England v Uruguay

Batman

Can see us winning this one. Thought we were unlucky not to get a point against Italy

I would seriously consider dropping Rooney and probably Welbeck

but Rooney, how much longer can he be picked and not delivering.

On the radio now, they are saying he cant be dropped as he was the top goal scorer in qualifying etc.

but only 5 goals (for England) have been against the current top 20 side in world football

That was a slant against crouch, that he only scored against the lesser sides.

Edited by Batman

Rooney would be much more effective if he wasn't played out of position.

They'd be better off putting Lallana on the left.

it is something we seem intent on doing as a nation

not picking the best side for the formation. The old gerrard/lampard thing that never worked and then putting scholes in on the left

it is something we seem intent on doing as a nation

not picking the best side for the formation. The old gerrard/lampard thing that never worked and then putting scholes in on the left

This was criminal. One of the best central midfielders globally in the past 20 years and forced out wide to accommodate two lesser players, FFS. Still winds me up. No wonder the guy stop playing for England.

Too many times the players determine the formation. Rather than the formation determining the players. We could take a leaf out of France's book. Sagna and Giroud both on the bench yesterday. If it were England we would probably have Giroud on the wing or Benzema. With Sagna at left back!

Can see us winning this one. Thought we were unlucky not to get a point against Italy

I would seriously consider dropping Rooney and probably Welbeck

but Rooney, how much longer can he be picked and not delivering.

On the radio now, they are saying he cant be dropped as he was the top goal scorer in qualifying etc.

but only 5 goals (for England) have been against the current top 20 side in world football

That was a slant against crouch, that he only scored against the lesser sides.

Bit harsh on Welbeck, I am by no means a fan but thought he had a good game. As a front four I would go with:

Lallana-----Sterling-----Welbeck

-------------Sturridge------------

Options from the bench would be Ox, Barkley and Lambert. Rooney can go home!

I would play some 4-3-3 cos that's my favourite for England, i thought they done good playing 4-3-3 in the qualifying!

-------------------HART

G.NEVILLE---CAHILL---JAGIELKA---SHAW

---BARKLEY---MILNERS---LALLANAS

---WELLBZ!---STURRIDGE---STERLING

Edited by Bearsy
decided to give barclays a go

I thought Uruguay were suspect at the back in qualifying (partly why they only made it via a play off match) but even before Costa Rica scored their back 5/6 looked awful the other night. Time for us to come good and actually score a few. Suarez a danger of course but surely not match fit?

^ serious question who is doing the tackling or protecting our not so great back four? That team has Keegan's Newcastle writ large across it!

I thought Uruguay were suspect at the back in qualifying (partly why they only made it via a play off match) but even before Costa Rica scored their back 5/6 looked awful the other night. Time for us to come good and actually score a few. Suarez a danger of course but surely not match fit?

Agree they looked well ropey at the back and we looked strong going forward so should be a perfect match up, sadly Roy won't drop Rooney or move him centrally so we will still be a round peg in a square hole.

No way Suarez is fit, for me he is risking his career much like Delgado did after a similar knee op if I was a Liverpool fan I'd be worried as that 90 million quids worth of gamble!

I lost my entire twelve months winnings plus about £350 on the england v italy result so that was something of a calamity. Was up several hundred on the WC then BOOM England decided to be useless on me....i know- not as if england don't do this every tournament but I think I was genuinely unlucky though as England really did deserve a draw at least v Italy. If the match was replayed ten times i don't think Italy win more than 3 or 4 with the rest England or a draw. Ho hum. I'm now in deficit and this next match with Uruguay will be a chance to fightback ( after some little follow up wins with France and some other WC games recouped me £50 or so..mere morsels compared to the beating i took though..).

I think the double chance England to win and/or the draw is nailed on (once again). But im strongly confident of the win as well. Uruguay lack Italian defensive and offensive flexibility and in Lugano have an obvious weak spot. The attack does not frighten me with or without Suarez, who even if plays will not be match fit - and at this tournament fitness is essential....As long as we play like we did against italy we will be fine. Uruguay do not have a pirlo and de rossi combo. Id pick same team minus Henderson for Adz, put ronney central and let sterling and adz and welbeck and sturridge rotate around around him. 3-0 England.

Oh- my betting credential's for the last last twelve months - a five figure amount staked and up until England my net return was 3.3% on all bets, and that was on over 570 separate, small (all mostly under £50) bets- up until my very very large Eng bet! The Gods of betting taught me something there! Level stakes level stakes ..... I'm not a professional but my win percentage is pretty good (imo) nor am I an addict , I genuinely like working out whats going to happen or not happen in footy ( nothing else) then proving myself right (or wrong) by getting monetary feedback. Just adds edge to me. Double chance eng/draw will be odds on but if Uruguay score first im piling in on it for sure....

Edited by Giordano

Why not throw Shaw in?

All the talk about experience, but this is Baines first ever WC - and a good player that he is, he's never quite convinced me at international level. so he's not exactly got experience either. We saw it with Italy and Darmian - had a fantastic debut. So throw Shaw in, one of the hottest young properties in the world.

Stick Lallana in front of him and he'd have the cover.

