CONFIRMED - Steven Caulker - DONE DEAL (loan)

washsaint

Only if we discount the pathetic strop from yesterday is it a fair comment...

Take it at it's merit ... he can still have been a tool but no sense giving him stick when he makes a cogent point, may just dissuade him from trying to engage in reasoned debate going forwards ...

But yes, Caulker, loan, good deal.

I'd be careful in what Les Reed says following a cock up ;) His word ain't worth much, or did I miss Lambert in the squad last season, or Clyne lining up for us in Holland?

You have been repeating this ill-informed nonsense on every thread for days. What are you expecting to gain? We have all heard you. Two people even agree with you but it really is tedious to keep repeating it.

I wonder if the club prefers a straight-up honest fight for the player next summer if he proves himself this season, rather than a buy-out clause full of loopholes ?

Yea but he has a great season and you know who will come sniffing. The loan part of this deal is intriguing.

I wonder if the club prefers a straight-up honest fight for the player next summer if he proves himself this season, rather than a buy-out clause full of loopholes ?

RK just said there's an option in the presser, take it there's some sort of understanding.

I remember when Straschan arrived and his first signing was Paul Williams from Coventry and if my memory servs me right everyone back then like what the f**k but he turned out to be an OK player for Saints - so Im keeping my positive hat on and says that this guy will be a good defender to have in the team.

And lets not forget Telfer, people were underwhelmed with him and was critisised throughout his time here but IMO he did a bloody good job, never failed us and always did what was asked of him by Strachan

And lets not forget Telfer, people were underwhelmed with him and was critisised throughout his time here but IMO he did a bloody good job, never failed us and always did what was asked of him by Strachan

Teller was a great professional. His experience helped all the youngsters coming through.

Was just on SSN that we're paying a 1.3 mill loan fee and all of his wages :scared:

Is that any different from signing someone for £10m on a 4 year contract? That would work out at £2.5m a year and all of his wages (with only difference being the sell on value or lack of)? Is this a try before you buy deal? If so, then I'm fine with that.

Is that any different from signing someone for £10m on a 4 year contract? That would work out at £2.5m a year and all of his wages (with only difference being the sell on value or lack of)? Is this a try before you buy deal? If so, then I'm fine with that.

There is a difference in accounting terms. A £10m player would go straight on the balance sheet with his value written down over the four years. It's a bit like the difference between buying a car outright or on a lease with no residual value.

I keep reminding myself that Bertrand was Dog**** at Villa under Lambert,but became one of the best LB's in the prem last season under Koeman.....Caulker was decent at Swansea just made a couple of wrong moves to Cardiff & QPR,we are way above that level so we should see a big improvement.

Don't think he's good enough to replace Toby, but he is more than capable as a Gardos replacement. The lack of a built in buy option suggests that he was signed to cover Gardos and will allow the club to take it's time with the search for Toby's replacement without fearing the prospect of Fonte or Yoshida hurting themselves and having to throw Stephens or Turnbull in at the deep end.

Happy with this signing albeit for a season, but hopefully it will turn into a longer stay. If we add VVD as suggested then we will be very strong at CB and there will be at least one more player elsewhere too by the sounds of it. Good times.

Decent loan signing imo. Did well at Swansea and Cardiff, not so great at QPR. Reminds me a little of Dean Richards - touted as the next big thing from an early age only to struggle to fulfil his potential - before joining us and reviving his career. Hopefully Caulker turns out to be as good as Richards was for us.

good deal for us. I hope there is a solid agreement that should we want to buy him and he wants to stay that it wold be done quickly.

now, I hope we are still in for a TOP CB....the loan part of the deal would suggest we are

Another quality CB and another CM and the squad will be the strongest depth wise since we got back to the PL.

Another CB also gives the chance to loan out Stephens and Turnbull again rather than having them sit around as 5th choice playing Carling Cup.

Let's see. Depth means little if the first team isn't as strong. We'll see enough how far the new recruits can fill in what are some pretty large holes, areas that have defined our footballing identity.

Take it at it's merit ... he can still have been a tool but no sense giving him stick when he makes a cogent point, may just dissuade him from trying to engage in reasoned debate going forwards ...

But yes, Caulker, loan, good deal.

What examples of reasoned debate have we had in the last decade? What you are saying is true if we didn't get the same comments next summer. Then the summer after that and the summer after that etc.

Let's see. Depth means little if the first team isn't as strong. We'll see enough how far the new recruits can fill in what are some pretty large holes, areas that have defined our footballing identity.

Agree with this, was just speaking re depth.

Certainly jury out on Cedric's 1v1 defending which hasnt been tested in the friendlies and was a key strength of Clyne, plus also Clasie's adaptation to the pace of the PL.

But in terms of options we will have more than last year if we get another CB and DM.

Decent loan signing imo. Did well at Swansea and Cardiff, not so great at QPR. Reminds me a little of Dean Richards - touted as the next big thing from an early age only to struggle to fulfil his potential - before joining us and reviving his career. Hopefully Caulker turns out to be as good as Richards was for us.

Reminds me of Deano too. Also a big unit and a bit of an old style centre half, which gives us options - sign VVD and centre back is probably our strongest position.

The standard of football was **** in those days. No offense meant.

Really? Moore. Charlton. Greaves. Osgood. Ball, Best, Marsh etc. I accept that the players and the game weren't as quick then but they had to play on quagmires in the winter. I am sure that the best players in the 60s and 70s would still be decent if they were around now. The also had to put up with tackling that would see players arrested now! And I still maintain that the Brazil side of 1970 was the best I have ever seen.

Edited by sadoldgit
sp

RK just said there's an option in the presser, take it there's some sort of understanding.

Yep, my understanding is that we have the option to purchase, and that if we decide to take it up, QPR can't buy us out of it. Thus me saying "no buy-out option".

Really? Moore. Charlton. Greaves. Osgood. Ball, Best, Marsh etc. I accept that the players and the game weren't as quick then but they had to play on quagmires in the winter. I am sure that the best players in the 60s and 70s would still be decent if they we around now. The also had to put up with tackling that would see players arrested now! And I still maintain that the Brazil side of 1970 was the best I have ever seen.

Spot on.

Is there a name for the phenomena where your first reaction to a potential signing is "hell no, you have to be kidding me" that slowly progress to "this may be the best signing of the summer window"?

Seems to happen to me more than a few times over the years. Maybe it's part of being a fan. Or maybe I badly want it to be the case, that I find away to convince myself.

But I got to say, the more I learn and dig into it, the better I feel about the move.

Really? Moore. Charlton. Greaves. Osgood. Ball, Best, Marsh etc. I accept that the players and the game weren't as quick then but they had to play on quagmires in the winter. I am sure that the best players in the 60s and 70s would still be decent if they we around now. The also had to put up with tackling that would see players arrested now! And I still maintain that the Brazil side of 1970 was the best I have ever seen.

The Brazil v England game in the 1970 world cup is still the best international match I have ever seen. Would have liked to have seen the 1970 Brazil v the 1974 Dutch, what a game that would have been !!

Definitely had their fingers burnt by Toby, the lying scheming c**t.

Harsh! How do you know that he lied and schemed? He may well have been happy to stay here before he knew that Spurs were in for him. People change their minds when they get better options. He has moved on, time you did too.