CONFIRMED - Steven Caulker - DONE DEAL (loan)

washsaint

See some folks over on UI are claiming that we have signed Caulker for 8.9 million. Anyone know if there is any truth in this?

Seems, IMO, obvious Lovren is off as he was not even in squad tonight (and good riddance to the piece of c**p) and Caulker could be a good signing if true. Young, highly thought of and with prem experience.

What if Caulker was brought in to be Lovren's partner?

Does anyone know what side of the defense Caulker plays in? Lovren is a left sided central defender so if Caulker is a right sided central defender then he is clearly not a replacement.

Harry Redknapp....live on sky now....'agreed a fee for Caulker,would be a great thing for him to play alongside Rio Ferdinand...he would be mad to turn us down...just look at what Cahill has learned with john terry'......jim white lapping it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if Caulker was brought in to be Lovren's partner?

Does anyone know what side of the defense Caulker plays in? Lovren is a left sided central defender so if Caulker is a right sided central defender then he is clearly not a replacement.

Just looked it up, Caulker is a right sided center half, so appears he is not a replacement for Lovren.

Was it patred who posted it? Theres a reason most of those loons have been exhiled to the UI.

For the record patred is against us signing him. He saw him play in a league cup game whilst visiting friends in Morecambe. He says caulker was awful, scored an own goal, gave away a penalty and got sent off.

Typical 'arry, signing average Championship players and a big name but over the hill defender on loads of money. Will the dunce ever learn?

Pretty sure he learned the kind of players you have to sign to make yourself a chunk of cash LONG ago.

Caulker is alright but no Lovren. It's a tough one. Few would doubt it's a good signing with Lovren. Replacing him, it's weakened us.

If Lovren is vaguely honest and wanted strengthening though, this would be evidence.

Would like Powell as well. 2 good young English players, then a new LB and 2 more attacking players. If those signings are right, I'd start to think we might actually have a better squad than last year. If we sell Lovren and Morgan or others, then we need to adjust expectations and hope for more longer term.

Powell?

Gary lineker said caulker was too slow on the turn to be top class. Maybe he ain't all that. Cardiff ST holders I know said he went missing whenever they went behind and for the entire second half of the season. Head already thinking about his relegation release clause perhaps.

Caulker was not "Snapped Up" by a big team when he went to Cardiff. Too many pundits including many on here said he was not quick enough or good enough.

A season in a poor Cardiff team cannot have turned him into a Lovren/Fonte replacement, so I seriously hope this is a UI wind up.

In Caulker's defence, he is only 22 - that's very young for a CB. His first proper season in the Prem as well, in a team which leaked goals all year. Our centre backs got absolutely slaughtered when they made the step up from the Championship, but Fonte looks like he's played in the Prem his whole career now. I think the potential is definitely there for him to be a very good player, and he seems like a good bloke as well.

Plus we have to factor in that our manager was a World Class defender in his day, and working with him would be an attractive prospect for young players out there.

In Caulker's defence, he is only 22 - that's very young for a CB. His first proper season in the Prem as well, in a team which leaked goals all year. I think the potential is definitely there, and he seems like a good bloke as well.

Plus we have to factor in that our manager was a World Class defender in his day, and working with him would be an attractive prospect for young players out there.

You can coach out mistakes and coach in positioning and tactics. Im not sure you can teach a 22 year old to speed up in the turn or stop being carp on the ball.

You can coach out mistakes and coach in positioning and tactics. Im not sure you can teach a 22 year old to speed up in the turn or stop being carp on the ball.

I think Wanyama's performances in the second half of the season will go against that point, although he's not perfect by any means. He looked an awful lot better on the ball and also in his awareness when he came back from injury - something the coaches had clearly worked with him on.

I'm not saying he's guaranteed to become a great player or anything, but he'd definitely do a job for us and has the potential to really kick on.

Agreed. He's got defects that won't go away. He's worse than lovren, fonte and yoshida imo.

A no from me.

I think Wanyama's performances in the second half of the season will go against that point, although he's not perfect by any means. He looked an awful lot better on the ball and also in his awareness when he came back from injury - something the coaches had clearly worked with him on.

I'm not saying he's guaranteed to become a great player or anything, but he'd definitely do a job for us and has the potential to really kick on.

Good point, still very young and I a high standard for a Centre back, impressive.

Sorry if already posted but i found this article quite interesting on the Dejan/Caulker comparison

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/05/skrtel-vs-caulker-vs-lovren-complete-defender/

Always a bit cynical about those sorts of stats articles, but that's a fair account, good balanced analysis of three good defenders.

John Terry is slow as you like but one of the best cbs in the division last season. Not saying Caulker is directly comparable but he is strong in the air, can play out from the back and, as others has said, is a decent age for a cb (ie plenty of time to develop but enough under his belt to be in a decent first team such as ours).

I like the fact he is English, adds a set piece threat, is a good age and the prices being banded about seem v cheap for a player of his potential.

why has he got defects that wont go away? hes got youth on his side and his stats are excellent having scored 5 goals as well. Hes a tried and tested central defender in the premiership who made zero errors for a cardiff side that were also relegated. A possible future England defender at under 10 million also makes good business sense...we have already bought two players from the continent, I for one would like to see us purchase this Brit.:)

That article said Caulker "had a superb season". He scored a mildly disproportionate number of goals in a side which got relegated, was utter toilet after Xmas except for basically one fluke at St Mary's, and also conceded shed loads of goals including to some terrible teams.

You read to much into some of the ItK's batman .

We are buying a very good Chinese player hence the panda connections

I love the ITKs, but I do think their followers fall into one of three categories.

1) Follow the gourd

lifeofbrian.jpg

2) Follow the shoe

hqdefault.jpg

3) Follow the smiling red panda

Red-panda-is-very-amused-l.jpg