Matty Targett...

Unbelievable Jeff

Does he need to be as good as Luke Shaw to get into our team? I can't understand why people would right Targett off because he is not Luke Shaw.

I agree with you - he doesn't need to be as good as Shaw to get in our team and I would love for him to be good enough for us and to see us replace one Academy graduate with another would be great.

The problem is people trying to say Shaw wasn't as good as he clearly was and people building up Targett to be better than he is. I know it is a case of the King is dead, long live the King but we need to be realistic here - Targett is not as good as Shaw and is the same age. I hope he gets an opportunity but I am not expecting him to be Premier League ready just yet.

Think what differentiated Bale and Shaw who could be pretty one footed at times were their power and acceleration, the ability to go past a man. For instance, Chambers is very cultured and assured in possession but doesn't have that change of pace. How about Targett?

There was not much evidence of it yesterday, but that is not to say it isn't there. He only really got forward with the ball at his feet once, when he ghosted past the full back and got his cross in. But the quality of the opposition means there is little we can take from that.

It is also worth noting that our wide players this year are likely to hug the touchline more than last season, so the width will come from them rather than the full backs, who will of course overlap at times, particularly if the left-footed Tadic plays on the right, but there will be less requirement for the full backs to be so good going forward. Primarily they will be defenders who support the 'wingers' when the occasion allows.

If luke shaw 'only' performs as well as he did last season for the rest of his career he will go down as one of the greats. 'Caught out of position on a number of occasions'? Utter rubbish. Simply didn't happen.

Yes it did.

I was at the Hasselt game last night and watched Matt Targett with interest. Unfortunately he wasn't challenged much so it was difficult to gauge what he can do. What I did see, though, is that he has a very assured touch. Every ball that came to him he killed dead and he has that imperceptible way of addressing the ball that indicates a proper footballer. Bridge had it, Bale had it, Luke Shaw had it. Positionally he looked absolutely fine. Did everything right but and didn't take any risks. He looks to be a full back that is more pre-disposed to the defensive side of being a full back. But then both Luke and Calum were hesitant to get forward when they first came in as well. He is a big unit; taller than Luke I think, and doesn't looks like he would be that easy to muscle off the ball.

My overall impression was that he is probably just about ready to be given a go. It will take him 10 games or so to get into it but I wouldn't have any problem if the club decide that he is our first choice left back this season.

Thanks for that, great feedback, i hope he plays against Leverkeusen - get a view on him there

I saw Fox a few times live at the start of last year (i.e. Swansea), he was god awful and we were still winning, so cant imagine Targett is worse and we cant give him a run of games to settle in

Someone said that Targett had bulked up. That to me was the biggest thing with Shaw - his physique for an 18yo was impressive. Is MT anything like that?

You can see him from about 0.42s. Seems pretty meaty.

[video=youtube;G0UG-IpJrYQ]

Hopefully he can live up to the billing he is getting and the pressure of being our next prodigal left-back. Sure Koeman will get a better impression of whether he is ready for a starting berth in the EPL over the next few friendlies.

I like what I've seen though. Does seem to have bulked up (Jason McCarthy also looks a hell of a unit for his age) and his touch seems assured. He has quite a dry sense of humour based on interviews I have seen of him and very down to earth, much like Chambers, JWP, and McQueen, who are a credit to our academy. The fact that he is a Saints fan hopefully means he won't be off at the first smell of cash as was the case for Dopey.

Edited by Toon Saint

If luke shaw 'only' performs as well as he did last season for the rest of his career he will go down as one of the greats. 'Caught out of position on a number of occasions'? Utter rubbish. Simply didn't happen.

Rose tinted specs. of course he was. But he is 18, so to be expected. Shaw is not yet the complete full back and won't be until he starts to deliver some assists and a few goals. His defending is very good (especially for an 18 yo) but don't believe the hype that he is already the perfect LB. What we have lost is the potential improvement, I would not be greatly surprised if Targett next season isn't as good as Shaw at the start of last season.

I'm 100% certain and confident that Man U have just bought our second best left back. I've watched them both, spoken to their coaches etc

Just wait and see.

Jeez we're gonna end up making more money selling left backs than playing football

Targett is basically our best ever prospect from the Academy then. Need to secure him on a long contract.

Contracts are pretty much meaningless. Shaw signed a 5 year one last year, same with Adam and they've both left (for good money IMHO). If Targett has good season and somebody offers us good money then he may leave next year. Sadly that's the way it is. Be interesting what happens to football if Bosman Mk II ever happens!!

Rose tinted specs. of course he was. But he is 18, so to be expected. Shaw is not yet the complete full back and won't be until he starts to deliver some assists and a few goals. His defending is very good (especially for an 18 yo) but don't believe the hype that he is already the perfect LB. What we have lost is the potential improvement, I would not be greatly surprised if Targett next season isn't as good as Shaw at the start of last season.

