A letter from Rickie

Jimmy_D

Already in the Rickie to Liverpool thread but it's fair to be on it's own rather then lost.

A fair statement from a modest man who is achieving everything he could have ever dreamt. We benefited massively from his time with us, just wish it could have been longer. He will always have my best wishes, hope to be able to buy him a drink sometime.

Already in the Rickie to Liverpool thread but it's fair to be on it's own rather then lost.

A fair statement from a modest man who is achieving everything he could have ever dreamt. We benefited massively from his time with us, just wish it could have been longer. He will always have my best wishes, hope to be able to buy him a drink sometime.

Well said! A true Club legend.

A great statement and you can tell it's from rickie and in general not a generic statement.

A day of mixed emotions, so sad to see the fella go like no other player in my supporting lifetime but he goes with my blessing - the legend of Sir Rickie Lambert and he'll still be a Saints player to me for the World Cup, all that influence will be our not Liverpools

Me too.....1st time since Marian Pahars' end of season lap of St Mary's

Yep happened to me too...found myself blubbing like a baby watching Matt watching his goal compilation at the end of his testimonial and I'm welling up as I write.:(

3 of the best...we were privileged to witness their massive contributions.

Note to Poch: that is how to write a farewell letter.

Goodbye Rickie, it is has been an absolute blast. Never been so happy and proud for one man as I was when he thumped in that goal vs. Scotland.

Always will be a Saints legend.

Ditto

Rickie Lambert has penned an open letter to all at Southampton Football Club following his move to Liverpool.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/02062014-rickie-lambert-open-letter-1592317.aspx

Good Luck Rickie, and most of all, thank you.

:(

Mr Moderator, isn't this already being discussed here: http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?50457-Lambert-joins-Liverpool#.U4xWOfldVh4

Just saying.....

Note to Poch: that is how to write a farewell letter.

Goodbye Rickie, it is has been an absolute blast. Never been so happy and proud for one man as I was when he thumped in that goal vs. Scotland.

Always will be a Saints legend.

This.

A little tear in my eye watching that 'thanks and farewell' compilation on Youtube last night and another today when reading Rickie's letter.

Truly comes across as a heartfelt outpouring from a humble, genuine guy. A Saints legend.

Don't think we will ever sign a player that will make such an instant and consistent impact as he did, and certainly not for £1m.

I don't think anybody (aside from the loons on here) has had a single bad word to say about him in the 5 years he was here, and that says it all really.

Although that miss at Sunderland....

One of our all time greats. If he had gone anywhere else I might have been a bit annoyed, but you can´t fault someone for wanting to fulfill his childhood dreams. He has done more than a fair shift for us.

Sure he will get a great reception next time he plays at St Marys. There is always the odd moron though.

TBF, I thought he was a bit past it anyway but the last 5 seasons have been amazing. One of the all time Saints legends.
Past it in what way? He finished the season playing some of the best football he has played in the 5 years he's been here.

Couldn't have put it better than this, a legend who has earned the title!

Good luck Rickie Lambert, thanks for everything!

Legend. Taking away all the emotions, I can just about see the sense in it. Although we will have a close to impossible time replacing for £4mil.

Cant remember ever being as gutted at a player leaving, would have loved to see him finish his career here but it wasn’t to be. As much as I hate Liverpool, I’d love to see him have one last bit of success and add a premier league medal to his name.

It's a shame he's gone. I know how all those Bristol fans felt 5 years ago now. Also reminded me of this video of his time there. Surprised someone like the Daily Mail hasn't pick up on the Air Guitar at the start.

After watching that vid years ago and seeing goal 2m 50 in I knew we were going to seeing some great goals.

In his long career, there will always be an acknowledgment from any commentator that it was Southampton that picked him up when he was in the doldrums of the third division, that we spotted his potential and nurtured it, to produce the player he is today. He was a rough diamond that needed polishing. He always had the ability, but lacked the self-belief, the fitness and desire. We gave him that, and he rewarded us with the performances and goals that propelled us and him into the Premier League. At every stage the doubters said that he wouldn't be able to play at the next level and every time he proved them wrong. Whenever he was compared to other strikers like Carroll, or Holt, we knew that he possessed the football brain that they didn't and that he brought other attributes to his game that many others did not have. Those attributes and his character and personality have driven him to the very pinnacle of the English game and he has been rewarded with his rightful place in the England World Cup squad, where I am sure he will distinguish himself further.

