Saints reject bid from Cardiff for José Fonte

Saint-Armstrong

You've got to feel a little bit sorry for Jose.

Lambert, AL, Luke, Lovren, Morgan, Clyne, Osvaldo, Gaston and even Chambers have all been linked with Champs League teams both home and abroad ...... but Jose has been linked with Hull City and now relegated Cardiff!! Come on Scouserpool make an offer for him even if you don't mean it just for the sake of his morale :?

But having said that, at least Hull City are playing in Europe this season which is more than can be said about Luke Shaw at Man U :D

Well I'm quite sure Fonte's agent knows how the talks are going (if they are at all) when he encouraged Cardiff to make an offer....

Where is you evidence he did this?

Why would he pick Cardiff?

Why do you pessimistic posters always have to make things up?

When clubs make official bids for players it is usually after having received encouragement from the agent that its worthwhile pursuing.

Not saying Fonte's camp would be keen for him to go to Cardiff, but if we are getting bids for him then it would suggest to me that he hasnt signed a new contract yet.

The bids then act as a hurry up to Saints to get it sorted.

Hardly rocket science and nothing to do with being optimistic or pessimistic.

Fonte hasnt yet signed a new deal so his agent will use interest of other clubs to get him a better deal or impress upon Saints the urgency to get something agreed.

Retweeted by Steven Lewis

Matt Kiloh @MattJKiloh · Jul 4

Just had a chat with José Fonte at work and he loves the kit and wants too be Saints next captain #TheStripesAreBack pic.twitter.com/Wru56n4s9U

Embedded image permalink

If we really are wishing to return to our roots Ralph and become a touchy feely family club again, then the last thing you should do is to clear out our older stalwarts like Jose and Kelvin who have contributed far more than most to our present success or even dear old Jos for that matter. These are the guys who live and breathe Southampton in the dressing room and are worth their weight in golden footballs with all the raw ambitious kids in our ranks to help them learn the trade and also to help build vital team loyalty, which is essential if we are ever to be more than a struggling lower level Pl side.

I doubt the rumour has any substance and the idea that we could afford to let him go right now with the likely loss of Lovren, borders on the naively absurd.

If we really are wishing to return to our roots Ralph and become a touchy feely family club again, then the last thing you should do is to clear out our older stalwarts like Jose and Kelvin who have contributed far more than most to our present success or even dear old Jos for that matter. These are the guys who live and breathe Southampton in the dressing room and are worth their weight in golden footballs with all the raw ambitious kids in our ranks to help them learn the trade and also to help build vital team loyalty, which is essential if we are ever to be more than a struggling lower level Pl side.

I doubt the rumour has any substance and the idea that we could afford to let him go right now with the likely loss of Lovren, borders on the naively absurd.

Just as well we've rejected the bid, then.

I do like Fonte but I wouldn't be all that disappointed if he saw out the last year of his contract and left a free agent next summer. He has been good but he isn't that good. Lovren has made him look better this season in much the same way Killer made Claus look good. Fonte always has a mistake or two in him and I think we can find a better first choice CB. I personally think Yoshida is marginally the better defender and he is 5 years younger.

Having said all of that, I do believe the OP to be complete horse sh*t.

I do like Fonte but I wouldn't be all that disappointed if he saw out the last year of his contract and left a free agent next summer. He has been good but he isn't that good. Lovren has made him look better this season in much the same way Killer made Claus look good. Fonte always has a mistake or two in him and I think we can find a better first choice CB. I personally think Yoshida is marginally the better defender and he is 5 years younger.

Having said all of that, I do believe the OP to be complete horse sh*t.

To be honest, based on the total squad annihilation we're seeing this summer, players like Fonte and Cork are in short supply - and we need to keep them longer-term. We just need to replace Lovren, and that will be that.

yeah sounds stupid.....doesn't it ?.

