England National Anthem

9-3

You boys think you've got problems - spot the nationalists in the NI team during GSTQ! There is a train of thought that a new Sporting Anthem is required and that if England were to ditch GSTQ it might make it easier for us to do so. It's the one major contentious issue we've got. (Aside from the beggars down south stealing our players of course.)

gstq.jpg

It just a family song of a bunch of ****s from Windsor.

What is far worse than the players mumbling is the fans singing it during the match.

Lol - many sounding like scousers or Celtic fans. Republican cvnts fck off and join ISIS.

That's how it SHOULD be sung (with the exception of Anderton, but he is a skate so should be expected!)

And without doubt best competition performance in my life time. Team had 'characters' then who could sing.

And without doubt best competition performance in my life time. Team had 'characters' then who could sing.

There does seem to be a correlation between enthusiastic singing and playing well in football matches. Maybe Roy should hold some x-factor style auditions for the Euros in 2016? Forget about which club they play for or form, lets have professional footballers from all leagues in the O2 arena, being judged on their singing by Roy, Cowell and and maybe even the Queen (the actual queen, not Louie). In fact, it might even be worth just opening it up to anyone although some more check on this correlation between singing and performance are needed. Id be interested to see if doing a little dance routine during the anthem improves performance as well. If the singing raises our game, imagine what we would play like if we had some old school Motown routines, nothing fancy, maybe the captain could do a little spin around. Come Roy, get on the case!

The UK has got a good flag but a crap national anthem, it's just so boring and uninspiring.

I'd rather have one of 'Land of hope and glory', 'Jerusalem' or 'I vow to thee my country', much better tunes.

However the football England should have their own separate anthem -

"God Save the Queen" for me is the Royal Anthem, and, as such, should be used in the presence of the Monarch and Royal family.

Thoroughly agree Cabrone with the three tunes you select. Maybe, the Political Party who promises a National Referendum on the choice of National Anthem if elected who be on to a winner.

Certainly the subject needs to be addressed in order to put pride and belief back into our Sportsmen and Women.

Lol - many sounding like scousers or Celtic fans. Republican cvnts fck off and join ISIS.

Wouldn't you like to live in a true democracy? At the moment the UK isn't one, as the role of head of state is only available by fluke of birth.

To compare not wanting the Queen as head of state to the views of ISIS is ridiculous.

I love Jerusalem. Mainly because I get exactly what Blake is banging on about and his own esoteric take on humanity, God, the devil and the will of man is as close as I get to a doctrine. But it is not a national anthem; it is a protest poem.

Both Land Of Hope and Glory and Rule Britannia have connections to Britain's empire building past that I would personally find as difficult to justify singing as asking a god to save a monarch.

Abide With Me always sounds great sung by footy fans. But again it is quite God heavy and a bit Scottish.

I'd take Ron's suggestion that PJ Harvey has already given us a better tune, but again, alas, its not a national anthem but more a protest.

Although maybe the state could commission her and Billy Bragg to write something?

I thought the team were a disgrace trying to sing National Anthem apart from Joe Hart.

Eyes on next game. You are playing for your country.

I have only read a few posts, but I agree with 9-3.

Doesn't matter if your politics are against it, it's a way to show your pride in your nation.

For year Rooney, Ashley Cole and John Terry never sung it at all.

Sing it loud, and sing it proud. I today am an Englishman, I am proud to represent my country, it is AN HONOUR to represent my country, the hopes of millions are with me, and I will show how proud I am.

But I do agree that Jerusalem might be a better choice.

'Land of Hope' would be good (at the footy) as long as we leave out the 'glory' cos that never seems to come about :)

"Land of hope and glory" is a song about a Christian God and Empire building. I think we should stay clear of it representing the views of a country as a whole.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Doesn't matter if your politics are against it, it's a way to show your pride in your nation.

Sing it loud, and sing it proud. I today am an Englishman, I am proud to represent my country, it is AN HONOUR to represent my country, the hopes of millions are with me, and I will show how proud I am..

So would you sing the national anthem regardless of its lyrical content? Do you draw no lines?

You are right, people should be proud to represent the country. But why does singing about a God there is no evidence for and an unelected head of state make you proud? Is it really representative of England to have a song about a deity not everyone believes in and a monarchy not everyone supports at the song's core.

I would love to see the England team line up all serious like and then, suddenly, all go mental and 'jump around' (House Of Pain style), belting out 'Eat My Goal'; shouting it into the camera as it pans down the line etc.

