Is this the scenario?

Saint86

Beginning to wonder if the the scenario reads something like this:

Cortese wanted to push us onwards.

KL wants her money back, and decided the way to do this is in effect to asset strip the club by selling all the players, then flogging the carcass?

All she's had to do was come a long to a few games, look interested (or text a lot), hire ralphy with his positive "leadership" spiel, take the season ticket money, then flog flog flog...

Would explain why Cortese couldn't work with her.

Probably a bunch of BS, but I am starting to get massively concerned.

I can stomach losing lambert, anywhere near £8m for a 32 year old is good business, let alone letting him go to his dream club.

What I can't stomach is all the players talking about leaving, the manager going, the clubs talisman going, and nothing to the contrary regarding lallana and shaw.

Derby, sunderland etc are all able to forcefully come out and say "hands off" - Words we have failed to issue even once.

I've been all for giving this board time, looking on the bright side of things etc etc.... but so much is happening, so many rumours, and none of them being disputed, that I really am worrying that we are going to be stripped bare and sold on.

Not happy this evening

So has she manufactured all the players saying they want to leave?

She's not asset stripping, I'm 100% sure of this.

I don't think she'd need to in that scenario, if they no its going to be broken up, they'd want to get out asap.

Likewise, she can just make it clear that no further investment is to be forthcoming, and a few players will be sold to balance the books and you'd get players speaking out, one by one, as we have had happen...

I'm just saying....

One way or another, nearly all our players have started to voice discontent or have been linked away, with no rebuttal.

I think you've hit the nail with the 'hands off' reference. That's exactly what we've refused to say.

It's literately been a come and buy from us since they came in. ''We've inherited a tough financial situation'' ''we will start discussions with clubs at the end of the season'' ''we will do what is best for Southampton'' ''players will go on our terms''.

Clubs will lap it up, easy pickings. Lots of young, hungry English talent to be had on the south coast. Lambert did kind of come out of the blue, I thought he'd be here whatever....but it makes you think, if Lambert can go....who the hell else is attracting bids? Cork? Was that bid for Fonte from Hull true? Probably. At the end of the day we've opened our door, and I fail to see why. I don't see any sense in the asset stripping myself, I think it's just downright naivety and people in positions who don't know what they're doing.

But they're taking the **** out of us, which is the worst thing. Transparency my arse.

If KL wanted to sell the club it surely would be with our main stars intact and included as part of the deal. Our value to a purchaser decreases considerably without them. Probably they are collectively worth more to the club in the team than as individuals.

It's literately been a come and buy from us since they came in. ''We've inherited a tough financial situation'' ''we will start discussions with clubs at the end of the season'' ''we will do what is best for Southampton'' ''players will go on our terms''.

That doesn't really hang together when it was the new board that ripped up the deal for Lambert to West Ham in January that Cortese had arranged and sanctioned.

I hate to say it, but they are right. It is starting to feel like I've been trying to deny it to myself. This feels like asset stripping and either way now it is taking the ****. If you care about the club, you need to publicly start coming out and defending it, and that goes for players to board staff to fans. Lovren is the only public figure to do so yet which is great but shocking from our supposedly transparent fan and heritage caring board. Unless they mean they are respecting our heritage of being treated like c*nts by the media, referee association, other clubs and god knows how many other of the corrupt bastards.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the reason for the appointment of Ralph and everything else happening. RL , Lallana and Shaw going is in itself enough to shoot the team through the head, they represent all the progress of the last 5 years in England leagues. If you are willing to even entertain speculation of all three going like this there is no way you are hiring anyone with ambition as a manager. Tomorrow night after renewals close I now fear the worst. If it does happen I pray the board have fast cars because I don't want this to get even more ugly than it already is.

What would be worth more? The club with its current stars OR the sale of 5-6 players and a (most likely) subsequent relegation. Surely it's the former?

Maybe KL is bitter enough at Cortese to tear his dream apart in front of him? i really don't know but at the moment it is clear she is not going to sell the club but is willing to sell potential, ambition, hope and assets.

What would be worth more? The club with its current stars OR the sale of 5-6 players and a (most likely) subsequent relegation. Surely it's the former?

