Saints Greatest ever XI - Goalkeeper Nominations.

Edmonton Saint

To try and take away our minds from things, I thought I would organise something so we could all have our say and vote for Southamptons greatest ever team. Week by week we will vote for a different position until we have what we can call the Saints Web Greatest ever team, For ease of voting the team will be a standard 4-4-2 and cut off for voting is 7.00PM every Sunday.

Players can only be included once so whether Le Tissier is included as a midfielder or Striker is open to debate(or whether he is even included at all)

From Sunday until Tuesday you can use this thread to Nominate your favourite, then On Tuesdays the four with the most votes will then go into a poll where everybody can vote for their favourite, And closing time will be as above. So you have until Tuesday at 7.00pm to cast your votes for the Goalkeeper..

So to start things off, This week for we are voting for Saints greatest ever Goalkeeper.

Who gets your vote?

Edited by DarrenLeTiss

I didn't see Shilton play for Saints but I can't imagine how he could have been better than Antii.

Antii's performances for us were truly world class on many occasions and I don't think that can be said about too many Saints players in my time.

So that's another vote for Niemi then...

Shilton by a country mile.

Niemi (and Fowers) were also good, but here is a guy who got 125 caps for his country with 49 of them made whilst playing for us.

(Those 125 caps were also despite sharing the position with Clemence for most of the 70's, with Clemence also winning 61 caps).

Shilton's international career spanned 20 years!!!!

Edited by um pahars

I didn't see Shilton play for Saints but I can't imagine how he could have been better than Antii.

Shilts was one of the top 3 English goalkeepers ever to have played the game. He was world class for us, week in week out. Antii was fantastic, but not as good as Shilts, in my opinion..........

for those who didn't see him, to give you some idea

if KD is 5/10

Neimi 7/10

Shilton would be 10 -thats how good he was, Neimi was very very good but Shilton would make him look average.

I simply don't believe this and think it is actually quite laughable.

Sorry.

Clearly Shilton was good and arguably deserves to win this vote but to say he would make Niemi look average is surely to squint anemically through the rosiest of spectacles.

You could organise this into a series of threads whereby people nominate their entrants to a poll, and then we let the poll run for the next few days. Just a thought.

Shilton for me, without a doubt. For those that think I might not rate Niemi though, here would be my top 5 in descending order:

Shilton

Niemi

Turner

Flowers

Martin

You could organise this into a series of threads whereby people nominate their entrants to a poll, and then we let the poll run for the next few days. Just a thought.

Shilton for me, without a doubt. For those that think I might not rate Niemi though, here would be my top 5 in descending order:

Shilton

Niemi

Turner

Flowers

Martin

Yes I like that idea, We will get nominations in until Tuesday Evening, then the top 4 Nominations will go into a poll to decide the winner.

I simply don't believe this and think it is actually quite laughable.

Sorry.

Clearly Shilton was good and arguably deserves to win this vote but to say he would make Niemi look average is surely to squint anemically through the rosiest of spectacles.

Did you watch Shilton for us? Don't get me wrong, not for a minute saying Neimi is average - just think Shilton was class above. Neimi wasn't being recognised at the best in the division, where as Shilton was being recognised at arguably best in the world for his generation.

Did you watch Shilton for us? Don't get me wrong, not for a minute saying Neimi is average - just think Shilton was class above. Neimi wasn't being recognised at the best in the division, where as Shilton was being recognised at arguably best in the world for his generation.

Nick we dont agree on much but you have summed up Shilton perfectly.

Shilts I think holds the record for playing more games than any other player. His england caps is also a record I think.

11 different clubs

3 World Cups

2 European Cup finals

and of course Tina!

Well i've seen a fair few keepers, I have a soft spot for Budgie he was very capable and EXTREMELY fit. I'd see him working out down at the old Terry Morris gym in Bedford place after having spent the morning at Saints training.

Don't agree with the earlier comparison with Niemi being a 7/10 and Shilts a 10 there simply isn't that greater difference between top keepers performing at their best.

But i've no doubt in nominating Shilts, not just because he was England No1 at the time but because he was widely considered to be World numero uno and proved it time and time again.