The sensible thread...

Unbelievable Jeff

PLEASE CAN I ASK THAT NO-ONE POST ON THIS WHO IS BADMOUTHING THE BOARD ETC. YOU ARE NOT WELCOME.

So, the rest of the board have lost their minds with the fact they can't accept that Pochettino would want to leave, that any players would want to leave, or that any other clubs would have the temerity to bid for our players.

Anyway, I wanted a sanctuary away from the madhouse of the mong board for reasoned discussion about the situation/any replacements that we feel would be good.

For me, IF Lambert is sold for a decent amount, the board should not stand in his way. He should get his dream move. We will replace him with someone new, and I also would not be surprised to see Osvaldo back, cap in hand next season.

As before, think it's just one of those things where you build a house of cards of talented players and if one goes, or the manager, all will be tempted. No idea what Cortese could have done differently and I don't want to see Saints in financial difficulty or failing to pay bills to try and progress.

Will judge the board on the appointment and money spent. I won't be surprised if there are sales, a poor appointment and we struggle, but that's just negativity. I have no idea of the inner workings or what their motivations or ambitions are.

I just find it irritating how much certain posters seem to absolutely relish this stuff. Didn't get even 5% the reaction for any positive over the past 5 years.

Even in the most pessimistic house of cards scenario, nobody ever saw Lambert as one of the casualties.

Will judge the board on the appointment and money spent. I won't be surprised if there are sales, a poor appointment and we struggle, but that's just negativity. I have no idea of the inner workings or what their motivations or ambitions are.

I just find it irritating how much certain posters seem to absolutely relish this stuff. Didn't get even 5% the reaction for any positive over the past 5 years.

This absolutely. The time to judge is at the end of the summer, but that requires some emotional maturity. Apologies if that offends anyone but it's true, and also underlines why most fans should not be anywhere near football club boards...

Pochettino wanted out whilst his stock was at his highest. Lambert would have left us at any given point had Liverpool come in for him. Shaw and Lallana both want to try their hand further up the league on undoubtedly bigger wages, whilst the kind of transfer fees that they will command probably have turned the board/the owners head.

None of this is really a huge surprise. I think the replacements will tell us all we need to know. If they install Yakin/Koeman/Laudrup as manager, there is still hope. Mackay/Garcia/Martin Ling, I think we'll know we're in trouble.

I'd still follow this club off a cliff, though. How people equate what is going on with whether they should get a season ticket or not I will never understand. I don't want to see fans taken for a ride but on an individual level, put yourself in KL/MP/LS/AL/SRL's shoes, would you act any differently?

Even in the most pessimistic house of cards scenario, nobody ever saw Lambert as one of the casualties.

I don't think it's a case of him being a casualty, this is his dream, he's been a superb servant for us, this way he gets his move and he doesn't have to hand in a transfer request and spoil his time with us.

I'm think the club is under some kind of PR attack. It's a constant stream of bad articles, worse than I remember it was even when we were relegated. This is on the back of our best finish in the premier league! Doesn't make any sense.

I'm think the club is under some kind of PR attack. It's a constant stream of bad articles, worse than I remember it was even when we were relegated. This is on the back of our best finish in the premier league! Doesn't make any sense.

Cortese.

Does that help ?

Cortese.

Does that help ?

Well it's certainly possible, isn't it?

But apparently, it's easier to blame the board and jump to purely negative conclusions about them and their intentions for some people...

But people on here were slating him as being slow, disinterested and past it last season. Next season he (IMO) would have become a bit-part player who we would have had to replace at the end of the year anyway. Given this, a reported 4M is bloody good business by the club. He has done so much for us but we have down so much for him too - if we had not taken him from Bristol Rovers I doubt he would have got anywhere near the England team.

People have to take the emotion out of situations like this - doing that means this would be seen as very good for Saints IF the board have plans in place for a replacement and reinvest all monies wisely. At the moment it is just a big IF. Time will tell but from a footballing perspective you can see the logic in it......if it is true.

Well it's certainly possible, isn't it?

But apparently, it's easier to blame the board and jump to purely negative conclusions about them and their intentions for some people...

Sorry, the board arent helping with their idiotic statements and apparent lack of action.

Anyway, you brought this back to the board. I hope Jeffie whinges at you and not me.

But people on here were slating him as being slow, disinterested and past it last season. Next season he (IMO) would have become a bit-part player who we would have had to replace at the end of the year anyway. Given this, a reported 4M is bloody good business by the club. He has done so much for us but we have down so much for him too - if we had not taken him from Bristol Rovers I doubt he would have got anywhere near the England team.