Not really. Every player has a price. If you think, say, Lambert is worth £5m, then the club are better off having £6m in cash and losing Lambert.

If I have a genuine van Gogh hanging on my wall in my flat, then obviously my flat is worth more with that painting than it would be with an empty wall. That doesn't mean I should keep the van Gogh though.

Not really. Every player has a price. If you think, say, Lambert is worth £5m, then the club are better off having £6m in cash and losing Lambert.

If I have a genuine van Gogh hanging on my wall in my flat, then obviously my flat is worth more with that painting than it would be with an empty wall. That doesn't mean I should keep the van Gogh though.

But you should because it's more priceless to you, not the collector buying it who already has the mona lisa. Amongst greater paintings it means very little and as for you, you can only replace it with a cheap print of the Eiffel tower.

It's pretty clear that's what's going on. Cortese wanted to progress, Liebherr wants her money. This was all very obvious when Cortese left but has only become clear to many just now.

Yes, and the only thing that is surprising is the number here still in denial. The mood music at Saints changed dramatically the day Cortese left, and we sent a green light to other clubs that the summer would be an auction of the family silver.

I am always saying "seen it all before" BUT the Lambert thing has got me worried.

a guy who loves to play every game prepared to go to Liverpool as a bit part player because there is no way he plays before their current 2 strikers is a great concern as to what the employees of the club may think of their bosses.

Jump ship while you can

Dear OP.

Bullkrap.

There is a simple way to understand why it is bullkrap. Krueger.

Look, he has become TSW enemy #1 in the past few weeks (fair enough), but what most of you fail to understand is that he himself is a very valuable BRAND in the world of BIG BUSINESS. (See Leadership & Davos)

He can take his pick of major sums of money for Speeches/Training/Motivational Sessions anywhere in the World in ANY Industry. At the moment the nearest UK equivalent is Dave Brailsford.

I know many on here have never worked for or understand "Multi-Nationals" or "Corporate US Speak", but Ralph could quite easily wandered the planet (like Tony Blair) talking Bullkrap and earning well over a million a year.

He did not NEED the job at SMS.

MOST Importantly - he, as a person, and as a BRAND could NEVER be seen to come into an organisation and Asset Strip it, Lie to it's Customers (Stakeholders in Corporate Speak) and for WHAT? A million quid bonus, maybe two? He would have ZERO credibility in his normal role. It is simply NOT possibly for someone of HIS calibre to do that.

IF he had been told by KL that is the job he must now do, he would have been off like a shot. He would gain FAR more in credibility or future income in showing LEADERSHIP rather than LYING.

Simply does not stack up in such a simplistic way.

Looks like an asset strip from where I sit. I think this will only go so far so the risk of relegation is low. I think the owner will be gone by xmas either through a sale or a fan backlash. There are a few clubs like Reading and Villa with this problem.

If KL wanted to sell the club it surely would be with our main stars intact and included as part of the deal. Our value to a purchaser decreases considerably without them. Probably they are collectively worth more to the club in the team than as individuals.

I'd like to think the threads conspiracy theory is bogus and that a simple lack of an experienced chief executive who has little or no media presence and clearly no understanding of the depth of dormant anger that sits within an ancient football clubs fanbase can do to rip apart a club when awoken, and a DoF (?) in LR who has got his confidence levels so high on the adrenalin of success he has created up to now that he feels he can lose the best players and put in another manager to keep moving forward (shades of the start of Lowes downfall?).

But, there are sadly not many potential owners for a nearly top 4 club, that's big bucks. There are however more potential buyers for a mid table venture. With the Crown Jewels sold, the clubs value falls considerably allowing the Tans of the world their opportunity to speculate. We got lucky with Marcus L, but it seems more and more obvious that his daughter is not willing to invest.

A vicious circle awaits if this plays out as it is threatening to. Even if KL does want the best for the club, it will not take long before coming to SMS becomes uncomfortable as the fans start to turn.

There are three parts to a football club that need to be kept in harmony, which until a week ago were a model for all others to follow at Saints.

The genius of the players - The strong governance of the Club - The passion of the fans.

Undermine any of those factors, as we saw from the moment Rupert Lowe lost an 8th Place manager who was losing his best players (to age and injury) and refused to add to the genius of his players - my goodness there are frightening comparisons we could make here - and the club will fall.

