Spitfire Beer

Saint_Abroad

I've traveled to the UK many a time and I don't recall ever seeing Spitfire beer but at a local beer shop (USA) they reference it as "Great Britain's #1 beer." Any truth to this? Obviously the Spitfire holds significance to Southampton so I'm curious.

Worth a try I suppose. I figured most of it was marketing but any insight into its taste?

It's a pretty decent bottled beer, as bottled beers go.

But I'm not particularly big fan of Shepherd Neame served in the boozer.

Having lived in the states for 4 years, I would have said it'll be about 20 times better than some of the pi ss they serve, but not a patch on some real ales here in the UK.

It's a pretty decent bottled beer, as bottled beers go.

But I'm not particularly big fan of Shepherd Neame served in the boozer.

Having lived in the states for 4 years, I would have said it'll be about 20 times better than some of the pi ss they serve, but not a patch on some real ales here in the UK.

Pretty fair assessment

Certainly not the 31 beerin UK that's for sure!!

Don't buy the cans, the bottles are better (as with all beers tbh), assuming you don't have access to draught at your local bar.

A few reviews of it from mainly American drinkers might give you some idea what to expect.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/138/305/

There's plenty of good craft beers in America now, many of them much nicer than Spitfire which is ok but nothing special. They are probably stating it's Britian's number 1 beer because Shephard Neame is the countries oldest brewer. I'm guessing it sells quite well because it's often on offer at a £1 a bottle in supermarkets.

This article on American beer is a bit old but still relevant.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/jun/24/american-craft-beer-hippest-hops

kTfna.jpg

That was good for a laugh. I'll have to pick some up when my current stock runs low.

Since we're talking about beer, would anyone know of a UK beer shop that ships to the US? Google has let me down in my pursuit for good British beer delivered to the States.

Have you tried places like Bevmo online? Be far cheaper getting it delivered domestically than having it imported (not sure they sell spitfire though). Luckily I've got Total Wine in town which sell a pretty good range of English booze, although I go for the craft domestic stuff meself.

There are quite a lot of US breweries offering English styles as well.

World Market, if you have one near you always has a few English beers. Not to mention Bovril, English baked beans and all that weird kinda stuff we like. Sadly, no black pudding though. :(

Edit: BTW:- Johnny's landed in the drink! I actually did a real LOL. :D

Edited by Ohio Saint

Have you tried places like Bevmo online? Be far cheaper getting it delivered domestically than having it imported (not sure they sell spitfire though). Luckily I've got Total Wine in town which sell a pretty good range of English booze, although I go for the craft domestic stuff meself.

There are quite a lot of US breweries offering English styles as well.

I'm familiar with Bevmo and Total Wine (I'm in DE) but it's just more of the same. I was hoping to get access to more of the Fullers range. I really like Seafarers, probably because of the ship on the glass, and Lancaster Blonde.

Ratebeer is pretty good, although it is American-led (and beer geek heavy) it's got good input on British beer. http://www.ratebeer.com/

Bottled Spitfire is in my opinion not nearly as good as a well-kept cask pint. So I'd recommend Spitfire very cautiously and add that it is far from Britain's top beer (even those widely available).

Again IMO the US has a great beer scene, but they don't really 'get' UK beer. Americans like UK stouts and barley wines but don't seem to care quite as much for bitters and milds. One decent (although not amazing) UK-style bitter is Goose Island Honkers Ale. The hops are massively New World but then again same for many English bitters now.

Bottled Spitfire is in my opinion not nearly as good as a well-kept cask pint.

I'd hope not - had a bottle of it last night and it was rank. Mind you I'm more into porters and stouts.

Some mates cajoled me into signing up for Untappd - it's supposed to be a sort of beery social network but works well as a way of discovering new beers (via location search), seeing what friends are drinking or just keeping a log of your favourites. Decent mobile app too.

I'm familiar with Bevmo and Total Wine (I'm in DE) but it's just more of the same. I was hoping to get access to more of the Fullers range. I really like Seafarers, probably because of the ship on the glass, and Lancaster Blonde.