It would be like an Modern England version of the Haka.

(Although this is not a serious suggestion :sadface: )

Sing it loud, and sing it proud. I today am an Englishman, I am proud to represent my country, it is AN HONOUR to represent my country, the hopes of millions are with me, and I will show how proud I am.

But I do agree that Jerusalem might be a better choice.

I guess as an Englishman you would like to have verse 3 sung as well where the lyrics are about killing the Scots then "Rebellious Scots to crush". Very patriotic. GSTQ is the British National Anthem, the team playing in the WC represent England therefore the anthem is not appropriate.

By the way for the poster that asked what Northern Ireland do, you will find at the Commonwealth Games that they play the Londonderry Air (aka Danny Boy).

Now Charles II had eleven bastard children

And George III went mad

And Edward VII they thought was Jack the Ripper

But Richard III weren't as bad as Shakespeare thought he was

Victoria lay back and thought of England

Charles I lost his head

Well the best thing about those Kings and Queens of England

Is that most of them are dead.

Singing

Rule Britannia

Britannia waives the rules

Kings, Queens, Jacks and Knaves and tyrants

Cheats and fools.

Now William III was a protestant and Dutchman

And James I was a Scot

And George I spoke nothing else but German

What a mixed-up, inter-bred lot.

And William I was a grasping Norman bastard

Believe me, it's no lie.

Well there hasn't been an English king of England

Since Harold got one in the eye.

Chorus

Now she was a well-heeled blue-blood Cinderella,

Him Prince Charming with big ears,

But he has a thing going with the ugly sister

So it ended all in tears.

So arise now ye ghosts of old Oliver Cromwell,

Brave Harrison and Tom Paine.

Won't you rid our land of this monstrous carbuncle

And bring sunshine after the reign.

And that's all that counts, really, just pick 11 'characters' who can sing.

I mean, remember that time when gazza or whoever stuck his tongue out? Brilliant.

And George III went mad

Charles I lost his head

Singing

Rule Britannia

Cheats and fools.

And James I was a Scot

Believe me, it's no lie.

Chorus

Love this.

A lot of history and humour in that, very witty and angry at the same time. Nice.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Something About England

From Sandinista

by the Clash.

Maybe to be sung after England leave each tournament? The end refrain being:

"The streets were now deserted,

The gangs had trudged off home,

The lights clicked off in the bedsits,

And old England was all alone."

How difficult is it to learn the simple words of our anthem? I mean, come on, they all know they have to sing it before every international footie match so why after all these years is Joe Hart the only one with a brain big enough to remember the words?

Maybe it's time we picked a few more ball kickers on the basis of their IQ rather than their 0 to 30 times...

We are Ingerland, we are as thick as a plank!

And George III went mad

Charles I lost his head

Singing

Rule Britannia

Cheats and fools.

And James I was a Scot

Believe me, it's no lie.

Chorus

Love this.

A lot of history and humour in that, very witty and angry at the same time. Nice.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Written by Vic Gammon of Sussex as sung by Pete Coe on his album 'Long Company'. It's even better sung.

:toppa:

It really annoys me that God Save the Queen is played for England. It's the National Anthem of the United Kingdom and should only be used when teams/individuals are representing Great Britain (eg Olympics). You don't hear the Scots or Welsh using it as their anthem so why England? Give me Land of Hope & Glory or Jerusalem any day.

100% in agreement. The passion with which the Uruguayans sang their National Anthem showed just how to get a team fired up - it was like a soccer version of the Haka.

Edited by under the west stand

Wouldn't you like to live in a true democracy? At the moment the UK isn't one, as the role of head of state is only available by fluke of birth.

I like the Queen as head of state. She's only a figurehead, and is relatively cheap compared to some elected heads of state. True democracy would be better served by abolishing the House of Lords rather than the monarchy.

Christ that's thick - the dribbling buffoon in your avatar could almost be a selfie.

Oh I forgot you are the forum bright boy. Here to enlighten us all.

And I can't help the way I look - so shallow to judge me on that. But hey you like to think yourself superior and much better than 'mongs' eh. Do you still giggle when you see someone in a wheelchair?

To compare not wanting the Queen as head of state to the views of ISIS is ridiculous.

Close enough to a democracy sunshine. Do you operate to a different calendar as the reference point is the birth of Christ and surely your compliance means acceptance?