Markus Liebherr Day

St Chalet

@SouthamptonFC: Five years ago today, on Wednesday 8th July 2009, Markus Liebherr saved #SaintsFC. #ThankYouMarkus http://t.co/xciExyVnPa

Despite a few bumps in the road it has easily been the best 5 years in my memory as a Saints fan. We achieved the plan and it is a real shame he didn't get to see it with us. Here's to the next five years and #ThankYouMarkus

In the highly unlikely event that Katharina knows about, reads and cares about this poxy website, it is worth reminding her how astounded and grateful we are to her father for rescuing our club. He seemed to be cut from a different cloth to other megalomaniac owners or dodgy hedge funds.

We don't hear or see much from her, but Markus seemed to avoid the limelight as well.

I think she is an honourable woman and I'm sure Katharina will see this club right in memory of her dad.

In the highly unlikely event that Katharina knows about, reads and cares about this poxy website, it is worth reminding her how astounded and grateful we are to her father for rescuing our club. He seemed to be cut from a different cloth to other megalomaniac owners or dodgy hedge funds.

We don't hear or see much from her, but Markus seemed to avoid the limelight as well.

I think she is an honourable woman and I'm sure Katharina will see this club right in memory of her dad.

I agree, and it such a shame some people reply to the Saintsfc Facebook post, belittling Katarina. So ungrateful, and so shortsighted.

Today is also my son's birthday. I didn't remember that Markus saved our beloved club on my son's birthday, but because of how big a fan he is, I can't think of a better present for him 5 years ago. In all the years we've supported Saints, these last five years have been the greatest in our memory and it actually feels more enjoyable that we sank so low to rise again so high. The club and the city owe a great depth to Maarkus for coming to our rescue and saving our football club and I hope that somebody at the club might keep an eye on this forum and pass on these messages of gratitude to Katharina, to show her how much our short acquaintance with her father still means to us all.

Today is also my son's birthday. I didn't remember that Markus saved our beloved club on my son's birthday, but because of how big a fan he is, I can't think of a better present for him 5 years ago. In all the years we've supported Saints, these last five years have been the greatest in our memory and it actually feels more enjoyable that we sank so low to rise again so high. The club and the city owe a great depth to Maarkus for coming to our rescue and saving our football club and I hope that somebody at the club might keep an eye on this forum and pass on these messages of gratitude to Katharina, to show her how much our short acquaintance with her father still means to us all.

Happy Birthday to your son, Wes. Its my birthday too, was a good birthday present when Markus and NC rocked up and bought the Saints on July 8 2009.

Happy Birthday to your son, Wes. Its my birthday too, was a good birthday present when Markus and NC rocked up and bought the Saints on July 8 2009.

Thanks, Vectis, and a happy birthday to you too. Five years ago must have been one of the more memorable birthdays for both of you, looking back.

Thank you Markus for your generosity, your vision and for saving Southampton Football Club in her darkest hour. Your legacy lives on, but it has been with great sadness that you left us so soon, and, have been unable to celebrate the success your ambitions brought to the club.

May you rest in eternal peace, knowing the happiness your gift has brought to so many.

Whatever happens in the next few years, we are in a far better place than we could have been, and all of that is thanks to our Markus. The basic structure of the club was in place, and Markus got it for a song, but look at how much his investment has multiplied over the 5 years. What an inheritance he has given his daughter. Long may she find interest in us enough to keep financing our dreams.

The highlight for me was the JPT trophy win as I was lucky enough to be there, but perhaps the best thing we did was achieve nPC promotion at the first attempt. (Was it nPC or CCC? I forget.) Let's hope we can enjoy more ups than downs over the next 5 years.

RIP Markus, shame you weren't around in person to witness what you wanted us to achieve.

Legend! Thanks to Marcus we are in a position to moan about selling players for £30mil and £25mil to Man U and Liverpool. We are in a position to moan that when our players get called up to represent their country we are worried they may leave us.

Marcus saved the club and for that should be spoken of in the same breath of Matt Le Tiss, Paine, Channon etc etc.