New Southampton manager to be given a "minimum of a £50m transfer kitty"

Matthew Le God

Ralph's plan coming together. Like I said yesterday, sort out the mess he inherited first then he can be creative.

All together now

'He used to coach hockey

He f*cking hates pompey'

Edited by Turkish

How do you keep hold of players capable of playing at Champions League competing level, if you aren't Champions League competing level yourself?

Ask Liverpool, they managed to keep a want away striker last year, against his wishes, who wanted to play for a Champions League Club.

Think it was something to do with him having signed a contract to play for Liverpool and they weren't prepared to sell at any price, nor let other clubs talk to him, even after they had met the release clause.

Ralph's plan together. Like I said yesterday, sort out the mess he inherited first then he can be creative.

All together now

'He used to coach hockey

He f*cking hates pompey'

FRO (F**k Right off) - I have never criticized anyone on this board yet, but you are seriously tempting me!

Trying to look at this pragmatically:

Last season we lost £7m operationally. Last season included Premier League payments of £44m. Although some of the new contracts were signed before the end of last season the full brunt of them wouldn't be felt until this season. Since last season (and the £7m loss with Premier League income of £44m) the following has happened:

Rickie Lambert signed a new deal

Kelvin Davis signed a new deal

Adam Lallana signed a new deal

Morgan Schneiderlin signed a new deal

Luke Shaw signed a new deal

Calum Chambers signed a new deal

I will suggest that Lallana, Schneiderlin, and Shaw received significant pay rises. The others less so.

We also spent £32m on three players and it would be fair to assume their wages aren't cheap either. The wage bill will be very big for a club of our size.

This season we received an extra £40m in Premier League payments (up to around £84m). We also know that £22m of transfer fees are owed in the summer. That would leave £18m for other costs. I can comfortably see most of that gobbled up by the increased wage bill. We trimmed some fringe players in January but I do not see that having a significant impact.

I would suggest we will not be making a profit whatsoever for this season. That doesn't stop us buying players of course, however if a spend of £30m on transfer fees each summer (which most of the transfer fee paid in subsequent years) leaves us without a profit each year then exactly how does spending £50m become possible?

I agree. If we do sell adam, luke, lovren, morgan as well as rickie then that must bring in about 80 million. Plenty of scope for a £50 million pot for new players, plus balances the books. That 50 mill could then not be spent on like for like replacements (obviously) but on say seven or eight cheaper players. We would lose the quality of the first eleven but possibly have greater squad depth.

Not saying i agree with this strategy, just trying to work out what it might be

How do we know that KL hasn't decided in the past couple of weeks after being totally shafted by Mopo and realising we need to show some ambition to keep our best players to not invest some of her own fortune to help the transfer budget this summer and make £50 million available to our new manager.

The press are having a field day at our expense but only Lambert has actually left(or about to). Lets see who is appointed manager and if its Garcia or Gross then the sh*t will definitely hit the fan and see if the board stick to their word of not selling anyone else until the new manager is appointed. Similarly if they break their word on this this week then we can rightly go ballistic until then it is all media hype

Ask Liverpool, they managed to keep a want away striker last year, against his wishes, who wanted to play for a Champions League Club.

Think it was something to do with him having signed a contract to play for Liverpool and they weren't prepared to sell at any price, nor let other clubs talk to him, even after they had met the release clause.

Completely different - if Liverpool hadn't got off to such a fast start and end up challenging for the title, the detente between player and club would argubly have fallen apart.

Agree, the panic and bed wetting is getting too much, the board have allowed Lambert to go to his boyhood club, turned down offers for Shaw and Lallana and appear to look like appointing a decent replacement for Poch. Let's give them a chance

Agreed, look at the situation like that then its really not bad. Hopefully this is closer to the truth. A lot of people appartently 'ITK' are also really negative.

Jesus. Poeple moaning about spending too little and being relegated them complain about overspending and the financial situation. Please calm down, this isn't the apocalypse. We've had a great season and have a lot of amazing players. Future is bright, future is red and white.

So let's start with the assumption that the rag got this £50m figure from the Board at Saints. Not an outlandish suggestion right? However 48 hours ago (roughly) the Board were found out to be economical with the truth regarding player sales before a Manager was brought in, so should we believe (a) that Koeman is anywhere near being appointed and (b) that any appointment will be given £50m to play with? I don't think so and I'll tell you why I think this story is bull...the Manager does not choose the players or spend the money at this football club. Not only that, but it would not be in the best interests of the club to divulge that kind of information to the press. Nah, sorry to dampen the spirits, but this is pure speculation.

Actually only you and your friends that has claimed that to be the reason....

Could you be wrong (again)??

Actually, it's by far the most common reason given by people on all sides of the debate on this forum.

So just you wrong this time.

has anyone thought that the difficult financial situation might be ffp? cortese embarking on a reckless spending spree without generating revenue to match it, which might have left us in trouble for reasons other than insolvency.

maybe veho has a rich new shareholder and our sponsorship deal is better than we thought ;)

Notice everyone ignored this. If ITK on Veho it's an interesting insight. Thx.

So let's start with the assumption that the rag got this £50m figure from the Board at Saints. Not an outlandish suggestion right? However 48 hours ago (roughly) the Board were found out to be economical with the truth regarding player sales before a Manager was brought in.....

