Matty Targett...

Unbelievable Jeff

So just watched the highlights of the first game, and did anyone notice what a unit he is now, and also the crossing and balls down the line. Personally thinks he looks very promising.

Anyone else reminded of the time 2 seasons ago when we all thought we needed a LB until one came through in pre-season..?

In terms of age, he's not "that" young. He's only a couple of months younger than Luke Shaw.

That said, Shaw was a phenomenon. If Targett can be at least a decent second choice this season it will be an achievement. Any more a massive bonus.

We have one.

Clyne.

HTH

I find the obsession with Clyne playing LB very odd. There is no way we can rely on him as first choice in what's a secondary position for him.

I am sure we'll sign another LB.

I find the obsession with Clyne playing LB very odd. There is no way we can rely on him as first choice in what's a secondary position for him.

I am sure we'll sign another LB.

I have no idea who is obsessing about Clyne as starting LB either. I was pointing out that we have cover in that position, Clyne, and that he is better as cover in that position than Danny Fox.

He looks a lot more physically developed than last season, what will be really interesting to to see him up against better oppo in pre season as that will go a long way to telling us if the club do see him as a starting LB

The kid is as ready as chambers, reed, ward prowse were when they made their breakthrough. He'll be fine - as long as people don't expect him to be as good as Shaw who was/is exceptional.

The jury's out for ne as far as Luke shaw is concerned . He's not in the same mould as bale .

Yes he shows quality but the proof Is in the pudding. Too often some young players peak before they are ready . Theo and islanders have not been the world beaters I expected them to be and I feel their careers have marked time despite the injuries

On the other hand I have an inkling that Matt will prove to be a more solid defender than shaw . On a number of occassions shaw was exposed and went missing when having to defend . Great going forward . But targett has a better defending no use than shaw

Have you ever seen Targett play live? Shaw's defending was always excellent I thought, equal to his forward play. Stops crosses well, good in the air and great 1v1. Can't remember an opponent really beating him apart from Albrighton a couple of times.

If Targett gets anywhere near Shaw's level he will have a fine career.

Get an experienced LB in and use MT as cover, maybe start cup games and league games against weaker opposition at home?

Would like to be proven wrong, but can't see us getting lucky twice with another youngster slotting straight in no trouble at all :)

Matt Target is an exceptional talent. Not every 18 year old LB gets selected for the England u-19s so his selection made him exceptional. As a teenager, physical development makes a difference and Shaw did seem physically mature beyond his years, but Target will be 19 in Sept and older than Shaw was when he made the Saints' team. Like Shaw, I wouldn't expect him to be dropped straight in to a nailed on starting place. That will depend on how well he does and what competition there is for the LB slot. There's little doubt he'll get his chance and then its down to him to make the most of it. There does seem to be a surfeit of RBs (Clyne, Chambers, McCarthy) and CBs (last season's four plus Turnbull and Stephens. Thing is, can any out of that group provide competition at LB because buying one in might limit Target's opportunities.

The jury's out for ne as far as Luke shaw is concerned . He's not in the same mould as bale .

Yes he shows quality but the proof Is in the pudding. Too often some young players peak before they are ready . Theo and islanders have not been the world beaters I expected them to be and I feel their careers have marked time despite the injuries

On the other hand I have an inkling that Matt will prove to be a more solid defender than shaw . On a number of occassions shaw was exposed and went missing when having to defend . Great going forward . But targett has a better defending no use than shaw

Insanity.

Luke Shaw is the complete fullback. How on earth would you know that Targett is better defensively when Shaw has performed at top level in the Prem for two seasons, got into the team of the year and the England squad for a world cup, before Targett has made his full league debut?

People seem keen to play down Shaws ability now he's left - probably to try and soften the blow - but the reality is he will most likely go on to be Englands greatest ever left back.

Guy I sit with has a son who coaches in the Academy and he has said that the club rate Targett higher than Shaw all round technically for their stage of development. It was Shaws physique that allowed him to shine early. I think we could be seeing the next big thing with this player once he beefs up and gets his chance.

Insanity.

Luke Shaw is the complete fullback. How on earth would you know that Targett is better defensively when Shaw has performed at top level in the Prem for two seasons, got into the team of the year and the England squad for a world cup, before Targett has made his full league debut?