Right now our Governance looks very weak - our genius is in danger of a mass exit and our fanbase is rumbling.

BUT IT CAN BE STOPPED IN ITS TRACKS NOW BY GETTING A STRONG MANAGER AND POINT BLANK REFUSING TO SELL OUR PLAYERS.

IF NOT, 'Sha la la la la la la la... who's ****ing laughing now?' will come back to haunt us.

I'd like to think the threads conspiracy theory is bogus and that a simple lack of an experienced chief executive who has little or no media presence and clearly no understanding of the depth of dormant anger that sits within an ancient football clubs fanbase can do to rip apart a club when awoken, and a DoF (?) in LR who has got his confidence levels so high on the adrenalin of success he has created up to now that he feels he can lose the best players and put in another manager to keep moving forward (shades of the start of Lowes downfall?).

But, there are sadly not many potential owners for a nearly top 4 club, that's big bucks. There are however more potential buyers for a mid table venture. With the Crown Jewels sold, the clubs value falls considerably allowing the Tans of the world their opportunity to speculate. We got lucky with Marcus L, but it seems more and more obvious that his daughter is not willing to invest.

A vicious circle awaits if this plays out as it is threatening to. Even if KL does want the best for the club, it will not take long before coming to SMS becomes uncomfortable as the fans start to turn.

There are three parts to a football club that need to be kept in harmony, which until a week ago were a model for all others to follow at Saints.

The genius of the players - The strong governance of the Club - The passion of the fans.

Undermine any of those factors, as we saw from the moment Rupert Lowe lost an 8th Place manager who was losing his best players (to age and injury) and refused to add to the genius of his players - my goodness there are frightening comparisons we could make here - and the club will fall.

Right now our Governance looks very weak - our genius is in danger of a mass exit and our fanbase is rumbling.

BUT IT CAN BE STOPPED IN ITS TRACKS NOW BY GETTING A STRONG MANAGER AND POINT BLANK REFUSING TO SELL OUR PLAYERS.

IF NOT, 'Sha la la la la la la la... who's ****ing laughing now?' will come back to haunt us.

Can we therefore just jump into the real world for one minute and analyse THAT statement?

1) We had a shortlist plus some other applications

2) The Board sat down and went through them in the day since MP left

3) The Board have decided which 5 or 6 they would like to talk to

4) The Board have contacted their Agents and asked for their expression of interest

5) The Board will contact the clubs that some of them are under contract to and request permission to Interview them

6) The Board will fly them to a location where they can hold an interview

7) The Board will pick a prime Candidate and offer him a Contract

8) The Candidate will Negotiate and then sign a contract.

Yep, no problem getting all of that done in 36 hours

That doesn't really hang together when it was the new board that ripped up the deal for Lambert to West Ham in January that Cortese had arranged and sanctioned.

Don't think that can be seen as indicative - I'm sure even the most clueless incoming board member would have recognised that it would have been a PR gaffe eclipsing all else to sell our star goalscorer as soon as they came in. It would have made it easier for Poch to walk in Jan as well. Far better (if S-Clarke's view has merit) to wait until summer and let things happen then.

if KL is so desperate to sell why has she waited four years to do so?

the club will have been worth its most the moment out 8th place was confirmed and we had all our prime assets in place.

they will struggle to attract a manager of any decent calibre if the strategy is to sell off all our decent players.

i think we will always have lost shaw and possibly lallana for the right price, lambert has a chance to fulfill his boyhood dream at the end of his career and mopo had a chance to manage a big name top six club in the best league in the world.

lets calm down a bit and wait and see what happens

Is this the scenario?

Scene: Tanti Kati und Oncle Rolf’s Swiss Treats and Fancies shop.

The bell rings. Enter three men with tight bubble perms, moustaches and wearing garish shellsuits.

It is the Scouse Scallies, those loveable rogues who everybody loves because they’ve always got a funny line to joke their way out of hardship and adversity.

Scallies: All right! All right! Calm down, youse.

Tanti Kati: Guten Morgen mein Herren, und bitte, please keep your hands vere I can see zem. I know vot you Scouse Skellies are like for nicking everysink zat isn’t nailed down. How can ve help you?