-------------------HART

JOHNSON---CAHILL---JAGIELKA---BAINES

----------HENDERSON---GERRARD

WELBECK----------------------------LALLANA

--------------------STERLING

--------------------STURRIDGE

Barkley as an impact player for Sterling (as per Italy the game), Rooney as a substitute for any attacking position - it seems that when it comes to the England team, Rooney is a jack of all trades, master of none.

We have no wingers in the squad. At all. So why are we insisting on a 4-2-3-1? I'd play a diamond, that way you can play three fairly central and get the best out of Rooney, wellbeck, Sturridge, sterling, Barkley or ads, whoever you pick. My team would be

Hart

Clyne (ok, too late now so Johnson) jagielka Cahill shaw

Henderson gerrard ox (or milliner if not fit - can't believe I'm saying that but he'd do a better job than wilshere IMHO)

Sterling

Rooney Sturridge

Nah play Rooney from the start, don't even think of Subbing him til at least 85minutes despite being 3-1 down, get sent home and just maybe the media (Rio aside) will wake up to the fact that Rooneys star quality is dimming........... Which is something most real football fans knew some time ago................. England managers also need to grow a pair and pick who is going to get the job done not 10 players and one stroppy passenger.

Otherwise:

Just need Costa Rica to spank the Macaronis in the 5pm game to add a bit of Chilli spice to the mix :D

You don't leave your best player out of the team if you've any hopes of succeeding in the competition. Brazil wouldn't leave out Naymar, Argentina wouldn't drop Messi. So what was Hodgson thinking not starting Lallana against Italy?

Pick your best players Roy, that'll help you win games.

Lallana might struggle out there, he has been used to having better players around him.

Maybe give Rickie an hour to create chances for people, then bring on some pace?

I heard football expert and Chelsea fan Alec Stewart making the case for Ashley Cole at left back because he is a better defender...

Baines and Shaw have shown that they are better than him over a season.

Lack of cover in front would expose any of the three.

Stick to cricket mate.

Same team and formation, with Shaw for Baines and Lallana for Rooney. (sounds biased coming from a Saints fan of course!) If we play like we did against Italy, but improve it by dropping our two poorest players, we'll win it .

A draw would probably be ok but I would like Costa Rica to try and get at least a point against Italy so they won't take their foot off the pedal against Uruguay, if Italy get to 6 points I can see them relaxing a bit in their last game.

A win for England, draw for Costa and the final games will be well exciting!

I would stick Rooney in the middle and Sterling out right cutting in, unlike Rooney he can play anywhere. Tempted to say get Shaw in there to run at the Uruguayans back line as I think he could terrorise them a bit more with his pace. If Suarez does start then stick someone on him and knacker him out and frustrate him.

Looking forward to this game more than other England games in recent history.

Roy will bottle it and Rooney will play and probably in the 10 position. Sterling wide right is not as effective as in the 10 where he should be. Wellbeck will play left so Johnson gets exposed. Cannot see anything other than at best a draw but want to be proven wrong.

Please god (if there is one) deliver a 5-0 to Uruguay with Gaston hat-trick and Suarez 2.

Scottish?

You have to admire the Uruguayans tbf - half the size of Scotland and won two World Cup finals.

I shall be putting that admiration to one side on Thursday in the hope of smashing them to pieces (tho' not overly optimistic!).

You have to admire the Uruguayans tbf - half the size of Scotland and won two World Cup finals.

I shall be putting that admiration to one side on Thursday in the hope of smashing them to pieces (tho' not overly optimistic!).

Sorry but I wont, hate the whole England setup only there to tap up players for the so-called big clubs.

Go on Uruguay beat the useless bunch and show the world that Rooney et al would never get into a Germany, Holland, Italy team.

Sorry but I wont, hate the whole England setup only there to tap up players for the so-called big clubs.

Go on Uruguay beat the useless bunch and show the world that Rooney et al would never get into a Germany, Holland, Italy team.

There is always top drawer comedy to be found on this forum.

There is an element of cruelty in laughing at chaps like this but it's hard to resist.

Wahhh Wahhh I hate England honest I do.

Woy is going to give in to Rooney's foot-stamping and the media howling from Rooney's buddies and play him central at the cost of someone much more likely to do Uruguay damage

He will still do f**k-all

England will crash out

Hodgson will go.

Which, lets remember is exactly what you "so want" to happen, remember?

So don't go complaining now, will you?

Thank fook you live in Canada then.

My post infers neither pleasure or displeasure should such events transpire.

Get a grip u big girls blouse

You did say recently that you wanted England to lose.

For what it's worth, I agree with your previous post. Rooney should be dropped.

Hart

Johnson - Jagielka - Cahill - Baines

Henderson - Gerrard

Sterling - Rooney - Lallana

Sturridge

That's the team I'd like to see, don't think Barkley is a starter yet. To be fair Welbeck played pretty well the other night but I think Lallana brings just as much defensively but adds a bit more invention going forward.

That also leaves plenty of pace on the bench in Barkley and AOC.

Start Lambert and Lallana over Rooney and Wellbeck - they've been playing together for years, they know each other's games inside out, I'd love to see Lallana crossing for a Lambert back post header. It's worked about a million times before, why not now?