Season Review

Papa Shango

Good, fair analysis of the season - leaves us all fearing Pochettino going then players questioning the ambition of the club and following suit. If we can keep this squad together with two or three quality additions then we can conceivably go higher. The board has had a full week since the last game to decide if we're going to push on - this coming week should see some sort of announcement - let's hope it's a positive one.

pretty wordy, but a good analysis.

Personally I don't think anyone can really criticise the season considering where we finished, and the record points tally. The main reason we dipped so badly mid-season was the injury to Artur Boruc.

Prev.stats I published reminded us that in the (total) ten games that AB was out we won only 5 points (out of 30)....after that there was no way back to gaining a Euro place.

KD (great servant to the club btw) wasn't prepared for the Prem. and no way was Gazzaniga prepared for his role either. We should have bought a top keeper in 2012, (and IMO not even Butland was good enough - even though our £6 million bid was rejected.) That's not just hindsight as everyone one can see almost every Prem. side had an international goalie... and Arsenal, and Spuds had THREE.

Even after signing Boruc we should have got another top keeper (as cover) as clearly neither KD or PG were good enough.

Whilst some people will only recall Boruc's " dance routine " against Giroud (at Arsenal). and the wind-blown " fluke goal" at Stoke as low points in his season...aside from that he has been very consistant.

A lot will now depend on getting MP to stay. If he does we may see most (if not nearly all) of the squad stay on..if he goes, we're sure to lose some of the key names....especially as every new manager will want a few of his own pick of players, and any (potential) successor may not have the same enthusiasm about the Academy recruits, if results go badly.

Next season..?..I don't think that a top four place for Saints is an absolute requirement there are still some good sides out there, but an improvement on 8th should be expected. The "new-look" Man.U may take a season or two to settle in, and Mourinho will certainly find the missing links to his squad, as will Liverpool. The dry spell that Arsenal have seen in winning trophies may well be over, but the key question will be how long will Wenger stay on at Arsenal. He may be not about to leave, but does he see himself " doing a Ferguson " and staying till he's 75? - I doubt it, but Arsenal may well be looking for his successor - just in case.

I don't see any of the other (lower-placed) Prem. sides presenting a threat to the top six, but it's more a question of which of the seven above us may lose form and fall away, but MP is the key to our future. He must stay.

Edited by david in sweden

Signing new players (in certain positions) is a must this summer. We sadly lack strength in depth. We have 15-16 good players.. and then a list of also-rans.....and those who've hardly had an outing.

1- we really must get another quality keeper to cover / compete with Boruc (in case of injury / loss of form). KD and PG have failed twice when called upon.

2- a new left back..... doesn't mean that Shaw will definitely leave, but as Danny Fox was the only recognised cover at LB.... we don't even have him anymore.

3-Extra CB. Fonte and Lovren ended up a better combination than I thought (last August), but a serious injury to either leaves us with Jos and Yoshida (who always seems to be played out of position).

4- A striker. We (obviously) rule out Osvaldo, and don't expect Billy to stay. Jay Rod won't be back until game 7-8 next season (if fit and in form).....so we need extra goalscorers in first 8 games.

(yes, we have RL and Sam, but that's only the basic line-up.)

IMO...these are all obvious requirements and shouldn't be seen as pushing anyone out.