be . More seriously Jos Hooiveld hopes his club strikes and the trainer to the Premier League has , as he says in interview with Voetbal International .

"At Southampton we have a half years ago to take a new road, the gameplay even more sophisticated. As a relatively small club in the Premier League we try well cared for football forward, putting pressure. Koeman would struggle to adapt ," says the 31 -year-old defender . " During my holiday in Ibiza , I spoke to a number of Feyenoord , Reuben Chess, Samuel Armenteros and they all raved about him. "

Hayfield , which came under Mauricio Pochettino from grace , hopes the arrival of a new manager also new opportunities . " The departure of the coach and the arrival of a new coach , the cards are reshuffled . Perhaps there is still a competitor in Southampton leaves . Because , according to the British newspaper we go this summer a lot of players lose . If you believe everything what they write , should we be happy if we are still left with eleven . "

Apologies for my spelling, in a bit of a rush, but will give the interview a quick translation,

The interest of Southampton in Ronald Koeman is becoming more serious (this sentence sounds so wrong). Jos Hooiveld hopes the club brings Koeman to the PL, he says in a interview with VI (dutch football magazine)

A year and half ago we changed our style of play, it has become smarter and more fluent. As a small club in the PL we try to play neat football and play a high line. Koeman would suit the club, the 31 year old defender says. During my holiday on Ibiza I spoke to feyenoord players Ruben Schaken and Samuel Armenteros, both spoke highly of him.

Hooiveld, who fell out of favour with MP, hopes the new manager will give him a new chance. With the departure of MP and a new manager coming in, everyone starts with a clean sheet. And maybe another player will leave, cos if you have to believe the English press, we are going to lose many more players. We would be lucky if we have 11 players at the start of the season.

Hope this makes sense now. In other words, nothing has really been said.

Dutch media do seem to think we are about to appoint Ronald Koeman, and that he will bring forward Graziano Pelle with him, for around 8 million pounds.

Apologies for my spelling, in a bit of a rush, but will give the interview a quick translation,

The interest of Southampton in Ronald Koeman is becoming more serious (this sentence sounds so wrong). Jos Hooiveld hopes the club brings Koeman to the PL, he says in a interview with VI (dutch football magazine)

A year and half ago we changed our style of play, it has become smarter and more fluent. As a small club in the PL we try to play neat football and play a high line. Koeman would suit the club, the 31 year old defender says. During my holiday on Ibiza I spoke to feyenoord players Ruben Schaken and Samuel Armenteros, both spoke highly of him.

Hooiveld, who fell out of favour with MP, hopes the new manager will give him a new chance. With the departure of MP and a new manager coming in, everyone starts with a clean sheet. And maybe another player will leave, cos if you have to believe the English press, we are going to lose many more players. We would be lucky if we have 11 players at the start of the season.

Dutch media do seem to think we are about to appoint Ronald Koeman, and that he will bring forward Graziano Pelle with him, for around 8 million pounds.

Many thanks Doc. Interesting.

He's doing a book signing of "All the Saints" on Saturday week at West Quay Waterstones, @11.30!!!!!

Must be a coaching role somewhere, even no 2 for the reserves, for someone who was a top player, has some reasonable managerial experience and loves this club more than most.

Would agree with that.... but would he be prepared to leave his job coaching the Latvia national side to come and coach our under 19s, or similar? If yes, then agree, bring him in.

He's doing a book signing of "All the Saints" on Saturday week at West Quay Waterstones, @11.30!!!!!

This is irrelevant to the subject of the thread.

Please don't advertise and spam the board in this way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let's hope not!

and Gorman and Dodd, don't forget them.

Anyway anyone who knows even a bit about football on a global basis would know that Pochettino was a major signing.

Great player, respected everywhere that he went and had a promising start at Espanyol until they started selling everything that wasn't nailed down.

We will regret his loss.

Pretty breathtaking revisionism, there.

Rangnick seems a lot better than Magath to me.

Seems like we're going for better candidates than the predicted Mackay sort of relegation fight appointment anyway. Maybe we're not asset stripping either. Whatever next

I'm impressed with what I've read about him. He seems just the sort of manager from left field that could do a job for us. I hadn't noticed though, is he in the frame?

That last sentence could be one of the reasons we were happy to let Lambert go.

Anyone know the story with magath? Im assuming hes been interviewed and has told someone? Koeman must be the leading candidate by far

Theres nothing semi reliable with his name in the frame but to get down to 4/1 there must have been a fair bit of money placed on him.

How strongly has he committed himself to staying there?

Whilst not as exciting as Koeman, Magath isnt a mug and has generally done pretty well at most teams he has managed.

Theres nothing semi reliable with his name in the frame but to get down to 4/1 there must have been a fair bit of money placed on him.

How strongly has he committed himself to staying there?

Whilst not as exciting as Koeman, Magath isnt a mug and has generally done pretty well at most teams he has managed.

Don't know for sure, or if he has altered his stance since they went down, but he did say before they were relegated he would stay on even if they went down. Seemed convincing at the time.

Sorry, not much help that really.

EDIT: found the beeb article I Saw it in http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26812097#top-link

Hes finally got the wine stain out of his carpet.