Koemans new squad.

scotty

Has anyone else on here considered the possibility that Les Reeds words about no players leaving, except on our own terms and because we wished them to leave, might have been accurate? And that the slew of players being shipped out at very high prices may have been initiated by RK, in order to allow him to build his own squad rather than work with what he was bequeathed? :suspicious:

Has anyone else on here considered the possibility that Les Reeds words about no players leaving, except on our own terms and because we wished them to leave, might have been accurate? And that the slew of players being shipped out at very high prices may have been initiated by RK, in order to allow him to build his own squad rather than work with what he was bequeathed? :suspicious:

No is the simple answer

It's clear that this is not a spontaneous occurrence, this has been planned for a long time which is precisely why NC left and Kat decided to appoint a motivational speaker rather than a football chairman. She thought he would be the best person to spoon feed us bullshi!t. I don't know what her motivations are but I suspect it's purely a money generating exercise now rather than progressive football club.

Could be, but isn't. Besides, no chance we will spend all the money on players. Will be lucky to spend half.

This is the key to me, not just what happens this window, but also January and next window. I would not expect us to spend all the money now, but will be interesting to see what happens further down the line. Also there is no point in spending the money for the sake it it.

As bad as it looks now - I'm going to hold fire until I see what our squad looks like next season, and how they perform.

This is the key to me, not just what happens this window, but also January and next window. I would not expect us to spend all the money now, but will be interesting to see what happens further down the line. Also there is no point in spending the money for the sake it it.

As bad as it looks now - I'm going to hold fire until I see what our squad looks like next season, and how they perform.

could very well be in the championship by then

Despite the conspiracy theories, this is the most likely scenario. I think RK probably feels the bids we are getting are too big to turn down and that he can replace them with equal/better players for much less than we're getting. Clubs competing for the top 4 can't afford to take many risks, hence the premium they're prepared to pay for premier league proven players.

The only deal we have done that I wouldn't have sanctioned is Chambers (think he'll be worth 20m+ in a few years) but 16m is hardly peanuts. It's still a good fee for a player with only 20 odd starts under his belt

Koeman is p*ssing himself laughing at the ridiculous over the top prices were being offered for our bros! He comes from a league where you can buy a first team right back for £400k

Could be, but isn't. Besides, no chance we will spend all the money on players. Will be lucky to spend half.

See, that's another point. Reed said that money from player sales would be reinvested in the squad, but didn't actually say how. It might have been on higher wages for incoming players as well as transfer fees. Mourinho was quoted earlier as saying Chelsea (who presumably would have been Shaws preferred club, being a fan) couldn't afford his wages of 100k per week.

I tend to the view that panic time, should it arrive, comes at the end of the window and not before.

I don't post a lot but I do read this forum every day - I cant see someone of the calibre of Ronald Koeman joining this set up with his brother etc. and not knowing what was/would/is happening with players. I am sure he would like to bring in his own players and whereas normally this would take some time (maybe even a season) then he has a golden opportunity to start with nearly a blank canvas. The priority is always Southampton Football Club - no individual is greater or more important than that. I believe we may struggle at the start of the season (opposite to last year) but will be definitely a top 10 team by the season end - I think we will finish at least 8th. I think 3 or 4 signings wont come until near the end of the transfer window although if Lovren/Chambers goes this weekend than at least one of them will be replaced next week.

I don't post a lot but I do read this forum every day - I cant see someone of the calibre of Ronald Koeman joining this set up with his brother etc. and not knowing what was/would/is happening with players. I am sure he would like to bring in his own players and whereas normally this would take some time (maybe even a season) then he has a golden opportunity to start with nearly a blank canvas. The priority is always Southampton Football Club - no individual is greater or more important than that. I believe we may struggle at the start of the season (opposite to last year) but will be definitely a top 10 team by the season end - I think we will finish at least 8th. I think 3 or 4 signings wont come until near the end of the transfer window although if Lovren/Chambers goes this weekend than at least one of them will be replaced next week.

I think you should go back to viewing and not posting if you seriously are predicting 8th.

I think you should go back to viewing and not posting if you seriously are predicting 8th.

Absolutely. It seems you must help bulk buy Saints branded incontinence pads to have any validity to your view.

No, unless he is completly insane, and anyway the remark was made before Koeman was appointed.

