So who was Saints best ever penalty taker

Fitzhugh Fella

Saints Best Ever Pen Taker  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Saints Best Ever Pen Taker

• Le Tissier
    • Lambert
    • David Peach

Was it MLT with his 47 out of 48 or was it SRL with 34 out of 34? Certainly no one else comes near. So if your life depended on a penalty being scored who would you pick?

SRL actually. Once you miss one there is always going to be that doubt. (If I had to pick)

Probably MLT overall for shurlock's reasons. Although Lambert's two at Millwall for example were pretty high pressure! We've had plenty of decent penalty takers over the years. Don't think Beattie, Pahars or Dodd ever missed one and they must have taken around 20 between them. Between 2005-2009 we missed a fair few (Quashie, McGoldrick, Rasiak and John spring to mind) though!

SRL actually. Once you miss one there is always going to be that doubt. (If I had to pick)

Was at the Forest game where he missed the pen (the follow-up was even worse). It didn't do anything to his confidence after that. Le Tiss was the last player in the world to dwell on anything -was the epitome of nonchalance and serenity- whereas I could see Lambo dwelling on a miss.

I'd take either, 81/82 is an astonishing conversion rate.

What's the 'average' conversion rate in the PL? It can't be above 90% can it?

FF, what's David Peach's record if you have it to hand?

I know Peach missed at least 2 in the 20 odd he took and Beattie had a 100% record but only 12

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

I'd take either, 81/82 is an astonishing conversion rate.

What's the 'average' conversion rate in the PL? It can't be above 90% can it?

FF, what's David Peach's record if you have it to hand?

now that's an interesting question. According to whatever record book you read.

David Peach (a left-sided defender, mostly playing at LB between 1973-1980) scored a total of 44 goals in 278 apps. Of those, 20 were "outfield goals and 24 were successful penalties (of 26) he missed 2.

Although it doesn't surpass either of the above, he does hold the FA record for highest number of penalty goals scored by a defender).

George O'Brien (leading goalscorer in the early 1960's) was a good penalty expert, but I don't have any stats. to hand. Terry Paine also took quite a few in his career, but didn't always score.

Was it MLT with his 47 out of 48 or was it SRL with 34 out of 34? Certainly no one else comes near. So if your life depended on a penalty being scored who would you pick?

what a good question that is. Both had a very easy manner of taking them.....MLT could place them to left and right, and Rickie just hits them as hard as he can off of a short run-up.

Statistically... MLT has scored more (but he was with us much longer). Rickie has a 100% record although he did admit (in interview ) that he had missed a couple in his earlier career before Saints.

I really don't care. You have to trust someone and I just loved seeing them do it in a Saints shirt. I hope that England can find 4 others (incl. RL) in case of one of those dreaded WC shoot-outs.

A tough one.

I'd go for MLT at the moment. But if Rickie puts away a penalty (or 2) at the world cup he might edge up

BTW I've decided that for the purposes of the World Cup that Rickie is still a Southampton player until 1st July.

Was at the Forest game where he missed the pen (the follow-up was even worse). It didn't do anything to his confidence after that. Le Tiss was the last player in the world to dwell on anything -was the epitome of nonchalance and serenity- whereas I could see Lambo dwelling on a miss.

Yeah I was at that game too. We lost 2-1 but our goal was one of MLT's classics if I recall. Sort of made up for the penalty miss.

For me 3 players completely stand out.

No 1 has to be Le Tiss as he took every one of his penalties in the top flight, 2nd is Ricky Lambert with his 100% record for us and 3rd is Beattie who scored 16 from 17 in the prem league (and I think had a 100% rate for us?).

We've been very blessed with the quality of our penalty takers over the last 25 years.

Question for the stattos;

Are Saints the most successful penalty takers in all leagues .....fook it Europe, over the last twenty years?

MLT and Sir Rickie with one miss between them - I think we must be close.

We had the gap and missed two in one game once, but even so, I think we must be the most successful penalty club in World

Edited by Gemmel

now that's an interesting question. According to whatever record book you read.

David Peach (a left-sided defender, mostly playing at LB between 1973-1980) scored a total of 44 goals in 278 apps. Of those, 20 were "outfield goals and 24 were successful penalties (of 26) he missed 2.

Although it doesn't surpass either of the above, he does hold the FA record for highest number of penalty goals scored by a defender).

George O'Brien (leading goalscorer in the early 1960's) was a good penalty expert, but I don't have any stats. to hand. Terry Paine also took quite a few in his career, but didn't always score.

George O'Brien[/b] (leading goalscorer in the early 1960's) was a good penalty expert, but I don't have any stats. to hand. Terry Paine also took quite a few in his career, but didn't always score.

I recall O'Brien missed one deliberately in the cup against a non league team (Hersham?) - we had already scored 6 and he seemed to think they had suffered enough so side footed it wide.

Paine missed two against Northampton but in each case scored from the rebound.

I won't be able to watch if Rickie takes one in the World Cup. I reckon all this never miss puts him under extra pressure & I would have such bad feels if he sky'd one :(

Yep, I’ve been worrying about this too Bear.

As to FF’s question, Le Tiss just ahead of SRL for me.