I'm not listening to any hype, I'm judging by what I saw with my own eyes.

I'm 100% certain and confident that Man U have just bought our second best left back. I've watched them both, spoken to their coaches etc

Just wait and see.

:lol: :mcinnes:

I dunno if anyone else has noticed this but Targett seems like a really nice person. I'm not bitter, but Luke Shaw seemed like a bit of a dull, vacuous bellend; a great player, but there was just something about him. Targett seems humble, introverted and very amiable. Isn't he also a Saints fan? If so - and if he's also a player with great ability - then that could really bode well for us in the long-term.

I dunno if anyone else has noticed this but Targett seems like a really nice person. I'm not bitter, but Luke Shaw seemed like a bit of a dull, vacuous bellend; a great player, but there was just something about him. Targett seems humble, introverted and very amiable. Isn't he also a Saints fan? If so - and if he's also a player with great ability - then that could really bode well for us in the long-term.

He supports Liverpool apparently. And I'm not even joking.

Shaw was a decent lad who regularly did charity work off his own back, including the whole "i'll donate a quid for every retweet this gets" thing.

It's interesting that you describe Targett as humble, introverted and very amiable - as I would use those exact terms to describe Shaw as well.

Shaw was a decent lad who regularly did charity work off his own back, including the whole "i'll donate a quid for every retweet this gets" thing.

It's interesting that you describe Targett as humble, introverted and very amiable - as I would use those exact terms to describe Shaw as well.

Not the sharpest tool in the box though.

Well, I'm not calling him a bastard I must add. I just think he's a bit of a typical teenager into this hippity-hop culture. I know I sound old but I'm actually 19. Shaw just gives me this unfavourable impression that's all. But I suppose footballers have never been known to be absolute angels. They're rarely intelligent and full of depth; and it seems when they are, it is a flimsy and hollow attempt e.g. Joey Barton.

Thought Matt Targett looked ok last night, but perhaps needs to mature phyisicaly for a while longer. I was actually more impressed with Jason McCarthy when he cam on to play left back. Of the Young'uns last night, Harrison Reed and Jack Stephens looked the most promising to me, turnbull also looked ok. I think Isgrove could be ok as an impact player off the bench at times, certainly worth a go in the cups to see where he's at.

• 1 year later...

In depth article.

I like the final quote from Les...

“There is a myth about youth development in England and it’s born out of this excuse that only 0.1% make it to the top,” Reed says. “Therefore, if an academy gets one player through, they’ve done a great job.

“I said: ‘No.’ That’s got to be six. There’s no point running an academy at category one level if you think you’re only going to get one through every now and again. We have raised a banner and shown you can produce homegrown talent. You can get them on a journey.”

I think Les Reed is full of more and more poo with every article.

The club make mistake and all of a sudden there is an interview with Les Reed and how wonderful the club is with little snippets and hints about the dark forces in football that worked to the disadvantage of the club in that instance (toby being the last of many instances)... the simple fact is that the club dropped massive clangers, and Les' ability to spout what ever sunshine ballarks he wants to cover it up is starting to wear thin. Far rather he kept stum or just told the straight and honest truth rather than painting a picture of a non-existent rosiness on certain occasions. He does many great things, but covering up every cock up the club make is not one of them.

In depth article.

I like the final quote from Les...

“There is a myth about youth development in England and it’s born out of this excuse that only 0.1% make it to the top,” Reed says. “Therefore, if an academy gets one player through, they’ve done a great job.

“I said: ‘No.’ That’s got to be six. There’s no point running an academy at category one level if you think you’re only going to get one through every now and again. We have raised a banner and shown you can produce homegrown talent. You can get them on a journey.”

Nice to have options down the left with Bertrand and Targett. Let's hope that Martina can challenge Soares to a similar degree.

The club make mistake and all of a sudden there is an interview with Les Reed and how wonderful the club is with little snippets and hints about the dark forces in football that worked to the disadvantage of the club in that instance (toby being the last of many instances)... the simple fact is that the club dropped massive clangers, and Les' ability to spout what ever sunshine ballarks he wants to cover it up is starting to wear thin. Far rather he kept stum or just told the straight and honest truth rather than painting a picture of a non-existent rosiness on certain occasions. He does many great things, but covering up every cock up the club make is not one of them.

So much anger....

We really have dropped a ton of massive clangers on our journey from -10 points in League 1 to 8th in the Premier League followed by 7th and a Europa League place, haven't we?

Good job we have sunshine ballarks Les to cover up the terrible job full of cock ups at our ailing club!

We really have dropped a ton of massive clangers on our journey from -10 points in League 1 to 8th in the Premier League followed by 7th and a Europa League place, haven't we?

