Saints Greatest ever XI - Goalkeeper Nominations.

Edmonton Saint

Did Shilton ever claim a corner. When we beat Coventry 8-2, he should have saved both goals [ both shots from over 30 yards]. When he was here he was well past his best.

Plus most of his time here he had a good defence, something Eric Martin seldom had in

his time at the club. I did see Shilton almost single handedly get Leicester a point here

in 1969, until Ron Davies powered a header past him in the last minute[ aged 19] and

he was great then.

Did Shilton ever claim a corner....

When he was here he was well past his best.

Plus most of his time here he had a good defence, something Eric Martin seldom had ...

I share your view of Shilton and that he had passed his 'best before date' when he joined us,as he had really peaked during his time at Forest.

However the facts don't really support us as he joined us in 1982,and 8 years later - having p!ssed off to Derby in between- he was still Englands No1 in the WC Semi-final team.Shilton is the greatest keeper to have played for us.

I never really took to Shilton,he was an England player who happened to play for Saints,rather than one of ourplayers who achieved greatness.If I were voting for my favourite GK,then Niemi,Flowers and Eric Martin would be well ahead.

Voting for a goalkeeper from a given season then it would be Niemi who played for us in 2002/3 - ie the triple save season vArsenal.That would match any single performance of any other keeper we have ever had.

John "Budgie" Burridge purely for the entertainment value of his warm up walking half way up the pitch on his hands

Agree with best entertainer as keeper was Budgie, followed by Brucie and, for his hairstyle alone, Eric Martin.

However best keeper by a mile was Shilts.

dexter blackstock, terry paine or cliff huxford!

Do you remember that 5 - 4 league cup game against Leeds? I seem to remember that we had Reynolds, Paine and Huxford in goal that evening!

Actually Reynolds wasn't in the same class as Shilton or Niemi but, whilst discussing great Saints' goalies, he is worth a mention.

i went to my first game in 1985 when i was 5 so dont have many memories of the team from that era....

my biggest memories start from the very late 80's/early 90's...

my team based on that....

--------------niemi

Dodd------killer-----richards---bridge

ekelund----le tiss---oakley----marsden

------beattie----pahars

manager - wgs

subs---flowers, hall, benali, crouch, shearer, danny wallace, hurlock

Greatest is very hard unless you've watched 60 or 70 years really.

So I've just gone for favourite, from my 15 years support.

-----------Niemi----------

Dodd Svensson Monkou Bridge

------Oakley----Marsden-----

Ekelund----Le Tissier----Pahars

-----------Beattie-------------

I go back 53 years of supporting and would agree on Le Tiss and Bridge out of that selection - I would have Niemi on the bench though...

To have any credibility at all, any greatest ever Saints' team has to include Paine, Channon and MLT.

Shilton had a damn good defence in front of him while Niemi had some ****e so I will give it closely to Niemi.

Shilton would command him defence better while Niemi would fling himself 30 yards to make a breathtaking save.

So thats why for entertainment factors.

did he...one season we had one of the meanest defence in the prem...something like 5th or 6th best....that is something...right?

Forgot The Great Tony Godfrey........Great Little Un..

Fab - I can still hear Cliff Huxford's husky call of "Goalie, goalie, goalie.." to Tony Godfrey when Knapp was going to head it whatever!

I can still remember one save of his when his arms seemed to suddenly grow an extra 12 inches** to hold a shot heading for his top right hand corner at the Archers Road end (before he was concussed against Derby County in a 6-4 win I think).

Those were the days, when goalies actually caught the ball.

** at first I said "grow an extra foot", but that looked a bit strange!

KD deserves a mention for this season

Beasent Deserves a mention for pure entertainment and toss a coin will he save or not

BUT THERE WAS ONLY 1 FLYING FINN gets the vote due to 2-2 draw at fulham when he saved Dodds back pass from top corner then set up killer to score

ANTTI NIEMI

i do not agree...it is an insult to mention kelvin and shilton/niemi/flowers in the same sentance

For a short period of time 1968 Gerry Gurr before he got injured.

I prefer Niemi to Shilton because I never saw Niemi make a mistake while Shilton was sometimes went missing at corners.

Surprised no one has mentioned Jonah (the keeper not the Lowe luvvie).:rolleyes:

Fratton Park, relegation season...

i do not agree...it is an insult to mention kelvin and shilton/niemi/flowers in the same sentance

Absolutely, when you look back through our history and all the fantastic keepers we have had, KD is probably one of the poorest long-term first choice keepers we have ever had. But then again the whole team is certainly the poorest since I started going 37 years ago.