Scallies: All right! All right! Calm down. It’s our loveable old grannie’s bitrthday and we want to get her something nice. We wuz just wondering what you have got.

Tanti Kati: Vell you are in luck mein kleine knooderln. Ve haff plenty on ze shelves at the moment, but you must hurry.

Scallies: Eh! We’re from Liverpool, so we like tings dat begin with the letter L. Can we have a look at that Lallana you’ve got there, please? We’re also interested in the Lovren you’ve got.

Tanti Kati: Let me just fetch Oncle Rolf. ROLFI! Zere are customers in ze shop.

Enter Oncle Rolfi, smiling and beaming: Hi gentlemen. Can I just say that we do not have to sell any of our products. None of the items you see on the shelves are for sale, unless you want to buy them. I love Maple Syrup, me.

Scallies: We’re interested in the Lallana for our loveable old grannie’s birthday.

Oncle Rolfi: Ah, the Lallana, he might be a bit out of your price range, guys. He comes in at £25m. He’s expensive as we have to give some money back to our Russian buddy Maxim. He will shoot our kneecaps off it we don’t.

Scallies: Dat’s a bit more than we wanted to pay. What about the Lovren?

Oncle Rolfi: He’ll cost you around £15m. Our goods are all high quality and don’t come cheap.

Scallies: Have you got something a bit cheaper. We don’t love our loveable old grannie that much. We’ve got lottery tickets to buy.

Oncle Rolfi: We’ve got this Lambert. It’s knocking on a bit, but there’s a good few miles left in it. Like a fine wine, it’s just got better with age.

It’s well loved by everyone and we’d be sorry to see it go. We want £9m for it, but seeing as you are loveable Scouse scallies, it’s your for £4m.

Scallies: Gee, thanks Oncle Rolfi. Hey, hold on a minute, you’ve dropped something on the floor behind you?

Oncle Rolfi bends down behind the counter and when he stands up the Scallies have gone and the shop door is swinging on its hinges. He looks bemused and puzzled.

Oncle Rolfi: (shouts at the top of his voice) Tanti Kati! – have you seen the Lambert? It’s disappeared and those Scouse Scallies have left the shop.

And it looks as though the Lovren and the Lallana have gone as well. Hold on a minute, they have left £10 on the counter and a note.

Tanti Kati (from the back of the shop): Vat does ze note say?

Oncle Rolfi: It says; ‘Calm down! Calm down! Thanks, mugs. We’ll be back later for your cruise ship business.’

Tanti Kati: £10 is gut. Get ze boats ready. In the meantime, get some Port ready. Zat nice Portuguese gentleman from London is coming in later.

Does it really matter??

2 weeks time we have the world cup starting. Lets enjoy that and worry about this after.

I have to say that the World Cup doesn't seem that important anymore. I was super-excited having 3 Saints players in the England squad but it appears that they will now be Liverpool/Man Utd players in waiting now and our club is in tatters. It certainly has taken the shine off the WC for me.

Dear OP.

Bullkrap.

Look, he has become TSW enemy #1 in the past few weeks (fair enough), but what most of you fail to understand is that he himself is a very valuable BRAND in the world of BIG BUSINESS. (See Leadership & Davos)

He can take his pick of major sums of money for Speeches/Training/Motivational Sessions anywhere in the World in ANY Industry. At the moment the nearest UK equivalent is Dave Brailsford.

I know many on here have never worked for or understand "Multi-Nationals" or "Corporate US Speak", but Ralph could quite easily wandered the planet (like Tony Blair) talking Bullkrap and earning well over a million a year.

MOST Importantly - he, as a person, and as a BRAND could NEVER be seen to come into an organisation and Asset Strip it, Lie to it's Customers (Stakeholders in Corporate Speak) and for WHAT? A million quid bonus, maybe two? He would have ZERO credibility in his normal role. It is simply NOT possibly for someone of HIS calibre to do that.

IF he had been told by KL that is the job he must now do, he would have been off like a shot. He would gain FAR more in credibility or future income in showing LEADERSHIP rather than LYING.

Absolutely right. Why would anyone hire such a person when their intention was to asset strip? Just to lie to fans? What would that achieve? Just to sell season tickets before bailing out? He would look like an utter stool pigeon.

