Would Koeman be an upgrade on MP

Ashley Grute

OK- I like the idea of Koeman and feel he is the big name the club needs but I don't really know enough about him. Does anyone think he is an upgrade on MP or are we all in the position where we won't know until part way through the season- what are your thoughts?

OK- I like the idea of Koeman and feel he is the big name the club needs but I don't really know enough about him. Does anyone think he is an upgrade on MP or are we all in the position where we won't know until part way through the season- what are your thoughts?

I know for a fact right now that he will definitely be better than any other manager that we have ever had.

I guess we'll know by Christmas but he based on his record it sounds like he plays attacking football and values Cup competitions so if he can come in and quickly recognise that our backup goalkeeping and centre half cover are rubbish then the answer should be yes

You'll never know until you try, at least he might be a big enough name to stem any exodous.

Besides which if he comes we'll have

incharge.

Jumpers for goal posts, rolling the ball into dung and then going for the header,mmm? Marvellous.

Now that's the kind of team talk that should do it.

As someone else said, it feels like when Swansea followed Brendan Rogers with Laudrup. Maybe he'll prove to be a less gifted coach but he's a big name and in the short term might inspire the lads to something special. Win a cup or something pls!

Of course Koeman would be an upgrade on Pochettino. Hardly anybody in English football had even heard of Pochettino before he came here. Even as a footballer he was better known than the Argentinian Centre Back.

His managerial record is vastly superior to Poch's too. Whether that all translates into him bringing better success to the club remains to be seen. But if we do get him, it be seen as us putting down a significant marker to our ambitions.

You don't know he is a step up.

Besides, if in two years he has done well, he will also move to a bigger club, its how it works.

The OP asked if Koeman would be an upgrade on Pochettino. Of course, until he is appointed and has a record for managing us over a similar period, then it is impossible to say. Therefore it is opinions about the perception of both managers that are being sought. In that respect, there will be very few who could realistically feel with much justification that Pochettino is anywhere near the same standard of manager as Koeman at the moment.

How is Koeman not an upgrade to MoPo?

Spurs fans will be gutted when they find out!

How is he an upgrade at this stage when he hasnt managed us yet? MP was doing a fine job. Spurs could have gone for Koeman if they wanted to, if he is clearly superior.

Koeman hopefully will do a great job but it ****s me off how as soon as someone leaves their achievements are played down.

MP got us playing the best footy Ive seen at Saints in 20 years and will be a bloody hard act to follow, with quite possibly a lesser squad.

If Koeman can get us in the top half he will have done superbly.

Finally - the stats are largely irrelevant as Koeman has always managed big teams in small leagues so his win percentages will always be better than MPs has been. I would put a lot of money on Koeman's Saints win percent being the amongst the lowest of his career, but he could still be doing a superb job, as MP did. Realistically, any top flight Saints Manager who wins approx 40% of games over a decent period has done an absolutely top job.

Edited by Saint Charlie

He's coming to manage us, not play for us, sunshine.

Right here, right now, I'd rather we had kept MP, so no he's not an upgrade.

Does he have the potential to do very well? Yes. But that's far from a banker.

Chances are we may need quite a few transfers to put together a strong team next season. Koeman has the 'name' in world football to attract them.

I wonder if something he asked for when sorting out personal terms was more freedom in the transfer market to make his own decisions, rather than having a comittee to all decide which player to sign. Purely speculation of course, but if I were a manager, I'd like to know the players I wanted that I were going to manage were the ones at the club. I'm sure Pochettino had his say in the transfers we made under him, but I wonder exactly how much of a say that was...

Either way I think Koeman is a top appointment, even if it's for the short term before he does a Hoddle, ressurects his career and ends up at Spurs (!). He's the right man to rebuild the team if the jewels do leave, and could even be the right man to persuade those jewels to stay.

He was Van Gaal's assistant at Barcelona too, so not only are the links good for us with other teams, it'll also make the Man Utd v Saints games more interesting!

A step up after Pochettino - and hopefully a bit more decent and loyal.

I don't get the whole hatred for MP for being "disloyal". Nigel Adkins was supposedly committed to Scunny till we came along and then he dicthed them at the first chance he got. Which makes Nige better than Poch, how? I know you didn't say anything about Adkins, but have seen a few "Nigel wouldn't have ditched us" posts on here.

If Koeman does really well here (assuming he comes), gets us higher in the league and wins a trophy or two then big clubs will start coming in for him. And he will probably go. It's just how the football food chain works.

I don't have any bitterness about MP leaving to take the Spurs job, it was more the way he left than actually leaving. If he'd come out a day or so after the last game and said he was going, resigned properly and been instated as Spurs manager a few weeks later, I'd have thanked him and wished him well.

