Chambers v Shaw - am I deluding myself...

Legod Second Coming

Having watched them both this season, I actually think Chambers is a better player than Shaw. And looks more likely to score more often (not his primary job, I know that).

Is this one of those 'media' things where they've seen one player, are all fawning over each other and have forgotten to look across the back line?

(Yes, I know Shaw is very good. I just happen to think Chambers is better).

Chambers very good but Shaw phenomenal.

Has never been mugged off defensively and has an extra gear going forward (maybe two) than Chambers.

His final ball will improve, but he has put loads of good crosses in last season, just often nobody in to score from 5 yards.

The good thing about this discussion is, they're both excellent so we're benefiting either way.

I think Chambers has the potential to be top draw, as already mentioned by Marino, Chambers will eventually make the move to Center Back... that I am sure of.

He reads the game better than Shaw IMHO & with his height & aerial presence he'd slot in well at the back.

Although he'd being asked to play right back at the moment, so you can compare them from a full back perspective, I think both their attributes are quiet different

I know lots of good players can't use both feet, but I hate it when Shaw tries and centres with the outside of his left foot because he really really can't use his right one.

Totally agree with this. Shaw's one-footedness drives me nuts.

Stilll he is a better overall fullback than Chambers because of the threat of his speed. Chambers is excellent though, as is Clyne.

I think Chambers was much better than Shaw in the first half of the season but Luke got a massive lift after the England cap and stepped it up in the last few months.

Considering his potential at centre back I'd be more upset losing Chambers than Shaw.

Depends what you want from a full-back ... for me Calum is technically better (better passer, crosser and better at the 'tippy tappy' ball retention in a tight space stuff). Luke is the better athlete - stronger, quicker, more direct etc.

All IMHO obviously but I think Luke is the better player at the moment because he is far more confident and generally makes better decisions ... if Chambers catches him up in this department then who knows?

Chambers is really good. Shaw is probably the best in his age group in his position in the world.

It's in no way whatsoever a slight on Chambers, but he just isn't up to Shaw's level. Not even close in my opinion.

Don't get why people talk about Shaw going forward, he gets in good places, but his end product isn't amazing (no great worry, the lad has loads of time to perfect that - I'm sure he will). What is most striking about Shaw is how resolute a defender he is at his age.

Chambers will be a very very good FB at Premiership, possibly International level. Shaw is going to be the next Ashley Cole, probably the best FB on the planet.

Clyne is the best of the three.

Shaw is more noticed because he's a leftie.

I don't really buy that. That never really applied to Left-Backs anyway, and hasn't really been the case for a few years now - since it became trendy to play players on the opposite flanks.

He's noticed because he is already a top-class Full-Back at 18.

His peers voted him the best in the league, was that because he was left-footed?

I really like Clyne, there's a strong debate to be had over who is better out of him and Chambers, but Shaw is 100% a level above the pair of them.

Shaw is very good, but to say that he 'has never been mugged off defensively' is just wrong. He was caught out quite a few times in the first half of the season- he benefitted from regular games this season and got better as the season went on. I agree that he's better than Chambers, but I can't help but wonder how much better Chambers would be if he got that much game time this season too.

Chambers very good but Shaw phenomenal.

Has never been mugged off defensively and has an extra gear going forward (maybe two) than Chambers.

His final ball will improve, but he has put loads of good crosses in last season, just often nobody in to score from 5 yards.

As good as Shaw is, there's one area he needs to improve on defensively; his positioning at the far post defending crosses. He was caught out a couple of times letting strikers get goal side and it happened again last night for England (albeit it was arguable more Smalling's error than Shaw's). He'll learn that as he progresses.

Chambers looks like he could be a very useful player in several positions. He could well play centre-half but equally he could go further forward as he has great technique and pace.

I can take losing Shaw if we keep Chambers.

Clyne is very good on the left and should be with the England squad now. How Roy overlooked Clyne this season I just don't know.

Must be a massive kick in the nuts seeing way would rather play milner out of position rather than yourself

Must be a massive kick in the nuts seeing way would rather play milner out of position rather than yourself

I think part of his problem was that he struggled to keep Chambers out of the team. I think he would have had a better chance if he was starting every week. Woy mentioned he was on the radar last September when Jay Rickie & Lallana got called up.

I know Milner wasn't a starter at City, but he has plenty of international experience (and to be fair, he has also been a member of 2 Premier League winning squads). I really don't think Milner is as bad as the kicking he gets, you know you're always going to get a decent shift out of him and he really isn't a fb.

If he was to leave City, and was willing to take a wage cut, I'd happily have him at Saints.

I'm not sure that the OP has the correct question.

Whether Shaw stays or goes, he is our first choice LB and definitely worth his place. (According to Roy Hodgson's judgement...There's only be one or two "Englishmen " in the Prem. who have a better claim).

The real question that comes to my mind is ........Chambers or Clyne, and I'm less sure about that right answer to that one.

as Roy's playing around with an experimental set-up (in Equador game)....I ask myself if Wanyama might not be the answer to our " extra CB " question ?

I think he has covered there on occasion (might be wrong on that one).

Don't think it's a long term solution, but could maybe do a job in an emergency

I think Chambers is the fastest of the three - he just has longer legs! He would be wasted at CB - maybe a wide midfielder. Even though he is the same age as Shaw he is behind him physically (Shaw is a Rooney-like phenomenon of a boy in a man's body) and he will look less coltish in the next year or two and I think he has the potential to be the best of the three.

Chamber Fonte Lovren at the back. Clyne and Shaw out wider. Koeman style.

I had much the same thought... With Yoshida as an alternative CB, at least until Chambers really grows into the role. Btw, I think Chambers played at CB before he got into to the first team at RB?

Chambers is quality. Surprised he's not been called up by the U21's.

I want Arsenal to wrap up the Serge Aurier deal ASAP so it'll hopefully lessen their interest in Chambers.

Read this earlier today...

"We could have brought Calum Chambers [to Toulon], who would have benefited from the experience, but the U19s had their qualifiers that week and we wanted them to have the best opportunity to qualify.

"But all of that age group are eligible for us next year so the likes of Calum, Jordon Ibe, Josh Murphy, Sam Gallagher and James Wilson and there will be competition for the lads who are here and those who are not here."

From: http://www.thefa.com/news/england/2014/jun/gareth-southgate-pleased-with-squad-depth-040614#qLlgmhJJR2rUIWr0.99