Let´s say you want to assett strip it, which scenario would be the easiest? (not saying it is happening though)

Sell players for £80-100m and then sell the rest of the club to someone for £10-20m?

or

Trying to sell the whole club including players for £100m?

I think you might find quite a few out there willing to pay £10-20m to own a PL club, to find those willing to pay £100m is harder...

Absolutely right. Why would anyone hire such a person when their intention was to asset strip? Just to lie to fans? What would that achieve? Just to sell season tickets before bailing out? He would look like an utter stool pigeon.

His knowledge of hockey will really come in handy now. So glad he is here. This is asset stripping! That is why he is here...to maximise a quick profit, sell us to some chancer on the cheap (Rupert Lowe anyone?)and bail out with a few quid in his back pocket. There was always this chance once ML passed away. Saints were his vision alone and that vision largely died with him. Be thankful for the season we just had and remember it fondly. We won't be back in the top half again anytime soon. I don't want it this way but that's life. The sooner fans get used to the idea we will be scrapping to stay up with a low quality side the better. As it always was. Mayuka wants to come back and I for one am prepared to bet the board are ignorant enough to see him as a cheap replacement for Rickie. Hey ho.

Let´s say you want to assett strip it, which scenario would be the easiest? (not saying it is happening though)

Sell players for £80-100m and then sell the rest of the club to someone for £10-20m?

or

Trying to sell the whole club including players for £100m?

I think you might find quite a few out there willing to pay £10-20m to own a PL club, to find those willing to pay £100m is harder...

Getting much over 100 million for the club bearing in mind that there are debts to be taken on as well wouldn't be easy. Selling the players first and then the club for a far lesser amount and taking on the debt would appear easier.

Brought this point up a couple of weeks back, as it stands the club's current liabilities probably exceed it's market value.

Getting much over 100 million for the club bearing in mind that there are debts to be taken on as well wouldn't be easy. Selling the players first and then the club for a far lesser amount and taking on the debt would appear easier.

Brought this point up a couple of weeks back, as it stands the club's current liabilities probably exceed it's market value.

Cant the liabilities be weighted against the Sky Money that just arrived though...?

Dear OP.

Bullkrap.

Spot on. But he is having to be disingenuous with us. His last interview was very revealing. There is no "Plan". That is not really a problem for a lot of people but fact of the matter is that the last 5 years culture has been based on having a plan- and its worked a treat. We are in for a culture shock as well as what looks like a virtually brand new team and management come August. Hope for the best, but some too obvious cock-ups and straightforward bad and slow decisions happening now by people who even though are mega respected world wide- should still really know better. Most important being waiting too long to tie Mopo down. Catastrophic mistake. But selling Rickie is even worse for me.

I would not be surprised if Ralph resigns soon.

Edited by Giordano

if KL is so desperate to sell why has she waited four years to do so?

Probate probably. Something happened on or around the 23rd October of last year, until that day Cortese ran everything, lock stock and football club, on that date he was removed from everything ML ever owned except SFC, he probably gave his notice in then as well, 3 months taking him up to mid-Jan. I put to you that KL assumed full power over the empire on or around that day, having previously been sidelined whilst probate was resolved. It could well be that up until that day she had no power of intervention whatsoever.

FFS, let's wait and see, eh?

I don't know how some of you get out of bed in the morning with the kind of worst-case thinking going on here.

"Yeah, I wanted to go out, but was afraid I'd get hit by a meteor, so I didn't".

His knowledge of hockey will really come in handy now. So glad he is here. This is asset stripping! That is why he is here...to maximise a quick profit, sell us to some chancer on the cheap (Rupert Lowe anyone?)and bail out with a few quid in his back pocket. There was always this chance once ML passed away. Saints were his vision alone and that vision largely died with him. Be thankful for the season we just had and remember it fondly. We won't be back in the top half again anytime soon. I don't want it this way but that's life. The sooner fans get used to the idea we will be scrapping to stay up with a low quality side the better. As it always was. Mayuka wants to come back and I for one am prepared to bet the board are ignorant enough to see him as a cheap replacement for Rickie. Hey ho.

