Only 17 clubs in world football have...

Matthew Le God

...more players in World Cup 2014 squads than Southampton...

1. Chelsea ( 18 )

2. Manchester United, Bayern Munich (16)

3. Napoli (14)

4. Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester City (13)

5. Juventus, Arsenal, Liverpool (12)

6. Atletico Madrid (11)

7. Porto, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Zenit (10)

8. Borussia Dortmund, Paris Saint-Germain ( 8 )

9. Southampton, Schalke, Roma (7)

Not 100% sure either Croatia or Uruguay have confirmed their final 23s yet either, tbf. The last I saw was that Uruguay had named 25 and Croatia 30.

...more players in World Cup 2014 squads than Southampton...

1. Chelsea ( 18 )

3. Napoli (14)

4. Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester City (13)

5. Juventus, Arsenal, Liverpool (12)

6. Atletico Madrid (11)

7. Porto, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Zenit (10)

8. Borussia Dortmund, Paris Saint-Germain ( 8 )

9. Southampton, Schalke, Roma (7)

Not bad, especially considering a significant percentage of our squad are too young to be considered for the senior squads anyway.....

Dembele, Lloris, Vertonghen, Paulinho, Chadli, Bentaleb, Assou-Ekotto?

Christ, Bentaleb at a World Cup?!

I'm not saying the lad hasn't got potential (he's what, 19?), but that's ridiculous.

Highlights how weak the "to be a great player you have to do it at a World Cup" argument is. Is he better than Giggs, who never got to play at an international tournament? Does that make Giggs any less of a player because he was Welsh?

Absolute nonsense.

Sorry for the tangent.

I'm not saying the lad hasn't got potential (he's what, 19?), but that's ridiculous.

Highlights how weak the "to be a great player you have to do it at a World Cup" argument is. Is he better than Giggs, who never got to play at an international tournament? Does that make Giggs any less of a player because he was Welsh?

Absolute nonsense.

Sorry for the tangent.

That is with Algeria mind.

Absolute nonsense.

Sorry for the tangent.

He plays for Algeria not Brazil though. Pretty sure there will be many far worse players than him that have been picked.

He plays for Algeria not Brazil though. Pretty sure there will be many far worse players than him that have been picked.

I'm not saying he's the worst. But, there are far better players that won't be going.

My point was, there are many, far better players that will never get to go to a World Cup, not through a lack of their own ability, but the fluke of where they were born. This should not affect how they are judged as a player, imo.

Absolute nonsense.

Sorry for the tangent.

I don't think anyone's suggesting you're great once you go to the World Cup. You have to 'do it' there, so the thought goes, which I assume means help your team to the final or win the trophy.

I certainly don't think anyone's comparing Nabil Bentaleb to Ryan Giggs. Or players like Lionel Messi, whom the 'do it at the World Cup' debate centres around.

Great statistic, did any of us ever imagine at the 2010 World Cup having just missed the playoffs in League 1 that we would have 1 let alone 7 players going to the next one? Shows the extent of the cinderella story really...

It's mainly put out there to demean great players, or those who are old enough to think international football is the pinnacle. As if it could be compared to teams training together every day and playing 50-60 matches a season together. Messi and ronaldo have absolutely nothing to prove.

Yeah I agree, though I do also think the World Cup is the pinnacle. Having one chance every four years and taking it - particularly if you do so more than once - is as good as it gets for me and I think most players would agree.

Why is it listed 1-9 instead of by position?

Here you go!

1. Chelsea ( 18 )

4. Napoli (14)

5. Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester City (13)

8. Juventus, Arsenal, Liverpool (12)

11. Atletico Madrid (11)

12. Porto, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Zenit (10)

16. Borussia Dortmund, Paris Saint-Germain ( 8 )

18. Southampton, Schalke, Roma (7)

A fantastic achievement especially, as others have said, considering four of the seven were with us during the last world cup when we were in league one!

As Duncan said, you've misunderstood the "do it at the World Cup argument".

It doesn't mean, get to a World Cup and you're a great player. It means, out of all the greatest players in the World, let's see who also produced magic on the World Cup stage. It's not about rating all of Algeria's or Costa Rica's squad higher than Ryan Giggs or Gareth Bale.