Liverpool is the one club that could have tempted him away from us and we couldn't deny him his childhood dream of one day playing for them. It is a fairy tale ending for the young lad released by them as not being good enough and fighting his way back to them. We are proud to have provided him with the platform enabling him to achieve that and wish him all the best with Liverpool.

I have been through my seven stages of emotion and I would now say this might be the best scenario - he is getting on a bit and his form will start to drop - supporters (used in its broadest possible sense) have already start to get on his back - it could have been a long painful decline from grace for both us and him - it is therefore fitting that he accomplished our 5 year plan together and left after a good season and playing in the world cup - I dont think I have ever seen a bad word written about him on any other forum and the shear look of joy on his face in an England shirt has given many non saints fans butterflies in their stomachs - He leaves on a high and will always be remembered that way

Thanks for the memories Rickie

Ditto. His modesty was the key characteristic of the man. Quite rare these days - most individuals in his line of work are so full of themselves.

A touch of class, but wouldn't expect anything less from this man. I want to say a huge thankyou, not just for what he has done for this club and country, but most importantly to me, being a role model to my son. If my son has half the dignity that Rickie has displayed at this club I will be a very proud man.

My son loves you, I love you we all love you Rickie.

Good luck mate, I wish you well........(just not against the Saints).

A touch of class, but wouldn't expect anything less from this man. I want to say a huge thankyou, not just for what he has done for this club and country, but most importantly to me, being a role model to my son. If my son has half the dignity that Rickie has displayed at this club I will be a very proud man.

My son loves you, I love you we all love you Rickie.

Good luck mate, I wish you well........(just not against the Saints).

Perfect summary - you don't normally associate Scousers with class, but has anyone ever left a club with more. Gutted he's gone, but can only wish him all the best.

I have been through my seven stages of emotion and I would now say this might be the best scenario - he is getting on a bit and his form will start to drop - supporters (used in its broadest possible sense) have already start to get on his back - it could have been a long painful decline from grace for both us and him - it is therefore fitting that he accomplished our 5 year plan together and left after a good season and playing in the world cup - I dont think I have ever seen a bad word written about him on any other forum and the shear look of joy on his face in an England shirt has given many non saints fans butterflies in their stomachs - He leaves on a high and will always be remembered that way

Thanks for the memories Rickie

Perfect. Exactly how I feel about it.

SRL is also one of the only modern players whom I'd ever believe to be sincere in anything they say about stuff like this. So his farewell letter means a lot. Will dearly miss his ultra honest, humble and adorable post-match interviews for saints.

Best Wishes Rickie! Watching you play football was a joy, I have been priviledged to see a Saints legend play football. I still remember after his goal for England against Scotland, the first game of the season was at West Brom, he scored a penalty and came straight over to the fans to celebrate. He knew we loved him and he loved us!

Disappointed that he didn't finish his career with but then again he went out on a high, scoring that lovely goal against Man U.

Nice statement from Rickie.

The guy has earned the title of Saints legend, as I doubt our rise would have been half as swift without his contributions. And he always handled himself in a way which showed him to be down to earth and a model pro.

This is the sort of guy young fans should look up to - worked his socks off, worked his way up and all of a sudden finds himself in the England world cup squad and at his boyhood club, which probably seemed impossible even a year ago.

I wish Rickie all the best. Very sad to see him go but delighted for the man himself.

I agree with BadgerBadger. I opened the link expecting to read something that someone else had written, but I could see Rickie's lips moving as he continually wiped non-existent sweat off his forehead and temple. :)

What we've experienced - and what fans of other clubs experienced after his England call up - was one of the precious few modern players who seem "just like us". He was almost more a fan than a player.

And it's that very dimension of Rickie's personality that makes me very happy for him even though I'm sad as hell that he's gone.

You are an absolute Legend Sir. I have been privileged in all the years that I have supported Saints to see many footballing Legends, Terry Paine, Mick Channon, Ron Davies, MLT to name but a few, don the red and white, but you are right up there with em all. Cheers Rickie, have a great World Cup and I look forward to your visit to SMS next season.

What a contrast to MP's letter. Open, heartfelt, passionate - and written by him. Thanks for the memories, Rickie, and good luck at Liverpool. Just don't take a penalty against us...