... while announcing to the world that he is a liar, a chancer and will do anything for a quick buck. Effing nonsense. Just maybe the new board knew that MP would go, knew what the knock-on results were likely to be and needed a clear headed leader who wasn't going to be panicked by simple-minded football fans who are all geniuses when faced with a confluence of difficult problems.

... while announcing to the world that he is a liar, a chancer and will do anything for a quick buck. Effing nonsense. Just maybe the new board knew that MP would go, knew what the knock-on results were likely to be and needed a clear headed leader who wasn't going to be panicked by simple-minded football fans who are all geniuses when faced with a confluence of difficult problems.

I may well be wrong here but has Krueger ever lead anything really. He's a motivational speaker and ice hockey consultant, he talks, inspires but does he lead. In his one season as head coach of the Oilers I believe he actually got sacked at the end. For me he talks a good campaign, whether he is capable of actually leading one I'm still awaiting proof.

Dear OP.

Bullkrap.

Can't really agree with this. Having lived and worked in North America for 20 years I can say that this kind of thing happens on a daily basis here. Plenty of management speak bull**** on one hand and doing the opposite on the other hand. Few are really concerned about reputation here - it is all about 'give me the money.' Yeah, everything is fine today, but you are all fired tomorrow. Add to this the fact that North American sport culture simply does not translate to football culture and you have a dangerous combination. What happens in North American sports when you have a bad season? Well, nothing. No relegation, no loss of TV money no devastation of the team and you get the best draft pick the next year. Great! I am not sure that Ralfie fully understands the impact of ripping a team apart in football. Anyway, he is probably just the mouthpiece and is not the man making the decisions. Anyone with any value will likely be gone before the season starts and maybe even before the world cup. It is open house at SFC.

I may well be wrong here but has Krueger ever lead anything really. He's a motivational speaker and ice hockey consultant, he talks, inspires but does he lead. In his one season as head coach of the Oilers I believe he actually got sacked at the end. For me he talks a good campaign, whether he is capable of actually leading one I'm still awaiting proof.

Thats Les Reed's department.

Beginning to wonder if the the scenario reads something like this:

Cortese wanted to push us onwards.

KL wants her money back, and decided the way to do this is in effect to asset strip the club by selling all the players, then flogging the carcass?

All she's had to do was come a long to a few games, look interested (or text a lot), hire ralphy with his positive "leadership" spiel, take the season ticket money, then flog flog flog...

Would explain why Cortese couldn't work with her.

Probably a bunch of BS, but I am starting to get massively concerned.

I can stomach losing lambert, anywhere near £8m for a 32 year old is good business, let alone letting him go to his dream club.

What I can't stomach is all the players talking about leaving, the manager going, the clubs talisman going, and nothing to the contrary regarding lallana and shaw.

Derby, sunderland etc are all able to forcefully come out and say "hands off" - Words we have failed to issue even once.

I've been all for giving this board time, looking on the bright side of things etc etc.... but so much is happening, so many rumours, and none of them being disputed, that I really am worrying that we are going to be stripped bare and sold on.

Not happy this evening

If KL just wanted to sell all the players and sell the club why does she need to pretend she wasn't? I mean she owns the club she can do what she likes she hardly needs to pretend she is interested, hire a chairman and other boardroom staff She can sell what she wants and there is **** all we can do about it.

Having said that it does seem like were open to flogging everyone at the moment. There is so much **** flying around the media and the internet I don't ****ing no what to believe anymore.

Some of the bed wetting going on is hard to believe, even Barry wasn't this bad

We have lost a manager and sold one player, an ageing CF who would have had reduced playing time next year anyway, as he did last year. We have turned down bids for others

We are yet to appoint a new manager or know what funds he has. For all we know it will be a star name with 30m to spend

If Lallana and Shaw want to play CL football we can't stop them (no team could including spurs, Everton etc)

We have a superb academy and a team full of quality players some of whom will improve (VW, Chambers, Gallagher, Ramirez etc) and yet people are bleating on like we are going to league 2 by Christmas

Doing my head in, get a grip FFS and have some patience , season doesn't start for months and we all have no idea that the owner and the board don't have big plans. as phil says, Krueger hasn't come here to be a muppet

Let's back the club and have some faith , COYS