People have to take the emotion out of situations like this - doing that means this would be seen as very good for Saints IF the board have plans in place for a replacement and reinvest all monies wisely. At the moment it is just a big IF. Time will tell but from a footballing perspective you can see the logic in it......if it is true.

We've seen it with countless players, managers, chairman etc. One minute they're heroes, next they're villains... everything seems to be black or white, and so many seem to lack the emotional maturity to consider alternatives, or look at longer term outcomes. The funny thing is we dare to say the same about the Skates on the nutjob thread, and mock their hero to villain to hero status changes for players and managers, but look at us... 'Knee-jerk' doesn't even cover it, we need a new word or phrase to describe it.

If you believe it's Cortese, why do you also believe they are going to hold a fire sale?

The stories could be coming from Cortese. But I question KLs committment to the club. Even a committed badly-advised rank amateur wouldnt be making such a pigs ear of this. I believe it is planned, lets see if deals start being confirmed. As I have said elsewhere, a fire-sale / releasing of cash fits with her M.O., it seems...

Sorry, the board arent helping with their idiotic statements and apparent lack of action.

Anyway, you brought this back to the board. I hope Jeffie whinges at you and not me.

I'm sure Jeff will appreciate that I am at least trying to discuss it in a moderate manner.

'Apparent' is the operative word there. We don't know their long term intentions. The statement they made can only be judged on facts, and we don't have any yet. Plus, one player purchase or sale is not reasonable to judge a board on... only the sum of our activity should be judged objectively at the end of the summer, and indeed needs to be combined with the manager appointment and our relative progress or regressions as we go into next season.

I'm sure Jeff will appreciate that I am at least trying to discuss it in a moderate manner.

'Apparent' is the operative word there. We don't know their long term intentions. The statement they made can only be judged on facts, and we don't have any yet. Plus, one player purchase or sale is not reasonable to judge a board on... only the sum of our activity should be judged objectively at the end of the summer, and indeed needs to be combined with the manager appointment and our relative progress or regressions as we go into next season.

I completely agree, let's give them time. They are under intense pressure and scrutiny at the moment, not least by our own immature and impatient fans.

OK, a moderate response.

You are clutching 'em, Minty. Yes, you can resort to the "facts" argument, but if you cannot see the weight of momentum building behind a mass exodus and recongise that the last 5 years really is over and we have a leadership with a different (or no) vision, then it is difficult to make progress in this discussion.

Anyway, how can we sensibly discuss replacements if you remain unconvinced we need them because of the "facts" ?

Comparing apples and pears. Consider a few differences between now and when we last discussed this issue in January:

We have lost Jrod till the winter and are potentially reliant on a very raw youngster. Osvaldo is now definitely out of the picture.

Our other attacking options risk being depleted: Lallana, even Shaw and his width not to mention others.

With all the potential departures, it puts even more pressure on having a near flawless summer with transfers - that's unlikely to happen. In these circumstances, better the devil you know.

The proposed fee, if true, is much lower than what was previously touted. And for the reasons above, the importance of Lambert to us has now increased, with implications for his valuation.

I think the only mistake I have seen so far is the poor press management on the outstanding monies owed in transfers. It seemed to miss the point that most deals are done in instalments so was really a non-story but fed an impression that things were less stable than first thought and smacked of expectation management. So an own goal.

However, that apart, I don't buy into the argument that they should have provided a running commentary on contractual negotiations with MP or Spurs. And if rumour of total package for RL being £9 million is true, then for someone who turn 33 next season and is a lifelong Liverpool fan it isn't stupidity to consider it and negotiate.

I think all of this will turbo charge the recruitment of a new manager and I would be surprised if the new man is not in within the next two weeks to start to turn the tide

This absolutely. The time to judge is at the end of the summer, but that requires some emotional maturity. Apologies if that offends anyone but it's true, and also underlines why most fans should not be anywhere near football club boards...

True story.

if you cannot see the weight of momentum building behind a mass exodus and recongise that the last 5 years really is over and we have a leadership with a different (or no) vision, then it is difficult to make progress in this discussion.

Anyway, how can we sensibly discuss replacements if you remain unconvinced we need them because of the "facts" ?

A) How can I 'recognise' something which is entirely your opinion?

B) Quite happy to discuss potential replacements for Rickie, if it were to happen. My point was about not judging the board until we have something specific to judge them on, ideally the sum of all of their summer actions and decisions.

Nothing has actually happened apart from Poch going to Spurs because he wanted to.