Mind you Cortese said that about the prospect of signing 27 y.o. Rickie Lambert for £1 million ....back in 2009..

The difference in possible sell-on value between signing a 27 year old on a three year deal and a 29 year old on a three year deal is massive. Obviously if the contract goes full term you get nothing for them anyway, but the difference in selling a year before the end of the contract is huge at those ages.

With the 27 year old you're practically guaranteed there will be takers for them at 29 and the buying club will have the option of shifting them on at 30 if they become much better OR shipping them out to someone for a fee if they fail. With the 29 year old they're 32 when the contract is up and every buying club knows you're almost certainly getting no resale value for a 31 year old.

The fact we managed to shift Lambert on for a profit at his age was both an anomaly and an excellent piece of business in isolation.

The difference in possible sell-on value between signing a 27 year old on a three year deal and a 29 year old on a three year deal is massive. Obviously if the contract goes full term you get nothing for them anyway, but the difference in selling a year before the end of the contract is huge at those ages.

With the 27 year old you're practically guaranteed there will be takers for them at 29 and the buying club will have the option of shifting them on at 30 if they become much better OR shipping them out to someone for a fee if they fail. With the 29 year old they're 32 when the contract is up and every buying club knows you're almost certainly getting no resale value for a 31 year old.

The fact we managed to shift Lambert on for a profit at his age was both an anomaly and an excellent piece of business in isolation.

Although your comments may ring true, we should remember that a large amount of Rickie Lambert's goal tally wasn't accrued in this League, or the one below that, for that matter.

The fact that his career seems to be near peaking at 32...in this League....is indeed the real anomaly.

His (potential) replacement seems to have " a better pedigree " to start with, and perahps that's what we are banking on in seeking to sign him.

Its true, but we're in a hole without any fit recognised goalscorers. Signing young players like Ings or the Barcelona loan might work out well but Pelle is the insurance, a reasonably certain 'sure thing'. The fee doesn't seem excessive given that every Saints goal roughly equated to a point last season (54 goals, 56 points) and every extra PL place is worth at least £1.2m.

Edited by buctootim

To be honest, based on the total squad annihilation we're seeing this summer, players like Fonte and Cork are in short supply - and we need to keep them longer-term. We just need to replace Lovren, and that will be that.

Agree with you S Clarke about new deals for Fonte and Cork but don't agree that just replacing Lovren is enough. I'd be terrified to see Jos lumbering out against Aguero or Adebayor again next season. Jos seems like a great bloke and was excellent in our NPC promotion at both ends of the pitch but like Gazza, worth a two goal start to the opposition, especially this division's leading lights.

If we can squeeze the pips out of Liverpool, that's Caulker and Manga paid for which means Fonte has some competition at last and that's how he'd want it because the club progresses. The only other option is if the club are considering Chambers at CB? Haven't heard anything about that but you seem to be reasonably ITK so may have a view on that.

The only other option is if the club are considering Chambers at CB?
the shuffle across at some point would seem to make sense. He has height, enough pace and composure on the ball, but does he have the strength and positional sense right now? Possibly.

Agree with you S Clarke about new deals for Fonte and Cork but don't agree that just replacing Lovren is enough. I'd be terrified to see Jos lumbering out against Aguero or Adebayor again next season. Jos seems like a great bloke and was excellent in our NPC promotion at both ends of the pitch but like Gazza, worth a two goal start to the opposition, especially this division's leading lights.

If we can squeeze the pips out of Liverpool, that's Caulker and Manga paid for which means Fonte has some competition at last and that's how he'd want it because the club progresses. The only other option is if the club are considering Chambers at CB? Haven't heard anything about that but you seem to be reasonably ITK so may have a view on that.

I trust the management, Jos has his faults but he wouldn't be the first (or last) player to come good due to clever coaching after a dismal start to the pl. If they want to hold onto him/ feel he could do a job I trust their judgement. He showed glimpses in some of his games in between the glaring shortcomings.