David Bentley- A cautionary tale Adam

Dublin Saint

Just read that David Bentley has retired.

The story is: Young talented footballer finds his career at a so called smaller club, Blackburn. Plays ok and steadily improves, has one good season for Blackburn, gets capped by England and heralded by the media. A bigger club comes knocking in the shape of Spurs, Bentley gets his wish and moves. He has sporadic good games, the odd great goal, falls out of favour, loaned to various clubs including back to Blackburn and plays even less. He gets released at 28 and ends up retired at 29.

So the grass isn't always greener.

FWIW, I believe Lallana is a much better player than Bentley ever was and I just hope we keep him.

Happens all the time.

Stevie Williams made totally the wrong move and Kevin Davies became a bit of a laughing stock at Blackburn. James BT never really did much and lawrie and Bally both messed up their managerial careers.

I personally think Adam will struggle early doors, what with the WC and the nature of the transfer saga. Will he be a Henderson who turns it round or a Downing who sinks. He's got the ability to win them over, but a Suarez less Liverpool could do a man utd and seriously start poorly. They had a unique set of circumstances last season , no cl, a poor utd side and Chelsea having no decent forward. This season will be tougher for them. He could become a scapegoat.

I was thinking a while back.....how many players over the years, have left Saints and gone on to be a real success elsewhere? In recent times, Bale obviously is the main one. Shearer did. Ox can be considered to be a success. Theo....hmmm, probably but only just.

I think the price tag in this case will be a potential millstone, and Lallana is the sort of player that needs backing from the fans and games - a dip in form up there and he'll get neither! If we get an upgrade manager, buy well, and keep the forward momentum we have an outside chance of finishing above Liverpool and Spurs next season, which would be excellent...

It was very sad hearing Bentley talk to H & J on Talk****e. From what he said and the tone of his voice I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was suffering from Depression. It wasn't comfortable to listen to.

Thats sad and would make sense. There has clearly been more going on with him than just a bad career move.

Thats sad and would make sense. There has clearly been more going on with him than just a bad career move.

What Alpine said about being too tired also ties in with it. Stan Collymore can't be the only footballer to suffer from this utterly debilitating mental illness. I'm only going from personal experience and it IS just a guess, but it looks and sounds like it to me. If it is the case then I have EVERY sympathy for him.

What Alpine said about being too tired also ties in with it. Stan Collymore can't be the only footballer to suffer from this utterly debilitating mental illness. I'm only going from personal experience and it IS just a guess, but it looks and sounds like it to me. If it is the case then I have EVERY sympathy for him.

It was quite a long time ago. Has he had depression issues since childhood ? Then he would have my sympathy too.

Otherwise I am struggling to understand why tons of money and non-stop knobbing of sexy birds is cause for depression.

It was quite a long time ago. Has he had depression issues since childhood ? Then he would have my sympathy too.

Otherwise I am struggling to understand why tons of money and non-stop knobbing of sexy birds is cause for depression.

Unfortunately Alpine, you have just demonstrated why suffering from depression is so hard. Depression is an illness, same as any other, in this case a chemical imbalance in the brain's neurotransmitters. It is often carried genetically and can last a lifetime, going in and out of remission.

You wouldn't criticise a cancer patient for having a visually unattractive tumor. Likewise you probably shouldn't criticise a sufferer of depression for being miserable or acting in a socially disagreeable manner. It's just a symptom , plain and simple.

Money, birds, fast cars, status are irrelevant, same as they would be for any other serious illness.

Anyway, I hopes he's ok.

I'm sorry Alps but this comment really does display how much of a massive w&nker you are