Looks as though Spitfire is distributed by Moosehead north of the border, you should call them to get some ideas where they distribute to.

Ratebeer is pretty good, although it is American-led (and beer geek heavy) it's got good input on British beer. http://www.ratebeer.com/

Bottled Spitfire is in my opinion not nearly as good as a well-kept cask pint. So I'd recommend Spitfire very cautiously and add that it is far from Britain's top beer (even those widely available).

Again IMO the US has a great beer scene, but they don't really 'get' UK beer. Americans like UK stouts and barley wines but don't seem to care quite as much for bitters and milds. One decent (although not amazing) UK-style bitter is Goose Island Honkers Ale. The hops are massively New World but then again same for many English bitters now.

True.

Goose island company brewers recently visited a local pub here and all they brought with them for samples were alcohol heavy 'bourbon' and Belgian ales.

Honkers is ok and the most common 'English' ale to be found on tap where I am. There are better examples out there but as you say, the willingness to produce it on the same scale as aggressive IPAs is just not there, for now.

I suppose I was just born in the wrong country for beer enjoyment. While there are a few I can enjoy, I never got into the US microbrew scene.

Looks as though Spitfire is distributed by Moosehead north of the border, you should call them to get some ideas where they distribute to.

Spitfire is here in Delaware and since I've never seen it before, even those places that pride themselves in a giant selection, I'll pick up some bottles this week. Hopefully it's popular at my local beer shop because I've seen Coopers (Australia) sit on their shelves two years past it's brewed date.

Doom Bar, in its latest recipe is vile. Like a flat cheap lager.

That will be a shame if they have buggered that up........................... You are sure that you hadn't recently brushed your teeth not long before supping it?! ;)

I will have to go back to Adnams if they have.

The sweet taste of the corporate takeover, although owned by Molson/Coors for a while.

Blimey just had a closer look, £20m they bought them for, nice little earner for what started out as micro brewery......... Sadly likely prone to cost savings from above now.

Some mates cajoled me into signing up for Untappd - it's supposed to be a sort of beery social network but works well as a way of discovering new beers (via location search), seeing what friends are drinking or just keeping a log of your favourites. Decent mobile app too.

Good app isn't it if a little geeky...got to collect those badges! :) It is good to keep track of stuff you've tried though and to see how much beer mates are guzzling...

10 years ago could not find Real Ale in Dubai for love nor money - maybe a pint of Boddington's or Kilkenny.

Now we have one of London Pride or Pedigree on tap in every bar. Not proper Real Ale but a decent pint.

On my last visit to our Hole in the Wall I found over 20 different bottled Ales including Henry's IPA (Wadworths), Ringwood 49er and (my least favourite) Spitfire.

I'm told we are to blame all the migrant EU workers who went to the UK made a fortune, travelled home and suddenly exports of UK Bottled beer shot up first in the EU (Especially in Poland - even drank OSH DRAUGHT over there!)

Here? Well there's 200,000 of us Brits so they'll bring in all sorts.

Ooh, that reminds me Eric. Not long to the Hopfest..........

Pack yer dancing shoes, Town Called Malice already on the play-list!

10 years ago could not find Real Ale in Dubai for love nor money - maybe a pint of Boddington's or Kilkenny.

Now we have one of London Pride or Pedigree on tap in every bar. Not proper Real Ale but a decent pint.

On my last visit to our Hole in the Wall I found over 20 different bottled Ales including Henry's IPA (Wadworths), Ringwood 49er and (my least favourite) Spitfire.

I'm told we are to blame all the migrant EU workers who went to the UK made a fortune, travelled home and suddenly exports of UK Bottled beer shot up first in the EU (Especially in Poland - even drank OSH DRAUGHT over there!)

Here? Well there's 200,000 of us Brits so they'll bring in all sorts.

Ooh, that reminds me Eric. Not long to the Hopfest..........

Pack yer dancing shoes, Town Called Malice already on the play-list!