Good job we have sunshine ballarks Les to cover up the terrible job full of cock ups at our ailing club!

Osvaldo, ramirez, Toby, Clyne, "no one will leave" etc etc etc etc....

If you read, you will see that i said Les Reed does a lot of great things, but he also tries to put PR spin on every single situation.. If we are such a model little club I would like us to have the integrity to be honest and not lie about situations to save face. Sadly we do. Don't know why you bother to deny it or get so wound up about someone pointing out that the club (and in particular Les Reed) try to spoon feed the fans positive news at "convenient" junctures.

Simple fact is we have a tremendous wage structure for the league and our position in the table. Have had 2 years of bumper tv deals that we have barely touched relative too all clubs, as well as a nice net take from Liverpool and co last season.... plus a profit this year.

Yet we seem to let contracts run down (clyne, morgan, wanyama etc etc), play silly buggers with players we are clearly after (Toby being the latest) and then come out with PR rubbish when we cock it up. Then everyone acts like we are marvellous and this model club (because they are spoon fed it constantly).

We have a great club, and it has been a pleasure to be a fan for these last few years in particular. However, people need to stop settling for what we have. There is still room for improvement and better contract management and real ambition in the transfer market are attainable given the clubs financial structure.

There are serious discrepancies between finances and intent at present, and less interviews by Les and/or either some action or honesty would clarify this. Please don't take that as being anti the club, because it is not! I simply want them to keep striving upwards and I'm dissatisfied with parts of how Less Reed /The PR department work. I think they deliberately flatter to deceive.

If you read, you will see that i said Les Reed does a lot of great things, but he also tries to put PR spin on every single situation.. If we are such a model little club I would like us to have the integrity to be honest and not lie about situations to save face. Sadly we do. Don't know why you bother to deny it or get so wound up about someone pointing out that the club (and in particular Les Reed) try to spoon feed the fans positive news at "convenient" junctures.

Simple fact is we have a tremendous wage structure for the league and our position in the table. Have had 2 years of bumper tv deals that we have barely touched relative too all clubs, as well as a nice net take from Liverpool and co last season.... plus a profit this year.

Yet we seem to let contracts run down (clyne, morgan, wanyama etc etc), play silly buggers with players we are clearly after (Toby being the latest) and then come out with PR rubbish when we cock it up. Then everyone acts like we are marvellous and this model club (because they are spoon fed it constantly).

We have a great club, and it has been a pleasure to be a fan for these last few years in particular. However, people need to stop settling for what we have. There is still room for improvement and better contract management and real ambition in the transfer market are attainable given the clubs financial structure.

There are serious discrepancies between finances and intent at present, and less interviews by Les and/or either some action or honesty would clarify this. Please don't take that as being anti the club, because it is not! I simply want them to keep striving upwards and I'm dissatisfied with parts of how Less Reed /The PR department work. I think they deliberately flatter to deceive.

Les Reed is representing our club, and trying to improve our image, so obviously he is going to try to put a positive spin on everything in the media. Anything that helps to improve our image can only help the club - pragmatically I don't have a problem with it, and if you do, then perhaps you shouldn't be taking much notice of what anyone says to the press. I'm not sure what the lies are you are talking about, I don't really take much notice of what is said myself - I am not spoon fed and nor do I deny anything or get wound up about things. I watch what we do on the pitch and see where we finish in the league and to be honest, I am very impressed. I'm sure the club has made some mistakes, but clearly they have not been major ones if you consider our recent trajectory.

I was just laughing at someone who seemed to be trying very hard to find fault at a club that has been one of the most successful in the country over the past few years, in terms of improving our status both in league position and financially. No settling here - I am hungry for more, and I trust Les and the board to continue with the constant improvements we've seen over the past few years.

Bizarre... I am delighted by the job that Les is doing and hope that he keeps doing it for a long time hence.

That's a pretty special post, I've got to say.

First thing I'd like to point out is, unless I'm mistaken, Ramirez hasn't left?

First thing I'd like to point out is, unless I'm mistaken, Ramirez hasn't left?

I think he was identifying what he viewed as problems--one of which was a statement that no one would want to leave Southampton. I am not sure if that statement was actually made but, in any case, he was not listing the players who would not leave.

Golden post:mcinnes:

• 2 years later...
Interesting. It's clear he would want to be first choice next season. If Bertrand stays on, then he would prefer to be at Fulham. Fair enough.

I hope we see him back here then.

Bertrand's sale would probably act as an additional parachute payment.

(or a big chunk of Gao's loan, if you want to take a cynical view).

I'd like to see us keep Bertrand and Target and make them both work in the same team.

But if that doesnt happen and we are going down then simply put we need to strim our costs. If Ryan wants to leave and Matty wants to play for us then that would be making the best of that situation.

Also, glad to see I've been consistent in my views over the last 2.5years :lol: