Support for English clubs in the CL

Fitzhugh Fella

I have always wondered why Saints fans (and fans from other teams not in the CL) support English clubs when they play in the Champions League. Their success just boosts their spending power and we all know what happens next.

For me I hope Liverhampton, Arsenal, Citeh and Chelski all get knocked out at the first hurdle and maybe then the Prem can be conducted on a slightly more level playing field.

The CL is killing the future for clubs like Saints and does not deserve our support.

Many other nations play in the Champions League but do not feature the same levels of domination by a select group of 4/5. Only two dominant clubs in Spain, 1 in Germany.

It's the Premier League itself that's the issue.

I have always wondered why Saints fans (and fans from other teams not in the CL) support English clubs when they play in the Champions League. Their success just boosts their spending power and we all know what happens next.

For me I hope Liverhampton, Arsenal, Citeh and Chelski all get knocked out at the first hurdle and maybe then the Prem can be conducted on a slightly more level playing field.

The CL is killing the future for clubs like Saints and does not deserve our support.

What difference does our support or otherwise make? I don't know of any Saints fans yet that are buyng Chelsea shirts and tickets for their CL games. Most people don't really care either way.

I agree FF, that the CL does no good for the majority of clubs. Not only does it bring even more riches to clubs, thus increasing the disparity between the very few haves and the majority that are have nots, but it has also ruined the PL. To a certain extent that is the fault of the FA, as the CL places are theirs to decide how they are filled. I would love the 4th spot to be given to the winners of the FA Cup. That would both reinvigorate the venerable competition, it would also give a chance to other clubs to participate at the feast. But no, the PL would never have that. The PL is selfish beyond belief, and SFC is included in this. It takes sooooo much money, when really there is enough to share around a lot more.

It's very easy for Saints fans (or maybe it is just me) to feel disillusioned with the PL/CL/state of football because of what has been going on over the past two months. To be honest I think that many of us knew well before then, when we were in the lower leagues and before that the whole thing was broken. No point going over all that again, but really, something needs to be done about the future otherwise the disparity is just going to get worse and worse, the competition more pointless if that is possible. But I have to ask, is anyone in the corridors of power, or involved in the PL or even the press, remotely concerned like more and more supporters are becoming? I suspect Randy Lerner is experiencing the problems that are manifesting themselves now. We certainly are. Both are very different, but the cause is the same. OK, there are a few reports coming out in the press but the majority seem to pander to the big clubs. Martin Samuels had a good piece about FFP hamstringing Villa's sale. I think when the shadnefreude surrounding our predicament has died down, and someone actually takes the time to examine how a club in a secure financial position can get ripped apart so easily (and let's try and avoid countering that with it's asset stripping) they might begin to question how what happened and that it cannot be good for the game. Maybe that is fanciful thinking, but certainly last season, at the beginning we garnered a lot of support. To me, and I might be wrong, it was nothing to do with some warm feeling towards Saints. It was just down to us sitting in 3rd place, having won at Liverpool and drawn at Utd, and being in the mix and temporarily breaking the predictability of the league.

Personally I find the Champions League thoroughly tedious until the knock out stages and even then it is only the second leg that is interesting. It represents everything that is bad in football; greed, egotistical players and encouraging young football fans to support a team where you have no geographical or cultural link to.

It does not even compare to how the FA Cup used to be and yet we let this annual bore that is stretched as far as they can to squeeze more and more money out of it, dilute the value of this contest. The FA Cup is a wonderful spectacle that represents all that is good with English football.

Yep agree , grass roots football and lower league clubs are impoverished whilst some clubs are paying 100k - 200k a week .It is obscene ,makes you wonder how it will end .The influx of continental players in the premier league could be seen reflected in our countries abject perform and at the World Cup .

I enjoyed last season but the big boys have just picked us off ,we were getting ahead of ourselves for a short while .It all seems a bit false ,looking back on the season ,our team captain and central defender ,thinking for about half the season playing for Liverpool.

I just hope our manager stays and gives us something to enjoy this season COYR

if the "love of money is the root of all evil'... no wonder so many footballers seem to have to pray after they've scored... they are asking for forgiveness.. for all the loving of money they've been doing... 'love of football is the root of all success'...