Allow me to sum this Fred up in a song:

That's why Saints beat Tottenham,

That's what's it's like to feel sore,

We sign Koeman yids sign Pottechino, Pottechino.

:)

Edited by SaintRobbie
Prime Minister said I could use the term 'yids'

He's coming to manage us, not play for us, sunshine.

Right here, right now, I'd rather we had kept MP, so no he's not an upgrade.

Does he have the potential to do very well? Yes. But that's far from a banker.

He wants to be a Saint. That's good enough comparison for me.... sunshine ;)

I don't get the whole hatred for MP for being "disloyal". Nigel Adkins was supposedly committed to Scunny till we came along and then he dicthed them at the first chance he got. Which makes Nige better than Poch, how? I know you didn't say anything about Adkins, but have seen a few "Nigel wouldn't have ditched us" posts on here.

If Koeman does really well here (assuming he comes), gets us higher in the league and wins a trophy or two then big clubs will start coming in for him. And he will probably go. It's just how the football food chain works.

I don't have any bitterness about MP leaving to take the Spurs job, it was more the way he left than actually leaving. If he'd come out a day or so after the last game and said he was going, resigned properly and been instated as Spurs manager a few weeks later, I'd have thanked him and wished him well.

Adkins managed his departure from Scunny better than MP managed his departure from Saints. Lambert managed his departure from Saints better than MP did.

It's how it is done, not the fact that it is done.

Nice try at slating Nigel but utterly unfounded.

I recently read, I think it was in Voetbal International, that van der Vaart, Wesley Sneijder and Ibrahimovitch said that when they were at Ajax under Koeman, the had conflicts with him, but now they know that with him they learned the most.

He is also very much respected by the Feyenoord players.

So given the choice between the opinion of posters in this forum and that of top players that played under his rule it is a no brainer.

He was Van Gaal's assistant at Barcelona too, so not only are the links good for us with other teams, it'll also make the Man Utd v Saints games more interesting!

I heard from a dutch reporter on Talksport the other day that Van Gaal and Koeman don't get on at all. Extra spicy for the Utd game then. :twisted:

I don't normally get the hump about this kind of thing, but with Pochettino you never felt that he really had any affection for Saints, it just seemed to be about getting the results to enhance his career. Never clapped the away fans, I remeber at Fulham last season he didn't even look up at us as he left the pitch, walking straight past us. Just seemed arrogant.

Hopefully Koeman can build a stronger bond with the club and fans.

I used to hate Koeman for that goal (he should never have been on the pitch etc) and feel sorry for MoPo (it was a dive etc). But that was all twisted anyway.

I have spent the last couple if weeks twisting it back (just in case RK turned out to be true). All bent out if shape now, but yes; RK looks to be an improved appointment compared to MP.

Edited by Polaroid Saint

I rarely post on this site but have enjoyed reading it over the years. But having just read RKs profile on wiki I must admit I am left a little deflated at his managerial career so far SOMEONE please cheer me up and tell me how amazing he will be for the club because it's not what I've just read. Is it emperors new clothes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Koeman

I rarely post on this site but have enjoyed reading it over the years. But having just read RKs profile on wiki I must admit I am left a little deflated at his managerial career so far SOMEONE please cheer me up and tell me how amazing he will be for the club because it's not what I've just read. Is it emperors new clothes?

Amazing? You are setting the bar way too high!! He is a very good appointment for us IMO, probably better than our status at the moment. Look at the wider picture, the board are clearly not giving up on any idea of us improving in the future. :)

How did you feel about a man who had been sacked by Espanyol at the foot of La Liga?

If all is looking gloomy in the world, follow the following steps for koeman-happiness

1. If you like your managers to come from an impressive playing background, look no further than our Ronnie's playing stats. 200 goals in 600 games, all for a central defender and at top teams ain't bad. Ignore Groningen if that helps.

2. If a managerial cv is more important to you, simply ignore the wordy bits that go on about sackings and short-term tenures and look at the numbers instead. Conveniently skipping over his time at Valencia, you'll see his win percentages are impressive by anyone's standards.

3. If you're still feeling glum, check out pochettino's stats instead. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauricio_Pochettino. Pochettino: who he?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who knows. Only time will tell. On paper he certainly looks like an upgrade but after hearing the opinion of 8 or 9 Dutch supporters last night, I really don't know. I was very surprised to hear them say they felt that he'd struggle in England.

I won't be disappointed if he's confirmed as our new manager provided he brings some stability and develops some of the youth team with a view to us keeping them rather than selling them off after one successful season.

What "amazing" manager were you expecting?

Who the f**k did you expect?