England National Anthem

9-3

I thought the team were a disgrace trying to sing National Anthem apart from Joe Hart.

Eyes on next game. You are playing for your country.

Perhaps they are all republican atheists.

I don't like the national anthem for that very reason. Its about a God I don't believe in "saving" (whatever that is meant to mean) a head of state I don't think should be head of state as they are unelected and by fluke of birth born into the position.

I don't sing it, but that doesn't mean I don't like our country. Its just a very poor choice of song.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Ours is the ****test anthem in the world, to be fair.

Agreed. The lyrics are embarrassing and the music is an awful, stunted dirge.

Pathetic. No wonder they look about as inspired as a skid mark when they sing it.

I don't like the national anthem for that very reason. Its about a God I don't believe in "saving" a head of state I don't think should be head of state as they are unelected and by fluke of birth born into the position.

This on both counts. The national anthem is a disgrace. It excludes the sensibilities of a high number of the country's citizens....er, I mean subjects of her majesty.

I have never sung it, and never will.

Edit: It could be more embarrassing though. The "Official state rock song" of Ohio is Hang on Sloopy. :lol:

Edited by Ohio Saint

They probably have specific lessons at St George's teaching them to sing the national anthem but the poor dears can't remember the words after two days, come to think about it just like they forget their football tactics lessons two days later. Doh! They are not rocket scientists that's for sure.

Most other countries make a decent fist of their anthems so it must be the England players, cr.ap at everything. Do they ever remember anything they're asked to do or are they just thick as planks?

Don't you just love the italian anthem...

Still should be jarusalem

Isn't this just William Blake being ironic about England? I remember being taught in school that the whole things was basically a **** take saying that England was actually a **** hole so why on earth would Jesus have bothered visiting (as was rumoured apparently during the period he wrote it), the notion being ridiculous. Maybe I just had an odd English teacher.

Isn't this just William Blake being ironic about England? I remember being taught in school that the whole things was basically a **** take saying that England was actually a **** hole so why on earth would Jesus have bothered visiting (as was rumoured apparently during the period he wrote it), the notion being ridiculous. Maybe I just had an odd English teacher.

You may well be right, but its still better then god save the queen.

As is Land of hope and glory

I'd rather have the Queen as my head of state than some of the self-interest career politician muppets that get voted into power....

God save the queen

Cause tourists are money

And our figure head

Is not what she seems

It really annoys me that God Save the Queen is played for England. It's the National Anthem of the United Kingdom and should only be used when teams/individuals are representing Great Britain (eg Olympics). You don't hear the Scots or Welsh using it as their anthem so why England? Give me Land of Hope & Glory or Jerusalem any day.

I'd rather have the Queen as my head of state than some of the self-interest career politician muppets that get voted into power....

Buys his way into power, well at least that is USA where the last elections had about $6 billion spent. $6bn FFS!!!! And apparently US taxpayers have to stump up $1.4 billion a year to keep Family Obama, well they did in 2012. The Queen costs about £32m while the President of France is over £90m

Buys his way into power, well at least that is USA where the last elections had about $6 billion spent. $6bn FFS!!!! And apparently US taxpayers have to stump up $1.4 billion a year to keep Family Obama, well they did in 2012. The Queen costs about £32m while the President of France is over £90m

Our Queen is probably the most value-for-money head of state in the world. Probably.

This would get my nod although Jerusalem is a good shout too. Strangely enough I was just chatting about this down the pub.

Either of them is a million times better than GSTQ which is the dullest anthem on the planet. Can't blame any of the player for not singing it, so uninspiring.

The lyrics are nonsense too. A country with 3% church attendance asking God to save the last person on the planet who needs saving.

I wouldn't sing it. Queenie don't need saving, although it would be good if she had some savings instead of getting us lot to buy her a new golden carriage.

If you're going to sing it, then go for it, don't just mumble along. Standing in silence is absolutely fine.

Our Queen is probably the most value-for-money head of state in the world. Probably.

If its all about economics why don't we sell it to the highest bidder? If its about value for money, then maybe some rich person will do it for free.

I don't sing it, and will never sing it.

I don't like the national anthem for that very reason. Its about a God I don't believe in "saving" (whatever that is meant to mean) a head of state I don't think should be head of state as they are unelected and by fluke of birth born into the position.

I don't sing it, but that doesn't mean I don't like our country. Its just a very poor choice of song.

Quite an ironic quote "Matthew le I do not exist"

Nice level of agreement on here.

Have to say I used to get more annoyed with the likes of Stuart Pearce self consciously "passionately" screaming it out when the camera passed by him. Do me a favour.

The current team give the song the cursory half-arsed mumble it deserves - its an effing awful anthem.

I agree with OP. Their half-hearted mumbling does give indication of their lack of leadership and passion. Those banging on about the words are missing what it represents. Do you think the French are fully behind the Marseillaise which mentions the enemy cutting throats of their sons and cohorts?

No point our players faking their enthusiasm though.

Singing is the least of our worries.

It's like debating the title of a book that we haven't written yet.

Let's get to the point where we can celebrate scoring a consolation goal without breaking someone's leg, then perhaps move onto putting out a team that can actually compete - then we'll worry about a song.

Singing is the least of our worries.

It's like debating the title of a book that we haven't written yet.

Let's get to the point where we can celebrate scoring a consolation goal without breaking someone's leg, then perhaps move onto putting out a team that can actually compete - then we'll worry about a song.

You do realise we are scheduled to play lots of international football matches in the next few years, regardless of how we play?

This isn't Formula 1 or the Olympics. The anthems happen before kick off.

The UK has got a good flag but a crap national anthem, it's just so boring and uninspiring.

I'd rather have one of 'Land of hope and glory', 'Jerusalem' or 'I vow to thee my country', much better tunes.

However the football England should have their own separate anthem -