Jos Hooiveld

Saint Charlie

This will be the fourth season with Saints for the man with the square head.

Excellent in the Championship (especially on Tuesdays) and then progressively worse since then.

Can he turn it round and have a solid campaign as a starting player? Or will his 'happy feet' conjure up a few more OGs?

Personally, I am amazed he is still at the club considering how efficiently we shed the other Championship deadwood.

But he does help new players settle in by sorting them out with mobile phones, and seems a good lad around the camp.

Does this mitigate things slightly? My opinion could be swayed by those of others...

9a5esape.jpg

Adequate as 4th choice and as long as he is happy with that I think he is a solid squad member. This may even be the season he is surpassed by Stephens / Turnbull / McCarthy in the pecking order but with just a year left on his deal I suspect he will be released as Guly was at the end of last season.

Sad that he was considered our best defender in the Championship season and the most likely to step up, a lot of questions were raised over Fonte's ability back then. Sadly it all went wrong for Jos. I think his own lack of confidence has exacerbated his poor form. Can't see any way back for him in the opinions of fans now, even if he played incredibly well. It's not nice to see someone who had so much respect and who aided us so much in being where we are lose it all and be treated as a joke by the fans 2 seasons later.

But he does help new players settle in by sorting them out with mobile phones, and seems a good lad around the camp.

9a5esape.jpg

This is probably the biggest factor with why he is still with us. Good in the dressing room for team spirit and morale, by the looks of things.

We also probably keep him in the team because the younger CB's (likely) aren't quite ready to step up yet so instead of playing them and knocking their confidence, he is there to step in when Lovren / Fonte and Yoshida can't play.

This is probably the biggest factor with why he is still with us. Good in the dressing room for team spirit and morale, by the looks of things.

This. Sometimes such characters can be worth their weight in gold for team morale in the dressing room and socially, even when they're not the best of the bunch on the field.

This. Sometimes such characters can be worth their weight in gold for team morale in the dressing room and socially, even when they're not the best of the bunch on the field.

Very true. He and Kelvin are both key in this respect it would seem.

MLG - Could you put some stats together on our PL result split when Hooiveld played over the last two seasons? Year by year view. Cheers.

But he does help new players settle in by sorting them out with mobile phones, and seems a good lad around the camp.]

Strange. My dad recently mentioned Big Jos and a mobile phone shop he is a patron of in the same sentence. He has a reputation as a phone man or something?

Strange. My dad recently mentioned Big Jos and a mobile phone shop he is a patron of in the same sentence. He has a reputation as a phone man or something?

Haha. He just said in an interview that he helps new signings settle by sorting them out a phone.

Maybe he has access to a wholesale supplier?

On topic, there was a good example of Jos' lack of concentration last night. 2mins 25 secs into the highlights video.

Reminded me very much of the Newcastle cock up at St James' Park last season.

He's a perfectly adequate 4th choice centre back for a mid table club there can't be many better players who would be willing to not even sit on the bench most weeks. I suspect he will be released at the end if his contract by which time hopefully one of the youngsters will be ready.

Don't you always think that?

He never actually thinks that. Just a pointless, repetitive trolling routine of a "comedy" opinion that has been going on for five years, in fact far, far longer. Gawd, I've been on here too long.

The shame of it is that Dalek thinks it is all genuinely hilarious.

He never actually thinks that. Just a pointless, repetitive trolling routine of a "comedy" opinion that has been going on for five years, in fact far, far longer. Gawd, I've been on here too long.

Having seen enough of his posts, I doubt he ever actually thinks anything. Just copies and paste's the "we'll be relegated" template and tweaks until appropriate.

CB is spot on with this.

Jos isn't perfect by any means, but I don't think he's quite as bad as some people suggest. He was first choice for the second half of 2012/13 and by and large did fairly well. His performance in the 3-1 win over Man City that season was as good if not better than anything Lovren has ever produced in a Saints shirt. It's not like he's never done it at this level. Obviously he has his faults, but as people have said above, he's fine as 4th choice.

The fan club is back !

Having seen enough of his posts, I doubt he ever actually thinks anything. Just copies and paste's the "we'll be relegated" template and tweaks until appropriate.

There is some truth in the sentiment. I always start the season with one thing in mind, can Saints avoid relegation ? This attitude has been burnt into my mind since the hard struggles of the 1990's.

Articulate, more so than most if the first language English speakers! Met him at corporate dos a couple of times. Send a really genuinely nice guy. He has the ability I think, just knocked his confidence with the mistakes early on in 2012/13 season. Maybe under Koeman he'll get his consistency back? If he was the player we lived in the championship again it'd be "Lovren who?"...

never going to become first-choice again, but a good sub. in emergency situations. Good for another season.

Brave and tough - if only his goals for tally outweighed hos OG's a bit more, he'd be better thought of by many.

Is he really a good sub? For a PL team that has money to spend and ambitions to finish top half? He wouldn't start for any PL team, and probably wouldnt be a third choice either.

All for giving players a chance, but has had two years in the PL and been out of his depth time and time again. Its not a charity.

What's having facial hair got to do with finding form again?

Everything! Are you mad? Facial Hair is everything.

For starters; the Lallana 'Under Beard' should be banned from the training camp immediately. I saw one or two youngsters wearing it last night. To give Jos his dues, I think he has sported the beard longer than most - but this may point to its origin. I agree; off with the beards!

Saints Squad should be clean living clean shaven nice young men, not yobbos with hipster beards and intricately shaved stubble designs, YMCA n all that.

(Moustaches are, of course, fine and to be encouraged).

For starters; the Lallana 'Under Beard' should be banned from the training camp immediately. I saw one or two youngsters wearing it last night. To give Jos his dues, I think he has sported the beard longer than most - but this may point to its origin. I agree; off with the beards!

Saints Squad should be clean living clean shaven nice young men, not yobbos with hipster beards and intricately shaved stubble designs, YMCA n all that.

I would argue that Lallana got better with more facial hair.

I would argue that Lallana got better with more facial hair.

Now we are getting to the nitty gritty and important stuff.

Yes, he did, but (as was widely reported at the time), the world reached 'peak beard' in mid April - around the same time Saints' campaign began to stagnant. Coincidence? I think not.

We need to be ahead of the times here - I'm not saying forget training and the sports science - but come on Saints, sort it out; there must be a decent Turkish Barbers in Southampton somewhere?

Now we are getting to the nitty gritty and important stuff.

Yes, he did, but (as was widely reported at the time), the world reached 'peak beard' in mid April - around the same time Saints' campaign began to stagnant. Coincidence? I think not.

We need to be ahead of the times here - I'm not saying forget training and the sports science - but come on Saints, sort it out; there must be a decent Turkish Barbers in Southampton somewhere?

I'm hoping he's looked at it as a way to cut out the number of own goals he scores. He might have seen the progress Adam was making and thought it was worth a shot.

Is he really a good sub? For a PL team that has money to spend and ambitions to finish top half? He wouldn't start for any PL team, and probably wouldnt be a third choice either.

All for giving players a chance, but has had two years in the PL and been out of his depth time and time again. Its not a charity.

Agreed, but it'll be RK who decides his future (with Saints or elsewhere).....time will tell.

What is your stance on pubic hair Polaroid?

What is your stance on pubic hair Polaroid?

I try not to have a fixed stance on THAT sort of thing.

However, if one down-stairs carpet style has a benefit over another, then I would not be adverse to (cautiously) giving it go. If successful, I would of course demand Saints force the entire squad to adopt it.