Liverpool FC. Is it time to stop any further deals?

SaintRobbie

OK we can all accept that a Liver bird tattooed Rickie Lambert, whose mum cried when she said he was going home to play for his home club, deserves a transfer home. He has shown loyalty and a genuine passion for the Saints. He deserves his place on the SaintsWeb forum banner. I don't begrudge him.

Perhaps we sold him for too little, but at the end of the day it's a reward for the loyalty he's shown and rewarding loyalty has to be a theme of our club. It should be part of "The Southampton Way", whatever that may be.

But, over the past couple of weeks it has become apparent that Liverpool have been seemingly tapping up our players on England duty, the Liverpool manager has been faxing at least one player with his best wishes on England selection (SRL). An ex Liverpool manager (Woy) has seemingly supported Liverpool's attempts to sign our England players - with an original pledge of no transfer talk in the camp becoming a statement of how deals should be done before the WC to a statement saying our players are bound to leave for (Liverpool) for money and Champions League football. Now Lovren may have put in for a transfer to Liverpool.

With reinforcement and a cracking manager we are challengers with our players to Liverpool. We are as close to them as ever, and as young across the board. They are potential rivals now.

Les Reed stated we were a top 20 Club in the world, looking to advance. You don't advance if you reinforce rivals.

For footballing sense and for the apparent underhandedness of Liverpool in tapping up our players and even playing the England manager like a kipper as well as trying to rip us off for our talent, I wonder if it's time to burn the Liverpool bridge.

Is it time to say we will no longer deal with Liverpool FC for the foreseeable future? Openly or in the Boardroom.

I guess many posters will be pragmatic, but what's the general view? After their actions - should we sell to Liverpool?

FWIW, I would sell any player who didn't want to be here - but I'd rather see them go where the bid was the highest than to Liverpool. Apart from Rickie Lambert, I am not seeing anyone else who has shown loyalty that deserves reciprocation.

Let's stop dealing with Liverpool.

Edited by SaintRobbie

Yep tell the theiving scousers to do one. I agree on the tapping up bit. It is too much of a coincidence that since being in the England squad suddenly AL and RL have or want to go there.I hope England fail dismally in the World Cup, f..k em. As for Lovren, I suspect AL has had a word with him too.

As much as we are weakened by Liverpool, we may go and do the same to the likes of Burnley. Anyway, If we stop Liverpool signing our players, they'll stop us signing theirs, and long term we'll benefit more from signing their players than they will ours. Besides I think it'd be nigh on impossible stopping Liverpool signing our cream, one way or another the players will get their wishes, and it'll be on bitter terms if we prove stubborn.

I want to keep our jewels as much as the next fan, but if they really want out, get rid for as much dosh as possible and let the manager go out and sign decent replacements.

In principle I do not have an issue with selling to Liverpool (or any other team seemingly a step up). However, the way in which they appear to be conducting their business leaves a bitter taste.

They are unsettling the players, whose head is turned, but the money on offer is quite frankly insulting. Our valuations are not being matched, and any chance we have of making the amount we are seeking will only be seen if Liverpool are successful in terms of trophies.

its cough up or move on to other targets for me.

This is not just limited to Saints. Liverpool's bid for Moreno from Seville has stalled for the very same reason. Liverpool are trying to bully clubs into accepting the offer on the table whilst serenading the players

does this mean the teams we want players off should say no to us?

Us plundering the likes of Burnley for the players they develop is absolutely fine. Just football.

It's only when we get plundered that it becomes how this is a disgrace what's the point of being a supporter it's all about the money these days greedy mercenary footballer scum what happened to loyalty this is all so unfair but by the way how much longer do I have to wait before I see Saints spending tens of millions of pounds on a new player or six this summer start spending now for the love of god sign someone for big money now now now.

No. But you make a good point. I am just sick to the teeth of Liverpools tactics.i think thefuriousb is spot on.

how did you feel about our tactics in league 1

how did bristol rover feel when we arrived and just signed their star player. to which they never recovered from and now out of the football league.

or just flashed the cash at colchester and signed their skipper.

OK we can all accept that a Liver bird tattooed Rickie Lambert, whose mum cried when she said he was going home to play for his home club, deserves a transfer home. He has shown loyalty and a genuine passion for the Saints. He deserves his place on the SaintsWeb forum banner. I don't begrudge him.

Perhaps we sold him for too little, but at the end of the day it's a reward for the loyalty he's shown and rewarding loyalty has to be a theme of our club. It should be part of "The Southampton Way", whatever that may be.

But, over the past couple of weeks it has become apparent that Liverpool have been seemingly tapping up our players on England duty, the Liverpool manager has been faxing at least one player with his best wishes on England selection (SRL). An ex Liverpool manager (Woy) has seemingly supported Liverpool's attempts to sign our England players - with an original pledge of no transfer talk in the camp becoming a statement of how deals should be done before the WC to a statement saying our players are bound to leave for (Liverpool) for money and Champions League football. Now Lovren may have put in for a transfer to Liverpool.