People seem keen to play down Shaws ability now he's left - probably to try and soften the blow - but the reality is he will most likely go on to be Englands greatest ever left back.

Because now he has left, for some reason, some like Viking are re writing history

It's the same with Lallana

Just from the little I have seen, Targett's right foot is already better than Luke's.

Shaw's major asset is his pace. This allowed him to recover poor positioning and made him much harder to beat.

His final ball and shooting is not great IMHO (Shaw).

Plenty of pressure/expectations on Targett. Hope we bring in a quality LB to compete.

Though he is obviously a big loss, to say Shaw is the 'complete' LB is rather over egging the pudding.

PS I am not re-writing history. Check my posts. I have consistently said that Luke has weaknesses in his game that should be addressed.

Just from the little I have seen, Targett's right foot is already better than Luke's.

Shaw's major asset is his pace. This allowed him to recover poor positioning and made him much harder to beat.

His final ball and shooting is not great IMHO (Shaw).

Plenty of pressure/expectations on Targett. Hope we bring in a quality LB to compete.

Though he is obviously a big loss, to say Shaw is the 'complete' LB is rather over egging the pudding.

PS I am not re-writing history. Check my posts. I have consistently said that Luke has weaknesses in his game that should be addressed.

He was better than nearly all other left backs in the prem at 18 years old, last season

I suspect we won't see another as good as him over a whole season at such an age.

Shaw is one hell of a player perhaps the best LB in the PL the only part of his game that lets him down is his final ball when getting forward (I think I saw he had 1 assist last season). Having said that we don't need to have the best LB in the PL just a good one If Targett can be as good as chambers or JWP he will still be a decent addition to the team.

When exactly has Shaw gone missing? You sound absolutely ridiculous.

When exactly has Shaw gone missing? You sound absolutely ridiculous.

It's hilarious watching these people come out with this.

Shaw was immense last year. Regardless of what the new thing to suggest that shaw could not defend, I don't think I had read as much crap for a long time

He was an excellent defender. Defending was his strong point

He needs to improve his final ball a little and he will be the complete left back

Edited by Batman

It's hilarious watching these people come out with this.

Shaw was immense last year. Regardless of what the new thing is that shaw could not defend, I don't think I had reason as much crap for a long time

He was an excellent defender. Defending was his strong point

He needs to improve his final ball a little and he will be the complete left back

Don't get me wrong, Shaw had a great season and he is a quality left back who will get even better. He is NOT however the finished article that some are suggesting.

Don't get me wrong, Shaw had a great season and he is a quality left back who will get even better. He is NOT however the finished article that some are suggesting.

Don't think anyone is. But he was in the top 3 left backs in the country last season.

To suggest that Shaw went missing defensively "on a number of occasions" last season is frankly absurd. Anyone who watched him regularly last season would know that the defensive side of his game is better than his attacking prowess at this stage of his career.

Most games followed quite a similar pattern where the right sided player would try and take Luke on early in the game, lose the ball, and then not bother again. There would be an attempt to clip a long ball into our LB area and Shaw would win the header and then much of the opposition's attacks after that were down our right or through the middle. Shaw's defensive qualities are great - strong, physical, never really dives in, good in the air - and he was only ever exposed on a few occasions.

Whereas attacking-wise, although he makes fantastic bursting runs forward and goes past people easily, he must work on his final ball, which was often lacking, but i've no doubt will improve as well.

As mentioned, now he's gone, people suddenly "always had some doubts about him" - total rubbish in my opinion.

This thread is about Targett though - he looks very capable, but let's not pile the pressure on him by making him first choice (which i'm sure isnt the plan from the club) and constantly comparing him to Shaw, who was a real one-off for someone his age.

To have a different opinion is clearly somehow absurd and a rewrite of history ...Okay then.

Shaw was not perfect. He had a good season (fantastic when you consider his age) but he, like all players has room to grow as a player. No question he has all the makings of a top class full back.

Targett looks to be a different player with different strengths and weaknesses. He has not made his breakthrough as early and may not reach the same heights as Shaw but, then again, he might even be better. I hope he sees plenty of game time this year and, when he does make mistakes, we back him.