And next week you will be saying "Nothing has actually happened apart from Poch going to Spurs because he wanted to and Rickie going to Liverpool to fulfill his childhood dream"

The week after you will be saying "Nothing has actually happened apart from Poch going to Spurs because he wanted to and Rickie going to Liverpool to fulfill his childhood dream and..."

And next week you will be saying "Nothing has actually happened apart from Poch going to Spurs because he wanted to and Rickie going to Liverpool to fulfill his childhood dream"

The week after you will be saying "Nothing has actually happened apart from Poch going to Spurs because he wanted to and Rickie going to Liverpool to fulfill his childhood dream and..."

But that's life, you can't stop players leaving who want to. We'll replace them, life goes on.

I think before we slate the board to much we should consider the following;

That MP had set his heart on leaving. It was nearly impossible to keep him

That his departure will have unsettled all of the players and the media love to develop a 'club in crisis' story

That when Ricky Lambert had the chance to go to Liverpool it was very hard to tell him he could not go. If they had they would have a very demotivated player next season

That AL and Shaw were always going to invite big money offers. They have not gone yet

The board have made the right noises even if their PR has been terrible

This happens to any club who find a decent crop of players when they aren't at the top of the Deloitte money list. The great Ajax team of the early 90s was torn apart, the great Leverkusen team of the early 2000s was torn apart, and I think it's a foregone conclusion that the current Atletico team is going to be torn apart, as Dortmund have been over the past two summers. So, if these league winning/CL final contending clubs have been unable to resist when the big beasts come to take their best players/coaches, what on earth gives anyone the idea that we'll be able to resist?

The so called sensible thread is now ruined and full of ****ing bed wetters already - has ANYTHING been confirmed..? NO!

FFS reserve your venom and bile for when and if 'the whole team gets sold...'

so far only the manager has left - some of the comments on here are UN-****ing-believable - called yourselves supporters...?

seriously, the club is ****ing better of without you. **** off and leave MY club to REAL fans.... SUPORT YOUR TEAM!

COYRs..!!!

How many times have you posted this, and how.many times have I admitted it was an overreaction? You really need to improve your debating and not try to fall back on something that I've admitted was an exaggeration.

Was always going to be like this - enough posters predicted a tough Summer even before the season was over - all this mass hysteria is pointless but at the same time contagiously entertaining :)

Couldn't agree more. One of the most amusing evenings I've had perusing the mongboard ever.

How many times have you posted this, and how.many times have I admitted it was an overreaction? You really need to improve your debating and not try to fall back on something that I've admitted was an exaggeration.

The most dramatic volte-face I've witnessed on this forum that's all.

You are happy to keep making attention-seeking threads that deride those with concerns about the board as 'hysterical' and set yourself up as the 'sensible' one, so just pointing out the hypocrisy of it.

As for debating, I think your arguments are starting to unravel somewhat...

Pretty much the only sensible thing I've read all evening.

Regardless of whether Cortese or 'dark forces' have had a hand in recent goings on, if NC could be bothered to read our fans' reactions he'd be ****ing himself.

The most dramatic volte-face I've witnessed on this forum that's all.

You are happy to keep making attention-seeking threads that deride those with concerns about the board as 'hysterical' and set yourself up as the 'sensible' one, so just pointing out the hypocrisy of it.

As for debating, I think your arguments are starting to unravel somewhat...

What's unravelled about it? I said if Poch wanted to go, he'd go. That's about it so far.

Try again love.

Nevertheless, all the speculation and losing MP is somewhat heart-wrenching. We have (not yet "had") a great squad with a mix of youngsters and old'yins, a captain who's a fantastic player and has respect of everyone at the club, and what's more we have a fine academy with more youngsters coming through and wanting to learn from those already in the senior squad.

If players have to leave, PLEASE let it be after the World Cup. 'Bigger' clubs are desperate to sign players beforehand so they don't add value by having a good tournament. I'd also like to have Southampton players there, not ex-Saints who are labeled 'Liverpool', 'Tottenham', 'Chelsea', etc. We want our club's name to be mentioned around the world cos it would help publicity for one. Hopefully the decision-makers can see that?

An issue is that if the senior squad is decimated, especially those who came through the ranks, youngsters will want away too so we'll be back in the position we were in when we lost Walcott, Bale, Ox, etc.

Yes, it's speculation and the only actual event is the loss of MP, but it's hard to watch the vultures gathering.

If we could keep AL, I think that would make a big difference.

Don't take this the wrong way Jeff' date=' but you come across as a bit of a wierdo. Might be your avatar or just your crap posts. Not sure yet...[/quote']

That's Jeff Goldblum you're talking to. He has made millions out of being a bit of a weirdo.