With reinforcement and a cracking manager we are challengers with our players to Liverpool. We are as close to them as ever, and as young across the board. They are potential rivals now.

Les Reed stated we were a top 20 Club in the world, looking to advance. You don't advance if you reinforce rivals.

For footballing sense and for the apparent underhandedness of Liverpool in tapping up our players and even playing the England manager like a kipper as well as trying to rip us off for our talent, I wonder if it's time to burn the Liverpool bridge.

Is it time to say we will no longer deal with Liverpool FC for the foreseeable future? Openly or in the Boardroom.

I guess many posters will be pragmatic, but what's the general view? After their actions - should we sell to Liverpool?

FWIW, I would sell any player who didn't want to be here - but I'd rather see them go where the bid was the highest than to Liverpool. Apart from Rickie Lambert, I am not seeing anyone else who has shown loyalty that deserves reciprocation.

And Tottenham....:x

how did you feel about our tactics in league 1

how did bristol rover feel when we arrived and just signed their star player. to which they never recovered from and now out of the football league.

or just flashed the cash at colchester and signed their skipper.

But we didn't buy the whole spine of a team and tap them up did we? We never wiped out a rival with cash. We bought individuals, we didn't attempt to bully a team by making those players demand a move to lower a price.

Liverpool are being unethical. Shame there is no such thing in the wonderful game anymore.

But we didn't buy the whole spine of a team and tap them up did we? We never wiped out a rival with cash. We bought individuals, we didn't attempt to bully a team by making those players demand a move to lower a price.

Liverpool are being unethical. Shame there is no such thing in the wonderful game.

lets see

Jaidi

Fonte

Hammond

Lambert

Harding

Richardson

Antonio

Waigo

Guly

puncheon

I would suggest we bought almost a new team

what about the feelings of those clubs we took them from?

I remember when Beattie was being openly courted by Villa. It got to the point where we would sell to anybody BUT Villa. Would be interesting if this was the case this season - who knows where they will really end up? Doesn't sound like the Scousers have actually got that huge a transfer budget and they're trying to stretch it rather farther than it will actually go (unless Suarez leaves). Anyway, it's not the same as us buying RL - we only bought 1 player from each club, not ripped the spine out of an entire club.

lets see

Jaidi

Fonte

Hammond

Lambert

Harding

Richardson

Antonio

Waigo

Guly

puncheon

I would suggest we bought almost a new team

what about the feelings of those clubs we took them from?

Are you simply making the fatuous point that most teams get their players from other teams?

The ground's shaking under my feet.

you said liverpool are being unethical

what is unethical bidding £25m for lallana?

What's ethical about buying all the best players from a rival and destroying your football challenger through cash and engineering disloyalty to a team. This is supposed to be a sport, but this is a failing of the Premier League. You should beat a rival on a pitch, not by wiping it off the map by using mind games and cash.

What's ethical about buying all the best players from a rival and destroying your football challenger through cash and engineering disloyalty to a team. This is supposed to be a sport, but this is a failing of the Premier League. You should beat a rival on a pitch, not by wiping it off the map by using mind games and cash.

Step 1 in Liverpool's plan for Premier League success; wipe Southampton FC off the map.

I remember when Beattie was being openly courted by Villa. It got to the point where we would sell to anybody BUT Villa. Would be interesting if this was the case this season - who knows where they will really end up? Doesn't sound like the Scousers have actually got that huge a transfer budget and they're trying to stretch it rather farther than it will actually go (unless Suarez leaves). Anyway, it's not the same as us buying RL - we only bought 1 player from each club, not ripped the spine out of an entire club.

Liverpool have X million in transfer budget from being in the CL.

The PROBLEM they have is that they need to sign players to COMPETE in the CL, BUT they will not get any MONEY to pay for then until over the course of NEXT season.

Hence they are trying to rip everyone off with add ons.

#cashflowproblems

they want our players as they are f-ing good.

like we seem to dip in burnleys well

fox, jrod, cork (indirectly) and seemingly targeting ings

they want our players as they are f-ing good.

like we seem to dip in burnleys well

fox, jrod, cork (indirectly) and seemingly targeting ings

I think you're clutching at straws there. Did we tap them up? Did we do it all at once? Are we in for Ings? Cork???!

There is a difference here. Liverpool have shown a lack of integrity. Well organised I grant you. But manipulative and opportunistic. What's more, manipulative through the England team. Somewhere that should be above this sort of thing.

If there's one club we should stand up to after their tactics to rip us off it is Liverpool.

It's not the fact they want some of our players. That's perfectly understandable. It's the way they have gone about it that grates slightly.