Maybe with the prize assets like Lovren,Shaw & lallana,not with players like Chambers who we should be making sure goes nowhere as he is clearly one for the future,if he fulfils his potential and moves to CB his value could easily triple

I can understand why everyone seems upset,this transfer makes it feel like it really is open season on the team

The only saving grace the board can do now is announce 3-4 players at once,I am hoping Guans statement of going after all our players at once come off,but I highly doubt it as the board have shown over the last few years that it can only do one transfer at a time and even that takes longer than your average deal

Hard to not be worried at this moment in time

Absolutely. See my other recent posts.

No, unless he is completly insane, and anyway the remark was made before Koeman was appointed.

It wasn't a remark, it was a clear statement. How many players were actually sold before Koemans appointment?

All I'm saying is that we're all assuming the exodus is just top sides pillaging defenceless little Saints for the cream of our players, and that we're therefore f*cked and getting relegated. It is just possible that as Paul.Studio suggests, the player sales might have been approved or even initiated by Koeman. Maybe he doesn't think the players shipped out would fit with the tactics or formation he plans to play, or work with the type of side he wants to build. There seemed to be a general consensus that getting Koeman in was a hell of a coup after Poch left.

I think you should apologise to Paul your post is disgraceful.

He has every right to post his thoughts which are pretty coherent compared to your rantings just calm down

Nope, I think this theory is garbage.

If this were true, it would be an evolution process, not resembling a purge.

And they would be able to tell us that strategy.

I think the club assets are being liquidated so Fat Kat can get her money back, and she appointed a team to bullsh*t/humour us while this was going on whilst bringing in a big name manager who has been conned whilst buying a couple of players from the continent on cheap fees and wages to make it appear its not all in one direction. Clearly she has a high opnion of our intelligence.

I think the club assets are being liquidated so Fat Kat can get her money back, and she appointed a team to bullsh*t/humour us while this was going on whilst bringing in a big name manager who has been conned whilst buying a couple of players from the continent on cheap fees and wages to make it appear its not all in one direction. Clearly she has a high opnion of our intelligence.

This is still not appropriate lardy.

Why did they get Koeman in then, instead of someone like sherwood? And how did they persuade him? He can't have come cheap, and having finished 2nd, 3rd and 2nd in the Eredivisie I cant see why he'd come here to oversee an asset-stripping exercise. At one point Spurs were after him before they signed Poch, but he turned them down. Why would he then agree to come here to conduct a fire sale?

Do you know people might take your opinions a bit more seriously if they excluded unpleasant personal references to people not in a position to answer back. I met you once and seem to remember you weren't exactly a well rounded attractive physical specimen yourself.

Koeman won't last the season.

Neither will most of the players I think. Just as well we aren't a selling club. Even IF there's nothing suspicious going on (what with all the players all leaving at once) I'd be surprised if all this gutting of the squad isn't having a negative effect on our transfers in.. I mean who would really want to come here right now? Except if they want to join Liverpool by Aug 31st.

Oh, I see...

From my own point of view, I was informed that RK decided that Lovren was toxic and that the damage he could do to morale would outweigh and benefit that 'making a stand' would bring. He wants Morgan to stay. But I doubt he thought that Chambers was a loon, and that 16million was just too good a price to turn down.

No wonder we're having to offer contracts to every 12 year old with a decent pass...

I am not sure our sales strategy will put off too many players. Any player who wants to get to an English PL club would see us as a great stepping stone, and if that is their goal then we can be sure that we will get a couple of seasons of superb performances if they want to achieve that goal. The same applies to young English players, better to get to Chelsea via Southampton than rot in the Chelsea youth system. We should be able to pick up the cream of youth players.

I reckon that there's a bit of that and a bit of players and their agents chasing their wallets

I think Koeman is letting those he regards as being disruptive and divisive go. He's allowing the negative wannabe players to go in order to build a team. Problem is that the premadonnas are the players who will keep us in this league. We are losing too many. Far too many.

Koeman has a problem - he can't tell us that the wantaways are poisonous and unprofessional, we admire them for last season. He also can't tell prospective buyers that they are unprofessional and poisonous because their value goes down.

I feel for him. This is mass cull of talented but negative tossers. A firesale of damaged goods. At least I hope it is. Its the only positive explanation I can think of. The alternative is tha KL is cashing in and about to run away.

The proof will come out soon. But the indicator of the latter theory will be a simple totalling up of money in from sales and money out to replace them with quality professionals who want to wear our shirt with pride for Koeman. That can be done on 1 Sep. If we have not replaced and have not spent what we have made, start to worry.

