Left back behind

9-3

Not sure targetts the future, he has barely made the bench this year let alone played, he may well be very good but obviously isnt really ready.

Chambers effectively came from nowhere last pre-season. We seem to have a habit of keeping players in their respective squads until they are completely ready (except for the few Cup games we have). I don't know much about Targett yet either so I'm not saying he will make it, but the lack of bench appearances does not necessarily mean he's not ready.

Funny to turn that negative, when the 'fear' seems to be that Targett will quickly become a top quality premier league left back, help our team and then earn us another fortune.

I'd be more worried that he turns out not to be good enough, which seems more likely.

Exactly. People are getting very complacent, thinking that we churn out player after player who can be top class - we don't. Look at how many are released. Targett is far more likely to do nothing and be let go than actually perform well for us.

Has anyone actually seen Matt Targett play and give us an informed opinion? He's played for the England U19s I think so he must have talent...on second thoughts having talent isn't necessarily a pre-requisite for England is it? But I digress, seriously though, it would be good to think he can step up, if not now, in a year or so.

I like the idea of Clyne on the left, Chambers on the right with Targett challenging. Chelsea played all last season with a good RB at LB. Clyne has played that position very well a few times now.

Losing Shaw in't such a big deal for me. Week in week out he frustrated me with his final ball and his lack of a right foot.

Week in week out he frustrated me with his final ball and his lack of a right foot.

I know it sounds like sour grapes, but I have to agree with you, although it should be said that he is still young and has plenty of time to learn. While it was noticeable all season, it was against Utd that it irked me most, when he tried a number of times to cross with the outside of his left foot.

The whole situation reminds me of Chambers breakthrough last pre-season, not many had seen him at all before then, and all of a sudden here was this composed right back who looked a decent player from day one. We'll see.

The whole situation reminds me of Chambers breakthrough last pre-season, not many had seen him at all before then, and all of a sudden here was this composed right back who looked a decent player from day one. We'll see.

Yeah of course we will, Im just saying that I dont think we can be so blasie by saying bye to shaw and welcoming an unknown. Shaw is an exceptional talent, you dont get many of his ilk in a generation, granted a few around his level. If Targetts as good as Chambers that will be very good but Id suggest we wont be that lucky and we will need a new LB.

Yeah of course we will, Im just saying that I dont think we can be so blasie by saying bye to shaw and welcoming an unknown. Shaw is an exceptional talent, you dont get many of his ilk in a generation, granted a few around his level. If Targetts as good as Chambers that will be very good but Id suggest we wont be that lucky and we will need a new LB.

Yeah, fair comment. I'm not being blase personally, but I do agree that some probably expect Targett to step up without any difficulty, and it would be pretty exceptional for yet another player to come through the way Shaw, or even Chambers have. You never know though!

I keep reading this phrase conveyor belt when it comes to the academy. It's not a conveyor belt at all. We have just had a rich vain of top class players coming through, but that won't happen every year and it certainly won't happen in every position time after time. Targett might not even make it, never mind be outstanding. Players will need to be bought.