Either negotiate a fee in private or pay the asking price. unsettling them in the manner they have is a pretty poor way to behave and shouldn't be tolerated. It's perfectly obvious they're trying to get players to put pressure on the board to accept offers that are falling short of our valuations, and are doing it as publicly as possible, particularly with their "take it or leave it" off for Lallana which they leaked to the press.

I don't recollect us going about our transfer dealings like this and if we have then I'd find it equally bad form

Yeah, you can never improve your side by buying players from teams below you.

Id understand 1 player, but they seem to want 3 or 4 of our players. They finished 6 places and 30 points ahead of us. Would be like us wanting loads of Sunderland players to help us kick on.

Id understand 1 player, but they seem to want 3 or 4 of our players. They finished 6 places and 30 points ahead of us. Would be like us wanting loads of Sunderland players to help us kick on.

I would take any number of Sunderland players for depth as Liverpool did with Lambert.

Otherwise how many of Sunderland's team could walk straight into our first XI as some of our players could with Liverpool?

Us plundering the likes of Burnley for the players they develop is absolutely fine. Just football.

It's only when we get plundered that it becomes how this is a disgrace what's the point of being a supporter it's all about the money these days greedy mercenary footballer scum what happened to loyalty this is all so unfair but by the way how much longer do I have to wait before I see Saints spending tens of millions of pounds on a new player or six this summer start spending now for the love of god sign someone for big money now now now.

Its not the same though is it? I don't recall months of articles and interviews with Southampton old boys commenting on how Jay Rodriguez would be perfect for us in a blatent attempt to unsettle him and then drive his price down as he pushes for the move himself. We submitted a bid to Burnley which they felt was acceptable, agreed personal terms and then signed him. Liverpool are not conducting themselves in the same fashion.

Its not the same though is it? I don't recall months of articles and interviews with Southampton old boys commenting on how Jay Rodriguez would be perfect for us in a blatent attempt to unsettle him and then drive his price down as he pushes for the move himself. We submitted a bid to Burnley which they felt was acceptable, agreed personal terms and then signed him. Liverpool are not conducting themselves in the same fashion.

I really don't think the average football fan would have had the slightest shred of interest in reading about how a newly promoted team was interested in signing a Championship striker.

Liverpool, on the other hand, are one of the biggest clubs in the world. Funnily enough they tend to get their every move analysed.

Interesting how there are so many who pine after the "vision" of being top four, but seem incapable of understanding the kind of sh it that goes with that territory. Last summer there was an article or two about how Suarez might just be a good fit for Arsenal.

This is the big league now.

delldays/batman - you really are coming across as a bit of a plank. No-one is saying buying and selling players is wrong or won't happen....what is wrong is that stories keep appearing in the press and "final offers", etc: when it appears Liverpool have offered a derisory (in todays market) 15 million for Lallana and a raft of add ons that will never be met.

Scouse gits are trying to do it on the cheap.

Let's sell to Liverpool or any club who wants to buy our players provided that the we are happy to sell them, that the players want to leave and then we only sell them for astronomical fees, money up front, or nothing. Re-investing that money wisely in replacements ought to ensure that we are at least as strong if not stronger than we started.

It's a shame that the products of our academy are being courted in this way, but it is a clear sign that we are able to produce the very best players and there is no reason that we cannot continue to do so. There will come a time when these youngsters realise that their colleagues who left for the so called big clubs will spend less time playing for them than they would have with us, and sooner or later if we keep the team strong with good players bought in, we will ourselves become good enough to keep them.

But why don't we make the point through the media that we have half a team that is better than much of Liverpool's and Manchester United's, or else why would they be wishing to take so many of our players? There should be an element of us crowing about these players, cheeekily asking whether they can afford them and questioning why these so called top clubs cannot produce their own players to this standard.

As long as we screw a lot more than the players are worth to us from Liverpool that's fine by me. Liverpool however can't afford what we want so the players may well stay. Or if they don't we can laugh all the way to the bank. Carry on tapping.

Said with Passion Saint Robbie, but I am afraid it will not work, whilst I agree with much of what you say I am afraid some kind of embargo not to deal with Liverpool would never happen, we as you said have the "Southampton Way" whilst the top 6-7 in the premiership use the "cheque book way" to win trophies and championships. In my opinion those clubs are in fact deluding themselves and simply purchasing the silver ware, Southampton could also be accused of this to some level whilst climbing out of the League 1 and the championship, however, I feel we have redeemed ourselves by showing what can be done with a well run academy and bringing those players into the premier league; I would add that I do believe something needs to be done as far as the likes of Liverpool coming in and possibly purchasing three of our best players, this though has to come down from the F.A. or even F.I.F.A. under perhaps an amendment to the financial fair play rules; as Liverpool are clearly demonstrating that Southampton are a possible threat to a top six position, and therefore by combining there status and financial muscle they are in affect possibly removing a threat to there own status.