It's Alice.

Alice.

Who the fu...........

When I first moved to Kent, Spitfire in bottles was good, being Bottle Conditioned. I don't know when it changed, but I'm not as fond of it as I used to be. Of course, it's better on tap.

Shepherd Neame have started doing a range of beers in 'retro' type bottles with the old fashioned labels on. There's an IPA, a dark stout, and something called a 'Brilliant' ale. All on the strong side (above 5.0%), but very drinkable. Anyone else seen them?

When I first moved to Kent, Spitfire in bottles was good, being Bottle Conditioned. I don't know when it changed, but I'm not as fond of it as I used to be. Of course, it's better on tap.

Shepherd Neame have started doing a range of beers in 'retro' type bottles with the old fashioned labels on. There's an IPA, a dark stout, and something called a 'Brilliant' ale. All on the strong side (above 5.0%), but very drinkable. Anyone else seen them?

I was only thinking the other day that Spitfire used to be bottle conditioned, you used to have to pour it gently because of the live stuff at the bottom.

I was talking to a drayman for Hall & Woodhouse about beers changing. He said that a lot are being made weaker now as the tax changes once you go over 4.9%. I don't know if its true, but tanglefoot, my personal favourite, is not the beer it was 30 years ago.

Lidl often do random Shepherd Neame ales for £1 a bottle, most of them being beers I've never heard of and never see again once they've gone.

The best place to drink Spitfire is sat in the sun at Canterbury while watching Kent play cricket.

Spitfire is like nectar from the beer gods, honey on the tongue of an angel, compared to the fizzy cold **** water the Aussies like to call 'beer'. For a country that prides itself on mateship and a hard drinking culture it's beer is a complete disgrace. Prefer a lot of other British beers to Spitfire - Ruddles, Fullers, Bass out of the barrel, but I'll take Spitfire over the Aussie pig swill any day.

Think I got lucky in the States.

The place I stay at most has a brewery in town, and some very nice hoppy ales. It's all ice cold, of course - but I actually prefer it that way.

Decent cold ale > Decent cold lager for me.

Think I got lucky in the States.

The place I stay at most has a brewery in town, and some very nice hoppy ales. It's all ice cold, of course - but I actually prefer it that way.

Decent cold ale > Decent cold lager for me.

To be fair a hoppy golden IPA tastes OK cold, as do some stronger stouts (two things US brewing does well). I prefer my proper British bitter and milf at a warmer temperature.

This is my local brewery: http://www.hooky.co.uk/ Prefer Hooky over Old Hooky. Recommend the brewery tour if you happen to be nearby.

In-laws live in King's Sutton so tried both the Hooky and Old Hooky when I was back a few weeks ago thought both were pretty good. Found a couple of good beer shops in Singapore recently. Quite like Badger's Poacher's Choice.

Shepherd Neame always a safe choice if nought else available..

Try their Early Red if you get the chance.

My personal favourite from the shep stable is a green hop ale, only available for a short time straight after the harvest.

Try Old Bob,,,,,,

Had a bottle of that last night - quite a kick at 8.5%.

Seem to be visiting Bitter Virtue every week of late. Gradually working through their entire collection of stouts and porters.

Bought a 6 pack of Spitfire this weekend, had 2 bottles and they were terrible. I'm fairly certain the beer was skunked and was sitting on the shelf for over a year. It's a shame because I really wanted to try it. It had a "dum dum" lollipop taste to it, for those familiar with that, which I always pick up on in beer that's too old.

• 3 months later...
If any of you live Poole way I strongly recommend and visit here. http://www.bournemouthbrewery.co.uk/ It's on the Nuffield Estate, pretty much a one-man show and the guy makes some really great beers....

Was down the quay at the weekend and it looks like the guy has opened a bar . Normally I head down the quay via the brewhouse /Blue Boar direction, but found myself coming via Hamworthy on Sunday and saw it . Been open a couple of months. Its just down from Corkers heading towards old bridge. Well worth a visit if you're a Poole based real ale drinker.