I hope I'm right, I hope Chambers, Schneiderlin, Lallana, Lovren, Shaw and whoever else deserts are a bunch of poisonous unprofessionals.... but I am not so sure. Something poisoned our team. Liverpool? Rodgers? World Cup[ fame? Money? Agents? Woy Hodgson? or was it MoPo? I am beginning to wonder if it was the latter. I am beginning to wonder if MoPo planted the negativity within a clique of players? Regardless, Koeman has his work cut out. I don't care what people have posted about the Bournemouth game, for me is was a whole level of quality below what we have become accustomed to.

This is a ridiculous assertation. Anyone wanting to change a squad would do so gradually over a season or two as most managers actually do.

How is any player expected to want to join us, when it is plain to all, few of the team we built here, want to stay.

The question should be why is this the case and how was it allowed to happen by those in charge (was it just incompetence or planned all the time?)

Something poisoned our team. Liverpool? Rodgers? World Cup[ fame? Money? Agents? Woy Hodgson? or was it MoPo?

££££££££££. They want to go and earn substantially more money elsewhere. Lallana's dad even said that to a poster who is friends with him.

££££££££££. They want to go and earn substantially more money elsewhere. Lallana's dad even said that to a poster who is friends with him.

I thought fathers were supposed to advise their children against greed and enlighten them on other qualities that the longterm can deliver - like legendary status and respect akin to that which Le Tiss and others receive. Lallana's dad can be added to the list of poisoners in my opinion, but to be fair to him he may have tried - Lallana's arrogance appeared to know no boundaries by the time he left, cemented by his clumsy thank you in The Echo.

Perhaps it is time to stop selling players and replace them with better ones - I will be convinced when that happens and when we see the results on the playing field.

Agreed 100%, but your line 'and replace them with better ones', is the thing that worries me. I think its a very easy prediction to make but I am convinced we will not spend our transfer kitty in this transfer window, in January and probably even by the end of next summer too. I'm standing by with my calculator on 1 Sep!! :)

This is a ridiculous assertation. Anyone wanting to change a squad would do so gradually over a season or two as most managers actually do.

How is any player expected to want to join us, when it is plain to all, few of the team we built here, want to stay.

The question should be why is this the case and how was it allowed to happen by those in charge (was it just incompetence or planned all the time?)

Not any sort of assertation. I asked whether anybody else had considered the possibility. I have no inside information about the club, but it seems unlikely to me that Koeman would have come here and had no influence whatsoever on the outgoing transfers.

I thought fathers were supposed to advise their children against greed and enlighten them on other qualities that the longterm can deliver - like legendary status and respect akin to that which Le Tiss and others receive. Lallana's dad can be added to the list of poisoners in my opinion, but to be fair to him he may have tried - Lallana's arrogance appeared to know no boundaries by the time he left, cemented by his clumsy thank you in The Echo.

He seemed pretty sensible to me. I wouldn't think he tried to influence him. I think from what he said it was very much down to the money. It did come over that LR wasn't respected and that from their point of view he wasn't much use.

This is very much as I see it and if we get those 4-5 players I think we will have a very bright future. Koeman is no idiot and knows what he is doing. It could turn out to be very exciting but it's not fashionable to have that view on here - too many pee stained underpants being thrown around.

If Arsenal want to pay 16m for a kid with 20 odd starts to his name and pay him 50-60k per week then I'm afraid it's they who are ****ing mental.

Hypo's response to your post was unnecessary, but as you'll have picked up already he is a viewed by most people as a bit of a ***t.

If Arsenal want to pay 16m for a kid with 20 odd starts to his name and pay him 50-60k per week then I'm afraid it's they who are ****ing mental.

Yeah because the Ox and Walcott were ****ing mental decisions too right?

And look how well they've done there. Waste of money Arsenal; Cortese stuck it so much to them that they're still paying us loads every time Oxlade plays.

Quite well actually not on Bale's level maybe, but overall they have been good. Walcott was class before getting injured and that's considered the reason they fell by the way side. And for the Ox he's still only 20!

I too am an avid reader/never poster but have to say I pretty much echo this. For me, Koeman coming to the club is the over-riding significance. Surely he is being paid a significant sum... will have been given significant assurances etc (probably around him having a lot of say in what goes on) and in which case literally only time will tell. Let's see where we are when the transfer window closes.

I suppose the small caveat has to be around whether RK has actually been screwed over himself but at this stage I can't see it.