Matty Targett...

Unbelievable Jeff

If (when) we go down, Bertrand will go, so starting next season with Targett at LB would be preferable, however if Fulham go up and they want to keep him, then I hope we get good money for him and then McQueen can come in at LB. Personally don't think there is much between McQueen and Targett, apart from Targett is naturally a better defender.

Shows what a **** up we are thatbwe have loaned out a player semingly not good enough for our firet team, only to be faced with a scenario that he wants to leave to play at a higher level a few months later.

You couldn't make it up, we have waited ages for him to be first team ready and then he will end up in the league above us (money/ambition talks, if they want him and are PL we aren't keeping him)!

Shows what a **** up we are thatbwe have loaned out a player semingly not good enough for our firet team, only to be faced with a scenario that he wants to leave to play at a higher level a few months later.

You couldn't make it up, we have waited ages for him to be first team ready and then he will end up in the league above us (money/ambition talks, if they want him and are PL we aren't keeping him)!

Yeah, I'm sure we can work that into the lyric of 'Isn't it Ironic' by Alanis Morissette.

Shows what a **** up we are thatbwe have loaned out a player semingly not good enough for our firet team,

There's no "seemingly" about it. He's not good enough for our first team. If you think he's better than the left back we've got them you're deluded. He's found his level, he may push on, he may not. But the fact remains he's not a patch on Ryan Bertrand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an attacking wingback he is good but his defensive positioning is sometimes off. Perhaps he could do a Bale and become a left side midfield player. McQueen at LB.

tend to agree the lad has more talent attacking, but have doubts whether he'll ever be good enough in that position to be first choice.

So you would have played him ahead of Bertrand then. If one person on here wants to tell me Matt Targett is better than Ryan Bertrand I will happily laugh in their face.

First team can also mean the full first team squad.

Ah that's a subtle interpretation first team for me is first 11. Not good enough for our 25 man squad? yeah he probably is (not that's hard given the state of it) but in that case he would surely be there knowing he was second (possibly third choice behind McQueen) hence why Targett requested a loan move.

Why is it a **** up? Bertrand is better than Targett. If Targett hadn't gone on loan it is unlikely he'd have played a minute thus far for Saints in the league. McQueen is fine to be the back up for the rest of the season.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Is that the same JRod staring in the “Worst rated 11” from players with 25+ games this season.

25c27880c1b7bb0245ac1572cc4a9862.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a load of crap, there's no strikers with less than 11 goals and 2 assists? :lol:

Given Bertrand will leave in the summer, and that we will probably be playing Championship football next year, you'd think we'd want keep Targett onside. I've heard that the club haven't even been in touch with him since he joined Fulham. Once again, good standards from the best run club in the world with the best youth programme in the galaxy.

not sure how bad the injury is but bad timing for Fulham

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah, but on the bright side, at least now somebody from the club will have to phone Matt to see how bad the injury is.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Targett would walk into our first team at the moment. It genuinely astonishes me that we send players out on loan who are better than the players we pay millions to bring in and then multiple millions per year in salary costs. It's bat**** crazy.

Matt Targett isn't better than Ryan Betrand who will be challenging for a starting position at the world cup.

You'll have to remind me of the players we have spent multiple millions on to play reserve left back. I thought we just had Sam McQueen as back up.

Who else is on loan who is better than our first team? We are currently rubbish but it ain't because we have got some army of world beaters playing in loan elsewhere.

Targett would walk into our first team at the moment. It genuinely astonishes me that we send players out on loan who are better than the players we pay millions to bring in and then multiple millions per year in salary costs. It's bat**** crazy.

So so wrong. Berta d is miles better than Matt “runs like he is towing a caravan” Targett. Deluded!

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've seen of Targett at Saints, I'd be tempted to let him go permanently in summer. If he has a successful career elsewhere then fair play to him but he turns 23 in September and hardly looks like the next Roberto Carlos. If Bertrand goes we really need some quality and experience, given the rest of our back four and keeper.

If we start next season with Targett and Hoedt/Stephens/Bednarek in defence we are going to struggle again.

From what I've seen of Targett at Saints, I'd be tempted to let him go permanently in summer. If he has a successful career elsewhere then fair play to him but he turns 23 in September and hardly looks like the next Roberto Carlos. If Bertrand goes we really need some quality and experience, given the rest of our back four and keeper.

If we start next season with Targett and Hoedt/Stephens/Bednarek in defence we are going to struggle again.

Agree. The defence needs major surgery. At a push I would probably only keep Bednarek.

: It had been coming though that was the first time Derby had properly got down the flanks. Targett, was, er, targeted there, and Derby overloaded once they got the ball out to the left. Jerome is always capable of bullying defenders.

10m ago 20:21

[h=2]Goal! Derby 1-0 Fulham (Jerome 34)[/h] Huddlestone’s ball gets Forsyth out on the left. Great cross, and Jerome powers through Matt Targett to get there.

I like the lad, he's done well at Fulham (and was ok for us I thought) but got seriously mugged for the Derby goal. But I'd still like to see him in a Saints shirt again

Slow lightweight fullbacks, combined with lightweight and/or clumsy centre backs is what made us perennial relegation candidates for years. I want our young players to be given every chance to succeed, and loans are a good way to toughen them up, but the thought of Targett bolstering our pitiful defence makes me shudder. If Bertrand leaves, then we MUST invest in a quality pacey fullback.

Slow lightweight fullbacks, combined with lightweight and/or clumsy centre backs is what made us perennial relegation candidates for years. I want our young players to be given every chance to succeed, and loans are a good way to toughen them up, but the thought of Targett bolstering our pitiful defence makes me shudder. If Bertrand leaves, then we MUST invest in a quality pacey fullback.

Chez, you've never really rated Targett, have you? Much as I have never been able to understand people's high rating of JWP!. I agree with you on MT..........Should Bertrand leave we definitely need a quality replacement; sadly Sam McQueen falls into the same category - not quite good enough for Prem level Football.

Slow, plodding full backs went out of style with Danny Fox.

Seems a nice kid, Targett. But he's not going to make the grade at the top level (assuming that's still where we reside/aspire to reside).

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Targett got caught out of position a couple of times ball watching. He was also unable to stop the Jerome goal.

That said he has improved as the season went by after getting a good run of games. Which is something he has not really been permitted with us. He hasn't really let us down when he has played for us and believe he could do a job for us.

Especially if money is tight and we need the money spent on a striker(one that scores regularly), a good actively mobile central midfield player, and a strong defensive minded cb.