Haven't you caught on that RL played us good an proper and the board were left with nowhere to go? Better slated for being 'economical' than slaughtered for announcing "RL is an exception, of course". Me, after him tapping up/being tapped by Gerrard, I'd have made him put in a transfer request.

so should we believe (a) that Koeman is anywhere near being appointed and (b) that any appointment will be given £50m to play with? I don't think so and I'll tell you why I think this story is bull...the Manager does not choose the players or spend the money at this football club. Not only that, but it would not be in the best interests of the club to divulge that kind of information to the press. Nah, sorry to dampen the spirits, but this is pure speculation.

Absolutely, as is 100% of everything else you hear/speak/think about what is going on at Saints right now. Simple truth is that we won't get any news until there is news to give. Anything else is as would be spoken by an eighteenth century clergyman!

If we get Koeman,£50mill kitty and only SRL & Shaw leave I would say that is not too bad

I know SRL is a hero etc,but he would have no guarantee he would start next season when a new manager had put his stamp on the team.

And I think 99% of us are resigned to losing Shaw so losing those two are replaceable to a extent

Over the last few days I have read up on Koeman a bit more and the more I read the more I am convinced he would be a great fit for Southampton as he seems to share the same style/traits as us

Plus he was a seriously good player who could teach some of the kids a few thing

has anyone thought that the difficult financial situation might be ffp? cortese embarking on a reckless spending spree without generating revenue to match it, which might have left us in trouble for reasons other than insolvency.

Yes, that was my interpretation at the time. As you say, it wouldn't surprise me if the "financial difficulty" was more to do with 'commercial income vs expenditure' ratios than the sustainability of the expenditure per se.

Cortese voted against the FFP rules...can only be one reason why...he realised the **** was about to hit the fan given his apparent disregard for the commercial income side of things...

IMHO of course

Edited by trousers

If we get Koeman,£50mill kitty and only SRL & Shaw leave I would say that is not too bad

I know SRL is a hero etc,but he would have no guarantee he would start next season when a new manager had put his stamp on the team.

And I think 99% of us are resigned to losing Shaw so losing those two are replaceable to a extent

Over the last few days I have read up on Koeman a bit more and the more I read the more I am convinced he would be a great fit for Southampton as he seems to share the same style/traits as us

Plus he was a seriously good player who could teach some of the kids a few thing

My thoughts exactly. I think this would be a remarkably good outcome and would mean we can push on again.

This - 100%.

Koeman will be a superb fit for us. We will carry on as before playing good football - probably with a more attacking slant. And he did land at Soton airport yesterday - mate of mine reported it as well.

Shaw is gone - but up to 30m for a "non key position" is fantastic compensation. Easily replaceable. Not with someone as good, but as I said, LB is not a key position.

SRL - we are selling at just the right time (tho would have been nice after the WC). Again he is replaceable with someone much better. And with fear of getting shot down in flames, I am not convinced his form second half of the season was that good.

The critical one is Lallana. God I hope he stays - and if he did we will surely reap the benefits. But if not we will have to bite the bullet and get on with it. There are others out there - but he is the sort of player people pay money to watch.

Cork and Fonte should have already been offered contracts. Even if we buy suitable alternatives, they are both still quality premier league players (and Cork was

Not far off my top three man of the season last year - especially the last half season.)

There is an awful lot of doom and gloom about and we are rightly concerned - but to my mind, we are still not far from having a very good close season. If it all falls into place we can easily Improve on last season.

COYR!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This - 100%.

Koeman will be a superb fit for us. We will carry on as before playing good football - probably with a more attacking slant. And he did land at Soton airport yesterday - mate of mine reported it as well.

Shaw is gone - but up to 30m for a "non key position" is fantastic compensation. Easily replaceable. Not with someone as good, but as I said, LB is not a key position.

SRL - we are selling at just the right time (tho would have been nice after the WC). Again he is replaceable with someone much better. And with fear of getting shot down in flames, I am not convinced his form second half of the season was that good.

The critical one is Lallana. God I hope he stays - and if he did we will surely reap the benefits. But if not we will have to bite the bullet and get on with it. There are others out there - but he is the sort of player people pay money to watch.

Cork and Fonte should have already been offered contracts. Even if we buy suitable alternatives, they are both still quality premier league players (and Cork was

Not far off my top three man of the season last year - especially the last half season.)

There is an awful lot of doom and gloom about and we are rightly concerned - but to my mind, we are still not far from having a very good close season. If it all falls into place we can easily Improve on last season.

COYR!!

Good post mate.

This - 100%.

COYR!!

Good post mate.

Actually, it's by far the most common reason given by people on all sides of the debate on this forum.

So just you wrong this time.

If (and I say if) this thread would be correct, that would make all those people wrong I guess....

For me the reason has never been about money.

This - 100%.

COYR!!

Sounds good, but just wondering who would people prefer Koeman or FdB, whose name seems to have disappeared from any further links to us? FdB would be my preference and would be good for developing the youth I feel.

Sounds good, but just wondering who would people prefer Koeman or FdB, whose name seems to have disappeared from any further links to us? FdB would be my preference and would be good for developing the youth I feel.

Frank de Boer for me, but he isn't on offer. Koeman is a good replacement for Pochettino.

FRO (F**k Right off) - I have never criticized anyone on this board yet, but you are seriously tempting me!

Apologies Turkish - bad bad day yesterday, lot's of personal issues, but that is no excuse to abuse you. Don't agree with your view but that is no reason to resort to foul language. Sorry once again - you are perfectly entitled to your view, and for me to disagree, but in a respectful way.

Trust you can take it on the chin and move on? Abuse me as much as you like if it makes up for it?